mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Moab Rocks Stage Race

My wife and I were looking for a new destination race and just signed-up for Moab Rocks 2019. Now, I'm wondering exactly what we are in for!
    We both have many many years of XC racing experience (read... we are really old). We are both pretty good at technical stuff, but the bar is pretty low where we live. (read... the trails in our area are pretty easy). We've both ridden Gooseberry Mesa and have few issues there. I've only ridden briefly in Moab and do not know the trails. My only ride was at Klondike Bluffs... (Jurrasic, Dino-Flow and EKG) and I did not find those trails to be too difficult.
    We'll both be on a Specialized Epics (FS but with limited travel).
    While the routes appear to have some long techy descents, they also seem to have some long climbs. (Not looking to rent an AM bike).

Any insights on this race? Thanks!
    TTUB - Ventura County California

Formerly of Kent

Moab Rocks Stage Race

Grid rear tire, 120mm front end, short travel dropper. 2.35s are nice, big knobs not necessary at all.

I havenít done the race but Iíve done a good amount of riding on two of the three trail systems it uses.

Itís rough but itís not overly technical, if that makes sense. Hard on the body, but there arenít a lot of surprises. Hard to explain until you see it. And, a lot of the proper lines in the technical bits have a black streak of rubber burnt onto them.

The hardest part, for me, is trying to find exactly where to go when climbing some of the open rock faces. In the wrong light, itís really hard to see the white paint marks. Particularly on a trail like Getaway, heading up (west), with the white/gray rock there. Moab and St. George are two of the few places where I have to brake when going uphill so I can get my bearings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Your Best Friend
    If you can ride Goose, you can ride there. You'll be fine. Don't overthink it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    The hardest part, for me, is trying to find exactly where to go when climbing some of the open rock faces. In the wrong light, itís really hard to see the white paint marks.
    If you see white paint you're on the wrong trail. Motorized trails in Moab use white paint; bicycle trails use colored paint (color depends on the trail, so when two intersect and then split, you can follow the color you started on).

The race is run as a typical enduro - so your climbing time doesn't matter at all, get lost a few times and there's no difference. Only the downhill times count. The course is (or was in the past) at Klondike, but on the trails that head east from Dino-Flow up the hill and back down at speed. Descents aren't especially technical at a normal pace but are harder at race speed.

I'm sure you'd be able to do it, but if you didn't do Alaska/Megasteps/Babysteps while up there, the terrain is very different from Dino-Flow. The race is aimed more at a 160mm bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sunderland56 View Post
    The race is run as a typical enduro - so your climbing time doesn't matter at all,
    Respectfully, I don't think this is still the case. The website bills this clearly as an XC race and there is no mention anywhere in the Racer Guide about timed segments or Enduro format.

I've only got 100mm of travel... so I need the climbing to count!

Thanks all for the feedback!
    TTUB - Ventura County California

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by sunderland56 View Post
    If you see white paint you're on the wrong trail. Motorized trails in Moab use white paint; bicycle trails use colored paint (color depends on the trail, so when two intersect and then split, you can follow the color you started on).

The race is run as a typical enduro - so your climbing time doesn't matter at all, get lost a few times and there's no difference. Only the downhill times count. The course is (or was in the past) at Klondike, but on the trails that head east from Dino-Flow up the hill and back down at speed. Descents aren't especially technical at a normal pace but are harder at race speed.

I'm sure you'd be able to do it, but if you didn't do Alaska/Megasteps/Babysteps while up there, the terrain is very different from Dino-Flow. The race is aimed more at a 160mm bike.
    Moab Rocks is a three day XC stage race.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TTUB View Post
    Respectfully, I don't think this is still the case. The website bills this clearly as an XC race and there is no mention anywhere in the Racer Guide about timed segments or Enduro format.
    Huh, you're right. Either they changed or there's an enduro event with almost the same route.

In any case, I'd practice big chunky dowhills, and think about flat tire prevention.