• 03-30-2009
    jbone ll
    Moab trails during Jeep Safari
    Hey,
    Still planning our trip. What Moab trails can we ride during Jeep Safari that will NOT have any Jeeps Safariing. I was told to shuttle UPS, and hit Soveriegn. What else would be Jeep free?
  • 03-30-2009
    axolotl
    Green dot-portal would be mostly jeep free (they are restricted to gold bar). If you can shuttle above UPS-go higher (depends on snow). Amasa back will have jeeps- but I would go anyway cause they will fork off onto golden spike? and you can ride on to rock stacker and jackson. Jeeps are in slick rock but on a different trail. Is the new dead horse trail going yet?
  • 03-31-2009
    shrubeck
    I'm going to be there in my Jeep for the week. Odly enough, the least crowded trails you'll find are the official safari groups that Red Rock 4 Wheelers lead during the week. They take out a small group and close the trail to all other vehicles that day. The only problem with that is I'm not totally sure if they're still letting bikes on those trails. I haven't decided if I'm going to take my Bike down or not.
  • 03-31-2009
    jon.moab
    Quote:

Originally Posted by axolotl
    Green dot-portal would be mostly jeep free (they are restricted to gold bar). If you can shuttle above UPS-go higher (depends on snow). Amasa back will have jeeps- but I would go anyway cause they will fork off onto golden spike? and you can ride on to rock stacker and jackson. Jeeps are in slick rock but on a different trail. Is the new dead horse trail going yet?

Amasa Back will definitely have Jeeps on it. The trail however does not fork off onto Golden Spike. Golden Spike can be accessed via Gold Bar Rim, Poison Spider or Rusty Nail. Amasa Back is run as an out and back in a Jeep.

You can pretty much count on anything that is not single track as being occupied by the Jeep crowd. This still leaves plenty of trails for your MTB!!!
  • 03-31-2009
    forkboy
    Quote:

Jeeps are in slick rock but on a different trail.

Yep, BUT there will be a mile-long line of jeeps trying to get into Sand Flats.

And every campsite within 50 miles will be taken.
    And there will be a 2-hour wait at every restaurant....

In all reality - best to stay away during Easter. Go to Fruita instead.

Another jeep-free trail will be the Brand (Bar M Circle O Rockin A Killer B) trails.

But really - best to avoid the whole scene.
  • 03-31-2009
    axolotl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jon.moab
    Amasa Back will definitely have Jeeps on it. The trail however does not fork off onto Golden Spike. Golden Spike can be accessed via Gold Bar Rim, Poison Spider or Rusty Nail. Amasa Back is run as an out and back in a Jeep.

You can pretty much count on anything that is not single track as being occupied by the Jeep crowd. This still leaves plenty of trails for your MTB!!!

Thats right its steel bender that forks off amasa back
  • 03-31-2009
    forkboy
    Quote:

Try again - Steel Bender connects to Flat Pass.
  • 03-31-2009
    axolotl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by forkboy
    Try again - Steel Bender connects to Flat Pass.

Well dam! what is the trail that forks off of amasa back then? The jeep road goes down and then up and looks out over the potash ponds. Single track goes out to the arch, past rockstacker.
  • 03-31-2009
    crager34
    Quote:

Cliff Hanger is the 4x4 name and Amasa Back is the Mt. Bike name.... same trail.
  • 03-31-2009
    crager34
    Quote:

Green Dot to Portal? Are you thinking of Blue Dot? The Blue Dot runs between the top of Gold Bar and the top of Poison Spider/Portal. It parrallels and sometimes uses the Golden Spike trail. And I am pretty sure that UPS is still closed. **UPDATE** UPS is open.
  • 03-31-2009
    crager34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by shrubeck
    I'm going to be there in my Jeep for the week. Odly enough, the least crowded trails you'll find are the official safari groups that Red Rock 4 Wheelers lead during the week. They take out a small group and close the trail to all other vehicles that day. The only problem with that is I'm not totally sure if they're still letting bikes on those trails. I haven't decided if I'm going to take my Bike down or not.

The Red Rock 4 Wheelers are not a governing body and cannot close down any trail out here to any other vehicles or bikes.

Heck... I like to 4 wheel, so when they are on the same trails I am biking, or visa versa, I like to watch the skill of the operator. So.... it's all entertainment!!! :thumbsup:
  • 03-31-2009
    jbone ll
    good info thanks.
    It would be cool to take a breather and watch some 4 wheel action, almost worth the loss of silence I suspect.
  • 03-31-2009
    frejwilk
    Exclusive use
    Quote:

Originally Posted by crager34
    The Red Rock 4 Wheelers are not a governing body and cannot close down any trail out here to any other vehicles or bikes.

Heck... I like to 4 wheel, so when they are on the same trails I am biking, or visa versa, I like to watch the skill of the operator. So.... it's all entertainment!!! :thumbsup:

Actually, it is true that several routes are designated for 'exclusive use' of Easter Jeep Safari participants.

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/...ive.print.html

This only applies to motorized users, so the advice to consider those trails for riding is good. Especially if you are able to get out there just before the safari group.

Bartlett Wash, Sovereign Singletracks, Slickrock, Bar B, Rockin' A, Circle O, would all be trails you won't encounter jeeps on. You won't find jeeps on UPS or LPS, but the safari does use some of Porcupine Rim trail. Likewise, Pothole Arch, Rockstacker and Jackson's trail - you might encounter jeeps on Amasa Back on the way to those trails.

Easter week is pretty busy in Moab with or without the safari. You're going to encounter LOTS of people on all these trails. Not a lot of silence anywhere. Still can be fun if you're prepared.

FW
  • 04-01-2009
    crager34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frejwilk
    Actually, it is true that several routes are designated for 'exclusive use' of Easter Jeep Safari participants.

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/...ive.print.html

This only applies to motorized users, so the advice to consider those trails for riding is good. Especially if you are able to get out there just before the safari group.

Bartlett Wash, Sovereign Singletracks, Slickrock, Bar B, Rockin' A, Circle O, would all be trails you won't encounter jeeps on. You won't find jeeps on UPS or LPS, but the safari does use some of Porcupine Rim trail. Likewise, Pothole Arch, Rockstacker and Jackson's trail - you might encounter jeeps on Amasa Back on the way to those trails.

Easter week is pretty busy in Moab with or without the safari. You're going to encounter LOTS of people on all these trails. Not a lot of silence anywhere. Still can be fun if you're prepared.

FW

Good catch!! :thumbsup: But technically, it's the BLM that is closing those trails. :rolleyes: