Moab, when to go?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2012

Moab, when to go?

So just a quick question. A buddy and I are planning our first trip out to Moab this fall. When is a good time to go? They say it gets too hot in the summer so I am guessing September/October?

Thanks,
    Pal

mtbr member
    Outerbike is October 1st-5th this year so that may be something you are totally into or may want to avoid it completely. Outerbike: Moab, Utah

I'd love to go someday but we'll miss it by a week as I'm going the 4th-11th this year

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    March april may sep oct nov
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Desert Seeker
    Partly depends on your priorities. September can be kind of hot at lower elevations but better for riding in the La Sals. September and October will be busier times for town and more people will be out and about on the trails. We used to go the 1st week in November and always had nice weather but occasionally you will run into some colder weather and you will be limited for higher elevation riding. Room rates are usually cheaper after Nov. 1 and there are fewer people around.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    If you can watch the weather and come out suddenly.
    Over the weekend, Moab had February 60 degree days in sunshine which were HEAVEN.
    And read this blog post Eating My Words: Mountain Biking Moab in January | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog and Living Earl: Bike Moab. Locally we are pedaling year round, you only have to hob-nob in a bike shop to see where those employees have been riding to get the right trail.
    Get your ride on!
    Come meet in Moab.
    Mix Business with Pleasure.
    Moab Meetings & Events Aid

Pick a wheel size...
    This fall will be my third trip out to Moab--I always go the first week of October. The weather has always cooperated with the exceptions of a few torrential downpours/hailstorms!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Yes, July and October are the monsoon months. Weekends in October are quite busy, plan ahead or arrive mid-week.
    Get your ride on!
    Come meet in Moab.
    Mix Business with Pleasure.
    Moab Meetings & Events Aid

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Hi..thought I would post a follow on question rather than a new thread. Is it insane to go in august? I have a work trip to Denver coming up and was thinking of staying a week and travelling to Moab. I notice there are few 3-5 day organized trips available, I assume due to the heat.

A part of me wants to do the White Rim in a day (since I would be solo)..am I crazy to even think of it in August? I am ok with just doing early morning rides, perhaps light hiking/climbing/site seeeing in afternoon or late days. Any advice to a sea-level cold blooded Canadian.

Desert Seeker
    August in Moab is for high mountain riding (LaSals) or early morning in the desert. Yes, I think White Rim in a day in August is crazy, even deadly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thanks for the perspective! I will look at a number of 4-5 hour rides from early morning depending on the weather !