Moab Thaw festival

Printable View

• 12-27-2019
    hesitationpoint
    Moab Thaw festival
    Is this festival worth attending? How good is the riding out there in early March? Looking at long term forecasts, looks kind of sketchy weatherwise.
  • 12-27-2019
    honkinunit
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hesitationpoint View Post
    Is this festival worth attending? How good is the riding out there in early March? Looking at long term forecasts, looks kind of sketchy weatherwise.

Its a blast, a lot more laid back than Outerbike or even the Halloween fest. It used to be mid-February, but they have moved it to mid-March. Unfortunately, the crowds start to kick in by then. Some colleges are on Spring Break by that time, so there will be a lot of people in town. Get reservations early if you plan on staying in a hotel. They are already starting to book up.

BTW, while their website lists the 2020 dates, the rest of the info on there is from 2019.
  • 12-30-2019
    hesitationpoint
    Thanks. I'm guessing that the Whole Enchilada won't be open in mid-march correct? How many of the trails will be open around that time and will I be able to get THE Moab experience? Or come back later in the year?
  • 12-30-2019
    the-one1
    TWE won't be entirely rideable until late June, early July if the snow season has been light. Commercial shuttles can't go to Burro until after July 1.

Best time for THE Moab expeience would be September to October. July and August will be too hot on the lower elevation. TWE is doable during the hotter months if you have !PLENTY! of water and electrolytes.
  • 12-30-2019
    hesitationpoint
    Good info. If I were to go in March, would it suck? Is it a total avoid?
  • 12-30-2019
    SkaredShtles
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hesitationpoint View Post
    Good info. If I were to go in March, would it suck? Is it a total avoid?

No. March could be great, could be nasty. It's a total roll-of-the-dice. Fortunately, it's the desert, so the chances of reasonable weather are *better* than nasty weather.

And you can still get the full "Moab" experience without TWE, IMO.

Just don't blame me if the weather is total $hit. :D
  • 12-30-2019
    hesitationpoint
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post

And you can still get the full "Moab" experience without TWE, IMO.
    :D

Thanks. That's exactly what I wanted to know.
  • 01-16-2020
    Alta Racks
    Moab Thaw is canceled for 2020