Moab Trip Planner - Page 4- Mtbr.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for the update!

I'll keep watching the forecast and check in again a few days before I leave.

I plan on bringing my rv trailer down (instead of pay for somewhere to stay) but I usually camp out by Sovereign/Klonzo or up cane creek road. How are the road conditions? I don't mind getting everything dirty but I don't want to do irreparable damage and jack up the roads or venture down there and find out access is closed.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Everything is fairly dried out at the moment.I rode my dirtbike in the upper Porcy area yesterday and there was very little mud. My best advice is to just size it up when you get here because we do have some wet/ snow conditions shaping up for the end of this week. The road out to Klonzo stays in pretty good condition year round as it is packed pretty good, except across the wash. I'm sure you will find something.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    How are things looking for this weekend? Forecast just appears to be cold, which I can deal with but are mag 7, navajo rocks and/or amasa still rideable?

mtbr member
    No first hand info, but based on pics from Guerilla Gravity over the last week, all that stuff looks good. Unfortunately the Poison Spider conditions page hasn't been updated in two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Quote Originally Posted by DRIDE View Post
    How are things looking for this weekend? Forecast just appears to be cold, which I can deal with but are mag 7, navajo rocks and/or amasa still rideable?
    Yes

Revised 1-27-17: Navajo Rocks is rideable with patches of thin snow. Amassa back same. Upper Mag 7 and Horsethief trails have patchy snow to 8" deep depending on where you ride. Excellent crust and perfect for fatbike, not doable on regular MB
    Last edited by SAM313; 01-27-2017 at 03:35 PM.

mtbr member
    You guys get rain yesterday and last night as well? Thinking of heading over from Grand Junction tomorrow if you're drier than we are.

Desert Seeker
    Well, pretty dry so far - I rode Pipe Dream this morning and it was great. However, we are getting a few stray showers and hard to say if we will get significant amounts. Sounds like it is much drier than GJ though, so....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glesoine View Post
    Well, pretty dry so far - I rode Pipe Dream this morning and it was great. However, we are getting a few stray showers and hard to say if we will get significant amounts. Sounds like it is much drier than GJ though, so....
    Thanks. We ended up chickening out since it was still saying like 60% chance of rain. Wasn't keen on driving over and playing it safe with Slickrock for example (and then maybe riding in the rain on top of that).

Of course later I saw like 3 other guys I knew all went and said the dirt was great..... meanwhile I went for a road ride here. Sad.......

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Trail conditions for this weekend?

Heard there was snow over the weekend. Poison Spider's trail conditions website hasn't been updated since last week:
    Trail Conditions: Moab Utah MTB Trails Current Update

Pretty sure Amasa and Mag 7 trails will be ok, but curious about Porc.

Desert Seeker
    Porc is open but not LPS. THey were dropping at Lazy Man's entrance. It is warm so may change...

mtbr member
    Heading to Fruita tomorrow and then Moab on Saturday. What's the current update on Porcupine? How far up are you able to ride?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    Heading to Fruita tomorrow and then Moab on Saturday. What's the current update on Porcupine? How far up are you able to ride?

Thanks!
    glesoine posted that info 39 minutes prior to your post.

mtbr member
    Uh... His post above says a week ago.

pedlr
    Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:10 AM
    Subject: BLM Campgrounds Filling Early Every Day--Please Share with Staff & On Websites

Hi All:

FYI--Our campgrounds are filling earlier each day this season:

Goose Island and Grandstaff fill around 8 am.

Anything within 10 miles of Moab have been filling by noon or earlier, including Ken's Lake.

Upper River and 313 campsites have been filling between noon and 3pm (earlier on weekends and event days).

The Ledges are typically filling by late afternoon.

We are sending people to Windwhistle & Hatch as a last resort. Dispersed camping, following the restrictions and regulations, is also an option if they will be arriving before dark.

Visitors need to know that they should have back-up plans if arriving after noon. They could consider making a reservation at a private campground for their first night and searching for a site the following morning, IF they want to drive around. If they are arriving late afternoon or evening, reservations at private campgrounds are the way to go if they are planning to stay in the Moab area.

We think the days of driving to Moab and finding a site in our campgrounds after mid-day in the spring and fall may be dwindling fast.

In order to better serve visitors, we would deeply appreciate your help getting this information out, including your websites, since our website is still being built and not helpful at all.

Thanks so much for being such great partners!

Sharon

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by moabman View Post
    Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:10 AM
    Subject: BLM Campgrounds Filling Early Every Day--Please Share with Staff & On Websites

Hi All:

FYI--Our campgrounds are filling earlier each day this season:

Goose Island and Grandstaff fill around 8 am.

Anything within 10 miles of Moab have been filling by noon or earlier, including Ken's Lake.

Upper River and 313 campsites have been filling between noon and 3pm (earlier on weekends and event days).

The Ledges are typically filling by late afternoon.

We are sending people to Windwhistle & Hatch as a last resort. Dispersed camping, following the restrictions and regulations, is also an option if they will be arriving before dark.

Visitors need to know that they should have back-up plans if arriving after noon. They could consider making a reservation at a private campground for their first night and searching for a site the following morning, IF they want to drive around. If they are arriving late afternoon or evening, reservations at private campgrounds are the way to go if they are planning to stay in the Moab area.

We think the days of driving to Moab and finding a site in our campgrounds after mid-day in the spring and fall may be dwindling fast.

In order to better serve visitors, we would deeply appreciate your help getting this information out, including your websites, since our website is still being built and not helpful at all.

Thanks so much for being such great partners!

Sharon

Hard to believe it could get even more crowded. It is hard to imagine how it is all going to work ten years from now if visitation continues increasing at the rate it has for the past ten years.

Formerly of Kent
    Time to start planning and building some high country trails. Altitude and distance from town will keep traffic palatable..

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Time to start planning and building some high country trails. Altitude and distance from town will keep traffic palatable..

There already are great trails in the La Sals, but they are snowed in until May-June. They don't help the Spring crush.

I honestly don't know what the solution is. How many hotels can you build? And Moab already has a huge labor issue. They can't run businesses without people to work at them, but Moab is too expensive for the average worker now. The problem is solved in other tourist places by having workers commute from elsewhere, but that doesn't work in Moab. Building giant low rent apartment complexes seems to be the only solution, but that destroys the character of the town, although the actual town of Moab's character is pretty unspectacular outside of a four square block area around downtown. Moab also has infrastructure issues. Their sewer system is completely maxed out, to the point where the park service now has to haul the crap from the pit toilets hours away to dispose of it.

Eventually there will be a water issue, too. Moab gets its water from wells on the upper side of Spanish Valley and they won't last forever. In theory they could take water from the Colorado, but there are a lot of expensive issues with that.

"Loved to death" doesn't begin to describe the situation. At this point it is corpse abuse.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    So, I was out in Moab over the weekend of 4/1. Holy Hell.

The traffic was insane, every hotel and campsite were full. Saturday morning, the Arches entrance road had spilled out onto the highway, and the traffic was backed up from the river all the way to City Market. Solid. I'm not kidding.

Every trailhead was mobbed. Every coffee shop and restaurant were mobbed. There were absolutely no parking spaces at City Market and the other grocery store, people were parking on the streets around them. You had to wait for a pump at the Maverick.

They are still building and building, there are at least three more hotels framed up already. I think someone there needs to get a handle on things, but being Utah, it is all a cash grab.

I can't imagine what Jeep Week will look like. This was as bad as any Jeep Week I saw up until I started avoiding Moab during Jeep Week.

mtbr member
    ^^^^^^ Pretty much like that the weekend before (3/24-26) as well. It's a great place but I've come to avoid it (this last one was a family trip) except for balmy days in the dead of winter when I can dash down not have to get in line to wait in line.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Coming down arriving Monday. Plan was to camp out at Walmart in Price on Sunday Night to get a spot Monday morning. Are the spots a little further up the 128 a safe place to aim for? Can't see us getting in by 8am, and quite frankly not sure I want to camp where there are people driving through to get spots prior to 8am anyway. May revise and head up the 313. How much different is the weather up that way, looking like a cool down next week and I wouldn't enjoy if it gets much colder than about 65f during the day when we are hanging around camp.

mtbr member
    My buddy and I were planning on heading in June 9th, do you think we could reserve a campsite? Are there sites near a river or stream? Is a 130mm travel evil calling going to be enough bike for some of the rougher trails?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    My buddy and I were planning on heading in June 9th, do you think we could reserve a campsite? Are there sites near a river or stream? Is a 130mm travel evil calling going to be enough bike for some of the rougher trails?
    You can try to reserve at a commercial campground, but the BLM sites are first come, first serve. You can also reserve at Dead Horse Point State Park, which is 40 minutes from town.

There are National Forest campgrounds in the mountains that are 30-40 minutes from town that are next to Mill Creek, and the Warner Lake campground is next to the lake. Ken's Lake is much closer and is near, but not on, Ken's Lake. The BLM sites along the river go fast, but you can always try when you arrive.

Moab Campgrounds

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    Is a 130mm travel evil calling going to be enough bike for some of the rougher trails?
    Yes, my Yeti SB5 has 127mm of rear travel with a 160 fork and it's just fine. The bike is not the limiting factor unless you decide to huck every drop on Rockstacker, or something equally ludicrous.

mtbr member
    Hi friends. We were thinking of trying to hit Moab in October. Never been before.

Will we be faced with the same mad rush as this last spring? I'm thinking the answer is "probably," but for those in the know please advise! I only see a couple comments from 2016 Oct-Nov.

If it's going to be that crowded we'll probably seek our MTB adventures elsewhere - any recommendations on other destinations within a decent radius?

Desert Seeker
    October is a pretty busy month but it sure is a nice time to ride in Moab. I used to schedule the 1st week in November to ride Moab and felt like we had the place to ourselves. You can always split it up with Fruita if you don't like how busy it is when you get here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by griffsterb View Post
    Hi friends. We were thinking of trying to hit Moab in October. Never been before.

Will we be faced with the same mad rush as this last spring? I'm thinking the answer is "probably," but for those in the know please advise! I only see a couple comments from 2016 Oct-Nov.
    I have not encountered the crazy-busy crowds in the fall that you get in the spring. Don't get me wrong, there are people, but just not the same level. I would totally plan it.
    As was already said, November can be awesome and you may find yourself nearly alone.
    2016 Stumpy 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by billj121 View Post
    I have not encountered the crazy-busy crowds in the fall that you get in the spring. Don't get me wrong, there are people, but just not the same level. I would totally plan it.
    As was already said, November can be awesome and you may find yourself nearly alone.
    Good stuff. It looks like we are following through with it. When does the snow start up at Burro pass? We really want to do TWE but also want to go as late into October as possible.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Good stuff. It looks like we are following through with it. When does the snow start up at Burro pass? We really want to do TWE but also want to go as late into October as possible.
    Burro is up over 11,000 feet; conditions vary from year to year, but by late October there is almost always snow, and the shuttles have ended. And, even if the trail is passable - keep in mind that it will be bleeping COLD.

Lower parts of TWE are rideable year round, of course - so you'd be able to ride at least half of it. Or, ride some of Moab's 200+ miles of other trails.

mtbr member
    Like others said, mid-late October is a lovely time to ride Moab and for the most part the trails are less crowded..... which is to say not crowded at all. Don't count on doing the Whole Enchilada but Hazard down is usually still available (depending on the most recent storm) and the rest of the trails are still perfect.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Like others said, mid-late October is a lovely time to ride Moab and for the most part the trails are less crowded..... which is to say not crowded at all. Don't count on doing the Whole Enchilada but Hazard down is usually still available (depending on the most recent storm) and the rest of the trails are still perfect.
    Don't know when you last visited Moab in October, but it is now extremely busy. I know a shop owner in town who set a revenue record last October, more revenue than any other month, ever.

Go take a look at hotel prices for October. A lot are already sold out, you can still get a room at the La Quinta for 10/20-21: $294 a night plus taxes. $672 for two nights.

This is real, look for yourself.

National parks expect record crowds this weekend - Moab Sun News: News

mtbr member
    Oh I know Moab is busy, I meant out on the trails. I rarely see that many people once I'm riding, even on the busiest weekends.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Just stay away from downtown Moab and you'll never know it's crowded.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Just stay away from downtown Moab and you'll never know it's crowded.

Unless you are looking for a campsite...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    There was snow in the mountains last night; not enough to close The Whole Enchilada, but it will be cold and wet.

trail gnome
    Planning a trip for early-to-mid May. This will be our 3rd time in Moab; first time in the spring. Renting a condo.

Questions:

1. How are the crowds then? I see there is a "Rally on the Rocks" event in May. How big of an event is it?

2. Trail recommendations for a 10-day-ish stay? We'll likely do Klondike Bluffs area trails, Mag 7 area trails, Slickrock, TWE (as much as conditions allow), and Amasa Back area trails again. These were our favorites. We walked a few very short sections of TWE and Captain Ahab, but rode pretty much everything else.

I searched this thread for a top-10 list, but couldn't find one. If there is one, could you please direct me to it.

Thanks.

r.

mtbr member
    North Klondike
    Sovereign Trails
    Navajo Rocks
    Bar-M (worth riding if you're there for 10 days)

I'd head down to Monticello for a day or over to Fruita just to mix things up too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette View Post
    Planning a trip for early-to-mid May. This will be our 3rd time in Moab; first time in the spring. Renting a condo.

Questions:

1. How are the crowds then? I see there is a "Rally on the Rocks" event in May. How big of an event is it?

2. Trail recommendations for a 10-day-ish stay? We'll likely do Klondike Bluffs area trails, Mag 7 area trails, Slickrock, TWE (as much as conditions allow), and Amasa Back area trails again. These were our favorites. We walked a few very short sections of TWE and Captain Ahab, but rode pretty much everything else.

I searched this thread for a top-10 list, but couldn't find one. If there is one, could you please direct me to it.

Thanks.

r.
    Just got back from Moab from a 6 day visit and it sounds like we are similar skills-wise. Here are my thoughts:
    1. Mag 7 is always good but very disappointed in the Portal exit - seems that it has had more erosion than I remembered. I use to ride much of it and ended up walking quite a bit. May have had something to do with the heat and exhaustion but it wasn't as good as I remembered.
    2. First time riding Klondike Bluffs and really liked it, particularly the left section of Alaska and Nome.
    3. Avoided Bar-M after riding it on a prior trip, nothing that I really enjoyed.
    4. Did 3/4 of TWE starting near Hazard. Some had said Porc had eroded but I didn't find that at all. Really loved it like always.
    5. Did Hymasa to Captain Ahab, just a great trail.
    6. We did a day up near the start of Mag 7 and rode Getaway that parallels Bull Run, then went over to Gemini Bridges just to see it and hang out for a while. Then we rode back to the start and shuttled the first 3.2 miles of Getaway a few more times just for fun. It's not really technical but we had fun on it. There are also some other trails near Getaway that get good reviews on Mtbproject.com that you may want to check out.
    7. We did Slickrock but heard the recommendation to do it on a full moon night if the timing works for you. That would be interesting.
    8. We didn't make it to Fruita or Grand Junction this year but have done it in the past and would recommend it.
    9. Heard good things about trails south of Moab but have never checked them out.

Other advice which you probably already know is if you are going to be there 10 days, build in some fun days to not ride - maybe rent an ATV or go swimming. I'm pretty beat up after riding 6 straight days with no rest.

Other advice - we did an air b and b rental in the houses/condos on Williams Street. They are three bedroom and we really liked them. The location is perfect in that they are on the north end of town, not far from the bike shops and good restaurants. Also really close to Amasa Back. And fortunately for us on this trip, right across the street from the hospital - a buddy wrecked on Ahab breaking three ribs and suffering a collapsed lung (on Day 1 of all things).

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette View Post
    I see there is a "Rally on the Rocks" event in May. How big of an event is it?
    Huge. Massive. Over 1000 side-by-side ATVs. If you've seen the movie Mad Max - now imagine something 100 times larger. You won't be affected on the bike trails; but you'll need to plan ahead for restaurants, groceries, and traffic in town.

For trails - you don't say what sort of riding you like, or trails in Moab you like, but in some sort of popularity order:
    - TWE (probably Burro Down that time of year)
    - Hymasa/Ahab @ Amasa Back
    - Mag 7 (or just "Mag 3.5" where you avoid Portal)
    - Navajo Rocks
    - Slickrock
    - North Klondike
    - South Klondike
    - Klonzo
    - Pipe Dream
    - Bar M (don't diss it - there's some really technical stuff there)

Waldmeister
    Anyone in Moab the week of Thanksgiving and looking for a riding buddy?
    I will be around and play it by the ear if I will go riding - depending on snowfall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    IMTB

mtbr member
    Alright guys. T-14 days for me and my buddy. How is Burro pass looking? There doesn't appear to be any weather stations nearby.... obviously a lot can change in two weeks anyway.

But, if it's clear we'll shuttle ourselves with the two trucks, probably on Friday.

I'll be arriving in town Thursday, any recommendations for a half day of riding? Somewhere with a couple loops, maybe nearer to town? I don't mind climbing.

Should have full days Saturday and Sunday as well.

Any specific recommendations are welcome. We like fast and flow. Jumps/drops/hucks are good, climbing good as I like to get in my calorie burn if possible. Rock crawling over huge features also good.

My buddy wanted to do Amasa area at some point, would that be an all day ride?

mtbr member
    Alright guys. T-14 days for me and my buddy. How is Burro pass looking? There doesn't appear to be any weather stations nearby.... obviously a lot can change in two weeks anyway.

But, if it's clear we'll shuttle ourselves with the two trucks, probably on Friday.

I'll be arriving in town Thursday, any recommendations for a half day of riding? Somewhere with a couple loops, maybe nearer to town? I don't mind climbing.

Should have full days Saturday and Sunday as well.

Any specific recommendations are welcome. We like fast and flow. Jumps/drops/hucks are good, climbing good as I like to get in my calorie burn if possible. Rock crawling over huge features also good.

My buddy wanted to do Amasa area at some point, would that be an all day ride?
    In my own experience Amasa Back is not an all-day ride, even pushing to the Pothole Rock area and back, 2 1/2-3 hrs maybe.
    For a longer ride, I ride a complete loop around Porcupine (through town, climbing through Sand Flats, accessing LPS from the water tank from the Sand Flats road) so with quite a bit of paved and dirt roads and a good amount of climbing, that takes me around 4 to 4 1/2 hrs.
    Last edited by eurochien; 10-12-2017 at 07:26 PM.
    New to Colorado since 1993.

Desert Seeker
    Posted 6 hours ago on the Poison Spider FB. Looks like they tried Burro and Hazard but no go: "Update from www.weshuttles.com
    Trail Updates: We were hoping to go back to Burro as the road and climb are clear but unfortunately there is just too much snow and mud on the trails from the top of the climb down. At this point Hazard Trail is also not an option, extremely muddy. Hopefully Burro and or Hazard will open up in 1 more week. They need more sun to dry out at this point.
    For now we are shuttling to the bottom of Koko so you can ride UPS down. It is not worth ruining your bike, trails and potentially getting hurt.
    Please stay off of Burro and Hazard if you are self-shuttling. A couple of riders can do enough damage for days worth of work for trail maintenance.
    We will keep you posted as we continue to monitor the trails for you.
    We love bikes, the people that ride them and also our trails!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    A few Moab data points from the weekend of 10/21-22, for future reference:

- TWE was open. There was maybe an inch of snow at the top, but within a mile, the trail was fine. KEEP IN MIND, that the third weekend of October is always deer/elk season. There were hunters everywhere. It would be a good idea to wear orange or at least something bright.
    - They put in a new camp loop at Kens Lake, so they are now up to ~50 or so campsites up there. The new ones are wide open and windy, but if you want to camp where you don't have to have your own potty, they are another option. There were empty sites at 11:00AM Saturday morning, which was a shock to me.
    - I rode Mag7 starting at 9:45 Sunday morning. Alone. As in from top to bottom (I cut off to Gooney Bird), I saw zero other riders. Lots of Jeeps/ATVs/UTVs on the road sections, but zero MTBs anywhere. That was also a shock. BTW, the shelf road up to Gooney Bird from the highway is way, way worse than it has been in years. You would have to be very careful with a Subaru or stock pickup at this point. Once you get to the valley where Gooney Bird is at, it is clear sailing all the way to 313.

mtbr member
    We rode TWE on Sunday, October 15th and saw maybe 15 other riders in 30+ miles. Yep, sure was crowded out there.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by eurochien View Post
    In my own experience Amasa Back is not an all-day ride, even pushing to the Pothole Rock area and back, 2 1/2-3 hrs maybe.
    While this used to be the case, I'd argue that for *most* riders Amasa Back can be a mostly-all-day affair now. Do Hymasa up, hit Cap'n Ahab, Hymasa back up, out to the Jackson's overlook, back down to Pothole, finish with Rockstacker and Jackson's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    While this used to be the case, I'd argue that for *most* riders Amasa Back can be a mostly-all-day affair now. Do Hymasa up, hit Cap'n Ahab, Hymasa back up, out to the Jackson's overlook, back down to Pothole, finish with Rockstacker and Jackson's.
    How about for a half-ish day? Thursday Iíll be getting into town around 12-1PM and we want to ride a bit until sundown.

mtbr member
    How about for a half-ish day? Thursday Iíll be getting into town around 12-1PM and we want to ride a bit until sundown.
    In 3.5-5 hrs you can do the double Loop described at Amasa. Good stuff.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Figured I should post this somewhere.

Just spent 3 great nights on the White Rim. But, most of the toilets had no toilet paper. Be prepared if you go!

Formerly of Kent
    Anyone going to be in Moab this weekend (Nov 9-12)?

Looking to put in some long rides at a good clip.

Death from Below.

Waldmeister
    Will be in town this Monday/Tuesday, Nov. 20/21.

Did not yet put too much research in, but seems shuttles are still running up. Was thinking about WE on Monday.

Anyone wants to join?
    IMTB

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I live in SLC not Moab, and would love to come, but I'm pretty sure this storm (Fri-Sun) is going to shut down Burro and the upper stuff for the Winter, leaving you with much shorter versions from here through the Winter.

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    Looking at the Arches entrance and Island in the Sky web cams it looks like Moab got slammed with snow.

Desert Seeker
    Yeah, we got about 8" give or take. Probably will be some good melting over the next couple of days. Poison Spider's web site has all trails closed as of 12/23.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Any melting going? Me and a buddy are planning on going down the second or third weekend of January thinking that most of the snow would be gone by then.

Poison spider is still showing everything closed though...

mtbr member
    GJ is pretty nice right now.
    2017 Specialized Camber FSR

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    ^^^^^ G J didnít get the foot if snow that we did. Itís mostly melted off in town. Iíll be riding Mag 7 area tomorrow and can update then. Lower areas like Bar M and Klonzo will just be mud.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Update: some trails in Navajo rocks may be doable. I saw a couple cars parked at Big Mesa lot. Iím guessing Big Lonely and Coney Island still have too much snow, same with the lower part of Ramblin. I chose to ride Chisholm since the grade is milder and snow wouldnít be an issue. It was rideable on my fat bike, wouldnít be on a regular mountain bike. Still 6+ inches on snow in the shaded regions and upper trail. Everything should be melted off in another week unless we get more snow.

mtbr member
    Rode Big Mesa a week or two after a big snow storm last year or the year before when most other trails in the area were still snowed in or just mud.
    Big Mesa was in pretty good shape in comparison to everything else around. Had a single melted or packed pathway across the white slickrock field after you reach the point, and changed almost instantly to several inches of snow as you crossed the Lone Tree road to start into Big Lonely. Almost like someone flipped an on/off switch for the snow on one side of the road to the other.
    If you have to ride something, Big Mesa might be a best choice.
    2016 Stumpy 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks for the intel. I'll keep an eye on conditions and hope we don't get any major storms (sorry to those wanting snow).

mtbr member
    My group is coming to Moab March 16-20. How are trail conditions looking? Is there a chance LPS/ UPS could be open by then?

Thanks!

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    My group is coming to Moab March 16-20. How are trail conditions looking? Is there a chance LPS/ UPS could be open by then?

Thanks!
    Probably not. It was all dry a week ago. Covered with snow on the upper reaches now. Our weather has not been predictable this Winter and I suspect we will get more rain/snow in the next few weeks. Plan to ride Gemini Bridges area, Navajo Rocks or Amasa Back, those areas are sandier and are good to ride even in the rain.

trail gnome

Arriving in Moab Sunday for 10 nights; any last minute things to be aware of?

We are arriving in Moab this Sunday for 10 nights. Aside from the Rally on the Rocks, are there any events or things going on to be aware of during that timeframe?

Any construction to avoid? Muddy trails to avoid? Trail closures? Trailhead closures? Any new trails or trail sections to check out?

Thx
    Mountain bikers are generally a rational bunch...until someone moves a rock on our favorite trail and we lose our minds - LMN

mtbr member
    Crowds shouldn't be an issue.
    Rodeo is the newest trail I'm aware of, opened last May or so, I think.
    I expect the La Sals got some snow yesterday and today, but it'll warm up to about 90 and stay dry for a while in town.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 05-02-2018 at 05:20 PM.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Crowds shouldn't be an issue.
    Rodeo is the newest trail I'm aware of, opened last May or so, I think.
    I expect the La Sals got some snow yesterday and today, but it'll warm up to about 90 and stay dry for a while in town.
    Nope, crowds wonít be an issue. It will take you over an hour to exit town N/B on weekends due to traffic gridlock. Google maps wonít help you because all our sidestreets were locked up last weekend thanks to them. Once you get out of town you can head to Arches Natl Park where youíll have a half mile of stopped traffic before you even get to the entrance gate, but you can avoid that and stay on the highway and enjoy 30 miles driving 40-45 mph in a 65 mph zone because of traffic overload.
    If you want to get a ride in before dealing with the traffic you can try but most of the parking lots are too overloaded by 1000 am that cars are parking on the highway shoulders on 313.
    Enjoy your visit........

Okay, Iím off the soapbox. Moab is not what it was 10 years ago. No infrastructure improvements in town and no planning for this much tourism, but Itís still beautiful.

livin' the dream......
    I will be coming up from Phoenix in two weeks and meeting some Denver friends in Moab. I frequented Moab from 92-99 and then the frequency of trips slowed down, and other places were visited. I was back last August and was really surprised at the growth and the traffic. It was still fun and beautiful, which is why we are meeting up again in two weeks.

We camped at Big Bend back in August and will probably look for something around that area again. We should arrive pretty late on a Thursday night, do you think there will be much issue finding a site?

For all of my trips there, I have actually done very little riding. Mainly hiking as most of the guys don't ride (old college buddies). However, I would love some feedback about the Porcupine Rim access that meets up with 128. I checked Strava, looks like most rides I checked did an out/back of about 16 miles?

How bad of an idea would it be to ride this solo? Thanks for the feedback.
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm View Post
    We should arrive pretty late on a Thursday night, do you think there will be much issue finding a site?
    Best of luck. Hope your back seat is comfy.

Quote Originally Posted by tjkm View Post
    However, I would love some feedback about the Porcupine Rim access that meets up with 128. I checked Strava, looks like most rides I checked did an out/back of about 16 miles?
    You're suggesting riding UP one of the world's most famous and gnarly downhills. Kind of like going to a ski hill and riding up the black diamond course.

If you're camped along the river - ride to town (bike lane most of the way), then up Sand Flats Road to the top of Porcupine. Way faster than riding up; and was actually one stage of an enduro race last month. Or, ride to town, grab a shuttle, then ride down. Nobody rides up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post

Okay, Iím off the soapbox. Moab is not what it was 10 years ago. No infrastructure improvements in town and no planning for this much tourism, but Itís still beautiful.
    OK, I'll climb up on the soapbox.

Read this and try to digest it: Moab Times-Independent - More and more hotels for Moab

Twelve MORE hotels are either already being built or will be approved for Moab.

In addition, there are literally hundreds of condo units being built exclusively to rent out as nightly rentals. Since these places need workers, they are are going to build a huge, dense housing project on 32 acres out on Spanish Valley. Hundreds of units.

But the real disaster is going to be the water and sewer system the state is building just over the county line.

The population of the Moab area is going to *double* in the next ten-fifteen years.

What do you think that line of cars heading north on 191 will look like then?

livin' the dream......
    Quote Originally Posted by sunderland56 View Post
    Best of luck. Hope your back seat is comfy.

You're suggesting riding UP one of the world's most famous and gnarly downhills. Kind of like going to a ski hill and riding up the black diamond course.

If you're camped along the river - ride to town (bike lane most of the way), then up Sand Flats Road to the top of Porcupine. Way faster than riding up; and was actually one stage of an enduro race last month. Or, ride to town, grab a shuttle, then ride down. Nobody rides up.
    Thanks.
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    The population of the Moab area is going to *double* in the next ten-fifteen years.

What do you think that line of cars heading north on 191 will look like then?
    They'll all be self-driving cars, so things should go much more smoothly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I'm doing a Telluride-Moab trip in August, riding into town on the 12th. I know, I know, it's gonna be hot. Still, I'm excited to ride down Porcupine again; haven't done it in 20 years.

Sounds like things have changed a bit in Moab in the past couple decades.
    * Is camping easy to find in afternoon times during August, or is August also a crowded time now?
    * Is it easy to find a place to leave a couple cars overnight (er, over 6 nights, in August)? There was plenty of empty space way back when, but our shuttle operator said it's not so easy anymore and suggested paying $10/night somewhere to leave a car. If you think it's still easy, please mention where...

Thanks.

pedlr
    Quote Originally Posted by hoos View Post
    I'm doing a Telluride-Moab trip in August, riding into town on the 12th. I know, I know, it's gonna be hot. Still, I'm excited to ride down Porcupine again; haven't done it in 20 years.

* Is camping easy to find in afternoon times during August, or is August also a crowded time now?
    * Is it easy to find a place to leave a couple cars overnight (er, over 6 nights, in August)? There was plenty of empty space way back when, but our shuttle operator said it's not so easy anymore and suggested paying $10/night somewhere to leave a car. If you think it's still easy, please mention where...

Thanks.
    I don't think you'd have much trouble finding a camping spot in mid August,even in the new Moab.

I've never heard of people being charged to park here, but if you dont know a soul I guess it makes sense. I have a parking lot where you could leave a couple of cars for a week. No charge. Just reach out to me in late July if you still need it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by moabman View Post
    I have a parking lot where you could leave a couple of cars for a week. No charge. Just reach out to me in late July if you still need it.
    Thanks a ton! You might find the tailgate of one of these trucks unlocked, and some Colorado beers inside. Keep an eye out for a message.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sunderland56 View Post
    Nobody rides up.
    My buddy and I rode and pushed up about 10 miles one winter until the snow got deep enough that we couldn't ride further. No one was coming down because it wasn't possible, but it's not something I care to repeat.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for ďI suck at brake control.Ē Hereís a free tip: get better."

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoos View Post

Thanks.
    I tried camping out by the Ledges campgrounds last September and hardly slept because it was so stifling hot, humid, and full of mosquitos (it's near a stream bed). I don't recommend staying there.

In hindsight the Warner Lake campground up in the La Sals might've been a better choice. It's on the Whole Enchilada route so maybe you could somehow tie that into your plans, like maybe ride down to town from camp early in the morning then catch an afternoon shuttle back up then ride Burro Pass to camp? Not sure if/how that would work but it's just an idea.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/mant...73218&actid=29

Formerly of Kent

Moab Trip Planner

Looking to do some relatively high country riding in Moab in September.

Based on a quick gander at some maps at REI, it looks like there are plenty of trails south of Tuk and Peale. Are they bike legal? Are they rideable? Are they fun?

Specifically Burlfields Trail and South Mountain Trail.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Looking to do some relatively high country riding in Moab in September.

Based on a quick gander at some maps at REI, it looks like there are plenty of trails south of Tuk and Peale. Are they bike legal? Are they rideable? Are they fun?

Specifically Burlfields Trail and South Mountain Trail.

We did a couple fun high country trails last September in the La Sals. Moonlight Meadows to Schumanís Gulch via the Ho Chi Min Connector/HAB was fun.

Also did South Mountain to Hellís Canyon via some State Forest Trust lands trails that were super cool.

If you get time, run over to Monticello and check out Robertsonís Pasture and Shay Ridge.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    We did a couple fun high country trails last September in the La Sals. Moonlight Meadows to Schumanís Gulch via the Ho Chi Min Connector/HAB was fun.

Also did South Mountain to Hellís Canyon via some State Forest Trust lands trails that were super cool.

If you get time, run over to Monticello and check out Robertsonís Pasture and Shay Ridge.

Iíve done a good bit of riding in the Abajos, actually. I liked what I rode. Just looking for stuff that would be similar to that but closer to Moab.

Would you say that the trails you listed are rideable in both directions? Hard to get an idea of things from the limited information on TF/MTBProject. Trying to ďbuildĒ fun loops.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Iíve done a good bit of riding in the Abajos, actually. I liked what I rode. Just looking for stuff that would be similar to that but closer to Moab.

Would you say that the trails you listed are rideable in both directions? Hard to get an idea of things from the limited information on TF/MTBProject. Trying to ďbuildĒ fun loops.

Yeah, both these routes we did required some long shuttles/car retrievals. But, except for Hellís Canyon most would have some pedalable loop options. Might involve some Geyser Pass or La Sal Pass road.

Last edited by KRob; 09-13-2018 at 06:06 PM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I'll be flying I to salt lake and renting a car to Moab. How does everyone get around with their bike rentals? I've heard the rental cars don't have hitches so a bike rack rental is out. Stuff it all in a mini van? We'll have 3 bikes.

mtbr member
    Poison Spider shop rents racks as well as bikes. I know they have hitch racks, but not sure about trunk types.
    I suggest giving them a call
    2016 Stumpy 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennythevamp View Post
    I'll be flying I to salt lake and renting a car to Moab. How does everyone get around with their bike rentals? I've heard the rental cars don't have hitches so a bike rack rental is out. Stuff it all in a mini van? We'll have 3 bikes.
    Do you plan to rent bikes in Moab? Do you plan to ride in the Salt Lake area first?
    If you plan to ride in the SLC area - Park City - rent for this area, then return the bikes and rent bike when you get to Moab. If you are just going to go to Moab and ride, rent bikes there. Inside a van would be fine, or rent a pick up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Do you plan to rent bikes in Moab? Do you plan to ride in the Salt Lake area first?
    If you plan to ride in the SLC area - Park City - rent for this area, then return the bikes and rent bike when you get to Moab. If you are just going to go to Moab and ride, rent bikes there. Inside a van would be fine, or rent a pick up.
    We're just going straight to Moab and renting from there. Heard good things about Poison Spider and Chili Pepper's. I'm just wondering how people get around with them. Can probably would be best since they're locked up.

trail gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennythevamp View Post
    Rent a pickup truck and put the bikes over the tailgate. You can rent a tailgate pad in town. Depending on which trailheads you are doing, you may want a vehicle with more ground clearance anyway.
    Mountain bikers are generally a rational bunch...until someone moves a rock on our favorite trail and we lose our minds - LMN

mtbr member
    I will be visiting Moab for the first time at the end of September. I am doing the Kokopelli trail trip with Rimtours starting 10/1 and will be out there for 3 days ahead of this trip. I am staying in Grand Junction.

What would be a good ride for me to do solo in Moab that would be maybe 15-20 miles, keeping the following in mind:

- Not too technical. I am not a great technical rider and I don't want to break any bones ahead of the Koko trip.

- Easy route to follow. I don't want to get lost in the desert by myself. I do plan on buying a map.

I don't mind doing some double track or even jeep roads. I am more into the scenery and the whole desert experience more than taking too many risks out there by myself.

Thanks!
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    I will be visiting Moab for the first time at the end of September. I am doing the Kokopelli trail trip with Rimtours starting 10/1 and will be out there for 3 days ahead of this trip. I am staying in Grand Junction.

What would be a good ride for me to do solo in Moab that would be maybe 15-20 miles, keeping the following in mind:

- Not too technical. I am not a great technical rider and I don't want to break any bones ahead of the Koko trip.

- Easy route to follow. I don't want to get lost in the desert by myself. I do plan on buying a map.

I don't mind doing some double track or even jeep roads. I am more into the scenery and the whole desert experience more than taking too many risks out there by myself.

Thanks!
    You could ride Slick Rock. It's a grunt, but not technical. It'll feel like 15+ miles even though it's less and you can't get lost.

Here's a list of Moab trails and descriptions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post

Thanks!
    So many options, but I would have two suggested rides.
    First, Navajo Rocks. Start at the Navajo Rocks East trailhead (at the "bottom" farthest east on the road) My suggestion is counter clockwise starting with Ramblin to Big Mesa to Big Lonely to Coney Island and Rocky Tops brings you back around to the trailhead. If you are just not feeling it when you hit Rocky Tops, you can bail across middle earth over to the road and roll back to the car that way.

Second suggestion would be to park at the "Arth's Parking" trailhead down in the Gemini Bridges area. From there you have options to head out in any direction on a cloverleaf type pattern on Arth's Corner, Great Escape, Getaway, Bull Run and do as many of those loops as you are up for until you're ready to be done. Getaway is the least technical of the trails, but even Arth's and Great Escape are not bad even though they are marked black.

Can't go wrong on either of these for ride fun and scenery and nothing super gnarly that you wouldn't see and walk if you weren't comfortable trying it.
    2016 Stumpy 29er

mtbr member
    If you're staying in Grand Junction, why wouldn't you ride Fruita or something closer?

If you want to ride Moab, all the mentioned trails are great. I really liked Navajo Rocks. Also there's a newish area that is relatively easy called Horsethief, at the top of Gemini Bridges (it connects to Navajo and the GB areas) - easy to park up there and ride some loops. Trail names are Whirlwhind, Mustang, etc. There's also the Intrepid Trail in Deadhorse Point State Park, which is 14 miles, not overly technical (blue and green, mostly green) and really nice (the "return" part is sort of boring, but the loops around the edges of the mesa are great). The disadvantage is you have to pay to get into the park, but there is a nice little museum in the visitor's center worth browsing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ilanarama View Post
    The disadvantage is you have to pay to get into the park, but there is a nice little museum in the visitor's center worth browsing.
    But if you just want to ride the Deadhorse trails you can park just outside the gate, ride your bike in and only pay $2 at the ranger's hut. Bunch of MTBers were doing this the last time I rode there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ilanarama View Post
    If you're staying in Grand Junction, why wouldn't you ride Fruita or something closer?
    I do plan on doing Fruita as well. But I am shipping my bike to Rimtours in Moab, so I have to go down there to pick it up anyway. It would be a shame to be in Moab and not do a ride. Thanks for all the suggestions. I am really looking forward to this trip after 3 months of heat and humidity in the Southeast.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    So many options, but I would have two suggested rides.
    First, Navajo Rocks. Start at the Navajo Rocks East trailhead (at the "bottom" farthest east on the road) My suggestion is counter clockwise starting with Ramblin to Big Mesa to Big Lonely to Coney Island and Rocky Tops brings you back around to the trailhead. If you are just not feeling it when you hit Rocky Tops, you can bail across middle earth over to the road and roll back to the car that way.

Second suggestion would be to park at the "Arth's Parking" trailhead down in the Gemini Bridges area. From there you have options to head out in any direction on a cloverleaf type pattern on Arth's Corner, Great Escape, Getaway, Bull Run and do as many of those loops as you are up for until you're ready to be done. Getaway is the least technical of the trails, but even Arth's and Great Escape are not bad even though they are marked black.

Can't go wrong on either of these for ride fun and scenery and nothing super gnarly that you wouldn't see and walk if you weren't comfortable trying it.
    Yeah, forgot about Navajo Rocks and Arth's corner. Those would be my first choices.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Looking to plan 1st trip to Moab with the wife next spring for a four day trip. I ll have one full day to ride. Would like to ride with wifefor a few hours on some cool green type trails then hitup a must do ride in the afternoon solo. I would say im a advanced intermediate rider. Dont really care for megaclimbs (im a clyde) and would prefer flow over tech but no problem with both if its worth it. Thinking a 20 or so mile loop/ride. Also better to fly into Grand Junction or Salt Lake? TIA - Matt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by M320 View Post
    Looking to plan 1st trip to Moab with the wife next spring for a four day trip. I ll have one full day to ride. Would like to ride with wifefor a few hours on some cool green type trails then hitup a must do ride in the afternoon solo. I would say im a advanced intermediate rider. Dont really care for megaclimbs (im a clyde) and would prefer flow over tech but no problem with both if its worth it. Thinking a 20 or so mile loop/ride. Also better to fly into Grand Junction or Salt Lake? TIA - Matt
    Sounds like Dead Horse Point State Park trails would be a good option for the ride together with your wife. You could then have her drop you off at the top trailhead to the Mag 7 trails and do those taking the bailout option over Gemini Bridges road out and over the saddle to have her meet you down at the parking area either at the bottom of Gemini Bridges area or she could go play on some easy trails at Brand trails until you make it down to meet her at that trail head parking (huge parking area).
    GJ is only 1.5 hours drive compared to a minimum 3.5 from SLC, but you may find much cheaper flights to SLC. Can't confirm that though.
    2016 Stumpy 29er

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Sounds like Dead Horse Point State Park trails would be a good option for the ride together with your wife. You could then have her drop you off at the top trailhead to the Mag 7 trails and do those taking the bailout option over Gemini Bridges road out and over the saddle to have her meet you down at the parking area either at the bottom of Gemini Bridges area or she could go play on some easy trails at Brand trails until you make it down to meet her at that trail head parking (huge parking area).
    GJ is only 1.5 hours drive compared to a minimum 3.5 from SLC, but you may find much cheaper flights to SLC. Can't confirm that though.
    Great info. Thanks so much.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    That was the perfect ride suggestion from billj121.

Fly into GJ if at all possible, or, look into the flights they now have direct from Denver to Moab. You never know, you might score a deal, United is flying into Moab now. I just looked and you can fly from Chicago O'Hare to Moab for $350 roundtrip with just a short stop in Denver. 4:45 total time. It would take way longer than that just to drive from SLC to Moab when you consider the hassle of picking up the car, etc.

Line up your accommodations far in advance, and get ready for sticker shock. The very cheapest hotels for March 2019 are already showing $250/night.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    That was the perfect ride suggestion from billj121.

Fly into GJ if at all possible, or, look into the flights they now have direct from Denver to Moab. You never know, you might score a deal, United is flying into Moab now. I just looked and you can fly from Chicago O'Hare to Moab for $350 roundtrip with just a short stop in Denver. 4:45 total time. It would take way longer than that just to drive from SLC to Moab when you consider the hassle of picking up the car, etc.

Line up your accommodations far in advance, and get ready for sticker shock. The very cheapest hotels for March 2019 are already showing $250/night.
    I did see they were flying in to Moab. Will have to see if I can find a flight from MD/PA area.

Yeah doesnít look cheap. Kinda figured this much. I was looking into June , but is there a better time In the spring I should consider ?

Do people rent cars / trucks to haul around rental bikes , or do shuttles go to the trails described above.

Also if I were to ride with wife in the morning then come back into town, have lunch and head out to say porcupine rim solo. Would that also make sense ?

Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I did see they were flying in to Moab. Will have to see if I can find a flight from MD/PA area.

Yeah doesnít look cheap. Kinda figured this much. I was looking into June , but is there a better time In the spring I should consider ?

Do people rent cars / trucks to haul around rental bikes , or do shuttles go to the trails described above.

Also if I were to ride with wife in the morning then come back into town, have lunch and head out to say porcupine rim solo. Would that also make sense ?

Thanks guys.
    Actually, June might be slightly less expensive than March-May.

I have always found that a surprisingly quiet time in Moab is the weekend before Memorial Day. A lot of people are just waiting for the holiday so they skip that weekend. Also, schools generally are still in session until Memorial Day. The weather is perfect in Moab then.

IMHO, you really don't want to go to Moab without a car. You can get shuttles to the top of Mag7/Gemini, but not to Dead Horse point as far as I know. You can get shuttles to Porcupine but they generally go in the morning. It is a long, boring climb to ride to the Porcupine trailheads. It can be done, but not fun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

I have always found that a surprisingly quiet time in Moab is the weekend before Memorial Day. A lot of people are just waiting for the holiday so they skip that weekend. Also, schools generally are still in session until Memorial Day. The weather is perfect in Moab then.

IMHO, you really don't want to go to Moab without a car. You can get shuttles to the top of Mag7/Gemini, but not to Dead Horse point as far as I know. You can get shuttles to Porcupine but they generally go in the morning. It is a long, boring climb to ride to the Porcupine trailheads. It can be done, but not fun.

mtbr member
    And with good reason as you would expect June temps to be regularly climbing well into the mid 90's and possibly higher if you're out on exposed trails and rock.

It may not be quite as brutal as some of July and August, but make no mistake about expecting real heat in June....
    2016 Stumpy 29er

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    And with good reason as you would expect June temps to be regularly climbing well into the mid 90's and possibly higher if you're out on exposed trails and rock.

It may not be quite as brutal as some of July and August, but make no mistake about expecting real heat in June....
    To be honest - unless I was doing a last-minute call, I'd avoid the desert ANY time after mid-May. It's like riding in an oven out there when it starts to push above 85F. Hell - I've been cooked on mid-day rides in April.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    To be honest - unless I was doing a last-minute call, I'd avoid the desert ANY time after mid-May. It's like riding in an oven out there when it starts to push above 85F. Hell - I've been cooked on mid-day rides in April.
    Good to know. I think Iím going to look into early / mid May.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    We're considering New Year's week for bike riding in Moab- any current and predicted conditions reports would be most appreciated!
    thanks!

mtbr member
    https://poisonspiderbicycles.com/moa...il-conditions/

You might want to call a couple of bike shops.
    The riding up the street (Grand Junction/Fruita) is pretty nice right now, just a little cold. This can all change with snow or rain in an hour though.

It would be a really interesting time of year to ride, I'd do it!

Desert Seeker
    Well, the desert riding is super right now and temps haven't been too unreasonable but of course things can change rather quickly. Keep an eye on Moab weather and either check back here or call one of the bike shops closer to your travel time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    There was snow on the ground from Rabbit Valley all the way to Moab itself last weekend, six inches on the ground up toward 313.

The snow hangs around in the shaded areas. If there is no more snow between now and New Year's you'll be OK on the lower trails, but you will encounter patches of ice in the deeply shaded areas.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    As mentioned, youíll have to monitor it daily and it could turn bad in 24 hours. We had a foot of snow last year on Christmas day and nothing after that. Thereís just really no way of knowing. Now if you have a fat bike.......you can ride year round.

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey4 View Post
    We're considering New Year's week for bike riding in Moab- any current and predicted conditions reports would be most appreciated!
    thanks!
    I will also be out there from Christmas to a few days after riding with my kids - twin 7 year olds (boy/girl and a 13 year old girl. I'll take them out on Slick Rock Trail, then, depending on how they do there, we'll be looking for other options. i know it may seem like a lot for 7 year olds, but they should be able to manage. If you see us say hello!

We'll likely stop by the local shops to get the best at the moment trail conditions.
    May the air be filled with tires!

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200 View Post
    I will also be out there from Christmas to a few days after riding with my kids - twin 7 year olds (boy/girl and a 13 year old girl. I'll take them out on Slick Rock Trail, then, depending on how they do there, we'll be looking for other options. i know it may seem like a lot for 7 year olds, but they should be able to manage. If you see us say hello!

We'll likely stop by the local shops to get the best at the moment trail conditions.
    Have you ridden Slick Rock? Itís not a trail for 7 year olds, or most visiting tourists for that matter. It can be remote and has difficult climbs the kids wonít enjoy walking. Most of our beginner level trails are going to be muddy, I would look at the Intrepid trail system at Dead Horse Point where youíll get nice hard sand or maybe the Horsethief area. My 15 yr old neice was just out here and enjoyed those areas.

mtbr member
    Yeah, if take the 7 year olds out to Slick Rock, don't expect them to make it more than the first 1/4 mile. Even the 13 year old will be having a lot of trouble on it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the feedback so far! It looks like a dry spell for awhile so we're hoping the trails clear up enough to ride well. Was surprised to see most of the the northern trails listed as "closed" on the Poison Spider conditions page, as we really want to get to Mag7 and Baby Steps areas since we've not ridden them yet. If anyone thinks this is a bad idea please chime in!
    Agree that the full Slickrock loop might be too much for young kids, but they would have a blast on the practice loop.

mtbr member
    I'd suggest some pads for them, even on the practice loop. A crash on that stuff is like riding a belt sander.

The first half of Mag 7 (top to Gemini Arch) might be a lot of fun for them. I saw a 10 year old riding stuff that was challenging some of the adults in my club group.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Many trails are snow covered and doing the freeze/thaw thing - make sure the the trail you plan on riding isn't going to be muddy. Tracks you leave now will still be there next summer.

Mag 7: for experienced adults, Bull Run is awesome. I'd very strongly recommend against taking kids on it, especially ones that young. A ride down Getaway would be more appropriate. (And have a shuttle car at the bottom and only ride downhill).

mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Intrepid Trails System for the win

I would start with the Intrepid Trail System - I first learned about it at this article https://www.offthebeatenpath.com/our...ly-playground/ Don't miss the Prickly Pear to Twisted Tree to Whip Tail - If you have time it is one epic loop. Bring water!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Heading down to Utah from Fernie BC on the 22nd. Plan was to hit Fruita first then Moab then maybe St George. Weather is looking a bit cooler than we anticipated. Where is the best place to camp in Moab right now? We have a 20' trailer. R-Pod.
    This is earlier than I usually go but my buddy is a teacher and has Spring Break to get away.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    I like to camp off Mineral Bottom Road (near Deadhorse Point State Park) but I don't know if you can get a trailer into the pull-offs (we have a 4wd van). The one I like is not very far down the road on the right - it's actually right on some of the newer trails. If it's too cold to want to camp that high, there's Potash Road.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hoping you guys can give me some pointers on a 4-day Moab ride itinerary. We have some trails we are treating as mandatory but I'm struggling to fill in second/afternoon rides each day. Thanks in advance for any advice! (Timeframe is earlyish May)

Day 1: **Hymasa->Ahab etc.
    Navajo Rocks Chaco Loop?

Day 2: **Porcupine Rim Shuttle
    **Slickrock

Day 3: **Mag 7 Shuttle
    Klonzo? Pipe Dream? Klondike Bluffs?

Day 4: **Porcupine Rim Shuttle

**pretty committed to hitting these trails on these days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chumps View Post
    Hoping you guys can give me some pointers on a 4-day Moab ride itinerary. We have some trails we are treating as mandatory but I'm struggling to fill in second/afternoon rides each day. Thanks in advance for any advice! (Timeframe is earlyish May)

Day 1: **Hymasa->Ahab etc.
    Navajo Rocks Chaco Loop?

Day 2: **Porcupine Rim Shuttle
    **Slickrock

Day 3: **Mag 7 Shuttle

Day 4: **Porcupine Rim Shuttle

**pretty committed to hitting these trails on these days
    First of all, have you been there before? Because you are taking a big bite doing these 4 days in a row and asking for secondary rides every day. As the quote goes, "that's bold talk for a one eyed fat man!".

If you like techy challenging climbs, I'd recommend climbing up Amasa Back/Cliffhanger (instead of Hymasa) then riding Ahab. Amasa Back was the original climb up, before Hymasa was put in....after the stream crossing. It's more interesting.
    Then one of the single loops on Navajo would be good. Or, you could do a second loop going up Hymasa.

Porc Rim + Slickrock seems reasonable.

Mag 7 should be enough, but Pipe Dream is short.

A second day of shuttling Porc Rim in one trip is unusual, but why not, I suppose. Early May this year probably won't get you up that high, though.
    You could make a day of the rides at Klondike Bluffs instead.

If you need an easier 10 miler to complete the day, Rodeo is good. If you want a harder 17 miler or so, you can make a nice figure 8 out of the rides at Navajo Rocks. I like Ramblin' to Rocky tops (from the middle parking lot) to Middle Earth to Big Mesa to Coney Island and back up Middle Earth to the parking lot, but there are other ways of skinning that cat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thank you for the tips! Will definitely do your Navajo Rocks route.

Have done Amasa Back before, was curious to try the new one--but like you said, maybe we'll do both.

Hopefully we'll be able to get to at least UPS but you never know with this weather. This is my third trip and honestly I could probably kick off every day with it and not get bored in a trip--it's a lot of fun and so different from my home riding.

Yes, we're biting off a lot, and we may take an afternoon off especially later in the trip but there's so much to ride the guys want to hit it all. Anything else I should consider in the rotation you think? I want to do WRIAD but the guys aren't up for it, and I think something like the Dead Horse Point trail could be awesome (some of these guys have never been out West or seen a canyon or anything.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Also, wanted to ask about Klonzo--I have written down here Borderline to Gravitron, Zoltar to Red Hot, Rollercoaster, and Topspin to Dunestone. Never heard of these before--worth including? Would try to work it in if possible--better or worse than Klondike Bluffs? Thanks!

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by chumps View Post
    Also, wanted to ask about Klonzo--I have written down here Borderline to Gravitron, Zoltar to Red Hot, Rollercoaster, and Topspin to Dunestone. Never heard of these before--worth including? Would try to work it in if possible--better or worse than Klondike Bluffs? Thanks!
    These are fun trails. I like the Gravitron, Red Hot, and Roller Coaster descents. This area is less technical than Klondike, closer to town, and it feels like there is less climbing. It has lots of loop options. We'll often do an evening ride out there after some bigger rides earlier in the day.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    These are fun trails. I like the Gravitron, Red Hot, and Roller Coaster descents. This area is less technical than Klondike, closer to town, and it feels like there is less climbing. It has lots of loop options. We'll often do an evening ride out there after some bigger rides earlier in the day.
    Awesome--good to know. I will try to sneak them in then. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Yeah, I though Gravitron was a hoot! I don't remember if I've ridden those others or not, but they would just add to Klonzo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Question ? How does everyone get around Moab? Uber , taxi , etc. looking to head out and maybe get a few drinks, not sure best mode of transport. TIA.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Question ? How does everyone get around Moab? Uber , taxi , etc. looking to head out and maybe get a few drinks, not sure best mode of transport. TIA.
    I've always rented a car/truck (in Grand Junction) and that's worked well.

slow
    Depends on where you are staying. We usually stay at one of the hotels right in downtown, so walking is our preferred method. The food and drink places are mostly within a few blocks, except Milt's.

mtbr member
    When I go alone, or with my wife, we stay across the street from the Moab Brewery. I like their ribs and I also just like the place. When I'm with a group, I stay at the Cottonwood condo's which are easy walking distance from the bars and restaurants on Main St. In both cases, I walk. But, I have a car, as I drive down from Salt Lake City.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Guess I should have included a little more info. My wife and I have rented a Jeep for a couple days and a Tacoma for the day we are biking. We are staying in a private house about 7 miles from downtown. Looking for night life / avoid DUI transportation recommendations.

slow
    Guess I should have included a little more info. My wife and I have rented a Jeep for a couple days and a Tacoma for the day we are biking. We are staying in a private house about 7 miles from downtown. Looking for night life / avoid DUI transportation recommendations.
    Don't know if Uber or Lyft serve the area, but there are a couple of taxi companies: Moab Taxi and Trail Taxi. There are several shuttle companies (Coyote Shuttle, Porcupine Shuttle, etc) that run bikes to trail heads. I don't know if they also offer taxi service.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Don't know if Uber or Lyft serve the area, but there are a couple of taxi companies: Moab Taxi and Trail Taxi. There are several shuttle companies (Coyote Shuttle, Porcupine Shuttle, etc) that run bikes to trail heads. I don't know if they also offer taxi service.
    Cool, Thanks. I will check them out.

mtbr member
    May 2019

Moab 4-5 Day Adventure Guide

We actually have a great 4-5 day Moab adventure trip itinerary! We summarized all of our favorite intermediate mountain bike trails, kayaking spots, favorite hikes and off-road drives in the nearby Parks (Arches NP, Canyonlands NP & Dead Horse SP) and best places to eat in Moab. It even includes a free camping guide with great options for camping/RVing. There is so much to do in Moab, but you can easily fit in these top picks in 4-5 days! Feel free to write back with any questions you may have!

Cheers!
    Julie

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.