Moab Trip Planner - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    just curious if anyone has any insight on how quickly kings bottom actually fills up? I usually camp in BLM land up by sovereign, but have always wanted to try kings area (since i enjoy amasa back so much)

rpalmer
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 123ski View Post
    just curious if anyone has any insight on how quickly kings bottom actually fills up? I usually camp in BLM land up by sovereign, but have always wanted to try kings area (since i enjoy amasa back so much)
    I've arrived there during peak season weekends and found vacant sites. I have seen it full from time to time, and my fall-back is the Potash road sites. Between the two I have never been let down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thursday night was a zoo, everything on Kane creek was full until the ledge loop B. We stayed there and Friday morning were able to catch someone leaving hunter canyon and got their site. We got lucky, however, everything in the cane creek, sand flats, and some other areas were full all weekend. We had a number of people try and set up tents on our site in the middle of the night while we were sleeping and there was also a group that arrived at 3 am and hiked up near the arch in hunter canyon to poach a site. They were really loud and didn't seem to mind the fact that they woke up the whole campground.

mtbr member
    Do any Moab bike shops have day or night storage for bicycles..for days where you might not be biking?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Im planning on going on a biking trip to moab some time in the next month and was wondering if anyone one could tell me if the upper part of the whole enchilada (the burro pass section) is ride-able yet. I've rode the porcupine rim sections and want to ride the whole thing this time, but don't want to be riding in a ton of mud. so if anyone knows i would appreciate the help. thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    This passed weekend it was only running below the hazard trail. Apparently burro pass had opened already but the most recent snowstorm closed it back down. My guess is it should be rideable shortly bc it's already in the upper 80s in town. You can call any of the shuttle companies and they will tell you how far up is rideable as well. Id also recommend riding early bc there isn't much shade on that or most of the other trails!

mtbr member
    Were planning a west coast motorcycle/mountain bike trip and will be spending a day mountain biking in Moab. Well be driving a rented 25 class C RV with an enclosed 6x12 trailer. Im real nervous about finding places to parking it.

2 questions

1. Can anyone recommend a camp site near Moab suitable for our rig? Our wives will prefer serenity over keg-stands, so staying "a little down the road" is ok.

2. Havent decided on the trail yet, but do the major trail heads support parking an RV & trailer?

Thanks
    Bob

pedlr
    No problem parking a rig that size at any trailhead that I can think of off the top of my head. You'll be fine.
    Same with camping, you'll have no problem.

mtbr member
    thanks Moabman - look forward to riding in your neck of the woods.

mtbr member
    Moab cyclery claims burro pass is closed for the season, does this mean off, off limits, or ride at your own risk? I know we probably can't get a commercial shuttle up there, but we'd like to ride it, even if there's an inch or two of snow on it. anyone been up there in the last week? should we just start at hazard county?

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    I rode it on Saturday. Geyser Pass road up near the top had some packed snow, and the steep switchbacks coming down Burro had some snow and mud. I would think as long as there hasn't been another storm, it would only be in better shape now.

This is at Geyser Pass on Saturday, hero dirt in the sun, snow in the shade:
    Moab Trip Planner-img_20141004_120836842small.jpg

pedlr
    coyote shuttle just told me she is running to hazard now, and will decide by tmorrow about the possibility of burro or not. worth a try.

mtbr member
    Great thread - coming to Moab with the some buddies for the first time 10/17 - 10/19. Plan is to do the Whole Enchlada on Saturday 10/18. Hope it is open all the way up to Burro pass! Anyone know the temps up there? Coming from Phoenix where we don't own jackets! haha Was thinking a light jacket and a back up rain jacket would do the job.

pedlr
    burro is 11200 ft. i think.

the weather station nearby at gold basin 10050 feet recorded 55 F high yesterday.

the station on geyser pass road which is at the same altitude as Werner Lake recorded 59 F.

Here's the link you can check for when you get here. Maybe somebody has a link for a station higher up.

MESOWEST STATION INTERFACE
    MESOWEST STATION INTERFACE

There's a handy 2 week summary tab on the left.

There can be a chill wind a blowin up on the pass that makes it seem colder

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    You might need more than a light jacket up there, it can get pretty cold especially early morning. Being from PHX (so am I), it might feel even colder to you. And the weather can change in an instant.

The last two years I've had Moab trips in mid-Oct and never got dropped off higher than Koko. If there are no new storms in the next couple weeks, you might be ok but any precipitation in the area will likely fall as snow up top.

mtbr member
    Thanks Guy's, looking forward to the trip

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    How's the weather been up on Burro this week? I'm seriously considering a shotgun trip this weekend from Denver.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Sounds like there is already snow in places. Anyone have first hand experience riding up there in December? Flying to Albuquerque for Thanksgiving - and was thinking of taking the next week off to head up and ride MOAB for the first time. Living back East - these opportunities are few a far between. Not sure I can handle another year looking at everyone's pictures - But if all the best trails are already snowed over I might think of another place in that area.

Paste eater
    December and January are the coldest. It CAN be warm but it can also be snow covered with zero riding. I would not bank on being able to ride and certainly would not extend a vacation.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the advice guy's, we were able to do the whole enchilada from Burro Pass, such a awesome ride! We also did slick rock, it was a lot harder than expected, we rode from the hotel, so the street climb was a little brutal.

Awesome trails !

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The Whole Enchilada is primo right now! It was a bit chilly once you got out of the shuttle vans, i didn't bring a jacket or wind breaker and didn't regret it. Once i started peddling it felt great. I'm hoping to get back down there at least one more time before it's done for the season.

Moab Trip Planner-img_6887.jpg
    Moab Trip Planner-img_6884.jpg

SS in CO
    thoughts on riding over New Years? my wife and I are sans-kiddo for the week and we wanted to make it count. will be driving the Jeep out on Thursday and riding 1 day and Jeeping 1 day, then back home on Saturday.

how much snow is there right now?

J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

Desert Seeker
    Well, right now there is no snow at lower elevations but we had some precipitation recently and there is snow in the mountains. The desert riding will be great as long as we avoid cold/snow at the lower elevations. Precipitation on the 25th in the forecast right now but it is always spotty and hard to predict here.

pedlr

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Hello everybody,
    What would be the best season for a trip to Moab ? Early april or late september ?
    I plan such a trip for 2015 (It will be my 50th anniversary birthday present !!! ...), and I'd like to stay 5 days riding.
    What would be the best trails for me (I'm looking for singletracks and about 3000ft maximum climb per day and maybe 30 miles) ?
    I live in France and I will bring my bike. I understand the best is to come from Salt Lake airport ?
    Do you have any hotels/restaurant adress in moab ?
    Thanks and Merry Christmas...

FRED

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by legued View Post
    Hello everybody,
    What would be the best season for a trip to Moab ? Early april or late september ?
    I plan such a trip for 2015 (It will be my 50th anniversary birthday present !!! ...), and I'd like to stay 5 days riding.
    What would be the best trails for me (I'm looking for singletracks and about 3000ft maximum climb per day and maybe 30 miles) ?
    I live in France and I will bring my bike. I understand the best is to come from Salt Lake airport ?
    Do you have any hotels/restaurant adress in moab ?

FRED
    If you want to get the Whole Enchilada in fall is the best time to go. Would target late September as there likely won't be any snow storms yet. Weather tends to be a bit better overall in the fall. At least less chance of wind and spring storms moving through.

For trails:
    Whole Enchilada
    Mag 7
    Amasa trail system
    Klondike trail system
    Bar M
    Slick Rock

This would keep you plenty busy for 5 days.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by legued View Post
    Hello everybody,
    What would be the best season for a trip to Moab ? Early april or late september ? Either is good, crowds are probably less in the fall
    What would be the best trails for me (I'm looking for singletracks and about 3000ft maximum climb per day and maybe 30 miles) ? Pretty most everything near to town falls into that catagory
    I live in France and I will bring my bike. I understand the best is to come from Salt Lake airport ? Denver works well also. You might also want to look into renting, it may be cheaper than hauling your bike from France. Moab tends to be rough on equipment, wreck someone's bike other than yours
    Do you have any hotels/restaurant adress in moab ? I would also look into renting a house, you can Google house rentals in moab as well as hotels, there are plenty of options

FRED
    See comments in the quoted text

-E

mtbr member
    Salut Fred,
    I'm French too, I live in Denver, Colorado. I go to Moab every year in mid- to late October and so far it's been great (I camp so weather affects my trip more than just the riding aspect). April is great too, but there's still snow on the higher elevations (towards the La Sal mountains), which means that the more alpine terrain will be unrideable (like the top portion of the Whole Enchilada). Driving from Denver takes about 6 hours, for 5hrs 45 mins on Interstate 70, then make a left at the gas station. I don't know how long it takes from SLC (probably less), but depending on your flight it might be easier to fly into Denver.
    In my experience, singletrack riding is not the best feature of Moab, obviously the slickrock is. Vertically speaking, there are no very long uphill rides but what the trails lack in sustained climbing they make up for in steepness and technical difficulty. In other words you'll be glad you don't have to climb the type of terrain Moab dishes for more than 20 minutes or so (generally speaking of course). A climb like the Moab Rim is crazy steep but doesn't last very long.
    As mentioned by EricD4, Moab is very hard on bikes (and bodies) - on my last trip I broke a pedal and a computer :-(. Renting would be a good option. Dual suspension is a must.

For hotels, book early, whichever month you decide to visit. I've seen the "No vacancy" sign on every hotel in town in October (peak season). There are lots of motels around town, I don't have any particular recommendations though (again, I camp...).

For food, Eddie Mc Stiff's is an institution. It's not particularly great food, but the atmosphere is fun. There's many restaurants in town, serving Mexican, burgers, pub food, etc. There's a cool espresso/ice cream shop on Main Street (Moab Coffee Roasters I think) that is great to treat yourself to before (coffee - beware though, the coffee is served " l'amricaine" in a big cup) or after (ice cream) a hard ride.
    +

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thank you all.
    So, what would be the best season to ride The Whole Enchilada, without snow and with relatively cool temperatures ?

FRED

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by eurochien View Post
    I don't know how long it takes from SLC (probably less), but depending on your flight it might be easier to fly into Denver.
    Drive time from SLC to Moab is about 3.5 hours.
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    Headed to Moab March 23-29th from Bend, Oregon. Woot!

I have been looking for a map to buy online - but would like to know what the locals are using or what map is best...

trails I have scoped so far are:

day 1. porcupine rim (4 hours), lunch and then slickrock (2 hours)
    day 2. Mag 7 (4 hours). lunch and then pipedream and maybe something else
    day 3. Hymasa up, captain ahab down (2+ hours), lunch then rockstacker, jacksons, pothole arch
    day 4. Sovereign and saltwash, lunch, deadmans ridge/ bar M
    day 5. Possible trip to fruita if needed.

I pulled most of this from MTBproject which i think is missing a LOT.

I am headed there with a buddy. We like technical terrain, rocks etc. I am guessing some of my schedule may be a little too much to tackle each day. Don't know! Need to get in great shape before we head over.

What am i missing?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    That looks like an awesome trip.

For the map, just go in to one of the local bike shops, and they sell a really nice plastic map with all of the trails on it. I bought my last one at Poison Spider, which I just lost, so I guess I'll be buying another one next time. I think they're $10 or so.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post

I have been looking for a map to buy online - but would like to know what the locals are using or what map is best...

day 3. Hymasa up, captain ahab down (2+ hours), lunch then rockstacker, jacksons, pothole arch

I am headed there with a buddy. We like technical terrain, rocks etc. I am guessing some of my schedule may be a little too much to tackle each day. Don't know! Need to get in great shape before we head over.

What am i missing?

Thanks!
    I would recommend Rider Mel's guide to Moab. You can get it locally in Moab and online. It is small enough to carry in a camelback during rides. Gives good intel on the riding in Moab. Be sure to get the latest version with I think is #4 or #5, there have been several new trails in the past couple of years that the older versions do not talk about.

-E

mtbr member
    Thanks dude. Book ordered, 5th addition.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks dude. Book ordered, 5th addition.
    Glad to help, enjoy your trip, try not to bleed too much!

-E

mtbr member
    Body armor on order

Thin Man on a Fat bike

Take these too....q

Rider Mel's book is good for rough trail navigating but I think he was smokin something when he drew his maps, not very detailed and that's kinda a necessity in the desert where landmarks are not always plentiful.
    I would suggest getting the national geographic Moab North/ South maps. You'll need both to cover the local riding area. They are not as current as Mel's latest edition but they have enough of the older trails that you should be able to find the new ones.

Have a hospital free trip 😊

mtbr member

What am i missing?

Thanks!
    Porc Rim and Slickrock on the same day you are a glutton for punishment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    Rider Mel's book is good for rough trail navigating but I think he was smokin something when he drew his maps, not very detailed and that's kinda a necessity in the desert where landmarks are not always plentiful.
    I would suggest getting the national geographic Moab North/ South maps. You'll need both to cover the local riding area. They are not as current as Mel's latest edition but they have enough of the older trails that you should be able to find the new ones.

Have a hospital free trip 😊
    Thanks man. My friend who is coming with me just bought both those maps - so we should be pretty set i would hope. I will probably hit a local bike shop as well when i get there.

Is poison spider the best shop for giving advice and such?

We will also need a shuttle or 2 potentially,

thanks!

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Any of the bike shops can give you good trail advice and the shuttle services will know the trail conditions. Poison Spider and Rim cyclery have their own shuttles and there are several private ones. Higher trails will still have snow in March but upper Porcupine will be open I'd guess. All trails are open now if you have a fat bike 😊
    I'm thinking your itinerary is a little optimistic , I'd start with the Hymasa/ Ahab route and get used to the terrain and altitude, you will notice a difference from Oregon, maybe Im wrong, I know Bend is considered high desert......

mtbr member
    Any of the bike shops can give you good trail advice and the shuttle services will know the trail conditions. Poison Spider and Rim cyclery have their own shuttles and there are several private ones. Higher trails will still have snow in March but upper Porcupine will be open I'd guess. All trails are open now if you have a fat bike 😊
    I'm thinking your itinerary is a little optimistic , I'd start with the Hymasa/ Ahab route and get used to the terrain and altitude, you will notice a difference from Oregon, maybe Im wrong, I know Bend is considered high desert......
    Thanks. Yeah i agree it's probably too optimistic. I think the key will be getting in really good shape before going over. Just want to make the most of each day. Might be better to spread it out little more and bad fruita. Is fruita even worth it?

Bend is at around 4k, so Moab should feel right at home. Dry, sandy, rocky, light air

mtbr member
    One of my riding buddies and I both have long weekends from Jan 30 - Feb 1, and are thinking about making the trip from the front range to Moab. I don't mind riding in the cold, but is there generally enough dry trail to make it worth the trip at this time of year?

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79 View Post
    One of my riding buddies and I both have long weekends from Jan 30 - Feb 1, and are thinking about making the trip from the front range to Moab. I don't mind riding in the cold, but is there generally enough dry trail to make it worth the trip at this time of year?
    There's some snow on trails below 6000 feet that aren't getting sun during the day, above that there's a good bit of snow at the moment, below that the trails are generally dry. They will either be dry or snowy, our rainy season ended in August.
    So, in simple answer, there are tons of trails to ride and the only thing to deal with is the colder temps, that you say you don't mind.......so start planning your trip

mtbr member
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    is porcupine rim is out of the question right now due to snow?

Thin Man on a Fat bike

What snow?

I haven't been around to that side of the mountain, there was about 6" of snow at the base of Geyser Rd. about three weeks ago but it's been sunny and warm since . From town it looks like most everything below the loop road is clear so I think riding from Kokopelli down is clear or at least rideable .

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I haven't been around to that side of the mountain, there was about 6" of snow at the base of Geyser Rd. about three weeks ago but it's been sunny and warm since . From town it looks like most everything below the loop road is clear so I think riding from Kokopelli down is clear or at least rideable .
    fantastic news - thank you!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If porcupine rim is rideable what shuttle company has the best odds of running this early in the year? Looking to be in town this weekend 2-7/2-8

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    it heavily rained this past weekend. I didn't ride it, so I don't know what porc will look like this coming weekend, but it all looked nasty after the rain so we stayed on slickrock. Also saw it looked like most (if not all) shuttle companies closed their shuttle service for the winter. I gave up looking for a shuttle due to the rain though, so there may be one out there. Moab Cyclery and Poison Spider was a no-go...

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Quote Originally Posted by S Dub View Post
    If porcupine rim is rideable what shuttle company has the best odds of running this early in the year? Looking to be in town this weekend 2-7/2-8

Thanks!
    I saw the Poison Spider shuttle and Rim out and about in December, but......a lot of businesses take extended vacations or cut back services this time of year. Try calling Chili Pepper bikes (435-259-4688) they are open and I think they use third party shuttle services so they might have an idea whose running.

mtbr member
    March 24th we were kicking around doing Koko/UPS/LPS/Porc Rim. I think I've got that right.... (starting at La Sal Loop Road)

I know anything can happen, even though it's been a dry year. But is it generally dry that high in late March?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Heading to Moab the weekend of March 21-22nd. We plan on tent camping so primitive is fine. How hard will it be to find an open site at blm campgrounds will it be if we show up Friday afternoon? Also any campground recommendations? No showers, etc are fine. Thanks!

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    March 24th we were kicking around doing Koko/UPS/LPS/Porc Rim. I think I've got that right.... (starting at La Sal Loop Road)

I know anything can happen, even though it's been a dry year. But is it generally dry that high in late March?
    Not generally no.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by slickrockross View Post
    Heading to Moab the weekend of March 21-22nd. We plan on tent camping so primitive is fine. How hard will it be to find an open site at blm campgrounds will it be if we show up Friday afternoon? Also any campground recommendations? No showers, etc are fine. Thanks!
    Sort of the start of the season do depends on weather really. You'll find something - just depends on how far out you'll need to go. Kane Creek, potash and 128 for BLM camping. You'll find spots that range from 10 min to an hour from town.

Another option is out Dalton Wells. Plenty of dispersed camping and you'll be close to the Klonzo Network of trails if that's your bag.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Not generally no.
    Thanks Justin. If you had to guess, what's the highest that's generally possible in late March?

Paste eater
    Last year I think the shuttles were running to the top of LPS. We pedaled up to UPS. It was a wet year but spring came fast and was dry.

The year before that it was about the same.

And the year before that LPS was as high as We could ride.

At least that's how I remember it and what my pictures seem to reflect. The real problem is Koko is a total disaster with even a little moisture.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Last year I think the shuttles were running to the top of LPS. We pedaled up to UPS. It was a wet year but spring came fast and was dry.

The year before that it was about the same.

And the year before that LPS was as high as We could ride.

At least that's how I remember it and what my pictures seem to reflect. The real problem is Koko is a total disaster with even a little moisture.
    Thanks, guess we'll look at other options.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Everything below the loop road is dry already except for patches of snow in shaded areas. Unless we get some significant snowfall, which is possible this weekend apparently, I would guess March would be dry. I think you're safe planning for Koko down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by slickrockross View Post
    Someone from Moab might know more but Park Creek campground is the one I booked for March. Free showers and only $20 a night. Also if anyone in your group is military you can get the first 3 days free. So for my 4 nights it cost me 23$ total.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hi, I was considering a mtb trip to Moab next weekend (Feb 27-Mar 1), but it looks like there's been some snow recently, and snow/rain is in the forecast for Feb 28. How are the trails looking? Is there a website/forum where people post current trail conditions for Moab?

I don't mind riding in the wet/snowy/cold, but if there's enough snow accumulation that things are getting unrideable, I'd probably reschedule. I'm hoping to ride Capt Ahab and similar stuff, but plan to adapt based on conditions.

Thanks for the help!

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    I was just there yesterday and today, and trails were dry. We didn't do any of the higher elevation rides, but Amasa Back and Poison Spider were in perfect shape. We left as the storm was rolling in, but if the accumulation was low, the trails should still be good.

mtbr member
    How much snow happened around the Moab area with this last weather system? I'm coming to ride March 13-17. Any info on whether recent snow may affect rides in about 2 1/2 weeks? Did Porcupine Rim get snowed in?

I'm in charge of planning the trip so I'm starting to keep an eye on weather and trail conditions.

Thanks for any assistance!

Perpetual n00b

Moab Trip Planner

Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    How much snow happened around the Moab area with this last weather system? I'm coming to ride March 13-17. Any info on whether recent snow may affect rides in about 2 1/2 weeks? Did Porcupine Rim get snowed in?

I'm in charge of planning the trip so I'm starting to keep an eye on weather and trail conditions.

http://www.alltravelcams.com/moab_ut...in_the_sky.php
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post

Most of the snow is melted off already, still residual above say 6000 feet but we are supposed to get several more systems over the next week. I think you will be fine planning for any ride below the loop road, may still have snow in the shadows but nothing unrideable.

mtbr member
    Nice! Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Any trail condition updates durning this weekend would be great. Slick rock ? Amasa ? Lps?

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Quote Originally Posted by ratmfreak99 View Post
    Any trail condition updates durning this weekend would be great. Slick rock ? Amasa ? Lps?
    They were all clear today. UPS has snow but is rideable, that being said, we have snow forecast for the morning

mtbr member
    How the Thaw as events go? Gonna be out there next weekend and realized that was going on.

Desert Seeker
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    How the Thaw as events go? Gonna be out there next weekend and realized that was going on.
    Its a good time. Check it out if you can. The schedule of events is here: Event Schedule For The Moab Thaw Bike Event In Moab, UT

Resident Gear Head
    I'll be in Moab the 20th-22nd. My research shows that the whole enchilada will probably not be doable in its entirety. Sounds like shuttles will probably only drop off at UPS? Sound accurate?
    Any advice on a fun and fairly short trail to ride on our last day of the trip before the drive home?
    Last edited by provin1327; 03-03-2015 at 07:26 AM.
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

mtbr member
    Didn't see a trail conditions sticky........ Coming over this weekend from GJ. Wanted to hit Navajo and maybe Klondike Saturday, then Hymasa/Ahab Sunday am. Any concerns with any of those trail conditions?

Desert Seeker
    Should be a great weekend and excellent conditions (was just on Ahab yesterday). Poison Spider Spring Thaw event Saturday/Sunday at the Brands trails. There is also a running/biking race event at N Klondike on Saturday.

mtbr member
    I'm assuming even if the event is at North Klondkie it may be best to stay away from the regular Klondike stuff as well?

Desert Seeker
    I'm assuming even if the event is at North Klondkie it may be best to stay away from the regular Klondike stuff as well?
    I'm not entirely clear on the route. Here is an article: Racers to converge on duathlon, trail run - Moab Sun News: Get Out & Go
    I would think that the regular jeep route and hike out to the Bluffs would be fine, but I'm not sure what single-track routes will be affected.

mtbr member
    Found the route:
    Moab Trip Planner-duathlon-spring-run-course-map-2015.jpg

mtbr member
    Well, due to an RV fire closing 191 Saturday AM just past Klondike North, we ended up heading there despite the race going on. We parked in the far North lot and went up Homer/Alaska, and then went over and headed down Baby Steps North. We must have been late enough in the AM for most of the race to be done, because we didn't pass a single racer.

Checked out Rocky Tops and Ramblin' at Navajo in the afternoon and even did a quick lap on LazyEZ in the evening after the Thaw event closed down. Then had Hymasa/Ahab all to ourselves Sunday AM.

Look forward to checking out Big Mesa, Big Lonely and Coney Island at Navajo. Pretty fun stuff. Not to mention need to ride the rest of Klondike and Klonzo.... Thanks for sharing, you guys are getting a ton of trails built!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Navajo Rocks is flowing

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YOGhMxZjO...0/PA220007.JPG

Glad you covered so much terrain!
    Get your ride on!
    Come meet in Moab.
    Mix Business with Pleasure.
    Moab Meetings & Events Aid

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Coming out to Moab May 22d for a few days. I don't know a thing about the trails. Could someone just give me a list of good intermediate trails I could ride, preferrably close to town. I can look them up if I have a list. Not too keen on anything with a LOT of exposure, you know, I'm old. Thanks.

Desert Seeker
    Close to town you have the Slickrock Trail and the Amasa Back area. Trails at Amasa Back are pretty advanced with the exception of the Hymasa singletrack. Pipe Dream is close and is probably considered tough, intermediate. Probably worth your while to head up to North Klondike which has a large network of singletrack trails or the newish Navajo Rocks trails. The Moab Brands trails should be thrown in there as well. Here is a link for detailed descriptions: Moab Mountain Biking Trails - Moab mountain bike trail information and maps. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the information.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Does anyone know how high the commercial companies are shuttling TWE? Coming to Moab April 5th and want to start forming our itinerary. TIA

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Google Chile Pepper bikes, Poison Spider bikes and Coyote Shuttle, those are the three main shuttles so that should give you an idea. I'm guessing they are going to the top of UPS/ Kokopelli at the loop Rd.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    shuttles are presently going to bottom of koko (ups down). koko down might be happening by the 5th, it's been pretty warm and things are drying out quick up high. hazard is still covered in snow.

Desert Seeker
    As of yesterday (3/29), shuttles were going up to Kokopelli.

Warrior of Weekends
    Hey all, not sure if this is the right thread but I will be riding solo in Moab 4/17 & 4/18 (and maybe 4/19) and am looking for someone to ride with.

I've never been, but was considering the typical must-do's, probably Slickrock on 4/17 and Porcupine Rim 4/18.

I will be doing some OR (White Rim trail) with a buddy in the days prior, and he is going to shuttle me to Porcupine on 4/18 if anyone wants a ride.

Open to other trails as well (Amasa Back, Bartlett Wash, Ahab, etc)

I'll be coming from the Front Range. PM me if you want to ride!
    2015 Yeti SB5c

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hi folks, I'm wondering if the new Jimmy Keen section is open now (between Hazard County and UPS, as an alternate to the Kokopelli section) ?

pedlr
    yep, open.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by russinthecascades View Post
    Does anyone know how high the commercial companies are shuttling TWE? Coming to Moab April 5th and want to start forming our itinerary. TIA
    I'm pretty sure that the shuttle companies start TWE on June 1. But, if you call, you can confirm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I have a reservation set for April 2nd. You will want to give Bryan with Porcupine Shuttle a call. He can be reached at 435-260-0896 and will set up the reservation time.
    Rocky Mountain 13 Instinct
    Rocky Mountain 13 Solo
    Pugsly 12
    Trek XO Cross 11

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Heading to Grand Jct at the end of next week where my 13 YO son just bought a bike and then on to Moab for the week with him and my wife. From the sounds of it the winter has been pretty dry so everything we are looking for should be open. Can't wait!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uberstein View Post
    Hi folks, I'm wondering if the new Jimmy Keen section is open now (between Hazard County and UPS, as an alternate to the Kokopelli section) ?
    It's open, but signage and trailwork is not quite complete.
    It's easy to miss the bottom section of singletrack and turn right on 2 track to connect with Koko just above UPS instead of connecting with the final section of Jimmy Keen.

Jimmy Keen is XC pedally with a fair amount of very easy/casual uphill. It takes you to some great vistas. It is not in the same spirit/speed as Hazard and Koko.

I'll be skipping Jimmy Keen as part of Burro/Hazard/TWE. Why kill all the speed of Hazard and Koko?

Koko is way faster and I think far more fun with opportunity for lots of cheap air.

However, Jimmy Keen makes for a good loop when just combined with Hazard or UPS. Use Koko and Sand flats as the connector if you want to pedal a loop when temps down below are too hot.

mtbr member
    planning a visit may 22nd and 23rd if any other rides going down. My wife knows my tendencies and "suggested" I better not be out flying reckless through the desert alone.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hi ctchopper!

I'm coming to Moab on May 10 for a few days.
    I Booked at Rim tours for Porcupine, but up untill now it seems that I'm the only rider for that ride.

Can I book Brians Porcupine Shuttle and ride this trail along with other riders?

Thx, Mo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Any word on how the conditions in Moab have fared over the past couple of days? We are in Fruita today and were planning to hang here for a couple of days before heading to Moab but might mixup our plans if the riding is better in UT over the next couple of days.

Desert Seeker
    Moab received a soaking rain yesterday. It is misty and cloudy this morning. Supposed to clear up later and Sunday looks sunny. Best riding areas right now would be Slickrock, Pipe Dream, the Amasa Back area and I guess Mag 7. There will be standing water and wet sand of course. Definitely avoid the Klondike area with its clay. Some of the Brands Trails are subject to rutting. The new Navajo Rocks would probably be good. Porc double track would be good but I'd give the singletrack a day to dry out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hello. I'm going to participate in the Moab Enduro Cup at Klondike Bluffs on 9 May. Any guidance on the best place to camp nearby? Ive looked at the map and it looks like the Devils Backbone campsite would be quite a ways from the event from a driving perspective. Any advice is appreciated.

mtbr member
    I'm going to be in Moab next week for 3 1/2 days and wanted to see what you guys think of this for a ride plan.

Day 1: HyMasa/Capt Ahab
    Day 2: Whole Enchilada (not sure how high up we will be able to start this time of year)
    Day 3: Mag 7 to Portal
    Day 4: ?? We will only have the first half of the day to ride, any ideas? Did slick rock last year, and Klondike, both great rides but looking for something new.

Desert Seeker
    If you are winding down, Navajo Rocks is a good area. Basically, two loops to choose from - do one or both. If you are feeling like something more aggressive, you could do Hymasa/Jeep Road to Roackstacker/Jacksons or skip Jacksons and do Ahab again. A third option would be to go out to Bartlett Wash and play around on the slickrock.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions, I wasn't aware of Navajo Rocks. Bartlett Wash looks like a nice way to end the trip as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    See the maps for Moab's trails on Moab Mountain Biking Trails - Moab mountain bike trail information and maps.. You will find Navajo Rocks there and the most up to date for the Klondikes and KLONZO. print and bring along or buy each network of trails from a moab bike shop for $2-$3. That money goes to the Moab Trail Mix, the group building our trails. New trails in Gemini too, but discovermoab doesn't have those up yet, waiting for the Trail Mix to provide trail descriptions for Wildcat, Mustang and Hildago. in Dead Horse Point another loop of trail opened November 2014 too.
    Get your ride on!
    Come meet in Moab.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'll be out to ride kokopelli next week. I'm having a difficult time finding a spot to drop my car in Moab though. If anyone has a space then I'll gladly provide beer. Also, I'll pay gas and beer for anyone that can give me a ride from Moab to Fruita on Friday morning.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    You might also try the Moab Classifieds on Facebook > https://www.facebook.com/groups/moabclassifieds/, or add a PSA to KZMU - Moab Community Radio 90.1 FM and 106.7 FM - Home Page too. Good Luck!
    Get your ride on!
    Come meet in Moab.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hi there,
    I am planning a trip to Moab for the week of 9/26-10/4. My riding level is intermediate/advanced. This thread has been very helpful to get a really good idea of what the place and riding looks like. I just found out that the Outerbike festival is happening on my second weekend so I will consider it.
    I will be driving from Baja, Mex taking two driving days each way from my week, leaving riding from Sunday afternoon to Friday maybe Saturday. I would prefer to camp.
    So far what I have is:
    Camp at Sand Flats and ride Slick Rock (one day) and the Whole Enchilada (one day).

This would be my first time there so any info and recommendations will be very appreciated on what trails not to miss, camping or lodging options, etc.
    Thanks before hand.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Whole Enchilada is tough. If you ride tough, check out amasa Moab Mountain Biking Trails - Moab mountain bike trail information and maps. and camp BLM Campgrounds surrounding Moab, Utah Kane Creek. However, my favorite is Highway 313, Cowboy Camp for tents, otherwise Horsethief Campground, which puts you in place to ride the Intrepid Trails in Dead Horse Point State Park, Everything in the Gemini Bridges area (so much single track! Horsethief Is new now) and close to the Navajo Rocks.
    Get your ride on!
    Come meet in Moab.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    one thing I don't think is mentioned is that you have to understand that "trail ratings" are like ski trail difficulty, they are local to the area. And Moab trails are an order of magnitude more difficult than many folks from out of the area are expecting.

I did TWE on Sunday, and it was not an easy ride by any means. I personally didn't care for Porcupine Rim Double Track, but you have to endure that to get the single track reward at the end.

The views are amazing, but I think there is better riding elsewhere in Moab, but that's my opinion. Amasa Back is top drawer though, no question.

mtbr member
    I went to Moab fot the first time last October, In my opinion TWE is a must do, but I dont think I would do slickrock again. They have a 2-3 mile test loop if you just want to check it out. After a couple of miles it is all the same petrifed dunes. I would hit up what some of the other suggested. Amasa back, captain ahab etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ecaos View Post
    Hi there,
    I am planning a trip to Moab for the week of 9/26-10/4. My riding level is intermediate/advanced. This thread has been very helpful to get a really good idea of what the place and riding looks like. I just found out that the Outerbike festival is happening on my second weekend so I will consider it.
    I will be driving from Baja, Mex taking two driving days each way from my week, leaving riding from Sunday afternoon to Friday maybe Saturday. I would prefer to camp.
    So far what I have is:
    Camp at Sand Flats and ride Slick Rock (one day) and the Whole Enchilada (one day).

This would be my first time there so any info and recommendations will be very appreciated on what trails not to miss, camping or lodging options, etc.
    Thanks before hand.

mtbr member
    I go to Moab every October and camp at Sands Flat. Bring your own water and be prepared to do trips for ice and firewood. Hopefully you won't have to deal with noisy neighbors (my experience has been hit or miss). I always ride the Slickrock trail (it's right down the road after all) and Porcupine Rim (as a loop from/to Sands Flat with a last little stinger of a paved climb at the end to get back to the camp site). Amasa Back is a fantastic trail, Poison Spider is kind of a one and done ride (too much sand), and the Portal trail is an experience you'll never forget whether you ride some or none of it (it is extremely dangerous and actually strongly discouraged by the BLM to ride some sections). Moab Rim is a grunt but pretty rewarding once you're on the Mesa.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thank you all for your valuable input, I'm taking notes.
    Hopefully I'll find other bikers in Moab to go ride with and have a couple of post-ride beers.
    Last edited by ecaos; 08-26-2015 at 01:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Anyone know how my wife and I can get a shuttle to Hazard Sept 16 in the AM rather than Burro Pass?

mtbr member
    Pretty sure you won't have an option... The shuttles take you as far up on TWE as they can. You might be able to pay extra to have them drop you somewhere else, or maybe you could find a local willing to help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Pretty sure you won't have an option... The shuttles take you as far up on TWE as they can. You might be able to pay extra to have them drop you somewhere else, or maybe you could find a local willing to help.
    Any idea on how to find a local to help?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    How do people get help if injured bad enough on TWE that they can't ride out? SPOT?

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    The shuttles do not only go up Geyser Rd. for the TWE shuttle, there are a variety of rides throughout the area that they will drive you on. Just call one of the shuttle companies and I'm sure they will accommodate you. Hazard is past the Geyser Rd. turnoff so you might have to endure a longer shuttle ride if they are taking others into the mountains but that would be the worst of it. They have a minimum number of riders to justify a trip so you will probably have to share.
    There is sporadic reception at best in the mountains. Don't count on a cell phone for rescue. SPOT would be more reliable. Mainly bring water, lots! I have heard from several people how they have had to offer up their water because people are bailing off the trail dehydrated , that said, things are cooling down a bit now.
    If you haven't ridden out here before you might try some stuff closer to town to get used to the trail conditions, altitude and temps.

Have a good trip

mtbr member
    Is Moonlight Meadows the main shuttle drop off point if you plan to do Burro?

Village Dirtbag
    My GF and I will be showing up around midnight Friday night. Any hopes of finding a spot at sand flat? If not, where do you recommend? I don't mind unimproved, but somewhere I can meet other riders is preferred.

Nat
    mtbr member
    How far out does one need to book a shuttle for TWE this time of year? Plan on riding it 9/14/15.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    How far out does one need to book a shuttle for TWE this time of year? Plan on riding it 9/14/15.
    Just call up any of the shuttles and reserve a spot.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    It's been a few years since my last fall visit (i.e. when Burro is an option), but all the major shuttle companies offered both. Those drop-offs are on different roads and the Hazard shuttle is considerably shorter than Burro. And starting from Hazard is plenty for a lot of riders.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    I called both Coyote and Whole Ench. yesterday. Both still had spots for Sat the 12th. Can't imagine a monday is going to be super busy.

Village Dirtbag
    No camping suggestions?

Also, I'm on a Tallboy LT with XT clip less pedals. I have some platform pedals that I've never used. No protective gear except an XC helmet. Should I just leave my normal pedals on and walk the drops, or do you recommend platforms and some running shoes or chuck Taylor's. How many people clip in on whole enchilada and Slickrock trails?

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Just call up any of the shuttles and reserve a spot.
    I called both Coyote and Whole Ench. yesterday. Both still had spots for Sat the 12th. Can't imagine a monday is going to be super busy.
    I called Whole Enchilada a couple of weeks ago and then again this morning but got their voicemail and I haven't heard back from them yet. I'll give them a couple more days then will call someone else if I haven't heard back. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by @dam View Post
    No camping suggestions?

Also, I'm on a Tallboy LT with XT clip less pedals. I have some platform pedals that I've never used. No protective gear except an XC helmet. Should I just leave my normal pedals on and walk the drops, or do you recommend platforms and some running shoes or chuck Taylor's. How many people clip in on whole enchilada and Slickrock trails?
    Ride what you ride, I don't recommend changing pedals of you are comfortable in clippless. I live in Arkansas and ride the same pedals as you. I rode the whole enchilada on them and it was great.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by @dam View Post
    Disclaimer: I'm not from UT and am just a tourist on this forum but I've ridden in Moab dozens of times.

I'd use the pedals and shoes you're used to (unless they're plastic-soled road shoes). I wouldn't want to be learning how to use platforms on a trip like this.

beater
    ^agreed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpwsafety View Post
    Anyone know how my wife and I can get a shuttle to Hazard Sept 16 in the AM rather than Burro Pass?
    You could talk to the shuttle driver/company to see if they could drop you at hazard on the way back down after dropping everyone else off up at Burro pass.

mtbr member
    Where is the shuttle dropoff for Burro? Moonlight Meadows?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Porcupine Shuttle out of poison spider is running direct to Hazard sept. 16 at 8:30am per request. Apparently others had interest in that as well.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Are the aspens up in the La Sals turning yet?

mtbr member
    Planning to do TWE Saturday. Planning to bring the usual stuff: chain link, hanger, tools, tube(s), pump & co2, tire boot, lots of water, map, etc....

How long does it take to ride into town from the end of Porc? Considering leaving our vehicle there and riding into town to start in the am instead of when it's hot and we're tired later. We'd need to be to Rim Cyclery before 7:30.

Any additional advice is welcome. Doesn't look like rain is in the forecast, but bring long sleeves for the high country?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Planning to do TWE Saturday. Planning to bring the usual stuff: chain link, hanger, tools, tube(s), pump & co2, tire boot, lots of water, map, etc....

How long does it take to ride into town from the end of Porc? Considering leaving our vehicle there and riding into town to start in the am instead of when it's hot and we're tired later. We'd need to be to Rim Cyclery before 7:30.

Any additional advice is welcome. Doesn't look like rain is in the forecast, but bring long sleeves for the high country?
    If it were me, I would give myself around 1/2 hour or more to get to town from the end of the trail. You can also park at Lions Park, which makes for a good central drop off location.

I rode the Whole Enchilada last Friday and the temperature was perfect. The sky was overcast so the sun wasn't beating down on me. At Burro Pass the temperature was still pretty close to Moab so I didn't need to layer at all. However, the temps seem cooler since then so I'd still double check.

When I first drove into Moab the sky was threatening rain and while driving up to Burro Pass rain was falling on the shuttle windshield and you could see puddles from a previous rainstorm. Luckily that was all the rain I saw, but every time I have gone before that I have been rained on, so plan accordingly.

Even though I had a mechanical I am still trying to figure how soon I can get back to ride the trail. The Burro descent and the last section by the river are the type of trails you dream about.

In response to the other question, if the leaves were changing colors it wasn't that noticeable.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice. We ended up not dropping a truck at the end of Porc despite having plenty of time to do so...... For some reason nobody liked my idea. Oh well, 2 guys rode back and got the truck, the other two of us hung out in the shade and waited. I think it was 98 or so when we finished at 2PM?

Great trail. Favorites were definitely Burro & UPS/LPS. Man, that thing beats you up on the last half (Porc down) my hands & arms etc were feeling it for sure! Been a few years since I rode Porc..... you forget how rocky that is over time I think.

No mechanicals, just a leaky Camelbak that had 1 guy out of water by the time we summited Burro! But we had enough between the rest of us to get him down.

FYI, Aspens aren't really turning yet. Maybe a few here and there but hard to notice when concentrating on the trail anyway.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I'm in Moab right now. We rode TWE yesterday and it was epic (not hipster-epic but genuinely epic). We got a little cold drizzle to start the day and ended with hot and muggy. We also ran across a mama bear with two cubs on the climb up Burro pass. Somehow we ended up in between one cub and mama, so it was a little sketchy. Seven riders grouped up and passed through banking on safety in numbers. The aspens are starting to turn. I think in about two weeks they'll be at their most golden. Awesome ride!

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    I am moving from Texas to Idaho next week, and the route I am taking will take me through Moab on Wednesday the 11th. Since it will be Veterans Day and I am a Navy veteran, would someone in the area be nice enough to possibly give me an afternoon tour of Slickrock? I will pay your way into the park!
    We don't ride to add days to our life, we ride to add life to the days we have left here.

Desert Seeker
    I'd probably be up for showing you around the Slickrock Trail if the timing works out. Shoot me a PM.

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Quote Originally Posted by glesoine View Post
    I'd probably be up for showing you around the Slickrock Trail if the timing works out. Shoot me a PM.
    I apologize, I ended up leaving a few days too late and rolled through there on Friday. I do appreciate it though.
    We don't ride to add days to our life, we ride to add life to the days we have left here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hey guys! My buddy and I are thinking about heading over to Moab for a day or two for the Thanksgiving weekend. Was curious about which trails were open / trail conditions. Would love to get some recommendations for a ~25 mile ride. Would be open to shuttle (if they are still running). Thanks!

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Several of the bike shops are closing for the holiday, The independent shuttles like Coyote may be operating but you'd have to give them a call. TWE is closed till the snow melts , UPS down will have snow on the upper part and North facing slopes. I would plan on riding areas such as Klondike or Mag 7 where you can weave your own loops. 25 miles is doable at either or the Navajo Rocks loop is about 17 miles and you could combine it with something else in that area.
    Enjoy, weather looks to be great

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Update on the trail conditions down there? How are Amasa and Mag 7 specifically?

Desert Seeker
    Amasa and Mag 7 are dry and good to go. Actually, that would go for other trail systems as well with the exception of the La Sals. Not sure how high up before you'd hit mud/snow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Amasa and Mag 7 are dry and good to go. Actually, that would go for other trail systems as well with the exception of the La Sals. Not sure how high up before you'd hit mud/snow.
    Thanks buddy! would love to hit TWE but figured up top had snow. LPS and Porc rim still good to go I assume?

mtbr member
    Thanks... Was hoping to hit Mag 7 Sunday possibly.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hi there, thanks all of you for the advise given. Here is a quick trip report on my vacation:
    After asking and looking for info about which trails to ride on our first trip to Moab, I decided to just get there and play it by ear, see what other riders where doing and what they recommended, which worked pretty well. For this, I think her name is Nancy, a blond girl from Chilli Pepper bikes, was pretty helpful and spot on on the trail beta. On 9/26, we crossed the border and started our drive at Calexico, Ca., we split the drive in two, camping at the Grand Canyon on our way north. Arrived to Moab at night the next day and set up camp for the whole week at Sand Flats. The only thing set was that we rode Slick Rock on our first day. There we found quite an international variety of riders: Switzerland, Canada, Peru and us from Mexico. We bumped into some of those riders in other trails later in the week. The second day we did Amasa and Captain Ahab, a little bit over our skill level, we just had to get off of our bikes at some spots and continue riding. On Wednesday we rode at the Ramblin and Big Mesa area. On Thursday we got on the Coyote shuttle to Burro Pass for the TWE and on Friday we went to the Moab Brands area, the Outerbike was going on that day there.
    We set off south on Saturday morning, stopped to camp at Sedona. It was a pretty awesome trip, great riding, awesome rider atmosphere and pretty chill town. Definitely would come back for more.

Keep on Rockin...

Grand Junction to Moab. Best way?

What is the best way to get to Moab from Grand Junction? Is there a bus or some type of shuttle? Cost?

Coming to Moab this April/May.

Will be flying from the NE to Grand Junction as I assume that's the best route.

I'll stay about a week, but don't want to rent a vehicle as others I know will be there. Will need to get back to GJ at the end of the week.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I don't know of a shuttle bus from GJ to Moab there could be a commercial one though. When you get to Moab and GJ for that matter you will need transportation to get to the trails. The trails are out aways sometimes 15 miles from town so figure that in.

Thin Man on a Fat bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Guide to mountain biking Moab

Guide to mountain biking Moab via Park City Mountain Biking
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moab Trip Planner-moab-mag-7.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Two oldish guys going to Moab in couple weeks. Never been before. I suck at google. Could someone just give me the best intermediate trails in the area for about a day and half of riding. Thanks in advance.

Desert Seeker
    Klondike area, Navajo Rocks and The Moab Brands Trails are three solid choices. Another option to consider is a shuttle ride to the top of Mag 7 and bike out the bottom of Gemini Bridges Rd for an intermediate, pedal-ly downhill day (well, half day). Pick up cheap maps at Chile Pepper Bikes. Proceeds support local trail building.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Our family is taking a trip to finally see all the great sites in we can in Utah in a short amount of time.

Being an avid mountain biker at 48 years old Im hoping to get in some time on the bike but not take away too much time from the family site seeing wed like to do.

Im hoping to bike in the morning or afternoon/evening either before we go out somewhere together or after we have done our site seeing. In addition my son (not as experienced mountain biking but 18 years old and in good shape) would like to bike once or twice with me on easier trails.

Our plan is this:
    Day 1 - Drive to Moab (arrive late afternoon)
    Day 2 - Stay another day in Moab
    Day 3 - Drive to Bryce Canyon for the day
    Day 4 - Drive to Zion for the day
    Day 5 - Drive home

Never being to these areas I will definitely do some research on trails, sites, etc. but was hoping someone here could give me some suggestions both for trails to do in a short amount of time and (if possible) matching time activities for the rest of the family to do while Im gone.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I like to ride Big Chief at Dead Horse pt. state park when there are mixed abilities and you want great scenery. Some of the easiest trails in the area. Again, very scenic ride.

mtbr member
    Here are my suggestions for you:

Ride slickrock practice loop. Good PM ride and honestly, the practice loop gives you full feel for the whole slickrock trail, it's just less mileage. I would suggest counter clockwise. Family not riding can walk out on the area leading to the trail and practice loop and have fun there too for a little bit while you ride.

AM or PM ride, I would suggest Navajo Rocks trail system. It's scenic, fun, has some challenges but nothing too crazy, and again, family could do a little hiking on the same trail(s) and enjoy it if needed, or they are only a few miles from Dead Horse Point park area so you could be dropped off and they could continue on and pick you up on the way back.
    My suggestion here would be to start at the trailhead nearest where Ramblin meets Big Mesa. Ride Big Mesa, Big Lonely and Coney Island. Where Rocky Tops starts you can assess your energy and decide if you take the bailout back to the road or continue for the next two trails to loop back to where you started. These trails are tons of fun!

No brainer here, you have people to shuttle you to the top of Thunder Mountain. Fun, flowy downhill with amazing scenery. Most ridden and liked trail near Bryce, and won't take too much time from family.

Lots of options in both Hurricane very near Zion and St George just a short drive away.
    Many love the classic desert feel of the JEM trail system, and if you would have someone to shuttle you to the top, (not that it's truly needed here, but save you some time and get some good flow in), suggest starting up with a loop around more cowbell, down dead ringer to Crypto and JEM proper where you could meet your family. For a little more distance but a little more techincal and climbing as well, you could ride the Hurricane wash area to end at the parking near the hill out of Hurricane.

Day 5 - Drive home
    2016 Stumpy 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by billj121 View Post
    Here are my suggestions for you:

Ride slickrock practice loop. Good PM ride and honestly, the practice loop gives you full feel for the whole slickrock trail, it's just less mileage. I would suggest counter clockwise. Family not riding can walk out on the area leading to the trail and practice loop and have fun there too for a little bit while you ride.

AM or PM ride, I would suggest Navajo Rocks trail system. It's scenic, fun, has some challenges but nothing too crazy, and again, family could do a little hiking on the same trail(s) and enjoy it if needed, or they are only a few miles from Dead Horse Point park area so you could be dropped off and they could continue on and pick you up on the way back.
    My suggestion here would be to start at the trailhead nearest where Ramblin meets Big Mesa. Ride Big Mesa, Big Lonely and Coney Island. Where Rocky Tops starts you can assess your energy and decide if you take the bailout back to the road or continue for the next two trails to loop back to where you started. These trails are tons of fun!

No brainer here, you have people to shuttle you to the top of Thunder Mountain. Fun, flowy downhill with amazing scenery. Most ridden and liked trail near Bryce, and won't take too much time from family.

Lots of options in both Hurricane very near Zion and St George just a short drive away.
    Many love the classic desert feel of the JEM trail system, and if you would have someone to shuttle you to the top, (not that it's truly needed here, but save you some time and get some good flow in), suggest starting up with a loop around more cowbell, down dead ringer to Crypto and JEM proper where you could meet your family. For a little more distance but a little more techincal and climbing as well, you could ride the Hurricane wash area to end at the parking near the hill out of Hurricane.

Day 5 - Drive home
    Thank you very much - that is all VERY helpful information. Looking forward to getting out there and riding something other than Colorado Front Range trails.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Any trail updates for the area...?

We are hoping to come down for Memorial day...would love to ride TWE and Captain Ahab...nothing else on the bucket list really - anything we should add, do instead?

6" enduro bike riding is what we are looking for...

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I was there on Wed/Thurs this past week.

For ME, Amasa Back is one of the best areas to ride in Moab. To do this, make sure you have enough energy to climb another 500', simply continue up Amasa Back then exit via Jackson's, it's rowdy and the vistas are unreal. You will also almost never come across anyone else, which is NOT the case like the way in with all the Razors and 4x4s.

Just know that the Jackson's exit is often sketchy (not dangerous, just risk of getting very wet).

At the bottom of Jackson's there is a creek, when the water is low (Dry season), you'll be able to cross on a makeshift branch bridge. But on Thursday the water completely covered that, and we BARELY got out. There is a 4" wide shelf you have to shimmy across, holding the bike in your left hand and carefully balancing and hugging the wall. But I made it, even with my love handles and gut, so skinny folks should have an easier go of it. :-P

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    TWE still not open, mucho Snow. Hazard down is probably doable. Call a shuttle company to make sure. Everything else is good, just really crowded😳

mtbr member
    How are the bugs in Moab right now? Heading to the White Rim tomorrow.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Shouldn't be a problem at that altitude and dryer environment, worse the closer to the river you get. We camped in the Cedar Mesa area ( Butler Wash) last weekend and I got over 50 bites in ten minutes setting up camp until I could spray myself 😳
    Take repellent and you should be fine.

Formerly of Kent
    Heading down to Moab from Fort Collins on Friday morning. Planning on doing some dispersed camping on BLM or USFS land.

If anyone has any suggestions on general areas that might offer good views, some trees to break up the wind, etc, that would be great. We'd be fine with parking and riding in to any proposed sites.

Otherwise we'll take a look at the many BLM camgrounds on UT313 or 128.

http://www.blm.gov/style/medialib/bl...dsMoabArea.pdf
    Death from Below.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Heading down to Moab from Fort Collins on Friday morning. Planning on doing some dispersed camping on BLM or USFS land.

If anyone has any suggestions on general areas that might offer good views, some trees to break up the wind, etc, that would be great. We'd be fine with parking and riding in to any proposed sites.

Good question.

Returned from a week in Moab - it was the best trail riding and the high desert was so cool I want to plan a trip back out, but to camp instead of staying at a hotel.

While my Moab camping research is in its infancy camping at Canyonlands looks good as the views are amazing, and there would be close access to Mag 7. You'd be out in the open however.

Keep on Rockin...
    For the poster riding Memorial Day, How many days of riding?

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post

If you get here early enough you may be able yo get a spot in close to town. The campgrounds along the river are usually full by Thursday night. Every year this gets worse. There are some nice BLM camping spots out Willow Springs Rd. North of town and they are near the Klonzo trails. There are nice sites out HWY 313 about ten miles at Horsethief Mesa but even these were packed Monday afternoon when I drove by. If you bypass the camgrounds and further out there is dispersed camping.
    Looks to be a windy weekend though and the mesa will get more than the Willow Springs area.

Good luck on your trip

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    For the poster riding Memorial Day, How many days of riding?
    3 days riding.

mtbr member
    Just got back yesterday, for anyone curious there are some gnats but they're not bad. A few bites around my hairline, that's all. Probably the howling wind kept them from landing on me...

mtbr member
    I was camping off 313 and doing our riding up in that area as well all last week. Guess I was lucky, no bites, just LOTS of wind.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Good question.

While my Moab camping research is in its infancy camping at Canyonlands looks good as the views are amazing, and there would be close access to Mag 7. You'd be out in the open however.
    FYI, the only camping in Canyonlands NP Island In The Sky section near Mag 7 is on the White Rim Trail, and those sites are booked far, far in advance. There are BLM campgrounds off of Hwy 313 on the way to the Island In The Sky visitor center and on Dubinky Well road that forks off from 313. If you are not in an official campground, you must have a porta-potti or other approved waste container. No digging holes. Dispersed camping is only allowed north of 313 in that area.

You can also try Dead Horse Point State Park, which has 21 campsites, but they are generally reserved in advance, and are RV sites so might not be all that great for tenting.

On a holiday weekend, if you aren't slotted in by Thursday night, you are going to have a very tough time finding a spot.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    FYI, the only camping in Canyonlands NP Island In The Sky section near Mag 7 is on the White Rim Trail, and those sites are booked far, far in advance. There are BLM campgrounds off of Hwy 313 on the way to the Island In The Sky visitor center and on Dubinky Well road that forks off from 313. If you are not in an official campground, you must have a porta-potti or other approved waste container. No digging holes. Dispersed camping is only allowed north of 313 in that area.

You can also try Dead Horse Point State Park, which has 21 campsites, but they are generally reserved in advance, and are RV sites so might not be all that great for tenting.

On a holiday weekend, if you aren't slotted in by Thursday night, you are going to have a very tough time finding a spot.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Hey guys, first post here. Located in Park City. Pumped to put in some days this summer.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Heading down to Moab in September and the group wants to ride TWE. I was contemplating this for a few years just nervous about the Porcupine Rim part of it - I am intermediate level rider and figure can walk the parts that are hairy but my concern is will I find myself walking more than riding? Watched several videos of it and read up on the trails - seems the 2 hardest parts from reading are Burro Pass and Porc Rim but if I can ride the 401 in Crested Butte, would that be much different than Burro?
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    Heading down to Moab in September and the group wants to ride TWE. I was contemplating this for a few years just nervous about the Porcupine Rim part of it - I am intermediate level rider and figure can walk the parts that are hairy but my concern is will I find myself walking more than riding? Watched several videos of it and read up on the trails - seems the 2 hardest parts from reading are Burro Pass and Porc Rim but if I can ride the 401 in Crested Butte, would that be much different than Burro?
    FWIW - we are also intermediate riders and did TWE in the spring, so Kokopelli down. On Porc Rim we rode the vast majority of it. There are some techie spots that were beyond our skill range, but had a blast anyway. Note: I'm use to exposure, so didn't notice it too much. My wife who was behind me most of the way said she was nervous and walked a few short sections...

mtbr member
    I would classify myself as an intermediate rider and did TWE from UPS down (or add I call it, the partial enchilada). There was only two spots on Porcupine Rim that I didn't try because of my skill level or exposure. Of the 18 miles we rode, there were really just a couple of spots where I ejected to walk (though plenty I didn't quite clean). One of the best trails I have ridden, partially because I felt like I was able to choose lines that matches and pushed my abilities. I felt like a better rider when I got to the bottom of the trail.

The other trail I would rate as a must do is captain ahab. One of the best techy flow trails I have ever been on.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    It's just a flesh wound!

mtbr member
    Watched several videos of it and read up on the trails - seems the 2 hardest parts from reading are Burro Pass and Porc Rim but if I can ride the 401 in Crested Butte, would that be much different than Burro?
    Have been waiting for someone who has ridden the 401 to chime in as I have not. Fruita/GJ, Monarch Crest and some Salida trails, yes, but not Crested Butte (yet.....)

So, with that said, and to add to the earlier replies, after riding TWE a couple times and UPS down a few times more, I would absolutely say that the upper section from Burro Pass down to where you begin climbing back up to Warner campground and Hazard is the most demanding, more so than Porcupine single-track (with the exception of one or two short features.)
    As an intermediate, you could ride it, but plan on taking your time and likely walking a few spots through that area. Most of that is very ride able by an intermediate, but there are rooty and rocky drop sections as well as some very steep and tight switchbacks at the top.
    2016 Stumpy 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by billj121 View Post
    Have been waiting for someone who has ridden the 401 to chime in as I have not.
    The 401 trail is really easy. The only danger on it is what you create for yourself with speed. There is one part that a lot of people will dismount for because you will peel your skin off if you do not clear the obstacle, but the rest is all really rideable for lower intermediates unless you have a fear of heights. You aren't really on a steep edge, but you get the impression that you are on a lot of the trail. Still fun as hell and I am a blasphemer and think it is a lot better than Dr. Park.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Yeah the 401 is a real easy trail - if I didn't have to dismount anywhere on that trail it is definitely easy LOL. It is up there a bit - I remember going up Gothic Rd towards Schofield Pass looking up and see the small specks that were riders on the 401 riding along and like whoa I am going to be way up there! LOL. It was great fun and going to hit it again this year.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Going down to moab middle of september. We were there in april and rode Klondike bluff, deadhorse, moab brands, navajo rocks. Thinking of doing the shuttle for gemini bridges and have seen different descriptions of the best routes. My buddy and I are intermediate riders, don't need to have the crap scared out of us by big exposure but would enjoy some scenery as well. Need an honest opinion of the best route down to the highway. Don't plan on doing the last part including portal. Want to come out at moab brands where we will catch the shuttle. Thanks.

Desert Seeker
    You can take Getaway down to Great Escape or you can take Getaway until you see signs for Bull Run and take Bull Run for a more rugged/technical option, but also very scenic. Either way, continue on Great Escape to Little Canyon and go right. Before taking the Gold Bar climb, look for signs to exit to Highway 191. You will take Gemini Bridges Road for 5 miles to the highway and entrance to the Brands trails. Pick up a map of the system at any bike shop - proceeds support trail building efforts.

mtbr member
    If you were comfortable with Navajo Rocks but don't want much harder than that, I'd say Getaway to Arth's Corner and then part of Little Canyon and then switch to the jeep road that exits past Gooney Bird Rock and will take you to the highway, as glesoine suggests. Bull Run's exposure and difficulty scared the crap out of me (I was trail running at the time and thought no way would I do it on a bike), and I thought Great Escape was a little hard, too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Don't do Gemini, but what the above posts have said. Start is same as Gemini but go down Mag-7 trails too bottom of cyn. Then take the jeep road past goony Bird and out to Hwy. If you did Navajo rocks then Bull run is fine, maybe 1 or 2 walk spots but not that much exposer. Really we take intermediate riders this way a lot.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    I don't think you'll have any problem with Bull Run all the way down Start at hwy 313, ride down Getaway 1.5 miles and cut over to Bull Run, ride that to Great Escape, follow that to the bottom, stay right at the Luttle Canyon intersection and ride to the gully. I would strongly suggest you do an out and back on the Gold Bar climb as it is on slickrock and the downhill makes the uphill worthwhile. Once back in the gully just brave the sand and follow Gemini Bridges rd.out to the Brand trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Hey guys, the gf and I are headed to Moab for the first time next weekend. We plan on riding TWE sometime towards the end of the first week of September. Most of the shuttles don't drop you off at the trailhead until around 9AM, which feels really late for us. We'd prefer to start our ride around 6-7AM. Has anyone gone up to the trailhead the night before and camped out to get a super early start the next day?

The plan is to camp the night before, ride TWE into town, stay in a hotel, and grab the shuttle the next morning to retrieve our car.

mtbr member
    I'm no expert as I've always done the standard shuttle but I think your plan is great. Just remember to stash some clean clothes in town...and don't accidentally leave your money & credit cards in your car at the top.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    We're not the fastest riders so the couple extra hours earlier would hopefully save us from having to ride too long in the midday heat! We're going to be leaving most of our stuff at the hotel the day before so we won't be storing any valuables in the car.

Regarding water... is Warner Lake the last point where we could collect water? We will have some CLO2 tablets to purify the water.

how heavy are you ??
    Is Willow Springs still a open camping. I haven't been in 6ish years.

Sent from the UnderWorld via Nexus 6P 😜
    What does Marsellus Wallace look like, A BIT*H? :)

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottay5150 View Post

Sent from the UnderWorld via Nexus 6P 
    Yes, but it fills up very fast. An early arrival is best.

how heavy are you ??

Thanks, any improvements like toilets?

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Thanks, any improvements like toilets?

Nope, it's BYOT and please do. The crowding out there is already leading to a shabby area. I pick up trash every time I go out riding that way. 😬

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Nope, it's BYOT and please do. The crowding out there is already leading to a shabby area. I pick up trash every time I go out riding that way. 
    I camped out at the Willow Springs area for the first time last weekend (99% certain I was pretty close to this "Willow Springs Trail three rocks" location on google: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wi...4d-109.6745396), and there was definitely a permanent pit toilet there (much to my surprise). Nothing else along the main Willow Springs road though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Any recent info on trail conditions? Heading out this weekend, and hoping to get as high as possible up Enchilada, and do some rides with the family too. Thanks for any info - BS

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Clear, cooling and snow melted off. Looks good through the weekend.

how heavy are you ??
    Odd question. Any place to charge electronics in Moab where they won't walk?

how heavy are you ??
    Clear, cooling and snow melted off. Looks good through the weekend.
    WhooHoo!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Just got back from first Moab trip. What a fantastic playground. Hiking, biking, canyoneering......

I was curious about the Goblin Valley/San Rafael Swell area. Very beautiful, but I don't see much biking there. (mostly double track....Temple Mount and Black Dragon Canyon).
    The area seems ripe for some MTB single track.

Is there more there?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    check out the "Little Grand Canyon" ride
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by windsurf2xs View Post
    Just got back from first Moab trip. What a fantastic playground. Hiking, biking, canyoneering......

I was curious about the Goblin Valley/San Rafael Swell area. Very beautiful, but I don't see much biking there. (mostly double track....Temple Mount and Black Dragon Canyon).

Is there more there?
    Here's a little info on mountain biking there.

Mountain Biking | Utah State Parks

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    thanks for the map of Goblin....Its on the list for next trip.

Couldn't find anything about "little grand canyon".....is that up by Dead Horse Point?
    (I checked MTBR trails in Utah near Green River, and MTB project)

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    thanks for the map of Goblin....Its on the list for next trip.

Couldn't find anything about "little grand canyon".....is that up by Dead Horse Point?
    (I checked MTBR trails in Utah near Green River, and MTB project)
    no, it's in the Swell area. try UtahMountainBiking.com

look under "the Wedge" in the San Rafael. there's plenty more in the same area
    breezy shade

pedlr
    Do you mean Good Water Rim trail? Ive ridden this, enjoyed it.
    Good Water Rim Trail

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by moabman View Post
    Do you mean Good Water Rim trail? Ive ridden this, enjoyed it.
    Good Water Rim Trail
    yes, the single track "inside" the Wedge route. thanks
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Is there more there?
    Just rode the Wildhorse trail system at Goblin Valley a week ago. Mostly easy trails but great scenery! A very well laid out system of loops. Highly recommend.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Checking in for trail conditions..

Understand all the La Sal/high elevation stuff is snowed in, but are the lower trails rideable (mag 7, Amasa/Ahab, Navajo Rocks.)

Looking to head down Jan 26-29th but will also consider heading to St. G, Vegas and/or Sedona. That's probably more driving than I'd like though so Moab is my first choice!

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Everything you mentioned is rideable with a little residual snow, that could certainly change by the end of the month, I think we have snow forecast next week. I wouldn't ride anything lower like Klondike or Klonzo as they are wet and trail damage would ensue. The upper trails have nice solid sand.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.