Moab Trip Vehicle Rental- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Moab Trip Vehicle Rental

Hello gang!

Planning a trip to Moab first weekend in October and trying to figure out what to rent for vehicle(s). There will be 6 of us so we were thinking maybe a pickup truck or van that would fit us all + bikes. Was also thinking maybe we should rent 2 vehicles in case we want to shuttle. Any specialty vehicles to rent for this type of trip?
    We are all advanced riders looking to get to all if the goods. Thanks all and happy trails!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ragerider View Post
    Hello gang!

Planning a trip to Moab first weekend in October and trying to figure out what to rent for vehicle(s). There will be 6 of us so we were thinking maybe a pickup truck or van that would fit us all + bikes. Was also thinking maybe we should rent 2 vehicles in case we want to shuttle. Any specialty vehicles to rent for this type of trip?
    We are all advanced riders looking to get to all if the goods. Thanks all and happy trails!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How far do you plan on driving with six people? My pickup was just in the shop and Ford gave me an F150 crew cab with the bench that has the fold down center console that can fold up to be a center seat in the front, so technically it carries six. It would not be fun to be the center person in the front seat of that thing.

A full sized van would be best. A Minivan would work if you had a four bike rear rack, but they do not rent those types of racks.

Are you renting in Moab? Prepare for sticker shock.

mtbr member
    I would personally rent two pickups for six people. But if you're tight on cash, you can fit 6 bikes over the tailgate of a fullsize pickup, and six people inside. It might not even be terrible if you get an F-250, or similar.

I went to Moab last year, and we had a group of 15 with four fullsize pickups, which was perfect. We didn't shuttle ourselves, but had the option.

Fullsize vans are usually expensive to rent (just in my experience). I've never tried to fit 6 bikes in a van, but it seems like it might be difficult. My buddy and I rented a Dodge Caravan, and it was all we could do to fit two bikes and our luggage inside. They aren't very tall.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    If you’re flying into Moab a pickup may not be an option. If you fly into GJ it probably will. Most of the bike shops have tailgate protectors for pickups and fitting six won’t be a problem.