Near Park City or SLC? ...care to offer up some info?- Mtbr.com
    surly inbred

New question here. Near Park City or SLC? ...care to offer up some info?

Hey all,

I've decided to start my mid-life crisis 20 years early (so I can still get some quality ride time in ) I've narrowed down my move from upstate NY to this area and hope to be packing by springtime. I have a couple friends out there (with established careers), but they tend to be biased and paint a very rosy picture. Anyone care to offer up some good advice to an outsider? I'm curious about towns outside of PC (lower cost of living) and also trying to get an accurate picture of the job market & economy. Having never obtained a degree I'll likely start out at the bottom again but don't want to live off PB&J's again...lol. Any colleges in town or nearby? Taxes & such?

Appreciate any insight...
    ~mud

ps.. single guy & no commitments so the the decision was easy, just a matter of hammering out details. I'm tired of looking at the pics of Wasatch.. I need front row!

SXtreem now
    you will love it here. i just moved here from SoCal 3 months ago. some of the best mtb riding iv ever done, the views are breathtacking. there are a ton of collages here, University of Utah(sweet urban free ridding), UVSC(utah vally state collage), BYU(if ur mormon), Utah State University. Sandy is a nice town, just south of SLC. Little Cottonwood cyn is a 10 min drive, Snowbird is 20 min drive, *****n downhill trails. there is plenty of work around, dont know what you do but its not hard to find a job. state tax is around .7%. if your intrested in buying a home, you can get into something decent for 95-150K. 1-2 bedroom appartment 450-1200 a month. start packn man.......

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Pc / Slc

Sounds like housing costs are a concern - I'd reccomend against living in Park City. It's expensive. Heber's really nice and affordable, but small and a decent commute to SLC. SLC is quite affordable, especially away from the fashionable zip codes (like the Avenues).

Dr. Pepper drinker

good move....

My wife and I quit our jobs and moved to SLC from Iowa last November and, while I expected to have a great time, things have really exceeded my expectations. One of my buddies moved here about 5 years back and some friends and I would make a trip or two out this way every year to ride Fruita and Moab and then just relax in SLC for a few days and ususally go camping/wakeboarding at the lakes up in the mountains. Seemed like a fun town and we decided just to give living here a shot. I had no idea how much great riding there was in the immediate area, not to mention in Moab, Fruita, St. George, etc, all within 4-5 hours drive. Rumor is there is some decent hiking and snowboarding/skiing here if that's your thing too.

Contrary to popular belief, SLC is a pretty fun town too, good size but still a smaller town feel to it and a lot less big city hassles in terms of traffic, pollution, cost of living, etc. While the mormon population here is huge and definitely makes its infuence felt, it isn't nearly as big a deal as people who haven't been here make it out to be. That said, be prepared to take endless amounts of crap from friends/family about being converted and getting multiple wives. They'll take it all back when they come to visit. Drop a message if you have any questions about the move, I'm far from being a SLC expert but would be glad to try and help with whatever.

surly inbred
    Quote Originally Posted by RMXtreem
    you will love it here...
    Quote Originally Posted by catch22
    things have really exceeded my expectations
    thanks for justifing my train of thought

Heber City is definitely on my list.. looks a like an easy commute to SLC and close to PC. I'm currently in a position as an operations mgr and hope to utilize that experience to find something out west. Most likely, I would try to jump into the construction/landscaping arena while I get settled. Along the same lines, an apartment would suit me until the dust settles.. are they widely available? Looks to me like the condo situation is very prevelant, or maybe that's just surrounding the resorts. SLC sounds like a great city, but I'm definitely country material (hence the reason for getting out of dodge)

Thanks for all the input...
    ~mud

ps... can anyone point to the local newspapers' websites? should be a good starting point.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

vote for Heber area....

Lived in Park City area for over 8 years, been down in Heber area for 5+. We love it. AFFORDABLE, 15 minutes to PC, 35-40 to SLC. Unbelieveable riding out the backdoor both road and mtn. And the riding season lasts amonth longer than PC and comes a month sooner. Both the wife and I work on the road and the commutes are very easy and straightforward and there is something about living in a quiet rural community. FYI the area is becoming much more diverse as far as religious undertones. More open minded individuals and such moving to the area along w/ more athletic/outdoorsy folk. I left VT 12-13 years ago and wouldn't move back. This area has it all.....

hope this helps

D

Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by RMXtreem
    University of Utah(sweet urban free ridding), Little Cottonwood cyn is a 10 min drive, Snowbird is 20 min drive, *****n downhill trails. ..
    Where are the downhill trails at in/around Snowbird? I've heard about them. Do they have any north shore stunts? Also, where's the best urban spot at the U?
    thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Spjute
    Where are the downhill trails at in/around Snowbird? I've heard about them. Do they have any north shore stunts? Also, where's the best urban spot at the U?
    thanks
    The trail that was going from snowbird to the quary trail got closed and I believe they are enforcing it. You still can go from the top of albion basin, through alta, snowbird and all the way to the river.. After that get back on the road as you arrive in what I believe is the closed area.

For the U, the whole area is a good spot per say..
    Look at this vid I didlast year for ideas
    http://endorphin.free.fr/street_in_SLC.wmv

mtbr member

Another vote for Heber/Midway...

I lived in Midway, 5 minutes from Heber, for just over a year and loved it. Alta825 summed it up pretty well. Although the commute to SLC started to become tedious, particularly in the winter months. Depending on where you work in the SLC valley plan on giving yourself a solid 1.5-2 hours, or more with snow, each way. Also a great place to live if you fly fish with several blue ribbon fisheries in your backyard.

surly inbred
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    Also a great place to live if you fly fish with several blue ribbon fisheries in your backyard.
    yes...that's the other reason I want to move.

If I'm not on the trail, I plan to be on the water. I found fly-fishing a couple years ago and can't get enough. If everyone would just get a bike, fly-rod & a dog there'd be no need for anti-depressants.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muddog999
    If everyone would just get a bike, fly-rod & a dog there'd be no need for anti-depressants.
    Amen! You sound like good people.

While Utah has plenty of choice fly fishing it is by far the best in west. If you truely don't mind four season and the associated colder climate and snow why not keep going north up to Idaho/Wyoming/Montana region. Personally if I had my druthers I'd be in Driggs Idaho, Livingston Montana, or Pinedale Wyoming.

mtbr member
    Main local paper here is on sltrib.com, decent classifieds section. Best local site for real estate is slcity.com. I live in a condo in the Salt Lake Valley, and I bike my brains out in the wasatch, as well as Moab and St. Geogre. In fact I'm currently recovering from a broken femur from riding the Gooseberry in St. George (See avatar picture). There is a condo for-sale-by-owner in my complex, 1100sqft, 1 bed, 1.5bath, w/ cool loft that can be used as extra bedroom. Probably would be about $120k. Let me know if you want me to send you their phone number.

Here's a little preview of what you have to look forward too in St. George: http://home.comcast.net/~donbogardus...erry/index.htm

Give me a shout when you get in town and we'll ride, anyone who moves across the country for riding is okay in my book!

I Just Ride....

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Try these...

Quote Originally Posted by muddog999
    ps... can anyone point to the local newspapers' websites? should be a good starting point.
    http://www.slweekly.com/

SLC has http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/ now!

Also, www.sltrib.com

And.. www.mtbbrian.com

Good Luck!
    Brian
    Artistic Mountain Bike Photography
    My MTBR Gallery
    "I Ride my bike, to Ride my bike...."
    From a Zen proverb

Aug 2004

SLC/ Heber??????

SLC/Heber.....You fools are nuts. Salt Lake is the land of inversion and other crappy climatic conditions(mormons). Heber is cool if you like rednecks. They don't usually like cyclists. Park City, Jeremy Ranch, Kimball Junction, Immigration Canyon. Those are the spots to live. Only PC has any nightlife. Rent is cheaper in PC than it is in most of NY or the eastern seaboard.

Mar 2004

PC is my vote

My husband and I just relocated to upstate NY 3 months ago after living in Logan, UT. Logan is 90 miles north of SLC. We spent 7 short months in UT. Unfortunately, for professional reasons we ended up leaving so soon. Logan certainly had appeal however, it was just way too small for us. We craved more diversity. We ended up spending most of our weekends in either PC or SLC with friends. In fact, we would still be in UT if we were able to reside in either of those 2 towns. Since you will be moving from upstate NY you will see how much more home you will be able to afford. Seriuosly, you won't have to factor taxes into your mortgage. The taxes here in NY are insane! The weather suck too! I don't think I've seen the sun for more 15 days since we moved here. Sorry for the rant. You will love UT. PC isn't that pricey. You can still find townhomes on the outskirts of town in the 250k-275k range. If you want some land in PC forget it! Just don't bring a NY attitude . The more easy going you are the easier it will be to assilmilate.

mtbr member
    If everyone would just get a bike, fly-rod & a dog....
    Add to that a canoe or kayak, some skis, rock climbing gear, and plenty of vacation days. You will have some kind of sport to do any day of the week here, during any season.

Up here in Logan, there are mountains just as beautiful (on a slightly smaller scale) and fewer people to use them.

I also packed up and left my home state of Indiana to move out West when I was 23. I didn't know anyone. However, I met my husband the day I arrived in Utah!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by potatohead
    ...You fools are nuts...crappy climatic conditions(mormons)...Heber is cool if you like rednecks. They don't usually like cyclists...Only PC has any nightlife...
    Man you really are a potatohead.

Mar 2004

On second thought...

SLC is definitely going to be more affordable. I'm not sure if your fresh outta school, I know when I was I certainly was poe. If your are established in your career and making a decent income PC might just be doable. Also if you have kids, PC schools are the best in the state. Just some random thoughts.

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon-UT
    Add to that a canoe or kayak, some skis, rock climbing gear, and plenty of vacation days. You will have some kind of sport to do any day of the week here, during any season.

Up here in Logan, there are mountains just as beautiful (on a slightly smaller scale) and fewer people to use them.

I also packed up and left my home state of Indiana to move out West when I was 23. I didn't know anyone. However, I met my husband the day I arrived in Utah!
    Hi Shannon

How's life in the Cache Valley?

kelly

mtbr member
    Hi Kelly! All is well over here in CV. Thanks for asking. We just bought ourselves some telemark ski setups to get more into the Utah powder. I've only tried it 2x so far, so I've got many years to get better at it. I think I'm going to St. George next weekend. Crazy, you ski one weekend, then bike the next!

How is NY? Are you staying there long? My husband has family up by Lake Lucerne.

Cleavage Of The Tetons

Wink I have a bike shop in Driggs....(Wanna buy it?)

;
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    Amen! You sound like good people.

While Utah has plenty of choice fly fishing it is by far the best in west. If you truely don't mind four season and the associated colder climate and snow why not keep going north up to Idaho/Wyoming/Montana region. Personally if I had my druthers I'd be in Driggs Idaho, Livingston Montana, or Pinedale Wyoming.
    It is a fantabulous place to live, but the biking can sometimes be heartbreaking. We can have really, really long winters, and snowy summers, too. Overall it is great, but we trail junkies do drive to St. George, Moab, Fruita, etc, way too much to feed the jones. However, if you also love fresh powder and world class angling, Driggs is the perfect ticket. Many jobs in Jackson, houses in the $200- $300 range, apartments in the $500-$700 zone.