mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Moab - Sept 12th mid week arrival

Hello, me a few buddies are heading to Moab for a midweek ride arriving Sept 12th.

Looking to experience not only the trails but also the outdoor culture / folks in the city.

From peoples experience would we be better to book a private site or go with a BLM site? The fear is we don;t get a site and have to worry about not getting one.

Does anyone have any recommendations as we are only there for 3 days and want to experience the culture and the trails as much as possible.

as well would you recommend a tour guide for riding our just go out on your own?

sorry for all the stupid questions and i'm certain i will have more.

mtbr member
    I've never not been able to find a camp spot around Moab. Imo the blm sites are more enjoyable. I guess Moab has culture, 99% to 100% tourist oriented but the town does have a unique vibe. I don't think Moab requires a guide to ride the classics, no. You may want to use a shuttle service for some of the rides and they can square you away on any route finding.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If you're heading there mid week, you'll most likely find a camp site. Sand flats has lots of sites, 120 sites over 9 campgrounds.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks for the insights... I will just get a BLM when we arrive...

I was thinking the culture was more the biking piece being around like minded folks and as you say likely a better word the 'vibe'

mtbr member
    Everybody is there to have a good time for shure. I don't know how much of the tourists on any given day are mtn bikers but it aint much. I'd guess 3%? Sandflats is usually more moto guys but some mtn bikers. Camping up by the brand trails or klondike bluffs might be more mtn biker oriented neighboors. Either way riding moab never disappoints.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    All of Whalenards advice is spot on....the best culture in Moab is at "Milt's Stop & Eat".

Most people in town are tourists looking to see Arches & Canyonlands National Park, the next biggest group is off roaders whether that be Jeeps, UTV's or ATV's. I do like to stop at all the bike shops just to see what's what. Poison Spider is by far my favorite shop there.
    Last edited by k2rider1964; 07-05-2017 at 07:31 PM.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I'm looking forward to if for sure... I will likely visit the shop as well and pick up a few shirts.

Can't wait..

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    I've riding Moab for about 15 years, two weeks a year to start and now two months.

The best MTB "culture" is at the trailheads and on the trails. I've stayed at the hostel, RV park cabins and camps, and some campgrounds. Ate at most of the restaurants that have bars. Now I live out of my van at the trailheads then park in the desert north of town at night. Besides the trails and trailheads the BLM campgrounds would be the best choice. However, it can be a struggle getting them in the high season, even mid-week. The volume of visitors to Moab is rising.

Really hard to meet MTBers at the restaurant bars. Moab Brewery is the more likely place but I mostly meet tourists there. Some of the others have mostly oil guys and moto. MTB groups sit at tables and don't socialize with others.

Locals aren't going to spend time with you. This is a town where the population (5,000+) goes up like 10x in the high season. I was there for a Memorial Day weekend once and locals said the population was close to 100,00 and staying as far away as Green River and Fruita. They see enough tourists. I've been going there long enough to be recognized and know people, but you will be just another tourist.

A great way to meet other riders is to book a multi-day tour. Western Spirit is a wonderful bunch of folks so check their site for options. Quality organization.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

Moderator Moderator
    Moab is a former uranium mining boomtown that is now a tourism boomtown. It's in Utah, and a remote part of UT, at that.

What I'm getting at is that Moab has no discernible "culture" that you can appreciate. It's a super fun place and I love spending time there, but that's because of the terrain, not the local culture. Don't get me wrong - the locals are fine people. But they are just normal small-town UT people, which means they are nice and about as interesting as watching paint dry.

Camp up north of town (tons of places) and you'll meet fun like-minded folks.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Moab ain't no city.

Honestly, the true Moab locals are more interested in hunting, fishing, and complaining about tourists than they are about them silly bike riders. Don't they know they can get an ATV for that?

The transplants are more about gardening, volunteering, going to Moonflower, the MARC and Star Hall, and complaining about Bear's Ears.

The suburban tourists are about taking selfies in front of the Arches entry sign, which BTW now has a dedicated selfie pull-over lane.

In between, you have Jeeps, UTVs, ATV's, motorcycles, German and Chinese tour groups (Germans on Harleys being followed by sag vans, Chinese on tour buses), rock climbers, river people, base jumpers, hikers, and a couple of mountain bike riders for good measure.

Culture? Just remember the liquor store opens late, closes early, and isn't open at all on Sunday. Oh, and leave your weed at home, since minor amounts net a felony charge in Utah.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Fruita, CO may have more of a mountain biking culture. I meet other riders at The Hot Tomato and Copper Club rather frequently. Very small town and easy to meet people.

If you really want to hang out with MTBers then attending the bike festivals is the way to go. Outerbike in Moab is the first of October and three days of MTB on steroids. I've met great folks while standing in line at 7 AM waiting to get into the venue and over lunch and later, beers.

Also the Fruita, Hurricane, and Sedona Fat Tire Festivals.

Demoing bikes is very social and as cultural as an evening of Mozart at the Hapsburg Winter Palace in Vienna. (Well, something like that with enough beer.)

In Moab go to my buddy Eric at the Twisted Sisters Cafe on the main street. He works the bar, wife is a co-owner in the restaurant. Eric is all moto but loves to shoot action shots with his GoPro and can tell you about places to ride outside of the normal areas. He's cool but his wife is always giving him stares that mean quit BS'ing and get back to work.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.