Monticello, Shay Ridge Aspen Flat Loop ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Monticello, Shay Ridge Aspen Flat Loop ?

Does anyone have any information on mountain biking in the Manti La Sal NF near Monticello.

Specifically the Shay Ridge and Aspen Flat trails ? Or any other trails in this area.

mtbr member
    I shuttled one time to Foy Lake and climbed Robertson Pasture to Red Ledges. Dropped down that and crossed the drainage (the upper end of Indian Creek) to Aspen Flat. Then took a FS road to Indian Creek trail and rode that all the way out to Newspaper Rock on 211. Rugged, backcountry trails and a memorable adventure ride.

The Abajos or Blue Mountains don't get much attention. I think Western Spirit does some guided tours there but otherwise it's rather untrammeled compared to it's sister range to the north, the LaSals. If you can find a copy, there are some ride descriptions in Todd Campbell's original Moab guidebook from the early 90s, "Above and Beyond Slickrock".

A loop with Aspen Flat and return on Red Ledges is a little more than 8 miles from the North Canyon Rd. Shay Ridge would make an longer loop option. Check with the FS to see if the deadfall has been cleared first.
    Last edited by rockman; 06-03-2014 at 08:41 AM.

More Chasmism
    Robertson Pasture. Loop it. One of SE Utah's best. Better than Aspen and Shay.

hfly

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    here are the other threads I found on the subject.

Pretty funny reads, especially 'shrubecks' trip report from 2009.

been a few years since anyone has posted anything more definitive

http://forums.mtbr.com/utah/abajos-m...ns-399555.html
    http://forums.mtbr.com/utah/beta-tra...lo-546248.html
    http://forums.mtbr.com/utah/se-utah-...re-486048.html

Whatever you do, make sure to post back!

mtbr member
    I'm doing at least one ride in this area. I'll report back and let you all know how it goes... Ill be riding the week of June 16

ps thanks very much for the replies..

btw this map is the bomb.... I just got it yesterday, I mean the thing is a work of art...

http://www.amazon.com/Manti-La-Sal-N...s=manti+la+sal

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I don't know if I dare confess on this website or not but I spent several days exploring the abajo mountains last September, but the confession part is because it was on my atv rather than the mountain bike. Absolutely beautiful area, fantastic scenery, lot of deer, and more forests than most would expect to find in Utah. There are enough forest service roads and atv trails such as the shay ridge trail that you could ride for days without hitting the same trail twice. Keep in mind that the higher elevation areas can and do get a lot more rain than the desert valley below, and it might even get quite cold on you. As others have mentioned also keep in mind that much of the area doesn't see a whole lot of use and is fairly remote.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UTGeezer View Post
    I don't know if I dare confess on this website or not but I spent several days exploring the abajo mountains last September, but the confession part is because it was on my atv rather than the mountain bike. Absolutely beautiful area, fantastic scenery, lot of deer, and more forests than most would expect to find in Utah. There are enough forest service roads and atv trails such as the shay ridge trail that you could ride for days without hitting the same trail twice. Keep in mind that the higher elevation areas can and do get a lot more rain than the desert valley below, and it might even get quite cold on you. As others have mentioned also keep in mind that much of the area doesn't see a whole lot of use and is fairly remote.
    bro no worries... most passable atv trails are what I usually like to ride... thx for the beta... this place sounds more romantic the more I hear about it... I am getting psyched up..

mtbr member
    Trip report??