MTB-themed hotel to be built at Bar-M trails in Moab- Mtbr.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The title of the thread is a bit misleading, as far as what I gathered they aren't building anything significant, probably just converting whats already there....

"Responding to the changing interests of Moab’s tourists, the owners of the proposed “HandleBar Ranch” – formerly the Bar-M Chuckwagon – are planning to transition the 45-acre parcel from its western themed, “mom-and-pop” roots into a high quality, mountain bike-focused gathering space."

A brew pub and decent bike shop there would be nice for the times you dont feel like driving back into town.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    This is a good idea and use for that site. I thought it was a dead zone long ago. We could use a watering hole there! Cheap lodging instead of $350 a night would be very good. RV parks and lodging in Moab is getting expensive if you want to spend more than a few nights there. Of course the state lands folks want to maximize revenue so they may want a Hilton or whatever.

If someone is giving feedback please request no fake dinos. Enough in the area already. Of course real ones would be good...
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    This is a good idea and use for that site. I thought it was a dead zone long ago. We could use a watering hole there! Cheap lodging instead of $350 a night would be very good. RV parks and lodging in Moab is getting expensive if you want to spend more than a few nights there. Of course the state lands folks want to maximize revenue so they may want a Hilton or whatever.

If someone is giving feedback please request no fake dinos. Enough in the area already. Of course real ones would be good...
    Totally agreed. It was cheaper for us to get a 5 bedroom condo with a private, grill, patio and jacuzzi for a week than 6 of us split 3 hotel rooms.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    When I was a ski bum in the late 60's - early 70's we could get cheap dorm style rooms in places like Park City, Aspen, and Whistler. Along with working for lift tickets on a daily basis I could get 100 days of skiing for several years. I suspect that a lot of riders would like that lifestyle. I'm up to two months annually riding Moab now but abandoned RV parks and even the hostel and living in my van to afford it. That restaurant building would make a fine dorm plus some small rooms with double or queen beds for couples.

It will probably be removed for a pricy hotel...

While there are plenty of places to shower in Moab that location would be good for public showers.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

Your Best Friend
    I think this is a great idea. Hope it works out for them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    @Silentfoe - they'll have e-bike charging stations.

:-)

Your Best Friend
    For the paved path back to town? Right on!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    For the paved path back to town? Right on!
    :-) Dirt!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dmar123 View Post
    The title of the thread is a bit misleading, as far as what I gathered they aren't building anything significant, probably just converting whats already there....

"Responding to the changing interests of Moab’s tourists, the owners of the proposed “HandleBar Ranch” – formerly the Bar-M Chuckwagon – are planning to transition the 45-acre parcel from its western themed, “mom-and-pop” roots into a high quality, mountain bike-focused gathering space."

A brew pub and decent bike shop there would be nice for the times you dont feel like driving back into town.
    "According Hall, the HandleBar Ranch would expand the existing use of the property to offer approximately 60 to 70 units of overnight lodging, some employee housing units, and resort amenities like a pool and bike-focused areas including work stations and bike washes.

“We don’t want anything to be on top of each other, we’re clustering some of it so it minimizes the impact on the total area,” Hall said. “ … It’s not huge, it’s more about having a personality. We wanted to have a property that looks nice, blends in with the environment, and be a place where folks who are staying there are very comfortable.”

That doesn't sound like a remodel of what is there. No way could you fit 60-70 units, employee housing, a pool, etc into what is there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post

Nothing in this proposal mentions cheap lodging.

I guarantee the rates will be market-driven, in other words, $2-300 a night during busy periods. Let's face it, when the Super 8 gets over $200/night many weeks of the year, no one is going to build a hostel.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    This is not what was originally represented. I have seen the plans. This is a 300 unit, three story mega-complex that will include time shares and overnight lodging. It is bankrolled by out of state investors. It will be an eyesore to the whole bike trail area out there and will not facilitate a better biking environment, unless you want to push you bike through the lobby and run a trail , kinda like climbing on the monorail at Disneyland.
    There are currently five new Hotels under construction, businesses are closing and selling their land to out of state interests because it's worth more as a hotel or overnight lodging. I'm glad everyone enjoys coming here, but our politicians have sold out to big money and there is no control or planning involved. The Moab you have enjoyed will be gone in several years.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Thanks for keeping us updated. A typical box hotel is so ugly. It would be best if that could be contained in town.

The highway needs to be re-routed around Moab. A truck route if nothing else.

Employee housing has to go somewhere. Service people can't afford to compete with tourists.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    The highway bypass was voted down years ago, biggest mistake they made. I don't think it will be on the radar again anytime soon, they missed their opportunity. Planning and zoning out here is done by greasing pockets with no regard for the city's residents. Multiple residential zones have been converted to commercial to allow for more hotels despite a known shortage of affordable housing. Why sell a house when you can rent it nightly and make more money? And yes, there is no housing for service employees, some are housed 12 or more to a single trailer.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Yep, small town life. I'll never move back to villages. Grew up in the mountains and sick of the stupidity.

We're really struggling with explosive growth here in Silicon Valley but at least most of the infrastructure was put in long ago. They learned from L.A. Need housing desperately and cities and developers are responding well but can't keep up. How many service staff can afford a $2,500 / mo two bedroom apartment for their family?

Too bad about the bypass. Those work great. It needs to be revisited. Trump will send UT money.

I'll take a condo on the Brand Trails :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    Multiple residential zones have been converted to commercial to allow for more hotels despite a known shortage of affordable housing. Why sell a house when you can rent it nightly and make more money? And yes, there is no housing for service employees, some are housed 12 or more to a single trailer.
    This is the case in many, many "resort" type towns that cater to recreation. You read about these same complaints in Bend, Prescott, Mammoth and Jackson Hole. As far as the renting vs selling, this is why many cities are trying to reign in and regulate the VRBO and AirBnB rentals. I'm one of those that uses this rental sites almost exclusively and I think there are a could complexes in Moab where nearly every condo is on VRBO it seems. Lots of choices!!
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2018 Intense Tracer (Sold to son)
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    Nothing in this proposal mentions cheap lodging.

I guarantee the rates will be market-driven, in other words, $2-300 a night during busy periods. Let's face it, when the Super 8 gets over $200/night many weeks of the year, no one is going to build a hostel.
    To put pricing in perspective: just a little bit further north on 191 is "Moab Under Canvas", a so-called luxury tent camp. Cheapest tent there is $202 a night. So somewhere that has A/C and indoor toilets can easily charge more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    The highway bypass was voted down years ago, biggest mistake they made. I don't think it will be on the radar again anytime soon, they missed their opportunity. Planning and zoning out here is done by greasing pockets with no regard for the city's residents. Multiple residential zones have been converted to commercial to allow for more hotels despite a known shortage of affordable housing. Why sell a house when you can rent it nightly and make more money? And yes, there is no housing for service employees, some are housed 12 or more to a single trailer.
    The only conceivable route for a bypass is to cross the river off of the Potash Road right at the west portal, and climb up the face of Moab Rim to run the highway south, far above town. The proposed USU campus gets right in the way of that idea.

A more likely "solution", that would actually in the big scheme suck even worse than that, would be to build the long imagined Portland to Albuquerque Interstate either through Delores Canyon down to SW Colorado, or over through Hanksville, across Hite eastbound to Blanding, and south from there.

I even heard conjecture one time that a highway could run from Cisco down 128 to Onion Creek, then up over the La Sals on the east side down to Paradox, down to Dove Creek and on through Cortez from there.

Unfortunately, this problem is not going away. Traffic in Moab isn't a new issue, check out the date on these meeting minutes (which BTW are fascinating reading for anyone in Moab): https://www.udot.utah.gov/main/f?p=1...:T,V:1047,9750

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Yes, an interesting read. Seems like the utility corridor on the west side kills that option. Still, if you look at that area with 3D in Google Maps or Earth there seems to be plenty of land for a highway.

The local business opposition seems mis-guided. Reducing the through traffic is supposed to help local businesses. Green River is hardly a comparable for obvious reasons.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by sunderland56 View Post
    To put pricing in perspective: just a little bit further north on 191 is "Moab Under Canvas", a so-called luxury tent camp. Cheapest tent there is $202 a night. So somewhere that has A/C and indoor toilets can easily charge more.
    I love camping and roughing it, but flying in makes that a challenge. Then you add wife, and the fancy camping ends up much better then a hotel
    Typing this laying in a real bed, with a wood stove going . Good stuff.