Moab: Sovereign/Salt Wash or Amasa Back?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Moab: Sovereign/Salt Wash or Amasa Back?

I am making a list of the trails to ride in Moab this summer. So far, I have LPS/Porcupine, Slickrock, Poison Spider/Portal, but I need a fourth trail for our forth day.

So, I am thinking either Amasa Back, or Sovereign Single track with Salt Wash. I have not rode either of these, so I am looking for the best trail. We are experienced XC riders.

Thanks.

Ride and Smile
    Change LPS/Porcupine to Burro/Hazard/UPS/LPS/Porcupine and go as high as weather allows. Then for the 4th day-do it again.
    And rent a six inch bike for all the days

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by axolotl
    Change LPS/Porcupine to Burro/Hazard/UPS/LPS/Porcupine and go as high as weather allows. Then for the 4th day-do it again.
    And rent a six inch bike for all the days
    Hey, I am happy to change up that ride! I thought I read something about UPS being closed? We are going in July, so I am sure snow won't be a problem. Are there shuttles up to Hazard county?

Ride and Smile
    Yes there are shuttles. But don't go there in July. Go to the high country in July. Go to Moab now or in the fall.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yes there are shuttles. But don't go there in July. Go to the high country in July. Go to Moab now or in the fall.
    The plan was to go in March, but I crashed and broke my thumb. Some of us have gone to Moab in July before. It is hot, but bearable if you have enough water.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Dump Slickrock.
    Then you can do Amasa and Sovereign.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hmm, temping. We have guys in our group that have never ridden it, and are eager to try.

Clyde
    Quote Originally Posted by Daleyridin
    Dump Slickrock.
    Then you can do Amasa and Sovereign.

+1

If you have to do Slickrock do it at night. IMO after an hour it's old news.
    09 Ibis Mojo - All Mountain Moab Edition

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Wow, Moab in July. Makes me all dehydrated just thinking about it. I guess if a guy lived on the surface of the sun it might not seem too unbearably hot in Moab in July. Still...
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Wow, Moab in July. Makes me all dehydrated just thinking about it. I guess if a guy lived on the surface of the sun it might not seem too unbearably hot in Moab in July. Still...
    Ha! We are from California and are used to riding in the hot summers. But, we are going to throw in some riding in the La Sals.

Talentless Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by nnhubbard
    Ha! We are from California and are used to riding in the hot summers. But, we are going to throw in some riding in the La Sals.
    One way to beat the heat is to ride at 5 AM. In July I would ride and camp in the La Sals. Epic and cooler. It gets crazy hot with the heat radiating out of the rocks after 11 until dusk lower down.
    Sierra Club Sucks

mtbr member
    I'm from MS where it gets super hot and is super humid. The humidity makes it twice as bad. I was in Moab in early August and was fine. Ride early, ride late, and make sure to carry plenty of water, sunscreen, etc. I didn't do any riding at noon. Usually tried to be done by 10 or 11. For all you weenies who complain about the heat, try living in MS in July where it is just as hot and has 100% humidity. Moab was much easier to deal with. That being said, you can get in over your head without proper planning so be careful with the heat.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

More Chasmism
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckie33
    I'm from MS where it gets super hot and is super humid. The humidity makes it twice as bad. I was in Moab in early August and was fine. Ride early, ride late, and make sure to carry plenty of water, sunscreen, etc. I didn't do any riding at noon. Usually tried to be done by 10 or 11. For all you weenies who complain about the heat, try living in MS in July where it is just as hot and has 100% humidity. Moab was much easier to deal with. That being said, you can get in over your head without proper planning so be careful with the heat.

I think the bigger issue is the amount of water (and NaCl) that the desert heat sucks out of you in the summertime, especially with reflective radiance of the sun off of the rock. The Moab area sees death-by-ATV almost monthly (from trauma) in Spring and Fall, but the only death-by-bike examples I can think of (with few exceptions) are from heat exposure from May through September.

It is impossible to keep up with your fluid and salt needs riding on the low desert trails in the heat of the day in July. It really can be a recipe for disaster.

hfly

Ride and Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by hfly
    I think the bigger issue is the amount of water (and NaCl) that the desert heat sucks out of you in the summertime, especially with reflective radiance of the sun off of the rock. The Moab area sees death-by-ATV almost monthly (from trauma) in Spring and Fall, but the only death-by-bike examples I can think of (with few exceptions) are from heat exposure from May through September.

It is impossible to keep up with your fluid and salt needs riding on the low desert trails in the heat of the day in July. It really can be a recipe for disaster.

hfly
    Hot desert riding is tricky. I've had serious trouble with fluid and fuel management in as little as 100-105F. Learning how to manage riding in heat is serious. Summer in Moab can be very ridable. Sometimes weather will stay very close to 100 or less.

The locals I know leave down if they can or ride in the La Sals if they can't during the hot months. If Chuckie says he can handle it and I'm a weenie cause I can't or won't or both, then he is more bike rider than I want to be (or just foolish). Either way it doesn't matter. I'll be listening to my friends ***** about the heat in the Wasatch when it's only 80 F and smile and tell them that it doesn't ever get hot here. Or tell them to ride faster cause it's cooler.

mtbr member
    If Chuckie says he can handle it and I'm a weenie cause I can't or won't or both, then he is more bike rider than I want to be (or just foolish). Either way it doesn't matter. I'll be listening to my friends ***** about the heat in the Wasatch when it's only 80 F and smile and tell them that it doesn't ever get hot here. Or tell them to ride faster cause it's cooler.
    Come on guys, I'm just poking fun at you a little I know it can be very dangerous if the proper precautions and planning aren't done. I'm just saying you can do it and be fine. Ride early and beat the heat.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Every year somebody posts here saying they'll be "going to Moab in July!" Like it's some good idea they've decided to try. Why go when it's low 80s, let's go when it's 108!

Replies from locals are like the above: use caution or just don't do it. Then the next guy, who rides in summer heat where he's from says, hey, it won't be a problem. Like he knows what it's gonna be like for the next guy who thinks it's hot in his area in the summer (like high 90s maybe). One guy last year was coming from some high mountain town in Colorado and thought he knew heat. He more or less refused to acknowledge it might be problematical, riding in Moab summer heat. And so it goes.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

Members who have read this thread: 0