Moving to Kansas- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Moving to Kansas

The last six years have been great! the mtb and climbing community here is second to none. School is done, and the time has come for me to follow my chosen profession.

I would like to give a very public "Thank You!" to:
    Mike, Dan, Sheila, Griff, Dave & Risa, Pete and Mohammad.
    And a very special thanks to Brady.
    You rode with me when I had just started and nobody else would. You've been a trusted friend and riding mentor beyond compare.

Thank You!
    Best Wishes!
    Willy & Michelle

Who's the best mountain biker? The one having the most fun. (Bradyman )

...a wiggle theres a way
    congrats on finishing school... to bad your leaving the state BUT it'll make for a great road trip back to utah.

whats your major? what are you going to be doing in kansas?

best regards

joe

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hey Willy! Griff told me about your post, sorry I got to it so late my brother.
    Joo give up on us all? No e-mail response. No phone response. I know your busy, but com'on. And after such a cool, public, shout-out.( thank you!) well mabe a public shaming will get you to break your silence. (?)

Wiggy, Willy was an anthropology major, His beautiful wife is the bread winner.(nurse)
    as far as what he'll be doing in kansas, well, road biking I guess, because there's no place for him to ride his King Kikapu.(snicker,snicker)
    I think he may be working for the BIA, but I'm not sure. He and Michelle were/are fantastic people, and I was sorry to see them go.

mtbr member
    Allright enough with the Kansas Bashing.

We don't have the Grand Vistas, the lung busting climbs, the gnarly downs, miles of trail on your doorstep, or much freeride, yet. What we do have is tons of xc stuff, and if you live close to Kansas City you have literally 100+ miles of MTB specific singletrack within an hour of Downtown.

On the KS side there is Perry, Clinton, the Lawrence river trails, Kill Creek, and Shawnee Mission Park, and several places near Manhattan. On the MO side there is Smithville lake, Blue River, and my favorite, Landahl. Throw in the Ozarks of MO and Arkansas, and well, you've got tons of choices.

If you don't think they are worthy, ask www.Grannygear.com who holds a 24 hr race at Landahl.
    A great local resource is www.earthriders.com

Hey, Wheezl, where did you end up? If you are in the KC area look me up.

Don't you think it's odd that I was on the Utah board longing to be able to ride there?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Landahl Calrissian
    Allright enough with the Kansas Bashing.

We don't have the Grand Vistas, the lung busting climbs, the gnarly downs, miles of trail on your doorstep, or much freeride, yet. What we do have is tons of xc stuff, and if you live close to Kansas City you have literally 100+ miles of MTB specific singletrack within an hour of Downtown.

On the KS side there is Perry, Clinton, the Lawrence river trails, Kill Creek, and Shawnee Mission Park, and several places near Manhattan. On the MO side there is Smithville lake, Blue River, and my favorite, Landahl. Throw in the Ozarks of MO and Arkansas, and well, you've got tons of choices.

If you don't think they are worthy, ask www.Grannygear.com who holds a 24 hr race at Landahl.
    A great local resource is www.earthriders.com

Hey, Wheezl, where did you end up? If you are in the KC area look me up.

Don't you think it's odd that I was on the Utah board longing to be able to ride there?
    So sorry my brother! I was just going off of what wheezl told me after his house hunting trip. He'll be ecstatic to hear/see the info you just posted. BUT, it seems the SOB just dropped off the face of the earth once he left here. This is the news he and his wife were hoping for. Thanks Landahl.

mtbr member
    I was raised in Kansas. I now live in Western Colorado. I don't miss it too much.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Kansas? You are so screwed.

mtbr member
    I am from kansas, I moved to oregon, and now in summit county. I hope you like to do a lot of xc. I did some racing there. There is a series call the heartland racing series. It was fun the biking community is very nice there.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Being from Kansas, I envy those of you in Utah. I am planning a trip there with some friends. We made a quick stop in Moab to climb an arch this past summer, it changed my life =) After college I might have to move out west.

Anyway, if you are moving to north eastern Kansas there are some pretty surprising trails nearby ( I'm from Lawrence). Of course it's not the great west either.

GM$

Feb 2008
    Hey Kids. Front rangeger here from Bldr CO. I grew up and learned to ride in Lawrence/Manhattan. Personally I love riding back there and plan on taking a trip back this spring just to hit Kill Creek, Perry, Clinton and the River Trails. Nobody is screwed except those people whose imaginations are limited. Get after it man.

I'm going solo on this trip so if there are any Kansan's out there wanting to take a run at it, in Late March/April let me know.

mtbr member
    Yo, G Money,

check out the forums at www.earthriders.com for the local trails and riders. I'm sure if I don't have some time in April, I'm very busy in the spring, I'm a landscaper, someone else will be able to show you the trails.

Try to hit some of the MO trails while you are here, most notably Landahl, my mostest favorite

Members who have read this thread: 0