Moose Deux- Mtbr.com

Thread: Moose Deux

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Moose Deux

Tonight (Thursday, 17th)

Meet at the Parleys Summit lot at 6.30... we will roll at 6.40 or so.

JMH

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    it's on!

mtbr member
    Anyone going any earlier?? Like 5:30 maybe?

mtbr member
    I think i'm going to stuff my bike in my car and make the trek.

WOOT!
    It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Good times tonight! Trail's lookin' good, too! I'll bring a folding saw to get rid of that deadfall below the chute next time. Thanks for putting up with my whiny-ass-fear-the-wrath-of-my-wife self! I got home only marginally late.

Anyone up for another run next week?

Dave

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Yup, was a killer run down.

I'll prob be up for another go next week, but catching a plane to FL on Thurs for the weekend so have to be Mon-Wed 4 me.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    It was a little too dark on the trail to get any good shots... we have to go some time during the day and play around.

Here are Mr and Mrs Err, pushing and checking out the vistas.

Next week sounds great. Wednesday?

JMH
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Not sure if yall can divulge this or not...turn off from the ridge (after radio towers) is right (well left) where the fork in the trail is. ( right fork to lookout, straight towards 157 and East Canyon, left to Moose? ) Was up there over the weekend, didn't see much else as the option...but it sounds like it might be less than obvious.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    At the radio towers, head West around the left side... there is a little single-to-double track that climbs up past a shack about 150 yards up the ridge. Then it's all singletrack goodness for about a mile, when you will come to a trail intersection at a large gray rock.

This is the trailhead for MH. Take the barely-there South trail that drops immediately off the ridge down through the oaks.

Once you exit at the bottom through the deep grass, turn right on the double track in the big meadow. This is Alexander Creek and will take you out past the Mountain Dell Golf Course.

JMH

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I'm planning to ride Moose tomorrow night. Prob around 6:00 @ the bottom.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    6pm? If I can clear it with the wife, I'm down. I might even try to rally a full-on Carolina Coalition! (well, one other guy, anyway)

-D

Zak
    Discernibly Turgid
    Jul 2004
    Hey Tony - we'll see you up there tonight.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I am going to ride XC bikes at Big Water with my dad's cousin and his son. Should be a blast, I don't think they ride at all!

Ahh, family.

Have fun!

JMH

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    oh, so you do go all the way out to the rock (I was wondering about the intersection just before going out to the rock on the single track). Ok, I think. The MH trail must cross a more developed trail on its way down (pretty quickly after the rock), correct? (the one that goes out to the 157 above east canyon) I think I saw the MH, but it was so faint that I wasn't sure! Thanks for the extra pointers. I'll try to find some time to poke around out there...from what i've read from you guys its potentially do-able on a mostly XC style rig w/out pads etc...for an adventurous lycra clad guy?

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    SLC Newbie here. Where is this Moose monstrosity?

DL

mtbr member
    Sorry Toni, looking at a car this evening...
    It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    The ability to lower the saddle is pretty key. The shin guards are to protect you from the trees, not from falls, so they aren't essential.

Chuky, Bleu, myself and many others have ridden it on hardtails and had a great time.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk
    oh, so you do go all the way out to the rock (I was wondering about the intersection just before going out to the rock on the single track). Ok, I think. The MH trail must cross a more developed trail on its way down (pretty quickly after the rock), correct? (the one that goes out to the 157 above east canyon) I think I saw the MH, but it was so faint that I wasn't sure! Thanks for the extra pointers. I'll try to find some time to poke around out there...from what i've read from you guys its potentially do-able on a mostly XC style rig w/out pads etc...for an adventurous lycra clad guy?

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by bleu
    Sorry Toni, looking at a car this evening...
    slacker

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    The ability to lower the saddle is pretty key. The shin guards are to protect you from the trees, not from falls, so they aren't essential.

Chuky, Bleu, myself and many others have ridden it on hardtails and had a great time.

JMH
    Hmm...I just re-read one of the original posts about the trail ( http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=304813 ) and now I'm not so sure. Maybe if I'm feeling brave. My seat only lowers with a 5mm allen key. Thanks for the info none-the-less. I can be sure that there is no way I could get up on that log, and clipless pedals would make even trying pretty much crazy.

I do agree with the posters in that thread though - "dumbing down" ANY trail is a SIN. More power to you guys for being able to ride it.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    I'm planning to ride Moose tomorrow night. Prob around 6:00 @ the bottom.
    Toni,
    Any idea what time you'll be unloading up top? I'm either going to head up there or just cruise up Millcreek after work. Problem is I'm not off til 5:30 and gettting home and then up there by 6:00 isn't going to happen, I could probably make it to the top by 6:30 though. Not sure how quickly you guys get going when you arrive.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Sorry to bail. The wife wants me home tonight, so I know better than to ride! Next time.

D

Members who have read this thread: 0