mtbr member

MOAB: Snow and Passability

Trying to plan a spring trip. Our highest point will be Burro to ride Whole Enchilada. What is the earliest in the year Whole Enchilada is 100% passable?

TIA
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

mtbr member
    No one can answer that. It varies
    Denver, CO

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Our snowfall in the La Sals is usually way above average, last year I don't think shuttles started until early June. I think Kokopelli down would be a better goal in the Spring.

mtbr member
    It appears this question CAN be answered!

Thanks Sam.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    I've been told many times by the Moab bike shops and shuttles that the USFS doesn't open the road to Burro Pass TH until the end of June or early July. If you want to ride The Whole Enchilada, Burro Pass to the highway, then September is generally better. The pass is open and you won't get cooked on the hot rocks of Porky in the afternoon in the summer. It can often be rode just before Outerbike around Oct 1 and this year it was open at times all through October. Sometimes even November. You shouldn't plan on it though.

We've rode Moab in June but we were on the trails at dawn and off by about 11 AM. Usually we can sneak in a "warm" evening ride. 105F in town feels a lot hotter out on the rocks.

The Outerbike bike demo festival is in March and October in Moab. Fun social event and more than enough great new model bikes to ride. This year I went to both. The March event is smaller than October but plenty to do there.

Also the nearby Fruita Fat Tire Festival is really fun and good riding around there.

I'm spending a month in the spring and all of October in mostly Moab but also Fruita and the Zion NP area. I'm addicted to riding those rocks :-)
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

Your Best Friend
    If you want some great spring riding and a fun atmosphere, look into the Hurricane mountain bike festival. It's put on by Over The Edge in March.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkerfiveo View Post
    It appears this question CAN be answered!

Thanks Sam.
    Answering your original question... I'm sure it's been ridden before June at it's "EARLIEST". Snowpack does vary.

Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Good info JMP. And agreed, I've basically decided that a fall trip is a better idea. I've ridden dirtbikes in Moab twice. Once in Late March and once in May. March was great because I love cold weather riding, but some stuff was closed for snow. May was nice as well, but considerably warmer. Seems like late September or early October is a popular time to MTB so we'll probably aim for that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkerfiveo View Post
    Good info JMP. And agreed, I've basically decided that a fall trip is a better idea. I've ridden dirtbikes in Moab twice. Once in Late March and once in May. March was great because I love cold weather riding, but some stuff was closed for snow. May was nice as well, but considerably warmer. Seems like late September or early October is a popular time to MTB so we'll probably aim for that.
    The secret is out!

There's a reason there are so many green license plates in Moab in October.
    Denver, CO

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    The secret is out!

There's a reason there are so many green license plates in Moab in October.
    Not just CO. Lots of folks from Alberta! Of course us Californians. In previous years the trails got lonely by mid-October. That didn't happen this year. While there were certainly less riders at the end of Oct then the last week of Sept the trails were far from deserted. And the weather was perfect! Hazard down to the highway was open.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.