My bikes ok for MOAB?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

New question here. My bikes ok for MOAB?

Hey guys.
    My buddy and I are gonna be heading out to Moab for about a week ealry/mid June.

I've got a Cannondale Jekyll 2000 with a Fox Float RC 3" (with lock out) on the back, 3" Lefty on the front.

My other bike which my buddy will be riding is:

an old, old, old, Gary Fisher Joshua XO with Rock Shox Indy's up front 3"-4" i believe and 3"-4" Rock Shox Delux Shox in the back.

Both have been serviced and are in great shape, even tho they both have a lot of miles on them.

ANYWAY: Do these bikes have enough travel (suspension) to ride Moab?

mtbr member
    I've only ever ridden moab on hardtails, so yeah I would think so. It just depends on what you want to do.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Depends who's ridin' em. ;-)

But probably yes. If they don't, there's always good rentals at Poison Spider and they can even get you on a new bike if your frame breaks. (Say with conviction - "Honey, I had to get a new bike. . . . mine broke and we've been planning this trip for months!")

NOT Team Sanchez
    Porc was harsh on a 7x7 FR rig...........but there was an army of hardtails so I guess it can be uncomfortably done.
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks guys, I feel better about draggn my bikes out there with me. I'm not stranger to mtn biking, i've been riding since i could stand. I've just never rode out west. My feeling is that as long as I don't do any 15'+ drops both bikes should handle well

mtbr member
    I have rode a rigid ss 29er in Moab many times. Everything is doable, as long as you choose your lines according to your ability. Have fun....

mtbr member
    I rode the slickrock trail in moab on a hardtail bike with only 3" travel in the front fork once. It wasn't ideal but it worked. It depends on how hard you want to ride and what trails you are riding.

mtbr member
    Depends on the trail - Slickrock I think would be better on less suspension, probably hardtail. Lots of steep short climbs, its not like a rock strewn trail, although you're riding on a big rock the entire time with couple of sand patches.

Sovereign would be totally doable on a lesser suspension bike as well. Gemini - total hardtail easy trail. The wide open trails along the river canyons? Hardtail lesser suspension just fine.

Climbing Amasa back, likewise.

Now for the big descents like coming back down Amasa or LPS/Porc, sure more suspension is better, but just pick your lines accordingly, its still plenty of fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    You'll be fine. After you've done Moab you can make your own decision about whether to bring a different bike next time.

Like a lot of us here I rode Moab only on a fully rigid bike the first few times, then with a suspension fork, then with FS. I think it's better on a FS but every time I'm there I'm surrounded by riders on hard tails.

It's amazing that Moab now has this rep that scares someone who's never been about bringing whatever bike they're currently riding. Just ride like you always do and have fun.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

dedicated beater
    May 2009
    Slickrock is easily doable on a full rigid. I've done it twice now on a 1998 Mongoose Maneuver. Sure, I was a little saddle sore by the end, but it was a great time.

If you're looking for rides that are easy on equipment, you might want to check out Klondike Bluffs. It's not as techy as Slickrock, however the mile hike at the end into Arches Nat'l Park is more than worth it.

should know better.....
    You'll be fine, simply based on the fact that it sounds like your riding buddy will be similarly equipped bike-wise. If one of you had a hardtail, and the other a full on DH rig, then I'd say you might run into "ride compatibilty" issues, i.e. one or the other of you having to wait, either at the tops of longer climbs, or bottom of long descents.
    Enjoy it!
    "Always Ride."

-Anthony S.

Ride and Smile
    Those bikes are perfect if they are the only choices you have. If you have other choices, then they definitely do not have enough travel. There is a reason that in Moab, a 6" bike is considered an xc bike

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    My brother, a novice rider at best, rode Porcupine Rim on my 95 Yeti hardtail w/ a blown out shock last summer. You can ride any well-maintained bike (although an AM would be best).

mtbr member
    I rode there last year with a hardtail. It was my first time and I was very comfortable with that bike so I figured I'd take it along. I had a great time! I did everything I wanted to. The terrain in Moab pushed me more than I'm used to and I was very glad I had a bike I was completely familiar with and comfortable on.

Now, I'm planning on returning this fall and will likely be bringing my FS bike. The ride there is pretty rough FS will be a benefit. But I think the most important thing to have is a well maintained bike that you are comfortable with.

May 2009
    i went years ago on a Fisher Procaliber hardtail and it was fine.
    What's more i was riding 1.75" Schwalbe Hurricanes:. high pressure.
    You spend more time off the saddle that's all.
    With either a FS or not , your arms will get a beating anyway.

have fun.

Ride and Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by xassantex
    i went years ago on a Fisher Procaliber hardtail and it was fine.
    What's more i was riding 1.75" Schwalbe Hurricanes:. high pressure.
    You spend more time off the saddle that's all.
    With either a FS or not , your arms will get a beating anyway.

have fun.
    That's not close to the experience I've had. As I went from hardtail, to 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 inches of travel, the riding got way more fun with each bump up. I definitely rode harder, and got beat up less. And I was able to do things I had never done before.

No way would I say don't come to moab without a bike that suits the terrain. By all means, come and bring what you got and have a great time. But if you are riding a 4" xc rig and someone tells you its no different than anything else, don't believe them, it ain't true!

OTB 1 Tree=2 frac vert

Fs over Ht

Was just there for the first time last of this April, and knew no one. Staff at Poison Spider were very helpful. I took the shuttle up to the La Sal mtns for $20.00. They take you to 10,000 ft and drop you off, for 30 miles of absolute bliss. This is the Hazard trail shuttle. There are three times that leave 7:30-10:00-12:00 make sure you are at least half an hour early, first come -first served.Try to take the first shuttle.
    I took my 08 Giant Trance x0, and did well, however next time there is no way i'll take less than 7" for that ride. Take your bikes for the slickrock and lesser trails, and rent one for the shuttle.
    The trail is Hazard-UPS-Kokopelli-Porcupine rim. You can see many videos of the P rim on youtube. The shuttle will have you grinning for the rest of your life.
    In the morning drive your car up the river, and park there where P . rim trail end at the road. and ride in the cool into town. That way you are not riding a extra 5 miles in the heat back into town. It took me and two other guys 6 hours, Which one use to be guide there years ago. The other guy broke his rear derailluer and single speeded in. We all still ran out of water, with a hour left of riding.

Ride and Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by dtrancex
    The trail is Hazard-UPS-Kokopelli-Porcupine rim. You can see many videos of the P rim on youtube. The shuttle will have you grinning for the rest of your life.
    In the morning drive your car up the river, and park there where P . rim trail end at the road. and ride in the cool into town. That way you are not riding a extra 5 miles in the heat back into town. It took me and two other guys 6 hours, Which one use to be guide there years ago. The other guy broke his rear derailluer and single speeded in. We all still ran out of water, with a hour left of riding.
    Love that trail! Probably my favorite.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It's obvious from all of the above response that you'll be just fine. I would like to add that Moab became a mtn. biking mecca long before full suspension was the norm, even before front suspenion.

My first time down there was rigid all around, had a blast. My second (or third?) time was with my fancy shmancy Manitou Sports which boasted a full 3/4" of travel (I think), man that was plush....had a blast!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for all the responses! Got back from Moab last week and it was a blast. I've never been more impressed with the Jykell then while riding it out there! It hit all the drops I wanted it to and with the fox float rc on the back the lock out helped with the climbs! We hit slick rock, baby steps, and porkepine rim trails in the first few days.
    My buddies step sister came along also and rode a hard tail, she was a trooper and held up with the FS's.
    Anyway, thanks for the posts.

Members who have read this thread: 1