Nebo?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Nebo?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Nebo?

Coming from Bend OR next week to meet a friend in central UT for some XC riding. We are thinking about trails in the Nebo area (Blackhawk?) Are the trails here worth it? I heard rumors of lots of horse traffic. Then we might head down to Good Water Rim. Any suggestions/comments appreciated. Thanks.

Perpetual n00b
    Good Water Rim is a nice and easy XC trail with great views. Take a camera.
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Its hard to know the conditions of the Nebo trails ( or Payson Lakes, depending on who you ask ) I've had perfect buff singletrack, and frozen cow mud prints for miles...with all the rain we've had, I would say its not a bad time to try.

If you're just into riding down, you can shuttle Bennie creek. If you're a real mountain biker, there's a good loop that starts at the bottom of Bennie and loops up and around and back down - start with a bit on pavement, then make a counter-clock-wise loop. Check utahmountainbiking.com/skidmap for details. Roughly, up the pave, rock creek to shram creek ( fun ), sheepheader ( cutoff ) rock creek to frank young canyon to black hawk . Its a big loop, but there are tons of options. If you're super tough, cross the pavement up at holeman canyon and start black hawk there...but make sure you brough your riding legs and get ready for some abuse.

The decent down Bennie is sweet.

The 5th water-2nd water ride is also a good option if you're coming in from that direction as well. ( Diamond fork ) Again, lots of good info on utahmountainbiking.com

Finally, if you don't want to risk it so much, just go all the way to American Fork and ride up there.

mtbr member
    2nd a camera at Goodwater. Nice views.

Blackhawk is fun enough, I guess. The good: Pretty empty trails except the occasional horseback rider or motorcycle rider. The bad: Cows, and the trails look it and smell it. I've done it a few different times over the last few years (nice camping at Payson lakes for the kids to play in the water) and it's been the same. For a better option (my opinion) look to American Fork Canyon or Park City.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Good info from slcpunk. Diamond fork can be plagued with cows too...I once headed up 2nd water and got behind a herd of cows near the bottom. Well, it's a canyon, and they think you're driving them, and try as I might, I couldn't get around them, even HAB off trail. They finally peeled off in a side canyon just before Ray's valley road, but by then (4 or 5 miles?) I and my bike were covered in trail guacamole.

Yeah, not a big fan of riding where cows are ranged.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Johnny and the punk, thanks for the quick replies

Yeah, cow pooh pretty much sucks. Cows and horses aren't really an issue where I typically ride.

Wow, I didn't realize the American Fork area had that many options, I'll have to look closer at that idea. Any camping suggestions convenient to the trails?

mtbr member
    There are a lot of developed campgrounds in American Fork Canyon. Timpanookee would be one that might work pretty well. I think it's very popular though. There is also camping (free, I think) on the dirt road just past Tibble fork reservoir. Other campgrounds too, but I think those would work ok depending on what trails you wanted to do.