Moab spring trip best timing?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Moab spring trip best timing?

We're planning a one week trip out to Moab in the spring. Any advice on the best timing to avoid he crowded season, but with bearable temps? Thinking early April...

Thanks!

mtbr member
    April is the ideal time for Moab, just call the hotels to see how booked they are for the weekends you're considering. Just choose the weekend with the most vacancy. The hotels also have a calendar of events that you can ask about when making your decision. You probably want to avoid the jeep safari the most, the town is crowded with trailers and the all the loud traffic is annoying.

If you need any bike repairs or advice on rides, Chili Pepper has the best staff in town.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Easter Jeep Safari is April 8th-16Th,hell,make your trip overlap and bum a ride with some jeepers,I'd love to get my Unimog out there,just gotta get a big nice tow vehicle that'll drag it across the country.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Jeep Safari

Jeep Week is a very aquired taste. Either you can get along with loud Jeeps and loud people, or you can't. I went up to Potato Salad Hill last year and watched people tackling the obstacle. I came away with a feeling of awe, both for the capability of the rigs, and the sheer idiocy of some of the people. Think "Dukes of Hazzard", tripled.

It is really tough to find a place to stay in town, if that is what you are looking at. Try ASAP.

If you are camping, the close to town spots are gone early. You can find a place far out if you know where to look. I'm amazed at where people end up camping that week, like out in the middle of the cactus up by Ken's Lake.

If you have a place to stay, it really isn't that bad for riding. The Jeeps all have their trail runs, but they go in big groups. Get a Jeep Safari schedule and avoid the big runs, and you'll be fine. Otherwise, go after Jeep Week is over.

Quote Originally Posted by DMay
    Easter Jeep Safari is April 8th-16Th,hell,make your trip overlap and bum a ride with some jeepers,I'd love to get my Unimog out there,just gotta get a big nice tow vehicle that'll drag it across the country.

mtbr member
    I have been to Moab Feb, March and April. I kinda prefer late March, less people, the weather has always been nice and hotels are cheap. The upper trails (UPS) might be a little damp depending on the snow packbut thats when I'm goin'.

BSG
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Stay away from jeep week. Moab trails are mostly jeep trails. Who wants to ride with a million jeeps spuing fumes in your face. Late april is my favorite time of year. Highs in the 70's and the days are getting long. really anytime between mid march and mid may is great. Crowds seem to form on weekends but during the week it can be slow
    bsg

mtbr member

Moab trip?

I'm thinking of visiting the first week in May. Is that to late?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jollybeggar
    I'm thinking of visiting the first week in May. Is that to late?
    Not at all. The temps. are still low enough not to bake you and usualy the rainy weather has slowed down by then. Late May is when things realy start to heat up.
    `..><((((>`..`..`...><((((>`. .`..`...><((((> `.. `..

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

springtime in Moab

Sometimes I go late March. Weather can be warm or cool but the bonus is that you're able to hit the trails BEFORE Jeep Safari. The trails have had time to settle down with the winter wetness and haven't been torn up bigtime by the jeepers. BTW, I get along fine with the four wheelers I encounter the rest of the year there, it's just the huge crowds during JS I wouldn't enjoy.
    May can heat up real fast and the bugs start hatching around the first week of May, if avoiding the little black flies is a concern of yours. They always seem to head right into my ears for some reason. Late May can be high 90s. Next year I'm going last week in March.

Members who have read this thread: 0