The Moose is loose!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

The Moose is loose!

Sorry for the short notice fellas but it's just a clean out run...

Allright all you Moose lovers the Moose will officially be Loose tomorrow thursday the 10th at 6:30pm at the usual spot. Bring yer pack worthy clippers and folding saws.

VDub and i will be embarking on the annual clean out of Moosie to get it ready for the weekly loonatic Go-Ride bro-ride also known as Black Diamond Wednesday.

Assuming we can find the trail again and get her cleaned out ya'll can keep tuned in for weekly ride/guides on Moose by checking the Local's Corner of our site...
    http://www.go-ride.com/Locals%20Corner.html

Later!
    Krispy
    Santa Cruz Bronson 2 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I hiked up backwards to the lower rock and it is clear and fast. Don't know about the upper portions, but I guess I will find out tomorrow night!

JMH

This thread has some photos from last fall, as well as directions to the top trailhead at Parley's Summit.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=Moose
    Last edited by JMH; 05-09-2007 at 07:02 PM.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    In!

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Kris-

Agh- I totally forgot that we have to pick someone up at the airport by 8.30, so it will be a tight run for us. Chuky and I may start up the climb right at 6.30, just in case we are gone when you get there.

Are you leaving a car below? I am planning to leave mine at the Golf Course and ride up with Err... but now I am thinking I will have to pin it immediately back into town.

JMH

Aug 2004
    I'd be in for checking it out, but I'm not in the know so to speak. If you could give me directions to where you are meeting that would be great. I live in Park City.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Coming from PC, exit Parley's Summit, turn right (North) and park in the dirt area against the hillside where you see the other riders.

JMH

mtbr member
    I'll leave my van at the bottom so everyone can meet at Parley's Summit.

Vdub and i are bringing lights in case we spend too much time grooming before dark.

Enduroist
    Mar 2007
    Damn, I am really excited to ride that trail (so is my new bike), and would love to put in some work up there, but tonight is bad for me. Next time, I will be there for sure.

Thanks for posting. Have fun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshP
    Damn, I am really excited to ride that trail (so is my new bike), and would love to put in some work up there, but tonight is bad for me. Next time, I will be there for sure.

Thanks for posting. Have fun.
    Ditto.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    out!

next week. oncall this week is killing me...

mtbr member
    New Freeride trail?? Nice - Is this a shuttle or a pure up and back? I've got to be somewhere by about 8:30 as well but would love to check it out and help with cleanup. Is it an easy early bailout or will everyone have to wait for a shuttle driver to get them back to their vehicles? Maybe some info on the nature of the trail . . ??

www.bigwavedaveshome.com

mtbr member
    Crap - forgot - the wife's got indoor soccer and I've got an Ice hockey game tonight - If you get the wed night thing going then then we'll just have to check it out next week.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Chuky and I will be hitting it pretty regularly, I really like that trail. I will post up, and anyone is welcome. Also, like Krispy said, there will be regular Go-Ride gatherings.

Some additional Moose trivia:

It has a 20-25 minute ride/hike at the beginning. At the microwave towers we usually regroup and jam on the flat singletrack to the top of Moose. We stop there and throw on whatever armor we brought. It probably only takes 25-30 minutes to get down if you keep moving, but we usually stop and fool around so ride times of about 45 minutes are common. The trail dumps out at the Mountain Dell Golf Course on East Canyon.

I guess I wouldn't call it a "DH" trail, really, except it IS all down hill. I call it a "backwoods" trail. It's really tight between the trees, and there are probably 50 log-overs, a few steep drop/turns and a few creek crossings. Last year, route-finding could be difficult, but it should be good this year, at least the part I saw last weekend looked good. Shin guards or pants are nice because of the brush, maybe some knuckle protection for punching the trees, and DEFINITELY eye protection. Full face helmets and other armor are probably overkill.

I wish I could have gone tonight! See you all next time instead.

JMH

Aug 2004
    Just wanted to say thanks to Krispy for showing me the trail, I really enjoyed it. Keep me posted when people are planning on riding. I have a pick up truck that makes a good shuttle vehicle.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    How was it? I was surprised at the lack of cleaning necessary below the rock. Was it pretty clear all the way?

JMH

mtbr member
    DUDE MANY THANKS TO ALL WHO RODE IT LAST SUMMER- IT IS STILL ALL GOOD TO GO!!!!!

Also thanks to mother nature and our mild winter and dry spring.The begining was a little hard to find but as soon as we got into the woods the trail was really pretty easy to find.

v and i brought tools and they didn't even need to be brought out! We did clean up the Log Double. We packed up a bunch more dirt on the lip and V and i cleared it the 1st time. then i hit it again and cased it and flipped over the bars like a champ. The Rock Waterfall was wet and muddy. V and i made it past the rock drop but both stalled out in the quagmire afterward. The Anasazi Ladder is still kickin and solid. There is a new kicker over the little creek near the bottom too!

No wildlife though.

We invited a dude passing through from SoCal, that was intertaining. I guess there aren't a lot of downed trees in the apex of corrners at elevation there...

Until next week.....

Krispy

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Was it Shiver Me Timbers?

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    We invited a dude passing through from SoCal, that was intertaining. I guess there aren't a lot of downed trees in the apex of corrners at elevation there...

mtbr member
    If only..

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Check the Logan thread... we are going to try to meet SMT for some bobsled runs on Sunday at 3pm... you KNOW you're curious!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Was it Shiver Me Timbers?

no ...Sunday I willbe down in SLC Sunday around 9 or 10 am
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

biking is fun
    just to make sure, it is going on tomorrow (5/15) at 630 right? if so i think im in?

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba
    just to make sure, it is going on tomorrow (5/15) at 630 right? if so i think im in?
    I'm a retard, it's Thurs night.

mtbr member
    Anyone heading up tomorrow/tonight for some loosey moosey action?
    It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Moose riding is tenetively scheduled for tomorrow pm. I think between 5pm and 7ish so the after work crowd can come. I'll try to post with a more definitive time around lunch tomorrow.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Myself and the wifey are in. Lookin' forward to it.

Members who have read this thread: 0