More trails like Horsethief CG area- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

More trails like Horsethief CG area

SO finally made an epic trip out west (5800 miles total). Riding wasn't the mission, ticking off checkbox's of things i wanna hit was...so that when I come back I feel like I can ride more.

So where I did ride, were the trails right at Horsethief campground which were Rodeo, Rowdy, Chisholm, Wrangler. The intermediate trails were fantastic as they weren't too crazy to the point where you get tired of dealing with them, yet technical and interesting to ride. I found them completely enjoyable. While on the trail i ran into a couple of riders that told me about Slickrock... whose description came off to me as "Well why would anyone wanna ride that? LOL".

Are there other similar trails (systems) around the area like Horsethief area...that don't get all crazy?

That was mine first time ever in Moab, and I'm totally coming back when I can. Just glad I got the Parks out of the way .

I also rode Sandia foothills area, which was a bit of a snooze fest.
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '17 Scott Speedster CX20
    12 Scott Foil Team

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    The trails at Dead Horse Point are pretty fun, and Great scenic views. Just up the road from Horse thief trails. Also Mag 7 trails are very fun to ride, and again just up the road from the rides you did.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by boardguru View Post
    The trails at Dead Horse Point are pretty fun, and Great scenic views. Just up the road from Horse thief trails. Also Mag 7 trails are very fun to ride, and again just up the road from the rides you did.
    Nice, will def check that out. I wanted to go into the park but time constraints :/. Just means I get to save it for next time
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '17 Scott Speedster CX20
    12 Scott Foil Team

mtbr member
    Based on your description, I'd add Getaway as an out and back. Bull Run is a hoot, but a definite step up. If you don't mind that (park at the bottom of Getaway at Arth's trailhead on the Gemini Bridges road) going up that and down Bull Run as a loop would be good.

Hidalgo, Wildcat, Whirlwind, Mustang in the Horsethief area as well.
    Navajo Rocks is great, I think, but a definite step up. You'll likely walk some, but my wife does too, and loves the trails there. It's a figure 8 and can be ridden any which way, but I'd advise Ramblin as a downhill.

Another nice area is off of the Northern Klondike Bluffs trailhead...Alaska, Homer, Nome.... Again, a step up from something like Rodeo with all sorts of options.

You're out there, you might as well jump on the Slick Rock practice loop, anyway. If you like that, press on, it's only about 10 miles. If you don't like it, you're out 5 or 6 bucks. You should also shuttle Porcupine Rim to wherever they're dropping people off. There's nothing you can't walk around and it's a must ride just for the scenery. It's also a fairly short event.

Here are (almost) all of the trails:
    Moab Area Trails

mtbr member
    The Dead Horse trails are as close as you will find. Those trails are really fun for not being very technical. You have a few bailout points if someone gets tired as well.

Like MSU said, Navajo Rocks is similar, especially the section north of 313. You could shuttle it or do an out and back on just that north section. The entire loop is one of my favorite rides in the area. The views are just amazing. Also Dino-Flow to Alaska down at Klondike Bluffs, but the views are lacking until you get to Alaska.

And yeah, Slickrock is more of a novelty ride more than anything now that the area has so many amazing trails.