Moosetacular!!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Moosetacular!!

Err
    Calm like a bomb

Moosetacular!!

The word moose is fun you can mangle it in all sorts of ways. Moosey, mooseish, mooseerific, moosetacular

First off, sorry, no pics, shoulda carried the cam tonight. Or are we just over the whole moose thing? Dunno, I'm still kinda new around here so it seems they're worth talking about.

Anyway, parked at Big Water and pedaled up to Dog Lake. First time, was fairly easy so we pressed on to Desolation Lake. Early in the single track climb I look over my left shoulder to see a calf moose and it's mom hanging out just above the trail. They kept a watchful eye, we had enough room to move on. A few minutes later we pop out into a meadow and I spot another moose off to the right lying in the tall grass. I wait for M to catch up and we proceed on by with probably a 50 yard girth. As we pedal away, we notice another moose lying right next to this one in the grass. Another few minutes of pedaling and damn if another cow and her calf aren't almost standing right on the trail. She looks a bit irritated at us for disrupting their fine evening so we hike through the woods, keeping a good 100' between us. Within a few minutes we're at Desolation Lake where we climbed to the Crest and bombed back to Mill Creek.

So that's 6 moose in one night and 14 in the past month. I had no idea there would be that kind of moose population around SLC. Purdy darn cool. So wish I had the cam tonight, had the opportunity for some pretty cool shots.

P.S. If you scream at a moose in your best Angus-Young-rock-star voice like you aim to take lead on Back in Black, well the moose, they just love it. Settles them right down, nice and calm. Moose love AC*DC.

I'm pretty sure it's a crime to start a thread without pics so...

Dr. Pepper drinker
    I haven't gotten over the moose thing yet after 4 years out here, still really cool spotting them on rides. I've seen a couple this year on drives back from riding in the Uintas but none on the actual rides. I obviously need to get some Moose Hollow or Millcreek rides penciled into the schedule soon.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

I Just Ride....
    In all of my years of riding on the Wasatch Front, etc, I have never seen a moose, let alone six in one ride.
    I always arrive at a point where some riders are gathered and ask me, "Did you see the moose?"
    Ride On!
    Brian
    Artistic Mountain Bike Photography
    My MTBR Gallery
    "I Ride my bike, to Ride my bike...."
    From a Zen proverb

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    In all of my years of riding on the Wasatch Front, etc, I have never seen a moose, let alone six in one ride.
    I always arrive at a point where some riders are gathered and ask me, "Did you see the moose?"
    Ride On!
    Brian
    I never seemed to catch sight of bear in NC despite their being everywhere. Guess I'm making up for it now. Maybe it's all the evening riding, just hitting it at the right time.

mtbr member
    I rode the crest last night and didn't see any moose - they must've all been down the mill D side. It's been more than a couple years since I've seen them here riding but I've seen a fair share. What was wild though is that I'd never seen a porcupine on a ride my entire 20 years of riding but last week on the pioneer trail I nearly ran over 3 of them. Not as cool as when my wife almost hit a huge black bear in Whistler last summer but possibly more consequential to a good pair of tires.

mtbr member
    That's cool Err. I about hit a moose head on on my very first ride in Park City about 3 years ago. We were both pretty surprised. Me especially so because I had no idea at the time that they had moose in utah let alone that close to town (Gambel Oak loop). She turned heal and ran (thankfully). There wasn't a lot of room to maneuver.

I have't seen one since though.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    So after posting this yesterday I was riding an amazing trail at an undisclosed place near Ogden and sure enough - I get a yell from one of the guys riding behind me and thinking it was someone broken down I look back only to see a HUGE bull moose bareling along side the right of the trail we were riding. I guess we scared it and it was at full pace. It ran past us and across the trail where we were riding. Scared the crap out of me!!

Members who have read this thread: 0