Moving to Ogden- Mtbr.com

Thread: Moving to Ogden

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Moving to Ogden

Moving in (Hill AFB). It's a year off, but I'm excited. Been checking Realtor.com but it's difficult to see the neighborhood. What is the best place around Hill to live? I'm not averse to driving 20 miles a day to work, but not much more. Is there any higher crime areas to avoid buying a house in? I'd like a 1/2 acre of land but also don't want to spend more than $150,000. Having that much land isn't important, but a 2 car garage is.

I already know riding (MTB and motorcycle) is awsome so I won't even waste your time asking about that but if you care to speak of it feel free.

Brass Nipples!
    Quote Originally Posted by 71Fish
    Moving in (Hill AFB). It's a year off, but I'm excited. Been checking Realtor.com but it's difficult to see the neighborhood. What is the best place around Hill to live? I'm not averse to driving 20 miles a day to work, but not much more. Is there any higher crime areas to avoid buying a house in? I'd like a 1/2 acre of land but also don't want to spend more than $150,000. Having that much land isn't important, but a 2 car garage is.

I already know riding (MTB and motorcycle) is awsome so I won't even waste your time asking about that but if you care to speak of it feel free.
    See if this helps

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...highlight=hill
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Wheelbuilder
    layton, clearfield, roy, sarcyuse (spelling?) riverdale. all close to base. but you could always move on base :-) join me, please! where are you coming to? 75th, 388th? shot me an email and i will see what i can do for ya! ecfiffer(nospam)@hotmail.com of course delete the (nospam) part

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ecfiffer05
    layton, clearfield, roy, sarcyuse (spelling?) riverdale. all close to base. but you could always move on base :-) join me, please! where are you coming to? 75th, 388th? shot me an email and i will see what i can do for ya! ecfiffer(nospam)@hotmail.com of course delete the (nospam) part

No way man, I'm buying a house in town. I'm single so can't live on base anyway and don't like the prying eyes of others. I'll be going to the 388th side, either to MOS or an AMU. Won't know until I get there.

Mar 2006
    well bro when you get in town give look me up. I work 388FW/SC (computer geek) I will help ya out if need be....

I Just Ride....

Good job!

Welcome to Utah Airman!
    Hoo Ahh!
    Brian
    Artistic Mountain Bike Photography
    My MTBR Gallery
    "I Ride my bike, to Ride my bike...."
    From a Zen proverb

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Being somewhat familiar with the area, but not intimately familiar, I think I could live as far north as Harrisville and as far south as Farmington and still not whine about the drive to Hill everyday. Not that it would be the only factor, but a factor none the less, which area would put me closer to decent rides a short distance away? I have no problem travelling to good rides on the weekend, but after work I don't want to have to travel far.

Mar 2006
    i can not really answer your question that well since i have not ridden out here yet. But i would say ogden/ south ogden/ riverdale might work out for you. Anything on the east side of base should put you closer to spots. i mean hell, when my wife and i first got here we lived in ogden and were able to drive up to the mountain in 30ish min. i will hit up some of the local shops and see where some trails are and get back with you...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Werd.

Jan 2003

The real deal

OK, Pleasant View and North Ogden are the two places with good schools/neigborhoods. My wife and kids live there now (I'm in Korea) and I grew up in Ogden. I will be working at Hillfield when I get back to the states and its about a 20 minute drive. If you still need a Realtor, my Mom is a Realtor. She sold me my house and I feel like we stole it. No backyard neigbors, high up on the bench, good deal, etc...
    You can e-mail her if you'd like
    [email protected]
    Ogden is a MTB haven, smooth trails, Bonneville is great, its about 2-3 hours from the canyon to beus and back, then there's skyline, Ben Lomond! The valley has more trails within another 15-20 minute drive. I can't wait to get back!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I too have to make a stop over in Korea before moving to Ogden (Hill).

Jan 2003
    Korea is tough and fun. I'm ARMY in the 2nd ID and the job sucks. BUT on the bright side, I've added two new trails to the "Korea" trails list. Almost every post either AF or ARMY has trails listed by them. There is a lot of fun to be had here with the different culture and what not. The Seoul MTB scene is pretty strong too (If only I was stationed there). Hopefully we can meet up- I'll be here 'till August.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'm going to Osan, which as you know is near Seoul. Just met a guy who came from there and said the riding was good. The Black Hills where I am now is awsome, but I need a change of scenery.

Solum Volamus

12th St and Monroe Blvd?

Ok...I'm going to add a pile on...

What do you guys think of the 12th St and Monroe Blvd area? Can you ride to the trails from that area? Say about 5 -6 miles. It seems like there would be good access to the trails, skiing, and downtown. We don't have great trails here at Kunsan, but I do like the fact I can ride right from the dorms without having to drive. I would like to be able to do that in Utah. My only concern is the commute to Hill. Any idea how long that might be?

Thanks for the help!

Jan 2003
    You could ride to the Rainbow Gardens trailhead at the mouth of the canyon about 2-3 miles from there. The trail basically starts there and turns into Bonneville Shoreline. Good stuff...
    The commute to Hill would be about 15 minutes.

Solum Volamus

Cool...

Thanks for the info Nate.

Only 20 more days left on the RoK and I'm starting to look for a place to live out there. Too bad I have to spend most of June in Alabama for school. Really excited to be going to Utah though!!!

Rocket Scientist
    Mar 2005
    I live about 17th and Monroe. I normally ride from my house to Rainbow Gardens and go from there.
    A co-worker sent me this link. It shows a lot of the trails in the area. I normally ride what they call Bonneville Shoreline South. I'm still in the process of exploring the other trails that branch off from the shoreline trail.
    http://weberpathways.org/trails_map....earchField=all

From my house it's about a 20 minute drive to work (which is very close to Hill). And it's only a 20 to 30 minute drive to the ski resorts (Powder Mtn and Snowbasin)

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I live in Clinton and it's great. It's close to the freeway. In fact, the nearest freeway onramp by my house is one of them that Hill AFB is on. I'm probably 2 miles away.

Clinton and Sunset are good, central towns. You're right in between Ogden and Layton.

I'd happily answer any questions you have.

Members who have read this thread: 0