MOAB rides- Mtbr.com

Thread: MOAB rides

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

MOAB rides

Hi,
    I am planning a 4 day mtb trip in Moab starting 4/28.
    Our current plan is to do 3 days at Moab - slick rock, porcupine rim and Sovereign , plus one day at Fruita.
    First, I would appreciate any comments on this plan - are we missing any great trains in the area ?
    Second - I understand there are many trails in Fruita - any specific recommendation ?

Last but not least - we are planning to ride with Solfun - Does anyone have any experience with them and can share the goods and the bads

Thanks, Dror

dwt
    mtbr member
    If you can only ride 3 trails at Moab, I would recommend these 3 in this order:

1) Slick Rock, because it's by far the least technical but is tough on the legs and lungs, so is a good warm up. Plus, how can you go to Moab and say you skipped Slick Rock? Not on your 1st trip anyway - though not unlikely on your 2nd;

2) Amasaback, which is an awesome out and back where you do a technical climb, eat lunch on ledge with a gorgeous view of the valley, and then fly back down and try to clean the whole thing you just almost, but didn't quite, clean going up. There is also a short entrance section which is more technical than the main trail. If you clean that going down, then you'll rule the rest of the trail. If you clean that going back up, you may qualify as an honorary local;

3) Porcupine Rim, because it's among the best trails anywhere that you'll ever ride, and if you do it first you'll be spoiled. Best two options: take the shuttle all the way up to Burro Pass and do the Whole Enchilada; or, for shorter ride, eliminating a brutal climb on one side of the mtn. (which even many of the locals have to walk parts of due to altitude) and a series 180 degree switchbacks with 3 foot drops on the other (which I walked); shuttle to Hazard County. There are only 2 or 3 or 4 sections (memory doesn't serve) on the upper and lower Rim which only the local animals and bike gods can clean. The rest is a mix of single track and old mining roads, moderately to very technical, but doable for most int. - expert riders. Though you may have to do a few do-overs here and there.

Bike shop pick: my group had better luck with the folks at Chili Pepper than Poison Spider. I'm not talking about renting bikes - we brought our own - I'm talking about fixing, replacing, and tweaking parts you messed up on the trails.

Beer: any and all the microbrews on tap at Moab Brewery.

Haven't been to Fruita - yet. Report back once you do it
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

MOAB rides - cont

Thanks dwt , it sounds exciting from the way you describe it

- heard anything about solfun ?

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt

3) Porcupine Rim, Best two options: take the shuttle all the way up to Burro Pass and do the Whole Enchilada ...shuttle to Hazard County.
    In April?

Yeah good luck with that. The La Sals have better coverage than most of Summit County right now. You'd be better off on skis.

Picture Unrelated
    Fruita was nice, but I had more fun in Grand Junction. Great local shops with great maps will take you to anything you want. I was a fan of Holy Cross and Free Lunch, but so many good trails up there. Check out Youtube and you'll be able to search videos of every trail you can think of in GJ and Fruita
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by athalliah
    In April?
    Yeah good luck with that. The La Sals have better coverage than most of Summit County right now. You'd be better off on skis.
    End of April. Ya never know till you get there.

To OP, this how Chile Pepper describes it:

Burro Pass Down: (also known as the Whole Enchilada) The best ride in Moab and definitely in the top 5 in the U.S. Make sure you have lots of time, food, water, and energy. This ride will take it out of you, but it is so worth it. You descend over 7000 ft. in approximately 32 miles. This ride combines 7 trails to make for an epic ride! Amazing views, technical, roots, rocks, creek crossings, fast flowing singeltrack, ledgy drops and 4 separate eco-systems. If you are an avid rider and would consider yourself at least at an intermediate riding level then this is a must do. Snow and weather dependent, this ride is usually completely open from late April through late September and sometimes even into late October.
    http://www.chilebikes.com/trails.html

Definitely recommended if it's open and the snow is gone. But agreed, it would be a huge pain climbing and descending the summit if the trails still have snow. Of course, I sort of doubt they would shuttle you up there if it was buried.

frejwilk

Seasons for Enchilada

I think that date from Chile Pepper must be a typo. I'd be surprised if they didn't mean UPS/LPS open in April.

I have never seen Burro Pass open in April. I don't remember ever seeing it open in May even. Burro Pass usually becomes rideable in June. Hazard County is often rideable in May (but the road to shuttle it is often not open until late May). The Kokopelli spur usually isn't even rideable until May. LPS and UPS may be rideable in April, but are usually not accessible from the loop road due to wet clay until May (ie you might be able to ride up from Sand Flats rd).

The above is what I'd expect to see during average years. It's obviously not that average this year.

FW

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frejwilk
    The above is what I'd expect to see during average years. It's obviously not that average this year. FW
    I was there in September - which is a great time to be there. In April, If the OP will miss out on the "extensions" of Porcupine Rim up to at least Hazard County, if not Burro Pass, that's really a shame.

Of course, in April who's in shape to climb much of the front side of Burro Pass, anyway

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drorbaron
    Hi,
    I understand there are many trails in Fruita - any specific recommendation ?
    Hard to make recommendations without knowing what kind of riding you want to do. Here's the basic overview.

The Fruita/Grand Junction area has three "main" trail systems. There are other areas I won't get since on your first trips you would probably be best served hitting one of the main areas.

18rd (Fruita) - Fast flowy singletrack, not technical (other than a little bit of Chutes & Ladders and Zippity do dah). A blast if you want to fly down hills and rip around corners. It's not for everyone but always puts a smile on my face!

Kokopelli Trails (Loma/Mack.. just west of Fruita) - Variety of trails from beginner to advanced. Numerous great options like Mary's Loop, Horethief Bench, Moore Fun, Troy Built, etc....

Lunch Loops (Grand Junction) - More technical in general. Great trails. Often overlooked by people heading to the area. Holy Cross, Free Lunch/Pucker up, The Ribbon, so many great trails here. If you want jumps & drops, or more technical riding this is probably where you want to go.

Pretty good website for GJ/Fruita info, it's missing some newer trails but still my favorite.
    http://www.gjmountainbiking.com/

Members who have read this thread: 0