Myocardial infarction- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Myocardial infarction

Climb that you can't clear, but will kill you someday for trying?
    Sometimes Rickety, not a turd

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    The top of the Mormon Trail coming from Jeremy Ranch.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Puke Hill for me!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I can swing that one, but it might kill me someday at the lot. Up from the other side, after you cross the road. I haven't been able to make it to the bridge in the last four years.
    (John reply)
    Last edited by Turd; 07-13-2017 at 08:18 PM. Reason: No "

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahJohn View Post
    The top of the Mormon Trail coming from Jeremy Ranch.
    Same. That is heinous for me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by drboudreaux View Post
    heinous

Affleck Park to Birch Springs, then eat shat desending upper Killyon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Truthfully, I have a handful of grunts that I have used over the years to set the bar of fitness and enjoy as a chalange. Genetically my legs have gas but getting older and red lining is a trip. Don't want to be that Early 40's guy that invites the family to a surprise funeral.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Myocardial infarction-not-fun.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    My backyard is Round Valley, so most of mine are short, steep, loose climbs.

Backside climb to Trailside Bikepark from Happy Gilmore/TM saddle (I've gotten this once)

Kids sled hill climb on Northern side of RV that you can access from Silver Summit Parkway (I've almost got it, but not enough gas)

Rademan Ridge climb from the South (I can get the shorter one from the North almost everytime, but have never gotten close on this one, as it is long, ledgy and always loose with real no places to to slow your spin and catch your breath)

Frame Building Moderator Moderator
    That climb next to the zoo is freaking steep for sure, Turd.

I never quite managed the Van Cott climb. Then again I'm not sure the top part is rideable.

Mt. Wire is mostly rideable but a lung might come out. Plus it's not even fun going back down.

Not much in PC that fits the bill.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I've only done Mormon once, but it is way worse to me than Puke Hill, because not only is it steep but it's loose too. One slip and you are done.

If it's harder than the Mormon climb, I wouldn't even try so really it's easier. For me, because I'm over 50 and fat.

On those tough ones, I always do my best if I hold myself to go as slow as possible on the up, rather than driving hard and blowing up.

Even the ROAD up to Guardsman from the BCC side is a brutal climb. The last half mile is 18% grade for a stretch and you are over 9500'. I have to weave on the road just to keep moving....

And I hear it's worse up from Midway LOL

Quote Originally Posted by drboudreaux View Post
    Same. That is heinous for me.

mtbr member
    It's the climbs that I've been able to clear so far, that I will throw myself at when I'm 75 that are gonna kill me! That gives me ten years, I guess.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    [QUOTE=Walt;13247835]Mt. Wire is mostly rideable but a lung might come out. Plus it's not even fun going back down.

I have not tried from the Living Room side, is that the “easy” way?

Red line: Disaster, you can ride the bottom 50-60% and then it becomes a tangled bike on shoulder embarrassment.

Purple line: Not that technical but to steep. I push the top 3rd now, ridable if I do 80yds at a time, gave up on that. Probably impossible to ride the final pitch. Wonder how far a climbing freak could go without a dab on that one.

Black line: “Road” down on an older 26” hardtail with a blown SID, it was a bit too much.

I like riding back and forth on the Mt. Wire ridge a few times a year to look around and space out, more of a novelty ride.
    Myocardial infarction-wire.jpg

I have only done Wire from the Living Room side. It's all rideable until past the living room turnoff, but VERY steep. Then it's about 80% rideable after that, with a couple of hike-a-bikes that you could get up only if willing to hop a lot/do trials.

The sad thing is that the south face of Wire is maybe the most awesome terrain imaginable for bench-cut contour trail. You could do a really nice trail all the way up that would have nice sight lines and be enjoyable for all sorts of folks, then redesign the Living room side a bit (or use another drainage) for a DH-only trail.

But SLC will never spend a dime on a trail.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Unfortunately because of this thread I was dumb enough to ride down canyon and check out Van Cott this weekend.
    Years ago I took a peek from the red butte side but just kind of figured it was a homeless camp trail. Hot festering hot-hot nasty turd of a ride from the red side. I think I saw God and he just looked at me like some lost fool and closed the gate.

Yeah, from the Red Butte side you can take a left (north) at the fork on the north side of the canyon and it goes for about 3/4 mile, then it's a hike a bike for a long time.

From the Dry Creek side (right above Huntsman) it's more rideable. I think in theory all rideable. But not by me. I can do the first half, and I can do the traverse onto the ridge if I rest up a bunch first and conditions are good. But the very top, I dunno.

"Fun" to try, though.

-Walt

Speaking of which, if you want to just puke quick, you can ride up from the U to the little weather monitoring station on the north side of Red Butte canyon. It's not long enough for the full infarction, but still hurts a lot.

-Walt

Members who have read this thread: 1