e=mtb2

Moabosaurus Utahensis

jeez, I was hoping it was new model full suspension fat tire mountain bike

BYU researchers name Utah’s newly discovered dinosaur after Moab

http://fox13now.com/2017/04/12/byu-researchers-name-utahs-newly-discovered-dinosaur-after-moab/

PROVO, Utah — The discovery of a new dinosaur unearthed in Utah was published this week, and BYU researchers have named the 32-foot herbivore Moabosaurus Utahensis in honor of the city of Moab.

According to a press release from Brigham Young University, the Moabosaurus discovery was published this week by the University of Michigan’s Contributions from the Museum of Paleontology.

Three BYU researchers and a BYU graduate authored the paper, which profiles a 125-million-year-old dinosaur whose skeleton was assembled with bones extracted from the Dalton Wells Quarry near Arches National Park.

Brooks Britt, a BYU geology professor and an author on the paper, said they identify dinosaur bones through constant comparisons to similar finds.

“It’s like looking at a piece of a car,” Britt stated in the press release. “You can look at it and say it belongs to a Ford sedan, but it’s not exactly a Focus or a Fusion or a Fiesta. We do the same with dinosaurs.”

Moabosaurus is classified as a sauropod, which is a group that includes brontosaurus and brachiosaurus. The herbivores have long necks and pillar-like legs.

Britt said during the dinosaurs’ time, Utah was filled with large trees, plentiful streams and lakes as opposed to the desert climate of today.

“We always think of Moab in terms of tourism and outdoor activities, but a paleontologist thinks of Moab as a gold mine for dinosaur bones,” Britt said.

The dinosaur’s name pays tribute to that “gold mine” of ancient discoveries.

“We’re honoring the city of Moab and the State of Utah because they were so supportive of our excavation efforts over the decades it’s taken us to pull the animal out of the ground,” Britt stated, referencing the digs that began when he was a BYU geology student in the late ’70s.

Britt said they were lucky to recover any usable bones from the site, as he said many of the bones were trampled by the survivors of a severe drought that killed many dinosaurs. Most of the bones at the site are fragmentary, so it took decades for paleontologists to uncover enough bones to fully describe the Moabosaurus.

The fully assembled skeleton is on display at BYU’s Museum of Paleontology, though the placard has yet to be updated with the new name.

“Sure, we could find bones at other places in the world, but we find so many right here in Utah,” Britt said. “You don’t have to travel the world to discover new animals.”

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    I saw two mating near the Great Escape trail a couple of days ago. They are hard to describe.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    I saw two mating near the Great Escape trail a couple of days ago. They are hard to describe.
    I think it's time for glasses bro. Those were tortoises.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Does anybody else realize the irony in Brigham Young University having a museum of Paleontology?

I always thought the devil put dinosaurs here...

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post
    Does anybody else realize the irony in Brigham Young University having a museum of Paleontology?

Even mystics get things figured out once in a while. A broken clock is correct twice a day...
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Where did you hear that?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Seriously?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Seriously?
    Yes, seriously. I've never heard that.

Your Best Friend
    Yeah. This should be good.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    There are some who say that Satan planted dinosaur fossils on the earth to entice people towards disbelief in God.

There's also some who say God planted the fossils himself as a test of faith.

Of course those are the hard core literalists saying those things.

That particular comment was tongue in cheek, though I still find the study of Paleontology at BYU ironic.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Are LDS folks strict creationists?
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

Your Best Friend
    Lds folks are creationists, just like most religions. They do however believe in science. They absolutely do not believe that Satan planted anything here on earth. This is rich.

pedlr
    I think Satan created the climb out of Ramblin Trail.

pedlr
    Previewed the new West Horsethief trail today... it' gonna be a good one.

Trail Mix are creationists.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    A work associate told me once that many years ago, a BYU paleontology professor told him that the bones were planted here by aliens.

I agree with Moabman about Ramblin....all that sweet slickrock cruising for like 10 minutes, then 30-40 minutes of climbing out (I'm slow, fat and lazy).

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Lds folks are creationists, just like most religions. They do however believe in science. They absolutely do not believe that Satan planted anything here on earth. This is rich.

For the record, I was not implying LDS people are the hard core literalists. It was simply a sarcastic comment about religion in general since in my opinion, paleontology flies in the face of creationism and a 10000 year old planet.

Wait, I'm sure you'll say that no one believes that either. And you'd be right. Because when science finds evidence that contradicts what the Bible states or implies, religious leaders are quick to shift their beliefs to align with fact.

That's it, I'll say no more on this topic.

Apologies for the derailment.

Your Best Friend
    I'm not religious. Don't get me wrong. I was raised lds so I have a good understanding of their beliefs and culture. I think it's funny when people with no understanding of a culture start telling others what that culture believes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Whoa whoa whoa, I wouldn't say religious folk change their views based on evidence....quite the opposite actually. 😁

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moabman View Post
    Previewed the new West Horsethief trail today... it' gonna be a good one. Trail Mix are creationists.
    Tell more about this trail. Where is it located? There's a lot of Horse Thievery about in Utah.

Levity, awesome dino find; thanks for posting.
    The best defense against bullsh*t is vigilance. If you smell something, say something.
    Jon Stewart

pedlr
    Last edited by moabman; 05-13-2017 at 03:30 PM.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    So that is where the new trail is located! The big Moab secret is out. I was expecting something in that area that eventually gets plugged into Deadhorse and this may be part of such a system.

That whole Navajo Rocks / Horsethief / upper Mag 7 system has so much MTB sweetness! Other than where the devil put that ugly climb up slick rock at the bottom of Ramblin...

I thought the earth is only 6,000 years old per some theists. Moses was 180 years old or something like that. When you don't have an evidence based worldview you can pick any numbers you want. Why constrain a good story :-)

Meanwhile, this Washington Post article reports on a Canadian find that is is truly amazing. Not a dino skeleton but an almost complete dino as if sculpted! Tough for south Utah to beat that! We need to keep our eyes open for this possibility.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...like-a-statue/

More on this critter will be in the June National Geographic.

Along with this dino topic is the recent announcement of probable human activity 130,000 years ago in southern California. Intriguing!

pedlr
    It's on trail forks now. Open to public as of yesterday

e=mtb2
    Thanks for the heads-up on the new trail, moabman!

Good timing as Mrs levity and I are visiting from SoCal, and it made a nice Mother's Day ride. Fun to head out on the new "Rodeo" trail before it gets fully "burned in". We measured it as 10.2 miles round trip from the Horsethief parking area on Hwy 313 with a total elevation gain of 912 ft. Would make a nice combo with the Mustang/Whirlwind/Wildcat trails.

We were lucky to meet Scott and Sharon of Moab Trail Mix while on our ride. A BIG SHOUT OUT to them for their efforts in building this and other great trails in the area! THANK YOU!!!

Moabosaurus Utahensis-scott-sharon2.jpg

They did some beautiful rock work on the trail, especially on some step-ups and sand-to-rock transitions.

Moabosaurus Utahensis-rodeo-trail-work2.jpg

Lots of fun slick rock riding and many shelf out-croppings like those on the Chisholm Trail.

Moabosaurus Utahensis-rodeo-trail-shelf2.jpg

A number of sections are still pretty sandy, so get out there and pack them down. Right after a rain would be perfect.
    Last edited by levity; 05-14-2017 at 05:15 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0