Moab top rides after Whole Enchilada and Slick Rock...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Moab top rides after Whole Enchilada and Slick Rock...

If you have a week in Moab and plan on riding:

1. Whole Enchilada
    2. Slick Rock

the first couple days, what would you do next?

It seems those 2 rides really stand out as the best but is there a clear 3rd, 4th or 5th ride people recommend?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    There's a sticky for this ... but ... I'll be nice and reply instead of shaming you on the internet. ( too much )

Capt Ahab stuff
    Moab Brand Trails
    Klondike Bluffs

rockstacker/jacksons ( check it - not for everyone )
    mag 7 ( get's some "meh's" if you read around )

2006 Yeti AS-X
    The Moab Brand trails are alot of fun.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by creepersteve View Post
    If you have a week in Moab and plan on riding:

1. Whole Enchilada
    2. Slick Rock

the first couple days, what would you do next?

It seems those 2 rides really stand out as the best but is there a clear 3rd, 4th or 5th ride people recommend?

Thanks
    Burro down should be first. Slick rock doesn't make top ten. I say do burro early on and then do it a couple more times since it gets better when you know it

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Do Mag 7. Skip slickrock.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    No love for Slickrock? For a first time visitor to the desert this must ranks as one of the most strikingly unique landscapes to experience. Good workout to boot.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Skip slick rock. Especially after doing twe.

I'd add Klondike bluffs to the list. Though I did not ride close to everything in moab. I will be back though

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Moab first timers should at least ride the practice loop once or twice. It is a truly unique trail. Good intro to slickrock riding too.

Klondike singletrack trails are great. I've been digging the newer North Klondike stuff.

The whole Amasa Back zone is incredible. I rode Hymasa for the first time today. Such a great addition.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Dead Horse Loop is incredible, but it's technically intermediate and easier. Fantastic ride for a MTB beginner, to get them hooked on this hobby. Climbs are also very short, very fulfilling ride. It's also 10 degrees cooler up there than down in Moab.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jan_nikolajsen View Post
    No love for Slickrock? For a first time visitor to the desert this must ranks as one of the most strikingly unique landscapes to experience. Good workout to boot.
    Ditto. The MOAB brand trails are nice, but geared more toward easy riding. The Amasa Back/Ahab combo is great...Sovereign and Klondike Bluffs would round it out, for me.

mtbr member
    Slickrock is certainly polarizing. If you haven't done it, do it. If you are reasonably fit, the loop can be done in 2 to 2.5 hours, leaving plenty of time for something else in the day.

For the record, I love Slickrock and try to ride it every time I'm down there. Many of my friends are very lukewarm on it. Form your own opinion about it.

mtbr member
    I don't like the Slickrock trail at all. But I agree that it is a unique Moab trail, and should be ridden at least once.

But I hate it when I go there w/ someone new and they are all geeked up to ride it ...
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    This is my current favorite ride in Moab:

Climb Hymasa to the top of Amassa back. Continue on road and do the Rockstacker Loop. Come back to the road (instead of descending Jackson's) and hit up Captain Ahab on the way back to car.

~17 miles or so, but it'll feel like more.

I can't believe that people are poo-pooing the Mag 7 as well. That ride (if done correctly) is incredible.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I love the Mag-7 area trails...but you won't see me on The Portal.

mtbr member
    duplicate post.
    Last edited by neilether; 08-25-2014 at 09:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KThaxton View Post
    I love the Mag-7 area trails...but you won't see me on The Portal.
    I was afraid of the Portal for a lot of years. Having done it now twice in the last 2 years, it's not nearly as bad as I had feared. I end up walking about 1/2 mile thru most of the exposure because I'm fairly wimpy when it comes to heights. It's the only way to end the Mag 7 in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Mag 7 - Gold Bar Singletrack (AKA dot) - Portal. I think I like it almost better than (or at least as well as) TWE.

So my three go-to/must do rides in Moab would be ....
    1. TWE
    2. Mag7-GB singletrack-Portal
    3. Amasa ( Or Hymasa haven't done it yet)-Rock Stacker- Jackson's (or Ahab).
    Last edited by KRob; 08-28-2014 at 11:08 AM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Loved the end of portal, walked the cliff face, and hiked a bike from Mag7 to portal getting lost along the way. Also love SlickRock but it gets shelved due to other "better" trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Mag 7 - Gold Bar Singletrack (AKA dot) - Portal. I think I like it almost better than (or at least as well as) TWE.
    ^ Yep. what he said.

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    This is my current favorite ride in Moab:

Climb Hymasa to the top of Amassa back. Continue on road and do the Rockstacker Loop. Come back to the road (instead of descending Jackson's) and hit up Captain Ahab on the way back to car.

~17 miles or so, but it'll feel like more.
    We did this ride after The Whole Enchilada a few months ago.

Excellent trail. Rockstacker was fun, but not as bad as the signs would make it sound.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    We did this ride after The Whole Enchilada a few months ago.

Excellent trail. Rockstacker was fun, but not as bad as the signs would make it sound.
    Other than that tough line just after the start, I can't recall Rockstacker being too bad the couple of times I've ridden it.

Glad to hear you rate it, I'll be hitting it on Thursday next week
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=6thElement;11410978

Glad to hear you rate it, I'll be hitting it on Thursday next week [/QUOTE]

You know what I'm talking about. Wish I were joining you.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    If you really want the official Slickrock experience, then go for it. It's a fine trail. But it is often crowded with scout troops and people who probably have no business being there (it does have some pretty technical spots). I just don't like it because it becomes so monotonous. After the first 2 miles, I'm wishing it would be over because it's just more of the same the whole way around. More often than not, I'll just ride the Practice Loop. It's got everything that the full loop has, just shorter, so I can ride it harder and be done faster.

If you're in the Brand Trails area north of town, Deadman's is a fun little loop. It's got a bit of technicality to it, but since you mentioned doing the Enchilada, you're most likely proficient. It's easier and much less abusive than the Enchilada, but still enough to have some good fun. Nothing is overly scary, and there aren't any mandatory airs or drops to deal with. It's just techy up and down rock crawling, mixed with some fun dirt trails. Reasonably short, and a lot of fun if the regular Brand Trails are a bit too easy.

And as others have said, Mag7 is great. It's a ways from town, so some people pay for a shuttle. Parts of it get a bit boring though, and I usually just ride the first section (Bull Run), then shuttle or pedal back up the dirt road to the car.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post

And as others have said, Mag7 is great. It's a ways from town, so some people pay for a shuttle. Parts of it get a bit boring though, and I usually just ride the first section (Bull Run), then shuttle or pedal back up the dirt road to the car.
    Talk about boring. Gemini is is a sand snooze fest. All the good stuff is between the end of bullrun and Potash road.

In regards to Slickrock. It's certainly unique. Nothing like it anywhere. It does get a bit boring after a while. Climbing with nuts on stem. Descending with nuts behind saddle. Repeat. Sort of like intervals. It's a great trail to do once.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Talk about boring. Gemini is is a sand snooze fest. All the good stuff is between the end of bullrun and Potash road.

In regards to Slickrock. It's certainly unique. Nothing like it anywhere. It does get a bit boring after a while. Climbing with nuts on stem. Descending with nuts behind saddle. Repeat. Sort of like intervals. It's a great trail to do once.
    Yeah, not sure why anyone would rather ride back up Gemini Bridges road just to avoid the lower portions of Mag 7. Plenty of fun to be had on those sections.

RE: Slick Rock trail. I haven't done it as a full loop in several years, but I've been taken on some fun "off the dot" alternatives by locals that would get me to go back again. I'll bet you know what I'm talking about jwind.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    [QUOTE=neilether;11408696]This is my current favorite ride in Moab:

how long did you ride this 17 mile loop neilether ?

we are planning to do this in mid sept

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Things are changing in the La Sals. A new Forest Service trail management plan closed some old obscure routes mostly used by die hards to link up epic rides. They will be missed, but not by many.

There is, on the other hand, being built many new miles of MTB specific trails. Beforehand nearly all the riding was on routes pioneered by other user groups, so this is definitely different.

It's a little difficult currently to fully comprehend how this geographically spread out effort will translate into 'big' rides mixing old and new, but things look promising.

Up until now almost all visitor's only experience with the mountains was the upper reaches of TWE. Maybe Moonlight. A few might have heard about Schumann. With the new activity this is bound to change, possibly putting the La Sals on the traveling mountain biker's map.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I would vote for North Klondike trails, Branded trails are fun and you can choose how many loops you do, and Mag-7 from the middle [ park at Gemini Bridges ] go up Getaway to Bull Run then down to the bottom and back up on single track. You ride basically a counter clockwise figure 8 loop, this eliminates a shuttle or boring drive over the hill from the main highway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by butchog View Post
    how long did you ride this 17 mile loop neilether ?

we are planning to do this in mid sept
    I've done it twice and both times took us between 3 and 3.5 hours. That includes brief excursions to the Amassa viewpoint and pothole arch as well as a couple regrouping breaks.

Your speed will clearly vary depending on skill and group dynamics.

Dr. Pepper drinker

So my three go-to/must do rides in Moab would be ....
    1. TWE
    2. Mag7-GB singletrack-Portal
    3. Amasa ( Or Hymasa haven't done it yet)-Rock Stacker- Jackson's (or Ahab).
    This top 3 is right on the money for those that love tech riding.

Mag 7 with the singletrack and Portal and The big Amasa figure 8 sit about dead even for me with TWE a step behind. UPS and LPS and Porc singletrack are all great, the rest doesn't wow me as much and I tend to hate the long Porc doubletrack.

Slickrock is definitely one of those ones worth doing once but I think I'd say just hit the practice loop and play around, learn a bit about the traction and carrying momentum, and save the energy for better rides. I'd rather ride Pipe Dream right in town over Slickrock.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    A note about hymasa, it's a nice steady, moderately techy climb. I preferred it over climbing the ledgy amasa back jeep road. Though going down the ledgy jeep road was a blast.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So, whilst on this subject, I'll be in town for my 8th (I think!) visit. TWE is my target as snow or injuries have scuppered all previous attempts. Hymasa/Pothole/Captain Ahab plus Mag 7/Portal will be rides 2 & 3 but I'll still have a couple of days to fill (one of which will be The Ribbon in GJ).
    So, my question is, Rabbit Valley singletrack better than the MOAB brand trails and worth the hours drive out to I 70...opinions please!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    You have a link for the Mag7-GB singletrack-Portal trail you recommend?

I did Mag7, thought the beginning couple sections were awesome, but was super disappointed after that and thought it was a waste getting the shuttle up there. I'm assuming I took a wrong turn or missed out on the last half of the ride?

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    This top 3 is right on the money for those that love tech riding.

Mag 7 with the singletrack and Portal and The big Amasa figure 8 sit about dead even for me with TWE a step behind. UPS and LPS and Porc singletrack are all great, the rest doesn't wow me as much and I tend to hate the long Porc doubletrack.

Slickrock is definitely one of those ones worth doing once but I think I'd say just hit the practice loop and play around, learn a bit about the traction and carrying momentum, and save the energy for better rides. I'd rather ride Pipe Dream right in town over Slickrock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by creepersteve View Post
    You have a link for the Mag7-GB singletrack-Portal trail you recommend?

I did Mag7, thought the beginning couple sections were awesome, but was super disappointed after that and thought it was a waste getting the shuttle up there. I'm assuming I took a wrong turn or missed out on the last half of the ride?
    Magnificent 7 Trail

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SixZeroSixOne View Post
    So, my question is, Rabbit Valley singletrack better than the MOAB brand trails and worth the hours drive out to I 70...opinions please!
    The Ribbon = Awesome. Make sure you link it to Free lunch and then Holy Cross.

MOAB Brand is much better than Rabbit Valley in my opinion. Rabbit valley is fun-ish if you're out there, but not as good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Rabbit Valley can be good [ Western rim trail ] but the Moab Brand trails are better with more single track.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SixZeroSixOne View Post
    So, whilst on this subject, I'll be in town for my 8th (I think!) visit. TWE is my target as snow or injuries have scuppered all previous attempts. Hymasa/Pothole/Captain Ahab plus Mag 7/Portal will be rides 2 & 3 but I'll still have a couple of days to fill (one of which will be The Ribbon in GJ).
    I really like the Klondike and North Klondike trails. You can put together a pretty solid ride out there. Better trails and more vert and mileage to be had than the Brand Trails IMHO.
    For a quickie, park at the north trailhead, climb up Megasteps and come back on Alaska and Homer.
    For a bigger day, park at the south trailhead by Baby Steps, climb up that and take EKG over to Megasteps, or continue up to UFO and that stuff then make your way over to the top of mega/Alaska. Mega steps is a fun descent too, but I've been digging Alaksa to Homer.
    then take Dino Flow back to the car.