Moab - slickrock- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Moab - slickrock

I'm headed to Moab in May - I'm an beginner to intermediate rider. Is the slickrock trail too hard for me to consider doing it?
    Also, can you recommend other trails in the Moab area that have large expanses of slickrock for one to play on?
    Last May I was there and rode up and back to Gemini bridges from below. That was a great ride, but I'd like more singletrack/slickrock.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Slickrock will be fine - when in doubt hike a bike.

Rohloff
    I went to Moab a couple of years ago as a beginner/intermediate rider. Slick Rock was a little above my skill level. I'd like to try it now that I've had more experience. That said, Moab was great and you'll find lots to ride. I found lots of slick rock, but I never found quite the expanse of rock that you'll find at Slick Rock. Go talk to the guys in the bike shops. They were very helpful.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Try the Bar M trails north of town. Lots of easy to moderate slickrock.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    cool, thanks.
    Since Slickrock will probably be a shitshow, I'd rather find some "quieter" riding...any other areas to consider?

mtbr member

Slickrock

The Slickrock Trail was the first off-road ride that I ever did on my very first, fully-rigid, mountain bike. I had a BIG smile on my face the whole ride! As was already said above, if there's a section that's questionable (and there will be many), get off the bike and walk. Otherwise you'll do fine. Your bike-handling skills will amp-up an order of magnitude by the time you're done with the ride.

As far as other Slickrock areas go, there are some nice expanses on top of Poison Spider Mesa and out on the Monitor and Merrimac Trail. Bartlett Wash has some fantastic slickrock- It's Entrada sandstone as oppossed to the Navajo sandstone of the Slickrock Trail. It has a different character. Riding Bartlett Wash is as close as you'll ever come to surfing on your bike. It's like a huge slickrock playground.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks so much!

FWIW, I should have searched first before posting, and have found the link at the top to be great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Bar M with the Rockin A loop offers some slickrock.

The slickrock practice loop offers a shorter experience.

It's true that you should walk anything you are not comfortable riding on the Slickrock trail, but without some basic skills that can turn into ALOT of walking (and most of it will seem like it is uphill.)

Desert Seeker
    Don't forget about Klondike Bluffs, which is an out-and-back ride. It is technically easier than the Slickrock Trail, but a big portion of that ride is on Slickrock and is a blast coming back down. Also, if you are going to do the Slickrock Trail, do the Practice Loop and see how you feel before going out to the main trail. Enjoy!

Members who have read this thread: 1