Moab suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Cool-blue Rhythm Moab suggestions

Hey guys,

I'm returning to Utah for a little trip in a couple of weeks (Im from England) and I'm after some advice on trails to ride in Moab. I hope you don't mind me asking for advice here

Ideally Id like to do the full whole enchilada trail, but I would imagine the top section is still likely to be under snow?

I've ridden UPS to Negro Bill TH a couple of times now which is great fun, but would like to try something new this time around.

What might be a good 20 mile ish trail to go and explore?

Thanks in advance!
    Cy

Your Best Friend
    You could do the whole Mag 7. That'd keep you busy. I'd guess that with our low snow pack this year, you just may be able to do TWE by then.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    You may want to follow this thread for TWE info. My guess is that Hazard will be as far up as you will get a shuttle, and maybe only up to Kokopelli. It is still early in the year of high elevations.

Mag 7 is always fun but how much of it you ride depends on ability. The upper trails are mostly intermediate.

What is your ability in rocks? 20 miles can be done almost anywhere by connecting trails but you have to be strong to ride 20 in many places.

Desert Seeker
    For a combination of tech, climbing and descending, the trails in the Amasa Back area and the whole of Mag 7 are good options. For more mellow, you can get pretty close to 20 miles at Navajo Rocks. The Klondike system is over 20 miles as well.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I would second the Amasa Back suggestion - do all the trails up there and you've got a nice day of riding. And IMO it's the best riding in the Grand Valley.

mtbr member
    Mag 4? Starting at top of Gemini Bridges Rd. New singletrack at the intersection of Gem Br. and Canyonlands (313?) Rd. Take that to Bull Run->Arth's Corner->Little Canyon->Gold Bar. Do first mile of Gold Bar to Bride Canyon overlook and turn around to bail onto lower Gemini Bridges Rd. 3-4 miles out to 191.
    We did it as shuttle and was one of the best rides I've ever done. 3-4 hours with lots of breaks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for the knowledge share, guys and gals
    I'd like to hope I'm an intermediate rider so will look into the suggestions!

mtbr member
    RetroG is right on, bull and arth's are top notch trails In the mag series. Most on exposed rock and some steps, but not super difficult.

all of goldbar and portal take a little more commitment, but lead to an epic day. Much more technical on top with big steps/drops. Took us about 5 hrs with stops and pictures.

TWE opened up to hazard shuttle Saturday, we rode on Friday from kokopelli.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    I haven't tried this yet but drive down Gemini Bridges from 313 to around Little Canyon then ride up the road or climb the single track to the right, forgot the name this evening after a weekend of hero dirt rides at Tahoe, and drop down Bull Run, etc.

I've gone up the road from 191 in a rental Jeep a few times but as I recall the road is drivable with most cars down to the bridges. There is a mother of all sand traps below the bridges.

This option saves the slug of a ride out to 191. You may want to do the ride twice with this option. We're doing this the next time we're in Moab, probably Sept.

mtbr member
    You can pretty much get anything from 313 down to the parking for the bridges themselves. Much further and you'll need high clearance, and 4wd not a bad idea either. The climbing trail to the right is Getaway, and it's a pretty pleasant climb. Supposedly they've extended both Getaway and Bull Run up to 313 for even more trail. Before Getaway ended about a mile below the Bull run start leaving you with about a mile on Gemini bridges road.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Thanks johnyspoke for the info. Nice to have the extended trails! The upper trails of Mag 7 are intermediate heaven with plenty of challenges but nothing too wild like say Portal.

We're in Moab two weeks a year and can't keep up with the new trails opened. About 15 years ago I taught my wife to MTB on the Slick Rock Trail because the alternatives were chewed up 4WD roads. Love all the options now!

mtbr member
    I get down there 3-4 times a year and still can't keep up with all they're building. It's a nice problem to have!
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......