Moving to Utah from Arizona- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Moving to Utah from Arizona

How does mountain trails compare to the trails in AZ? I've lived in AZ all my life and rode most eveything in AZ. I've been to Utah lots and have never rode anything. I know southren Utah is awesome! But, what about Salt Lake City area???
    Hold my beer and watch this shit!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I can't speak for SLC. But Ogden has some great trail option on the bench and on the other side.

bike junkie
    Mar 2004
    What part of AZ? I lived in the Tempe area and find most riding up North in Utah to be much less technical than most of what I have ridden in AZ. I'd say St. George, Hurricane and Moab 'feel' like some of the AZ riding I've done. Desert Classic at South Mountain is more like the level of many our trails up North.

Welcome to Utah!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Salt Lake is the best in the west when it comes to cross country. I've been everywhere in the west AZ,CA,OR,ID,CO. Salt Lake has tons of trail systems with rides like the Crest Trail and others that you use as measuring sticks when you talk about other places. Don't worry, if cross country is your thing, you'll be in heaven
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

mtbr member
    I love XC, DH and Road.... Can't go wrong with either!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by c-record
    What part of AZ? I lived in the Tempe area and find most riding up North in Utah to be much less technical than most of what I have ridden in AZ. I'd say St. George, Hurricane and Moab 'feel' like some of the AZ riding I've done. Desert Classic at South Mountain is more like the level of many our trails up North.

Welcome to Utah!

Grew up in Tempe, AZ...3rd Gen Native! I know South Mt very well... I love riding UP National or Mormon and down National... Widows maker is cake! haha That whole mountain has tought me well. I'm just so sick of the heat during the summer! Heat rash is a beeeotch!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I moved back here this summer after 8 years in Ahwatukee, so South Mountain was in my back yard. You're going to find that the trails here are much less technical and more smooth and flowy, more like Mt. Elden. The DH here tends to be lots of fast berms and big gaps which is a lot of fun, but different than the chunk of Phoenix. The scenery is awesome here, and every ride is beautiful. The elevation will make you feel fat and out of shape at first.
    "Doing the right thing" is like water. It's good for all living things,and flows without thinking about where it's going.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    You can escape to SW Utah during the winter or just take up back country skiing and put the bike to bed for the winter... Good luck with your move!
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I moved from Yuma last year.

Good luck with the move.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainflow
    I moved back here this summer after 8 years in Ahwatukee, so South Mountain was in my back yard. You're going to find that the trails here are much less technical and more smooth and flowy, more like Mt. Elden. The DH here tends to be lots of fast berms and big gaps which is a lot of fun, but different than the chunk of Phoenix. The scenery is awesome here, and every ride is beautiful. The elevation will make you feel fat and out of shape at first.

Yea, I kinda figured trails would be awesome there! I've done some snowboarding in Utah, but never rode... Looks like they should have great scenic trails. I have rode Big Bear and Mammoth Mt in CA and LOVED the trails.

I'm sure it will take getting used to the elevation.. Also the Beer too! haha Utah has some weird liquor laws. Dunno what to do with my Kegorator when I get up there.. Kegs of beer are illegal there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I grew up in Utah and rode there for 10 years and have been living/riding in AZ for the past 5. AZ has some great rides, including a few epic ones but they are few and far between. Utah has quite a selection fantastic rides all along the wasatch front as well as the Moab and St george areas. Everything you need to know about the best trails is more or less listed on utahmountainbiking.com. My personal favorites up North are Big Springs/South fork in Provo Canyon, South Deer Creek/157 trail in American Fork Canyon, and the Pipeline trail up Mill Creek Canyon. Gooseberry is great down south and Moab needs no explanation. I love the riding in AZ but I greatly miss flying down smooth alpine singletrack through aspen trees.

Members who have read this thread: 0