Moab in the summer- Mtbr.com

Jul 2003

Moab in the summer

Can I ride there in the summer or is the heat too much?

Brass Nipples!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveGT101
    Can I ride there in the summer or is the heat too much?
    You can do high elevation rides in the La Sals or do the lower elevation rides in the morning, late evening or at night. If you are passing through for some other reason, there is plenty of riding to make bringing a bike worthwhile.

If you are wanting to plan a once-in-a-lifetime trip to the Mecca of mountain biking, though, you'd be better off going in spring or fall. It's much more fun to do the more famous rides that time of year.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Jul 2003

thanks

What do you think is my best bet for a summer ride if I can go anywhere in the us? People have been telling me to check out snowmass in colorado.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

CB, Durango, Steamboat, Fruita, Moab

What do you think is my best bet for a summer ride if I can go anywhere in the us? People have been telling me to check out snowmass in colorado.
    How much time do you have?

Big Loop:

Crested Butte
    Durango
    Moab (be done before 11 AM then ride in the mountains)
    Fruita (be done before 11 AM then ride Grand Mesa)
    Aspen area
    Steamboat

Brass Nipples!
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit
    How much time do you have?

Big Loop:

Crested Butte
    Durango
    Moab (be done before 11 AM then ride in the mountains)
    Fruita (be done before 11 AM then ride Grand Mesa)
    Aspen area
    Steamboat
    I think honkinunit's suggestions are good. I can personally vouch for the first 4.

In areas I'm more familiar with, you can find several days worth of good riding around Brian Head including the Virgin River Rim trail and Red Canyon near Bryce.

Where are you starting from and how much time do you have?
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Jul 2003

Thanks

We have the whole summer However, we'll probably only stay on the road for 3-6 weeks. We'll probably head straight out to Colorado from NJ and bike some of the trails you suggested for a few weeks. Do you recommend we camp out at these destinations? We're looking to do this as economical as possible. I was hoping to just find a dirt cheap hostel for a few weeks.

I was told about Crested Butte and we'll definitely check that place out. We're looking for rides with spectacular views and atypical conditions from NJ. I'm tired of riding in the woods. My friend and I are both experienced riders, but we don't need trails with extreme downhills or freeriding.

Brass Nipples!
    We have the whole summer However, we'll probably only stay on the road for 3-6 weeks. We'll probably head straight out to Colorado from NJ and bike some of the trails you suggested for a few weeks. Do you recommend we camp out at these destinations? We're looking to do this as economical as possible. I was hoping to just find a dirt cheap hostel for a few weeks.

I was told about Crested Butte and we'll definitely check that place out. We're looking for rides with spectacular views and atypical conditions from NJ. I'm tired of riding in the woods. My friend and I are both experienced riders, but we don't need trails with extreme downhills or freeriding.
    There will be lots of free or low-cost camping at most of these spots. I'd bring my camping gear and camp when I could, then spring for a room once in a while when camping got old.