Moab trip help please, are my friends morons?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    24

    Moab trip help please, are my friends morons?

    Hi, a couple friends want to take a mtb/hike trip to Moab the first week of March. With it still being winter and all it sounded like a bad plan, they assure me everything should be fine. Any locals have some insight? Thanks!!!!

  2. #2
    Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Reputation: SAM313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    311
    We donít usually advise on what the weather will be like because the only time we get peace in town is when people think itís uninhabitable

    Youíll be fine in March though.

    Maine is the only state you canít ride in in March kidding, my wifeís from there and sheís the butt of constant teasing.

  3. #3
    Yeti SB95c
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,374
    The issues with March are that you probably can't shuttle higher than LPS on The Whole Enchilada and wind. Also more likely to get rain, snow, and hail. Bike festivals in the region start at the end of March (Hurricane) and into April (Outerbike) and May (Fruita) because the weather becomes more stable later.

    Fruita used to be around the first of April but too many weather problems.

    If you have enough time to sit out bad weather you should get some great riding. Cold at night if you are camping.

    I've rode there in early March but decided to wait a few more weeks in the future. Now I start at the Hurricane MTB festival and warm up on Gooseberry Mesa.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: russya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    208
    If you want the full experience then, no donít come in March. A lot is rideable but the upper elevation parts of whole enchilada is under many feet of snow.

    But if you wanted to do a trip where you ski/snowboard in northern Utah and then go down to Moab and ride. March would be ideal.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Reputation: SAM313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    The issues with March are that you probably can't shuttle higher than LPS on The Whole Enchilada and wind. Also more likely to get rain, snow, and hail. Bike festivals in the region start at the end of March (Hurricane) and into April (Outerbike) and May (Fruita) because the weather becomes more stable later.

    Fruita used to be around the first of April but too many weather problems.

    If you have enough time to sit out bad weather you should get some great riding. Cold at night if you are camping.

    I've rode there in early March but decided to wait a few more weeks in the future. Now I start at the Hurricane MTB festival and warm up on Gooseberry Mesa.
    Yes, if you want to shuttle that high you will still have snow.....maybe. You can ride it ride now if you self shuttle as there is still no snow. There may be an odd storm in March but everything below 8000 feet will be rideable.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,939
    If the choice is to go in March, or not at all, go in March!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GJmtnbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    109
    March can be tricky at that time. Just can't tell for sure.
    2017 Specialized Camber FSR

  8. #8
    Yeti SB95c
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,374
    I'll mention that early November is fantastic around Moab, Hurricane, and Fruita! The crowds thin out and the weather is usually excellent. Often The Whole Enchilada is open from Burro Pass down. It is usually warm enough to camp comfortably.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

  9. #9
    😁Have a great day!😁
    Reputation: Yalerider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    147
    Im going last week of April as i wanted it a little warmer for wife and myself. Hope its decent weather.
    2016 Scott Genius 720 FS
    2017 Diamondback Sync'r HT
    2008 Giant TCX
    MTB is therapy!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    71
    Like others have said, the upper sections of the enchilada will likely be shut down in March, but there will still be a LOT of mind blowing riding options to be had. Keep an eye on the weather forecast as your trip approaches, but you're not likely to face a total rain out. There are trails down there that hold up well to the rain, and others that don't. You can get up to the minute beta from Chili Pepper or Poison Spider bike shops. Not sure if you're flying or driving in, but if you're flying into SLC and the weather in Moab is looking bad you can always detour to St. George/Hurricane for part or all of your trip if things look better there. STG is consistently warmer and a lot of storms that hit northern and eastern Utah miss STG. Drive time is the same from SLC to STG as it is to Moab, and the riding is phenomenal as well...

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Padlz View Post
    Like others have said, the upper sections of the enchilada will likely be shut down in March.
    TWE is not open until July 1 at the earliest (per BLM regulations).

    But, over 200 miles of singletrack to ride in Moab. One trail being closed is no big deal.

  12. #12
    Yeti SB95c
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,374
    Quote Originally Posted by sunderland56 View Post
    TWE is not open until July 1 at the earliest (per BLM regulations).

    But, over 200 miles of singletrack to ride in Moab. One trail being closed is no big deal.
    Most of TWE is open by May, usually Kokopelli and down to the river. It opens up as far as the shuttle services feel it is appropriate to go. Burro Pass at 11,000 feet opens July 1 (hopefully). I believe that Hazard opens earlier, often June, but not sure.

    Porcupine Rim is open most of the year. LPS and UPS open and close often in the early season so it depends on weather. Shuttles take riders as far up as they can.

    The whole trail from Burro to the river is never closed. So if you can only ride Porky then do that. Plenty of other treats in the area.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stalkerfiveo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,345
    Quote Originally Posted by sunderland56 View Post
    But, over 200 miles of singletrack to ride in Moab. One trail being closed is no big deal.
    Especially when the best parts of that trail are below Koko anyways. Next trip to Moab I won't even bother with Burro.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

  14. #14
    Yeti SB95c
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkerfiveo View Post
    Especially when the best parts of that trail are below Koko anyways. Next trip to Moab I won't even bother with Burro.
    Yep, the fun starts at UPS for me. I go to Moab for the rocks. The Alpine riding isn't that great. However, adding Burro and Hazard to the ride is a great test of endurance, if that is the objective.

    Don't forget that Jimmy Keen Trail starts at the top of Koko. Six miles of additional riding if you can't ride the upper trails. After about three miles I wished there was a decent escape route to the top of UPS. I got bored.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stalkerfiveo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,345
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    Yep, the fun starts at UPS for me. I go to Moab for the rocks. The Alpine riding isn't that great. However, adding Burro and Hazard to the ride is a great test of endurance, if that is the objective.

    Don't forget that Jimmy Keen Trail starts at the top of Koko. Six miles of additional riding if you can't ride the upper trails. After about three miles I wished there was a decent escape route to the top of UPS. I got bored.
    Totally agree. Small climb from Koko, then the fun begins!
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

Similar Threads

  1. Hi. I need friends. (Brevard friends)
    By Dangerous E in forum North & South Carolina
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-11-2014, 06:23 PM
  2. "the odious morons"
    By mtbxplorer in forum Women's Lounge
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-21-2014, 08:54 AM
  3. This means the world to me, please help my friends..PLEASE????
    By jeffgothro in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-04-2013, 09:45 AM
  4. Summer trip to CO made me lots of new friends on MTBR
    By Gered Dunne in forum Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-08-2013, 07:42 AM
  5. New Mexico is full of PSYCHOS and MORONs
    By SummitAP in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 299
    Last Post: 07-28-2012, 03:37 PM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.