Moving to Utah- Mtbr.com

Thread: Moving to Utah

Training Wheels Included!

Moving to Utah

hey Guys, just wanted to hop down here and give my hellos.

i am bikemedic, from Jackson, Missisisppi.

I will be setting out for my lovely 26 hour drive July 21st on my way to Draper, Utah!!!

I call it, a life long Vacation!!!

I'm 26 years old
    spent some time in the Navy
    am a NR-EMT Basic
    Cert. Vol Firefighter

I will be.... quite.... lost once i arrive to Draper and well.... very over whelmed by the scenery and will need some friends to help guide me to different places.

I ride a 09 Trek Fuel EX8

Well guys/gals!!!

Hope to meet some of you and ride with you all and enjoy the rest of my life, in Utah!!!!!

if you guys have any job tips, let me know.

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    Welcome to Utah! A web site you need to know is UtahMountainBiking dot com. Great trail write ups and on the forum page there are some group rides where you can meet some people.

Chumley for prez!
    The best tip I can give you (from one southern transplant to another) is to find Pat's BBQ sooner rather than later. Skip Sugarhouse BBQ (it's overpriced and mediocre). I heard about this other BBQ place in Provo, but I don't head down to that neck of the woods very often

As far as riding, by july the Wasatch Crest will be dry and in full effect, you should ride it as soon as possible (Crest to Mill D). American Fork will also be good then. It will be a little hot down in the valley come July. I would invest in a nice set of lights if I were you, they are invaluable when the temps get high.

cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

ride more.
    Nov 2004

Draper

Welcome to Utah! Have a safe trip. You will love the riding/skiing/boarding here. Awesome. As a fellow Draper resident, the riding is great in Draper, the city is very proactive when it comes to trails and building trails to meet the needs of the riders, and the views are great. Shoot me a PM when you arrive and we can hook up for some riding.

Second the suggestion on the lights.

doc

Thanks for the welcome guys!!!

I can NOT wait to move out there!!!!!

Jun 2006
    And once september rolls around it will be moab season. so drop me a line if you come down. i'm always keen to ride if i'm not working.

Sizzlechest
    Lucky!! I am from Utah, born and raised but in the Air Force now and Uncle Sam has me in Columbus, MS....you'll love it out there. It's completely different than MS. The way of life, scenery, people, culture, etc. Its night and day to be honest. At least for me coming to MS from UT.

Have a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by blamo0
    Lucky!! I am from Utah, born and raised but in the Air Force now and Uncle Sam has me in Columbus, MS....you'll love it out there. It's completely different than MS. The way of life, scenery, people, culture, etc. Its night and day to be honest. At least for me coming to MS from UT.

Have a blast!
    I feel for you brother.

I have been living in MS all my life.

i spent some time in IL, while at Navy Basic.... but thats really all.

I am counting down the days!!!

My only thing.

Guys help me out here. I am still a bit of a clydesdale. I have lost 30 pounds so far biking and changing my nutrition.

Are there shorter trials? in the 10 Mile range?

I wont be able to get out there with the guys that have been riding years and keep up. I will have to find some riding buddies that will slow down just a little to help this new guy out.

Also, any tips on getting ready for the atmosphere change?

Jun 2006
    You can't really prepare for the change in altitude, but that takes care of itself in just a week or so. No big deal. Also, I think you'll lose weight pretty fast with easy access to riding and less easy access to fried food (what is it with the south and fried food?). I lost weight the first summer I moved to UT and have kept it off ever since. Good luck and enjoy the new location.

Thanks man!!!

This site is Great! i am quite new to it...
    but i am really enjoying the brotherhood here among the cycles!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I moved to UT a while back from flatland and it took me about a month to adjust. If your moving to Draper you are in a good spot close to many good rides. There are varying loops through Corner Canyon above Draper so you can build up to bigger things. I suggest the BST http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/bon-draper.htm and or Oak and spring hollow loops. Then move up to Clarks, http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/clarks.htm Ghost falls http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/ghostfalls.htm and then Jacobs Ladder http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/tr...cobsladder.htm. If you like hucking there's the DH only trail that the good folks at WAFTA got going http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/DraperDH.htm. There's new trails being built in Corner Canyon all the time.

I live on the Sandy/Draper border and really enjoy having the diversity of Corner Canyon in my backyard. Add that to the other good rides nearby and it's pretty much awesome! PM me and I can show you around up there when you get here.....

Members who have read this thread: 0