MTB Fest in Vernal--Low Key or Mob Scene?- Mtbr.com
    Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004

MTB Fest in Vernal--Low Key or Mob Scene?

I thought my first three day weekend of the year (Memorial Day) would be a great time to hit that sweet Vernal singletrack I've been reading so much about. Then I find out that's the week of their annual MTB fest. While I'm not anti-social, I generally prefer my singletrack uncrowded. Nor do I want to fight the thundering hordes for limited lodging which may be higher priced given that an event is in town.

For those who've been, preferably in the last year, just how big a deal is this? I'd still like to hit it that weekend if possible. I think three days will be a lot better than two for hitting the best the area has to offer.
    All other things are rarely equal . . .

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Is Vernal in Utah?

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004

Si, Senor Lobos

Some say it's the next Moab. In reality maybe the next Fruita as it's singletrack rather than slickrock.

Hype, I know, but it still looks like a great early season place to ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    haven't been to the fest, but have heard that it is extremely low key (like a handful of folks). i would give altitude cycles in vernal a call. btw, vernal is very cool, but has a long way to go to be the next fruita and hopefully it wont ever be overrun like that....

Ride and Smile
    Been there (last year), low key - lots of fun - good folks - nice trails. Highly recommended.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by axolotl
    Been there (last year), low key - lots of fun - good folks - nice trails. Highly recommended.
    Are things firming up after a few years? When we went out in 2008 a lot of the trails were fairly soft, new and narrow, especially out at the Corral loops. Was still fun, but it wasn't quite Fruita yet.

JMH

Ride and Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Are things firming up after a few years? When we went out in 2008 a lot of the trails were fairly soft, new and narrow, especially out at the Corral loops. Was still fun, but it wasn't quite Fruita yet.

JMH
    Everything we were on was firm. I heard of some newer trails that could use a little riding in, but we didn't hit them.

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004

Sounds like a go

Thanks, all. We'll do our best to help pack down anything that's still soft.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by axolotl
    Ditto, went last year and had a good time. Seemed like they had a good selection of trails with some variety too, might go again this year.

mtbr member
    NUMB fest is very low key (no cost) usually only 50 or less people. There is a great variety of trails. The McCoy flats are more Fruita like, Roho and the new Jazz loop are more Moab/Saint George like. The Flume is more canyon/alpine riding. I live in Vernal and if you want more detailed info or better yet a "local" riding partner...let me know (PM or email). And yes Vernal is in Utah.

mtbr member
    Went there last year and met up with Troy Boy who owns Attitude Cycles in Vernal, and who is responsible for putting in most of the trails. NUMB Fest in Vernal is totally laid back and everyone is up for showing you the goods if you like. By everyone, I mean the 2-3 people that you might encounter. Enjoy it.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Planning on heading down to Vernal Easter weekend. We're looking at riding the trails at Redfleet on Saturday then heading to McCoy Flats that night and Sunday. Anything that's "can't miss" while we're there?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH

JMH
    It's single track, it's suppossed to be narrow. It's probably what Fruita looked like before people started widening the trails. In 2008, most of the trails were at least 5, if not 10 years-old. Vernal does have some sand, not much to be done about it except to not make it worse.

Most of the trails are very firm right now. However, some of the relatively steep down hill sections are very torn up because of newbies who are coming to town who have no clue how to brake (Retail Sale). The sections of More Hoes that is usually soft are pretty packed, I'm assuming it's because the beginners are avoiding it.

My experience with the NUMB Fest is that it is very low key. Last year was the most people I've seen. My guess (based on how many out of towners were here today) is that there'll be more this year.
    Nothing but sincerity as far as the eye can see!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by YacobCzech
    Planning on heading down to Vernal Easter weekend. We're looking at riding the trails at Redfleet on Saturday then heading to McCoy Flats that night and Sunday. Anything that's "can't miss" while we're there?
    Rojo at Red Mountain
    Nothing but sincerity as far as the eye can see!

Members who have read this thread: 0