Moving to Ogden -- local beta needed...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Moving to Ogden -- local beta needed...

Will be relocating to Ogden this summer to attend Weber State U in the Fall. Can any Ogden locals answer a few questions:

1. During a recent visit, I was very pleased to find A LOT of rental properties available. Can anyone suggest in which neighborhood/area to focus my housing search, preferably within walking distance to WSU.

2. What can I expect to pay for rent sharing a 2-bedroom house?

3. I'll also be commuting to Murray three days a week to complete my clinicals. What's the drive/time like? What are winter driving conditions along I-15 typically like?

4. How long is the MTB season in Ogden? Are most of the rides located on the western slope or on the eastern slope?

5. Best mexican food in Ogden? Coffee? Best bike shop for getting work done on an MTB?

6. Is there decent nordic (skate) skiing at any of the adjacent resorts?

Thanks for your considered input.
    Last edited by Zirkel; 04-11-2006 at 11:58 AM.

Sep 2004
    I can only answer a couple of your questions but that is better than what you've got so far.

3. Plan on 45 minutes to be safe going to Murray. On good days you will make 30 and bad may take you 60 or more.

4. Season totally depends on weather and location. West slopes such as Bonneville Shoreline right above Weber State can be rideable almost all year in some dry years but the last two have been really wet. The west slope is also mostly sandy soil that dries quickly and isn't too bad when moderately wet. East side such as Snowbasin is usually rideable June to October but forget about it if things are at all wet. The Snowbasin area has a clay mud that will shut you down in 100 yards if it is wet, not to mention damage to the trail. This is a great area if you like to ride. There are many good trails. One of my favorite quick rides is Coldwater Overlook up in the Snowbasin area. Check out utahmountainbiking.com for lots of good local info.

For a great mid-summer ride take the Skyline trail to Ben Lomond Peak then ride to Willard Peak. My boy and I saw about 80 Rocky Mountain Goats between the two peaks last summer. This trail probably won't clear until the middle of July this year the way things are going.

5. I like the Vera Cruz dinner at El Matador and also Javiers right by Weber State. Javier is a former Weber State distance runner. The Bike Shoppe in South Ogden is very professional. My boy works at Bikers Edge in Kaysville and I think you would be hard pressed to find a better shop but I am biased. I am not a bike shop hater and I have had pretty good experiences at nearly all of the Ogden area shops. Best coffee is probably Grounds for Coffee. I like the one in East Layton on I-80 and the girls are cute. I think there is one on 26th and Harrison or somewhere in that area.

That is about all I can help you with.

Quote Originally Posted by Zirkel
    Will be relocating to Ogden this summer to attend Weber State U in the Fall. Can any Ogden locals answer a few questions:

1. During a recent visit, I was very pleased to find A LOT of rental properties available. Can anyone suggest in which neighborhood/area to focus my housing search, preferably within walking distance to WSU.

2. What can I expect to pay for rent sharing a 2-bedroom house?

3. I'll also be commuting to Murray three days a week to complete my clinicals. What's the drive/time like? What are winter driving conditions along I-15 typically like?

4. How long is the MTB season in Ogden? Are most of the rides located on the western slope or on the eastern slope?

5. Best mexican food in Ogden? Coffee? Best bike shop for getting work done on an MTB?

6. Is there decent nordic (skate) skiing at any of the adjacent resorts?

Thanks for your considered input.

Members who have read this thread: 0