Moab trail conditions - newest thread!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Moab trail conditions - newest thread!

Going out 2/16-18. My wife is running in the Red Hot 50K, so I'll have time for rides each day. I am guessing the area is mostly snow free, with some north-facing areas still muddy and/or retaining some snow.

Was hoping to ride the old school MSC race course (Hurrah Pass Jackson Hole Jacobs Ladder Amasa Back). And prob Sovereign Trail, maybe Slickrock too.

Any recent reports from people who have been out in the area?

I rode Bartlett Wash on Wednesday,Sovereign on Thursday, and Slickrock on Friday.

Bartlett Wash was fine.

Sovereign was in great shape save for the top of the first ridge (snow on N. aspect) and the last hill before the slickrock (lots of snow there).

Slickrock trail was all clear. Porcupine looked like a nightmare.

I camped at the foot of Hurrah, thinking I could ride up to the top of the pass for a sunset ride, but it seemed like there was too much mud/snow to make it worthwhile. Amasa looked fine, if I had stayed another day I would have done it for sure. Kane Creek road was very muddy in spots.
    "The Ice Age is comin', the Sun's zoomin' in..."

-The Clash

Jul 2005
    I am gonna be around there the first/second week of March, where are some good places to ride that should be clear? I am looking for good all-mountain with nice descents. I am a freeride/DHer myself but my companions are all mountainers. Where's the good stuff? Thanks a lot

mtbr member
    What is the trail conditions forcast for March 9-12? A few of us are planning on coming out for a long weekend, and it looks like the area might get some precip. Previous posts say the trail conditions are good!!

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dauwalt
    What is the trail conditions forcast for March 9-12? A few of us are planning on coming out for a long weekend, and it looks like the area might get some precip. Previous posts say the trail conditions are good!!
    Was just there this past Saturday.

Gold Bar is in excellent condition (as you would expect for a south facing area). Guys in Poison Spider were telling some rental customers that Soveriegn back parts (the hills) were goopy muddy and to avoid them.

I expect if you ride things like amasa, gold bar, flat pass, slickrock, metalmasher and the like you will be guaranteed good times. Other areas are probably getting better the more days after the last precipitation that you wait.

mtbr member

it was awesome 2/17-19

no snow, except higher up, say above 6,000' or so. yes it could rain there anytime, but unless it was a deluge, the desert terrain there dries very quickly. I bet you'll have good weather. trails will definitely be ridable. I wish I was in Moab for the next 2 months.

mtbr member

all lower trails are clear, dry and hard

replying to zzsean...when i was there 2/17-19, I also hear of some soft spots on Sovereign. THe entire trail was totally dry and hard. Even the north-facing ridge descents (if riding the trail south to north from Willow Springs pumphouse TH) were bone dry, with just hints of moisture in the shade. Amasa Back was all dry, and the view from the top down on Potash and Jackson Hole is amazing. Great rocky, tech descent down Amasa back to Kane Creek Rd. Slickrock is always awesome too.

mtbr member
    While I realize you've already been, I thought for those who were considering here is an update.

A bit of snow on Friday evening made Saturday's riding a bit wet, but those sandy trails hold up well and are actually fun to ride. On Sunday, things had melted even more and were pretty dry. It was snowing on the drive back north however, and I guess more is predicted for this week.
    Attached Images Attached Images

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    S-

Is that second pic showing the alternate singletrack route off of Amasa Back?

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by TheProf
    While I realize you've already been, I thought for those who were considering here is an update.

A bit of snow on Friday evening made Saturday's riding a bit wet, but those sandy trails hold up well and are actually fun to ride. On Sunday, things had melted even more and were pretty dry. It was snowing on the drive back north however, and I guess more is predicted for this week.

mtbr member
    Is that second pic showing the alternate singletrack route off of Amasa Back?
    Ya, sorry, I meant to describe each. First one was Flat Pass (far from Flat, by the way ) and the second was on Jackson's off Amasa. Pretty technical piece of trail, that one is.....

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Sweet. I hope to do Flat Pass when I am down there in two weeks. Did you prefer the ST to the traditional Amasa Back descent? Chuky and I debated it, but since we had never been there before we took the "classic" way down.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by TheProf
    Ya, sorry, I meant to describe each. First one was Flat Pass (far from Flat, by the way ) and the second was on Jackson's off Amasa. Pretty technical piece of trail, that one is.....

mtbr member
    Good question. You know, each is fun - bombing back down Amasa is good, but the singletrack was pretty sweet. I guess my answer is 'depends on your mood'.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Sweet. I hope to do Flat Pass when I am down there in two weeks. Did you prefer the ST to the traditional Amasa Back descent? Chuky and I debated it, but since we had never been there before we took the "classic" way down.

JMH
    take the singletrack. highly suggested. i think it's more technical overall, not just ledgy/pick your line sorta' stuff. from the pics i've seen of you two riding, i'm estimating you'll like it. hell, you could even do two laps; one down the "classic" way, have some lunch, then back up and down the singletrack. i haven't taken the normal route any more since discovering the other option.

that said, the classic route is still pretty damn kick ass.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    The ST sounds like money. The regular way is fine, but if the trail is challenging I am all over it next time. I would rather puzzle over a technical problem than huck three dozen 18" ledges.

So that begs the question: who else is going to be down there on the 8th through the 11th?

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    take the singletrack. highly suggested. i think it's more technical overall, not just ledgy/pick your line sorta' stuff. from the pics i've seen of you two riding, i'm estimating you'll like it. hell, you could even do two laps; one down the "classic" way, have some lunch, then back up and down the singletrack. i haven't taken the normal route any more since discovering the other option.

that said, the classic route is still pretty damn kick ass.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Back to conditions..
    It is dumping here in denver .. yet again.
    how do things look for this weekend. Ibelieve you might see some of this white stuff thursday???
    keep the posts going

Quote Originally Posted by ratmfreak99
    Back to conditions..
    It is dumping here in denver .. yet again.
    how do things look for this weekend. Ibelieve you might see some of this white stuff thursday???
    keep the posts going
    the moab forecast appears to be better than here (front range) by quite a bit still. i'm still taking off tomorrow morning, barring road closures. driving slowly. good music, coffee, munchies, and chains in the car just in case.

i hope to get 5-6 days of riding in. even if it's colder/grey, it's still better trail conditions than over here!

i drink shower water
    anyone know what Porcupine looks like? me and a buddy are gonna be out there some time between the 12th and the 18th of march. Wanted to know if it might be dry by then?
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

mtbr member

prob snowy/muddy higher up

in all the years I've been going to Moab in early/spring, upper Porcupine (UPS, LPS right down to the overlook) is us not ready til late March/early April. Who knows this year, as Moab hasn't had anywhere near the rain/snow that Fruita has received.
    I'd call Chile Pepper or Poison Spider to get more beta.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I would guess porcupine is ugly, I am in moab right now and the weather is ugly for moab.

It's snowed the last 2 nights in moab, canyonlands and arches have 2-4" of snow on them, the la sals have been getting hammered the last couple nights. Weather forecast through the weekend says temps probably won't break 45.

It was maybe 40 today and windy, probably 37-38 yesterday and really windy with blowing snow off and on. No one is out riding, I drove out to klondike and amasa today and no one was there. There were a couple cars in the slickrock lot but that was it.

It's not bad for hiking and photos, but if I wanted to ride in snow I could have stayed home. But that's what happens when you come to moab early. Weather is always hit and miss, if you take the time to plan a trip here, make sure it's late march or april, and avoid the jeep safari. Earlier in march is just too unpredictable, it might be 65 and it might be 35 and snowing..

mtbr member
    I understand that the trail on Amassa Back goes left at the top of Jacobís Ladder but itís an out and back that overlooks the Colorado, yes? Does the ST loop back into the bottom of Amassa Back?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddM
    I would guess porcupine is ugly, I am in moab right now and the weather is ugly for moab.

It's snowed the last 2 nights in moab, canyonlands and arches have 2-4" of snow on them, the la sals have been getting hammered the last couple nights. Weather forecast through the weekend says temps probably won't break 45.

It was maybe 40 today and windy, probably 37-38 yesterday and really windy with blowing snow off and on. No one is out riding, I drove out to klondike and amasa today and no one was there. There were a couple cars in the slickrock lot but that was it.

It's not bad for hiking and photos, but if I wanted to ride in snow I could have stayed home. But that's what happens when you come to moab early. Weather is always hit and miss, if you take the time to plan a trip here, make sure it's late march or april, and avoid the jeep safari. Earlier in march is just too unpredictable, it might be 65 and it might be 35 and snowing..
    I rode Porc on Sunday. There was snow up top. Some of it ridable. I did the loop starting at Negro Bill Canyon. It was cold and windy.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    The ST goes North and follows the cliff while the Cliffhanger Jeep Trail (Amasa) goes South past Jacksons Hole before it turns and drops down to the East. The trail decends along the river and dumps out on Kane Creek as the road turns south away from the river, or at least that's what I gather from my map.

How do you find the trailhead at the top? Anyone?

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by OffRoadRoadie
    I understand that the trail on Amassa Back goes left at the top of Jacobís Ladder but itís an out and back that overlooks the Colorado, yes? Does the ST loop back into the bottom of Amassa Back?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    29Colossus,

How is porc "backwards"? I always thought it would be interesting to do the long climb up and the 4 mile descent onto the sandflats road, but I haven't convinced anyone else yet to go that way. I've always liked the technical short climb up but I think it would rip going the other way as well.

JMH,

We have always gotten to the overlook of the salt mine (I'm assuming that's what it is) and the colorado and lost the trail from there. I've heard that's only about half the actual trail from locals but we have yet to find anything interesting aside that, or coax any kind of meaningful directions out of them. I did find a gps route on motionbased.com for amasa that showed a significant amount of trail past that point, but I have not yet had a chance to explore it to see what's really out there.

There is a chunk of people in town today for the skinny tire festival, but I'd bet quite a few of those driving might not make it from the east. From what I've heard I70 is pretty brutal coming out of Denver this way, When I came out earlier in the week it was bad, and evidentially it's worse now. I had thought about riding a couple days of the skinny tire, but with the weather the way it is, getting on my road bike at 9am with 25-30 deg morning temps doesn't sound like any kind of fun as it's supposed to be around 20 degrees this evening, already down to 29. Friday is good chance of snow, wind, and maybe 40 deg for a high.

At this rate I may have to break out the snowshoes and head up to the la sals. I could have used my crampons on a couple of the icy hikes in the canyonlands today.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    SKINNY TIRE!

Yeah, my sister was interested and I offered to go ride road bikes down there with her. I am glad now that we abandoned that plan! It's still snowing up here in SLC, but it is obviously a last gasp... it's melting almost as quickly as it's building up.

Looks like the weather is going to improve dramatically by the end of the coming week.

slickrock yesterday: just fine.

sovereign this morning: good to go.

amasa this afternoon: main trail just fine; skipped rockstacker/singletrack, as the wind was downright brutal on that side.

a little bit of snow today, but no actual accumulation.

gold bar/portal, porc from the lazy mans trailhead , and amasa/r-stacker/singletrack. porl monday or tuesday, to give it a few more days to dry out. dryness reports to come.

mtbr member
    I rode Amasa Back this afternoon as my first ride in Moab ever. Great ride, which I thoroughly enjoyed. The conditions were pretty good although it was a bit chilly. The trail was nice and dry, although the wind near the very top got pretty harsh as scrublover mentioned above. We experienced a small dropping of sleet/snow as well on our way down, but it was over fairly quickly. It seemed like this small storm cloud quickly passed through.

More Chasmism
    so...

We passed exactly one bike as we were on the way down. I assume that was you (ascending) that we (descending) passed, about 1/2 way up to (or down from) the first summit. There were three of us -- me on a hardtail and two others on bigger bikes.

I seem to remember a red bike.

hfly

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hfly
    so...

We passed exactly one bike as we were on the way down. I assume that was you (ascending) that we (descending) passed, about 1/2 way up to (or down from) the first summit. There were three of us -- me on a hardtail and two others on bigger bikes.

I seem to remember a red bike.

hfly
    I'm not too sure if that was us. I seem to remember a set of 2 bikers somewhere in the middle of amasa when we were ascending. We made some room for them and allowed them to continue their fast paced descent down to the bottom. I was in a group of 4 yesterday, I was with my 06 Enduro Elite on its maiden voyage. My fellow bikers were riding an 05 RM Slayer 30, 06 Prophet 800 and a Specialized FSR XC (i think).

I remember a set of 3 or so bikers (saw 2 on transitions i think) on our way out near amasa on the road that leads back into town. Hopefully you guys had an awesome time on the trail as we did!
    2006 Specialized Enduro Elite
    2004 Rocky Mountain Element 50

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Heh, I should have stayed in bed today.

I started out going to ride gemini, got half mile in and my rear x9 shifter decided it didn't want to shift, but now the thumb shifter does neat 360's So I went back into poison spider, and they actually had a rear x9 so I picked that up installed it out in the gemini parking lot. Half hour later I was back on the trail and finished it up. Oddly on a couple of the steep loose climbs I thought I dropped my chain, as the bike freewheeled half a rev. Of course this dumbfounded me as I have an evil13 guide on it and of course the chain had not dropped. Finished the ride, without further problems, went over to klondike as it was getting late and I figured I could rip that up easy with the time left.

About a mile or so into klondike just before the dino tracks, the rear wheel let go, cassette and cranks were spinning, and I was going no where. So I limped/walked it back to the truck went into town had dinner, stopped by poison spider and asked them about what it might be internally and if they had parts. That was about the time the mechanic went "dude your hub is &#*@&$" Here the rear hubshell on my dt swiss 340 freeride hub had split clean open.

So tomorrow I will spend the day looking for a new rear wheel, and deciding on getting something cheap to get me by or just replacing my wheelset. At least I still have the road bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    29Colossus,

How is porc "backwards"? I always thought it would be interesting to do the long climb up and the 4 mile descent onto the sandflats road, but I haven't convinced anyone else yet to go that way. I've always liked the technical short climb up but I think it would rip going the other way as well.
    Well, I'm not 29 Colossus, but I own a 29er, and weigh 190 pounds, so maybe he won't mind if I answer!

Porc backwards is great, especially if you get an early start, which allows you to avoid almost all the downhill traffic. Ride from the bottom parking lot, to the upper overlook into Castle Valley (generally considered to be the top of Lower Porc), then head down to the water tank at Sandflats Road. Turn around and retrace your path.

To me, this is a whole bunch more fun for an "epic" type of ride than doing the classic Porc Loop that involves a ton of paved and dirt road riding!
    Whining is not a strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by DC6*
    I'm not too sure if that was us. I seem to remember a set of 2 bikers somewhere in the middle of amasa when we were ascending. We made some room for them and allowed them to continue their fast paced descent down to the bottom. I was in a group of 4 yesterday, I was with my 06 Enduro Elite on its maiden voyage. My fellow bikers were riding an 05 RM Slayer 30, 06 Prophet 800 and a Specialized FSR XC (i think).

I remember a set of 3 or so bikers (saw 2 on transitions i think) on our way out near amasa on the road that leads back into town. Hopefully you guys had an awesome time on the trail as we did!
    that must have been you guys we saw at the top of the entrance/drop in/staircase. yeah, we had an excellent ride!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    Well, I'm not 29 Colossus, but I own a 29er, and weigh 190 pounds, so maybe he won't mind if I answer!

Porc backwards is great, especially if you get an early start, which allows you to avoid almost all the downhill traffic. Ride from the bottom parking lot, to the upper overlook into Castle Valley (generally considered to be the top of Lower Porc), then head down to the water tank at Sandflats Road. Turn around and retrace your path.

To me, this is a whole bunch more fun for an "epic" type of ride than doing the classic Porc Loop that involves a ton of paved and dirt road riding!
    Good answer.

When I was riding, I wondered why peeps just didn't ride it as an out and back. It would be rough on a 70 degree Sunday due to the people, but for the frequent user, it would be a far better way to ride it. Stay on the dirt!... err.. sand! Go early like you said. That would work.

And as an afterthought, just to stew the brine in thick sauce, unless you are riding a giant machine, there is no need to shuttle. I can't believe all the shuttles I have seen over the years on porc. Shuttle shuttle shuttle. Stop the madness.

mtbr member
    Rode slickrock yesterday (Saturday) and it was very dry. The wind was a bit chilly at times, but nothing a few layers didn't fix.

Myself and 3 others tackled Flat Pass today. The conditions were really good. There was a bit of snow near the beginning where there wasn't alot of sunlight exposure, and also near the end for a bit. Lots of sand on this trail as well, lots of it ridable, although I found myself sapped of energy on quite a few sandy climbs. The weather was great all day, it started off a bit chilly and really warmed up in the afternoon to make this a fun ride. Had a blast on some of the downhill sections!

Quote Originally Posted by DC6*
    Rode slickrock yesterday (Saturday) and it was very dry. The wind was a bit chilly at times, but nothing a few layers didn't fix.

Myself and 3 others tackled Flat Pass today. ..............
    Whatcha' all riding tomorrow? I'm thinking of Sovereign out and back in the morning, and Top of the World in the afternoon. Tuesday, early morning Porcupine is on the menu, starting from the bottom, heading up as high as my legs feel like. Then driving home. Ugh.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Well I found a wheel by the afternoon today, so the ventana is up and running, and I used the morning to head over to wallstreet and get some climbing pictures. I tell ya no amount of trainer riding prep ya for moab. So far all I've got in is gemini and klondike, so I'm thinking of amasa and maybe the moab rim tomorrow and poking around at the top of amasa for the singletrack that I keep hearing about up there, and have yet to find. Then slickrock on Tuesday before I have to head off to Logan. The other night I hear the moab cyclery crew hit slickrock by moonlight with no lights, that would have been fun and scary.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Slickrock by the full moon is an awesome experience. I was bummed to look up last night and see that I am going to miss it... should still be bright enough, but the full moon is best.

The other night I hear the moab cyclery crew hit slickrock by moonlight with no lights, that would have been fun and scary.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    Whatcha' all riding tomorrow? I'm thinking of Sovereign out and back in the morning, and Top of the World in the afternoon. Tuesday, early morning Porcupine is on the menu, starting from the bottom, heading up as high as my legs feel like. Then driving home. Ugh.
    I'm actually not too sure yet. Was thinking of going to Bartlett Wash for a bit of slickrock playing. My legs are already feeling the effects of the last 3 rides, even a so called easy ride here in Moab is draining on me! The trails here are very physically strenuous, but darn fun

2 Rides in one day! thats pretty monstrous. I doubt there would be any way for me to keep up with you or your group

mtbr member

Heading out to ride / need company...

Any one like to join me on friday through sunday for a ride? Sov? Amasa? etc?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    We'll be there Sat. night to Wed-Thurs. Send me a pm later this week.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    What's the latest on Moab? Some friends and I are thinking about riding there from 11-14 Feb 2008. Are the trails rideable without snowmobiles?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Moab

Quote Originally Posted by Cacheman
    What's the latest on Moab? Some friends and I are thinking about riding there from 11-14 Feb 2008. Are the trails rideable without snowmobiles?

Too early to tell. I was there last weekend and rode Slickrock but I walked some shaded sides. It is probably clear by now. If it doesn't snow between now and then you'll be able to ride Slickrock, Baby Steps, Sovereign, Gemini, maybe Amasa Back, maybe Poison Spider, probably Barlett Wash. However, it could snow February 10 and wipe out all riding for awhile.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks Honkinunit. I might PM you for an update when my trip gets closer, if that's cool.
    Cheers, Cacheman

mtbr member

here I am again, a year later

I started this post last year, same time. Again, my wife is going out to run the Moab Red Hot 50K. It won't be red hot, but hopefully we'll find some dry trails around. I know Moab received an inch or two over the wknd, but the sun is out and typically that melts snow quickly out there. I am hoping to ride Amasa Back on Sat afternoon the 16th, and parts of Sovereign on Sunday the 17th.

Any trail recon lately would be much appreciated.

mtbr member
    The ST goes North and follows the cliff while the Cliffhanger Jeep Trail (Amasa) goes South past Jacksons Hole before it turns and drops down to the East. The trail decends along the river and dumps out on Kane Creek as the road turns south away from the river, or at least that's what I gather from my map.

How do you find the trailhead at the top? Anyone?

JMH
    From the pipe crossing, it's the next sandy right. After you get on the singletrack, there is another split at this sign (then it's all fun)... Jacksons is fun but intimidating... For the amount of moisture that Moab is getting, be very very careful on the stream crossing at the very end... It should be higher than average (it's the same stream you cross at the start of Amasa Back)...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

moab has dry trails!

Amasa Back and Slickrock are 100% dry. I rode the first 3-4mi on Sovereign and turned around at a muddy section that many were riding through. Alll in all a great beginning of my 2008 riding season. Weather was upper 40s and sun, nice enough to wear shorts once you got moving. Driving over on I-70 from CO, there was a lot of snow by Fruita, prob 6-12" off the highway by the Kokopelli trail area. Even by the Crescent Junction exit to get on 191 south to Moab, there was a lot of snow there on Friday. Then about 15mi outside of Moab everything started to look dry. My wife ran the Red Hot 50K, and she said Gold Spike was dry, and most sections of Poison Spider. Hard to believe it's mid-Feb and we're riding in the desert again. My jones has been answered. Now I can wait the 3-4 more weeks the Front Range might need (or more) before their trails look nice.

mtbr member

Moab conditions?

I am going out 3/7-9 and am stoked. Just for the peeps looking to go out in the near future....surely you can ride Slickrock, Amasa Back, Sovereign Trail. Prob also good to go would be Gold Spike, Gemini Bridges, Poison Spider, Portal, Baby Steps. Not sure what else is good to go.

Being that CO is unusually buried this winter, I am kinda surprised we haven't had better updates on the Moab area. Fruita may not dry out til late March this year. hard to say!

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jcospoco
    I am going out 3/7-9 and am stoked. Just for the peeps looking to go out in the near future....surely you can ride Slickrock, Amasa Back, Sovereign Trail. Prob also good to go would be Gold Spike, Gemini Bridges, Poison Spider, Portal, Baby Steps. Not sure what else is good to go.

Being that CO is unusually buried this winter, I am kinda surprised we haven't had better updates on the Moab area. Fruita may not dry out til late March this year. hard to say!
    I was in Moab this past weekend (02/23) and Gold Bar and Gemini area was in great shape.

Gemini Bridges road itself was mucky goop on the climb (it is north facing and shady) and muddy in spots out past Gemini Bridge itself. (If you ride that far - I was in my vehicle for all of the Gemini Bridge road)

Whatever

Porc on 3/8

So will Porc be OK on 3/8? I am out there while my girlfriend runs the Moab Half Marathon, so I have a half day to ride. Will LPS be rideable that early?
    just ride

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="431" height="287" data="http://www.vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=747450&amp;server=www.vimeo. com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byl ine=0&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=ff9933"> <param name="quality" value="best" /> <param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /> <param name="scale" value="showAll" /> <param name="movie" value="http://www.vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=747450&amp;server=www.vimeo. com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byl ine=0&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=ff9933" /></object><br /><a href="http://www.vimeo.com/747450/l:embed_747450">Short trip to Moab, Feb. 08</a> from <a href="http://www.vimeo.com/user153274/l:embed_747450">NoahColorado</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com/l:embed_747450">Vimeo</a>.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

i drink shower water
    where in Moab is this? me and some buddies are heading to Moab march 8-10th. We usually ride porc rim, but i want to get in to some other spots. if you could tell me some good DH/FR trails and directions to them i would appreciate the hell out of it.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Not likely... Latest beta on Porc is some spots of gunky mud on the north-facing singletrack but the rim itself looks pretty clear. Any shaded areas will probably be mud and snow for a while since it just snowed up there again yesterday.

This info is from somebody riding up from the bottom, I don't even know if they are shuttling riders up there yet. You would never get up the climb on the original route but LPS might be okay?

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by MINImtnbiker
    So will Porc be OK on 3/8? I am out there while my girlfriend runs the Moab Half Marathon, so I have a half day to ride. Will LPS be rideable that early?

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004

Canyonlands

Anyone have any first hand info on White Rim? I'll call the office when they're open but I'm itching get out of Denver for a weekend and wonder if it's dry (enough) yet.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

mtbr member
    Amasa-Jacksons...
    anyone know how deep the creek crossing is now? spring isn't far, and I know it can be thigh deep sometimes.

Whatever
    Not likely... Latest beta on Porc is some spots of gunky mud on the north-facing singletrack but the rim itself looks pretty clear. Any shaded areas will probably be mud and snow for a while since it just snowed up there again yesterday.

This info is from somebody riding up from the bottom, I don't even know if they are shuttling riders up there yet. You would never get up the climb on the original route but LPS might be okay?

JMH
    Thanks. I've got a car shuttle and can deal with a little mud as long as it's not going to ruin the trail. I'll stop by a local shop on Sat a.m. and check in with them.
    just ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcospoco
    Amasa-Jacksons...
    anyone know how deep the creek crossing is now? spring isn't far, and I know it can be thigh deep sometimes.
    The first stream crossing on Amasa is a good indicator of how the crossing at the end of Jacksons will be (they're basically the same stream)... That's how we usually decide whether Jacksons will be a go or not...

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Heard the creek was quite low on Monday.

JMH

Whatever

Any updates on Porc + LPS?

Any updates on Porc + LPS?
    just ride

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    No but I called Canyonlands and apparently WR is good to go except that shafer is closed. Now I just have to figure out the long canyon detour.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

mtbr member

Map Info

An good leads on expanded trail maps for Moab? I have a few trail guides, but none are quite as good as I would like. Is there a website or two that I could go to for further info?

Aug 2007
    Which would you pick if you had to choose between June or August, to go to Moab?

Unfortunately those are the only two months I have to choose from. From what I have heard, both kind suck as choices, but I figured I'd ask here which is the lesser of two evils...

frejwilk
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertDoc
    An good leads on expanded trail maps for Moab? I have a few trail guides, but none are quite as good as I would like. Is there a website or two that I could go to for further info?
    Latitude 40

All the bike shops in Moab have these maps.

FW

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

June..

June, hands down. It isn't normally as brutally hot as August, and there are fewer thunderstorms.

Normal Temperatures
    (MOAB Weather station, 0.23 miles from Moab)
    Month Jun Jul Aug
    Max įF 95.0 100.5 98.1
    Mean įF 76.3 82.3 80.8
    Min įF 57.6 64.1 63.4

Normal Precipitation

Month Jun Jul Aug
    Inch 0.37 0.91 0.83

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertDoc
    Check the Moab Trip Planner sticky. Several good maps named.

JMH

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Yo JMH, wish I could join ya this weekend! Stuck in cackalackee...

That ST option, Jacksons, is a freakin' blast coming down from Amasa. Super fun with a few super-tech sections. Well worth trying.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    Yo JMH, wish I could join ya this weekend! Stuck in cackalackee...
    We aren't headed down again until next weekend. When do you guys have a weekend in April? We are doing March 15th-16th in Moab for some long rides, 28th-30th in Springdale to meet a buddy from AR, April 05-06 in Moab again for a one-day White Rim (yoinks!)... after that we are free and should be pretty fit!

P-TownDave- I see you lurking. My ankle isn't swollen anymore. Street next week?

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    We aren't headed down again until next weekend. When do you guys have a weekend in April? We are doing March 15th-16th in Moab for some long rides, 28th-30th in Springdale to meet a buddy from AR, April 05-06 in Moab again for a one-day White Rim (yoinks!)... after that we are free and should be pretty fit!

P-TownDave- I see you lurking. My ankle isn't swollen anymore. Street next week?
    We've been kicking around the idea of the first weekend in April in Moab or Virgin. I'm sure we'll be sucking wind, wobbling, and crashing coming off of a winter of almost no riding. We should def get something planned though. You need to put some scratches on that mint-green mean machine of yours.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    The stream crossing at Jacksons was low as of Wednesday. I was able to cross the pipe while using my bike for balance. My gal was able to ride across just a few feet upstream.

I also heard that Porcupine is free of snow, the climb is muddy but doable (depends on how much you care about riding in the mud I guess). I heard that from a Moto guy. I really doubt you can go much higher than Anxiety point yet.
    NOAH SEARS

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Jeep Safari starts March 15

and goes through March 23. Good luck with the Jeepers. It's not that they're a bad lot it's just the mass of vehicles on all the trails. Too bad you can't move your trip up to the coupla days before that weekend.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    and goes through March 23. Good luck with the Jeepers. It's not that they're a bad lot it's just the mass of vehicles on all the trails. Too bad you can't move your trip up to the coupla days before that weekend.
    Not too put off by the Jeep Safari... I agree it's not the best time to visit (have done it before), but that's when my schedule allows. Plus they won't be too common where we are going to ride.

JMH

No, that's not phonetic
    What's Fruita like these days? Any snow over at the base of the Book Cliffs? Are the Lunch Loops dry?
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    What's Fruita like these days? Any snow over at the base of the Book Cliffs? Are the Lunch Loops dry?
    How was the flight?

There are a couple of helpful comments toward the end of page 3 on this thread over on the Western slope forum.

Looks like by the end of next week much of Fruita should be open if they don't receive any more moisture....... (We've got another storm moving through here (Ely, NV) today.)
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Rode Poison Spider 3-9-08 and it was bea-U-tiful. Funny though... I don't remember it being that hard when I did this back in my 20's.
    It's not an adventure until someone BLEEDS!

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Rode Sovereign 03/09/08 and it was in perfect shape - no mud, no snow anywhere.

The guys at Chilli Pepper said there was still snow to contend with on Porcupine and that people doing it as an out and back from the bottom.

mtbr member
    As of 03/08- 03/10/08 Porc Rim the climb is snowed in it's a walk. The descent is wide open, no snow, wet or mud.
    Amasa back excellent, Jackson's great shape if a gbit difficult. Poison Spider gotta love all that sand. The Portal, well it's ridable if.....

Fruita: Horsethief is in great shape, as are the GJ lunch loops.
    I have one firm belief about the American political system, God is a Republican and Santa Claus is a Democrat P.J. O'Rourke

Wandervans
    The White Rim Road is fully open now, I just talked to canyonlands.
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smilycook
    The White Rim Road is fully open now, I just talked to canyonlands.
    Yep i talked to them this morning as well. I'll be out there tomorrow.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

mtbr member

It's all open....

Close the thread till next year.
    It's not an adventure until someone BLEEDS!

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    The La Sal stuff is still covered in snow.....

Most of Moab is ready though, I agree with that.
    NOAH SEARS

Members who have read this thread: 0