mtbr member

Move to Utah, buy bikes

Hey fellow Utahns, I need some help with finding a suitable ride for this season. I have been riding road and cross since I moved out here to SLC last year, but I'd really like to get into MTB to improve my bike handling and just have fun flowing on the trails. I'm 6'3" 185lb so I'm guessing I'll be looking for 20-21ish/XL bikes, which means somewhat slim pickins on KSL if I look used. Any suggestions for what works well out here? I'm open to FS or HT as long as they work on most trails around the Wasatch and maybe some trips south.

Thanks

Clyde
    Quote Originally Posted by ZionCurtain View Post
    Hey fellow Utahns, I need some help with finding a suitable ride for this season. I have been riding road and cross since I moved out here to SLC last year, but I'd really like to get into MTB to improve my bike handling and just have fun flowing on the trails. I'm 6'3" 185lb so I'm guessing I'll be looking for 20-21ish/XL bikes, which means somewhat slim pickins on KSL if I look used. Any suggestions for what works well out here? I'm open to FS or HT as long as they work on most trails around the Wasatch and maybe some trips south.

Thanks
    There are more steep trails than switchy trails here. I prefer the relaxed head tube angle. There are many rocky trails as well so the ability to run over sized tires is a plus. There is lots of available climbing so if you go FS chose an efficient climber. . With that said there are many good bikes to chose from. If possible call the local shops and see what demos they have or might be coming. Good luck on finding your next stead.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    09 Ibis Mojo - All Mountain Moab Edition

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    You missed the two great MTB bike demo events in Utah, Hurricane and Outerbike. However, in two weeks is this event in Fruita, CO Fruita Fat Tire Festival – Epic Singletrack – April 27 – 30, 2017.

Forum advice will never be as good as riding demo bikes.

Also, we would need to know where you intend to ride and what you think of roots, rocks, and ruts, along with gnarly descents, your riding level such as intermediate - it gets complicated. Go to Fruita and ride a bunch of bikes. Talk to the manufacturer Reps. A lot of them are there although Outerbike is bigger.

Fruita has flowy trails at 18 Road, mesa type riding at Kokopelli Trails, and some technical gnar at Lunch Loops across the river from Grand Junction. Good selection of trails.

The next opportunity is Outerbike at Crested Butte this summer and back in Moab around the first of October.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckySomer View Post
    There are more steep trails than switchy trails here. I prefer the relaxed head tube angle. There are many rocky trails as well so the ability to run over sized tires is a plus. There is lots of available climbing so if you go FS chose an efficient climber. . With that said there are many good bikes to chose from. If possible call the local shops and see what demos they have or might be coming. Good luck on finding your next stead.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Yeah I agree that calling up dealers is probably the best method to get this figured out. I've noticed that they don't really carry that much variety for demo bikes, will they usually have one sent in for me to demo if I'm interested or would I have better luck trying something from a rental place out in PC?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    You missed the two great MTB bike demo events in Utah, Hurricane and Outerbike. However, in two weeks is this event in Fruita, CO Fruita Fat Tire Festival – Epic Singletrack – April 27 – 30, 2017.

Forum advice will never be as good as riding demo bikes.

Also, we would need to know where you intend to ride and what you think of roots, rocks, and ruts, along with gnarly descents, your riding level such as intermediate - it gets complicated. Go to Fruita and ride a bunch of bikes. Talk to the manufacturer Reps. A lot of them are there although Outerbike is bigger.

Fruita has flowy trails at 18 Road, mesa type riding at Kokopelli Trails, and some technical gnar at Lunch Loops across the river from Grand Junction. Good selection of trails.

The next opportunity is Outerbike at Crested Butte this summer and back in Moab around the first of October.
    Unfortunately I have to work that weekend, but I'll keep an eye on the other two events. Thanks for dropping a line on those for me.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Unfortunately I have to work that weekend, but I'll keep an eye on the other two events. Thanks for dropping a line on those for me.
    Here's my video for how to select a trail category mountain bike. I buy bikes for riding south Utah. Lots of technical rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9PjbPTkFp4

The trail category is beefier than cross country / XC bikes. You may be interested in a Yeti 4.5c, Pivot 429, or similar geometry for less rocks but still can ride Moab well. Head tube angle of about 68 degrees and 120mm fork. For a bit more weight and money a 140mm fork is sweet.

Components make a big difference. You have to consider bike geometry as I discuss in my video but also components, and when demoing bikes it is difficult to sort that out unless you ride a LOT of bikes as I have.

On my blog, Intermediate Mountain Biking | Bike and Trails Analyses for Intermediate Riders, you will find my thoughts on the 2017 Fox Factory 34 fork. I've been riding the past 3 weeks in Fruita, Grand Junction, and Moab and the 2017 Fox Factory forks are far superior for intermediate riders than anything Rockshox. I won't even demo bikes anymore if they have a Rockshox fork. Too dangerous as slower speeds. I'll be blogging soon how I tested various forks on the same rocks over many years and how with the 2017 Fox Factory fork I no longer fall off my bike hitting the same rocks that tossed me with Rockshox Revelations and Pikes.

Go with a new Fox Factory fork, it is a LOT safer. I just replaced my wife's 2014 Fox Factory CTD 120mm fork with the 2017 Fox Factory FIT 140mm fork. Cheaper than ER bills, and she's spent $7,000 in ER bills the last few years. Probably not the fork's fault though.

I recently started riding the infamous drop-in to Horsethief Bench near Fruita. My Fox Factory 140mm floats over gnar I couldn't ride before.

Most of us riding 29ers feel they climb better than 27.5 wheels. Some research a couple of years ago supports that. For XC and trail bikes 29ers are really nice for climbing and roll-over. Most riders on all mountain, also called enduro, bikes prefer 27.5's for a bit more agility.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    You might want to check out the youtube channel of MTB yumyum. He has quite a few videos of different bikes on the Corner Canyon(Draper) trails.

Moderator Moderator
    If you plan to mostly ride in northern UT/the Wasatch in general, anything will work. Hardtail, short travel FS, trail bike, etc. If you prefer smoother stuff and getting a hard climb in fast, go racier/less travel. If you want to shred the (limited) gnar, get something in the 120mm-140mm travel range.

Moab is the big question. A hardtail (and yes, I've done it many times way back in the day) is just not that fun in Moab for most people. A short travel XC dualie is... ok. A 150mm bike is an "XC" bike on a lot of rides there.

Unless you hate fun, you will end up going to Moab quite a bit. It's only a 3.5 hour drive and it's great during Wasatch mud season. So keep that in mind. Most people I know in the Wasatch have at least 2 bikes - one for XC around home, and another for Deer Valley lift days and Moab. Obviously you will spend more money that way, so if money is a constraint, I'd do something with a decent amount of travel and just accept being a little slower on big smooth climbs.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Yes. Park City is mostly flowy, but just make the assumption that you will be making trips to Moab and plan your bike accordingly. Research Plus sized tires and the requirement for wider rims as well.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tips Walt. I think 140mm FS with a slack HA is where I'll be looking. KSL has been blowing up with deals on MTB so I'm feeling pretty hopefull that I will be able to find something spicy. Hopefully the trails soak up this rain today and are dry enough to demo some steeds this week.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tips Walt. I think 140mm FS with a slack HA is where I'll be looking. KSL has been blowing up with deals on MTB so I'm feeling pretty hopefull that I will be able to find something spicy. Hopefully the trails soak up this rain today and are dry enough to demo some steeds this week.
    PM sent to OP.