Moab trail recommendations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Moab trail recommendations

"All Mountain" type of rider who enjoys challenging singletrack here.

I need some help with planning. So many trails, so little time.

This is for a trip in late June / early July. (I'm used to riding in the Texas heat). We're flying
    into SLC and going to be riding Park City and Brian Head as well as Moab. I think I have the
    Park City and Brian Head trails figured out. But I need some help with the Moab selections.

If you had 3 days to do 3 Moab rides and each ride was going to be somewhere between 15 and 30
    miles (approximately) what would you recommend?

Sovereign?

Porc?

and?

Thanks,
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

1: Complete Sov singletrack. Brilliant, varied, really hot, no shade.

2: Gold Bar Rim-Blue Dot-Poison Spider Loop. Start really early, the heat is especially ridiculous up there.

3: Hazard County. Massive descent from 11.5k, ending with Porc Rim. Would let you beat the heat a bit. Doing it without a shuttle would be serious extra credit.

You're totally nuts for going then, but I'm sure you know that already.

Between BH and Moab, hit the Casto Canyon-Thunder Mtn loop. Really, really good. Not very technical, but gorgeous, fast, and fun.

Silver bullet
    If I had three days I' do:

Sovereign, Porcupine, and Amasa Back. Going up Amasa Back just above where a waterline crosses the trail (you'll know it when you see it) there's a trail that branches off to the right. This turns into some awesome singletrack that snakes along a trail high above the Colorado River. The views are great but you don't dare take your eyes off the trail. I just can't remember the name of the trail. It ends at the bottom and crosses a creek just down the road from the Amasa Back parking lots.

Last spring we shuttled to the top of Porc and started the descent and a sweet young lady was just getting to the top after riding up. She called us pussies!! None of us could think of anything to say.

No matter what you ride it's all great.

mtbr member

Jackson?

I believe the narrow singletrack you speak of is called Jackson Trail. You are right, it is very narrow in places with 12-24" to the edge and a very long way down! I had to hike it for a lot of this. The stream crossing can be as deep as your armpits and very cold. Watch out for the hole in the bottom about half way across and a snag you could easily trip on and go under!

Quote---
    Sovereign, Porcupine, and Amasa Back. Going up Amasa Back just above where a waterline crosses the trail (you'll know it when you see it) there's a trail that branches off to the right. This turns into some awesome singletrack that snakes along a trail high above the Colorado River. The views are great but you don't dare take your eyes off the trail. I just can't remember the name of the trail. It ends at the bottom and crosses a creek just down the road from the Amasa Back parking lots.

Last spring we shuttled to the top of Porc and started the descent and a sweet young lady was just getting to the top after riding up. She called us pussies!! None of us could think of anything to say.

No matter what you ride it's all great.[/quote]

Silver bullet
    Yes Trekmike...it is the Jackson Trail, thanks for jogging my memory.

I have heard that the stream can be deep and cold. I crossed it last year in the spring after the heavy rains and in the fall. Both times we were able to ride it and only get our feet wet. Considering Evil Patrick will be there in late June or early July I didn't think deep water would be and issue at that time. The ride through the vegetation tunnel is especially cool. You feel like you're in a rain forest.

mtbr member

Tamarisk?

The vegetation tunnel, I think is Tamarisk-- an invasive species and taking over the country!

Kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by djb55
    Yes Trekmike...it is the Jackson Trail, thanks for jogging my memory.

I have heard that the stream can be deep and cold. I crossed it last year in the spring after the heavy rains and in the fall. Both times we were able to ride it and only get our feet wet. Considering Evil Patrick will be there in late June or early July I didn't think deep water would be and issue at that time. The ride through the vegetation tunnel is especially cool. You feel like you're in a rain forest.

mtbr member
    Try UPS to LPS to Porc Rim. However, I'm not sure of the "legal" status of UPS as of right now (LPS is open).
    Be careful out there, Texas heat is very different from Moab heat (no shade, no water, sun reflecting off the rock).

Members who have read this thread: 0