A moosey log ride- Mtbr.com
    Err
    Calm like a bomb

A moosey log ride

Pic doesn't show the line that well.
    You have to roll the chute nice and smooth, swing wide and hop your back tire to get on the log, nice and tech.

Ride it and let me know what you think.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I don't have to ride it to think it's sick!

That's a very tough move, unless you built a line? Even still, with the space provided and the steep fall line, it has to be difficult... sweet.

Thankfully my broken shoulder will be uphill for this line, so I can probably fall down the slope a few times with no worries!

Way to go.

JMH

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Did you shave the log or anything? We looked at it last week and the log had so any branches still we really couldn't visualize it without some work. Definitely beyond me still since I'm still not cleaning the chute.

Nice work Err.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Misti and I had to make a few adjustments for the log ride to work but the original line is still in tact. I did not modify the chute and it is still the line you use to setup of the log ride. I tweaked the far side of the hill (previously not ridden) so that you can line up for the log. I did shave the top of the log a bit and remove some of the knots.

The line is
    - down the chute, but point your bike across the hill at the bottom so that you swing wide
    - Roll the left side of the hill to line up for the log (typical line is on the right side)
    - Up the dirt/rock ramp I made on to the log
    - Wheel hop because the ramp usually isn't long enough to get your back wheel on.
    - Down the log
    - Left a tree in the way at the end of the log for extra spicy moosey style

After building for a few hours in the heat yesterday, I was freakin' exhausted. I tried the line a few times and squarely got up on to the log ride and about 1/2 way down. Kept slipping off though. I decided not to make it any easier and come back fresh and give it another go next week before entertaining making it any easier.
    Last edited by Err; 06-03-2007 at 09:55 AM.

biking is fun
    that is sick man, ill have to come check it out with you again. ill know what to expect this time

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Thinking maybe a Tues after work ride. Around 6:15.

biking is fun
    ok let me know. i don't have any plans yet for tues
    we might be going up to park city tomorrow night to hit the dirt jump park

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba
    ok let me know. i don't have any plans yet for tues
    we might be going up to park city tomorrow night to hit the dirt jump park
    Park City DJ's are good fun but planning to climb tonight. I'm def down for tomorrow (tues) though.

biking is fun
    sounds like fun. if i come tomorrow ill bring you some more bookoo and some passes to momentum so you can try it out.
    let me know what time you are going tomorrow,

Enduroist
    Mar 2007
    I can't even fathom being able to pull that off (I am just starting to think I might be able to do the regular version of that section , so damn steep right there ). Well done Err, that is badass.

Moose freaking rocks, by the way. Every time I ride that trail, I learn how to do new section. It makes it very addictive. Next goal is cleaning the five log section at the right turn to the ladder (almost got it the other day, and I think I know a trick for the double at the end).

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    6:15 PM, Tuesday (tomorrow) @ the bottom.

biking is fun
    looks like im out buddy, just found out my family is all getting together for my brothers bday party. ill be there next time for sure

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    6:15 PM, Tuesday (tomorrow) @ the bottom.
    We were planning on meeting at 6 there if you need help with a shuttle. However, I'm pretty sure you'd ride away from us fairly quick once we hit Moose. I'm taking things slow this year

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler
    We were planning on meeting at 6 there if you need help with a shuttle. However, I'm pretty sure you'd ride away from us fairly quick once we hit Moose. I'm taking things slow this year
    Hookup w/us bro. We ain't all speed racer. I'm usually the slowest down 'cause I gotta stop and play on all the obstacles.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    We'll be there. Still lots of stuff to try over and over and sometimes still not clean. Always good times. My goal is pretty low this trip, just no landing on my head.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Sorry Err, we didn't hook up with you guys for the ride. We met some of your crew at the bottom and then waited up top for a while. With the weather coming, we kinda wanted to roll. It was a good night in Moose. My buddy cleaned the 5 log section and I found out I can throw a 41lb bike way over my head if I try too hard for the wheelie That trail is so weird and fun, I always feel stiff at the top(and nauseous from the climb) and make silly mistakes early on in the tight stuff. Then it steepens and I find my rhythm just in time for it to almost be over.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Sorry Err, we didn't hook up with you guys for the ride. We met some of your crew at the bottom and then waited up top for a while. With the weather coming, we kinda wanted to roll. It was a good night in Moose. My buddy cleaned the 5 log section and I found out I can throw a 41lb bike way over my head if I try too hard for the wheelie That trail is so weird and fun, I always feel stiff at the top(and nauseous from the climb) and make silly mistakes early on in the tight stuff. Then it steepens and I find my rhythm just in time for it to almost be over.
    No worries man, we'll hookup soon I'm sure. Glad you guys had a good ride. Moose was a bit mean to me. Ripped a tire, crashed a couple times. One guy in our group broke his toe. But we did see a Moose down near the end of the trail which was cool.

That double log hop is a blast. It looks mean but once you get it figured out, it's gravy.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    oooh... I have seen this syndrome before. You are OverMoosed... I suggest alternating Moose Rides with Deer Valley lift riding. Your flow is stuck.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by Err
    Moose was a bit mean to me. Ripped a tire, crashed a couple times. One guy in our group broke his toe.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    oooh... I have seen this syndrome before. You are OverMoosed... I suggest alternating Moose Rides with Deer Valley lift riding. Your flow is stuck.

JMH
    lol, I think you're right. At one point I was riding along all lazy, tapped the front brake at the wrong time and just shot over the bars, it was hilarious.

mtbr member
    You threw that thing in the air like it was a baton!
    Thanks for the ride the other night, that was the most fun i've had in a while. Drop a line the next time you want to go and need to gang-up on a shuttle run.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleWhiteCaveman
    You threw that thing in the air like it was a baton!
    Thanks for the ride the other night, that was the most fun i've had in a while. Drop a line the next time you want to go and need to gang-up on a shuttle run.
    Definitely, good times for sure.

mtbr member
    Just got done riding Moose with Krispy and friends. Err, the log move is sick. We were comparing it to a stunt on another trail that we call "Inconceivable". Super tech for sure. The tree on the right at the end almost makes it un-rideable. One of our crew tried 5-6 times and couldn't quite get it. One of the most difficult moves I have come across. Good times.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by V-Dub
    Just got done riding Moose with Krispy and friends. Err, the log move is sick. We were comparing it to a stunt on another trail that we call "Inconceivable". Super tech for sure. The tree on the right at the end almost makes it un-rideable. One of our crew tried 5-6 times and couldn't quite get it. One of the most difficult moves I have come across. Good times.
    Glad you're diggin' it. I need to reset the rock entrance. I kind of ran out of time/energy that day. I'm nursing a finger that was bent severely in the wrong direction over the weekend but hope to get back out there soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    where is this i'm new to riding in the area and would like some info on some more trails like this one.

Apr 2007
    I might have rode that before with V-dub and Krispy when I was out there.

Just roll it......
    Rode this with Toni, Steve, Ted, Dan and Dave last Thursday. Awesome ride and we stopped to do some repair work on the entrance of the logride. Even with the improvement, it was f'ing tough as hell. Everyone tumbled off before the end and I gotta agree with V-Dub that the tree on the right at the end is going to make the exit damn near impossible.

Pic of Toni on the improved entrance, but none of us cleaned it. Still in SLC so I'll post up more pics when I'm back in Sea-town.

Cheers,
    EB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johngchrist
    where is this i'm new to riding in the area and would like some info on some more trails like this one.
    It's on I-80, at Parley's summit, north side.

Look a few pages back on this forum. LOTS of info on this trail.
    Santa Cruz Bronson 2 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Nice work on the log ride, it looks solid and almost doable now

So we rode this yesterday and noticed someone made a section up high easier. There is a spot where you have to rock your bars while trying not to snag a babyhead size rock on the left 2/3rds of the line and then make a hard 90 degree turn to the left over multiple rocks and then drift right through more rocks. It's always been hard as hell and I've only cleaned it once. Anyways, yesterday I noticed the babyhead sized rock had been removed and replaced with a couple flat rocks. I made the turn and then noticed the babyhead had been placed in what was a hole between rocks to make that smoother too. It definitely made the line easier. We were racing a thunderstorm, so I just rode on hoping it was just that one of the builders of the trail had decided that spot needed a bit more flow.

We then had a great ride all the way down to the anazasi ladder. I wisely stopped before the rock and ran up to make sure the ladder was in it's spot. Someone had moved it so it was not at a steep angle and about 4" to the left. I would have likely missed it if I had done my normal line You could tell it was a purposeful change by how it was dug in. I personally liked it better the original way so I felt pretty good about moving it back to it's original steep roll in. I rode it and it's good again. I know some people don't like the steep drop in but it's doable. Heck, the original ladder which broke was rideable and it was just a little tiny tranny at the bottom.

I hope people don't dumb down this trail. Adding new options and challenges seems great, but I like that I can't clean everything.

BTW - We just got out of the tech sections when the storm hit in full force. Hail, lightning, and lots of rain. The trails should be in great conditions after the rain to knock down the dust and pack things back in

Members who have read this thread: 0