Moab riders and knowledgeable- Mtbr.com

Jul 2005

Moab riders and knowledgeable

I am making a trip out to CO and UT during the first few weeks of March. I ride a lot of downhill and "Freeride" though the people I ride with and not about to get airtime or ride super steep gnar. I really would like to ride some really awesome stuff seeing how I am making the treck to Moab. I want to know if there are some trails that have good climbs and nice steep long downs along with some stuff along the trail to hit and pick some lines. I have seen some awesome shots from moab. I really like the looks of Amasa, Bartlett, Slickrock, porcupine rim, etc... Where should I go to be able to play and still have available mild lines for my companions? I would love to ride trails with different lines, mild/moderate and then sweet lines(fast/steep or both) Any input is appreciated thank you.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Many of the trails in Moab are jeep trails, so there are multiple lines through every section. While some riders might carefully pick and choose the smoothest path through a rock staircase, you can go fast and aim for the big ledges to add excitement.

On slickrock, there is no trail, just a suggested direction of travel. If you want to spice it up, feel free as long as you are traveling on open sandstone. Take every precaution to avoid tearing up the fragile soil and plants in between sandstone hills.

You'll figure it out.

JMH

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    try Porcupine rim, sounds just what you're looking for. an XC hardtail can handle it, but you can have some fun on a FR bike. Gemni bridges is also fun, the top part is just a dirt trail and pretty easy, but they're are some fun parts on the lower half. Both of these trails you will need to shuttle

Jul 2005
    I don't know about shuttling... There is going to be three of us and probably only one vehicle. I don't know if these guys want to do a bunch of shuttle riding. Are there some good loops with some lines to chose from?
    Thanks for the tips. Are people renting bikes this time of year nearby there?

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Hit up Slickrock, Porc rim, Amassa Back, Sovereign, Gold Bar Rim. Of the "standard" rides, I'd pick those as the best for a mixed group. Freeridey types and XC types can both have fun on all of those; a lot of different lines to play with.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    You don't have to shuttle Porcupine rim if you don't mind a few more miles on some paved and dirt roads. I've done that before and it wasn't too bad. Of course as you're riding on the dirt road towards the rim trailhead, stick your thumb out and you're likely to have a truck stop and tell you to get in the back (if they have room with their bikes back there). They also have buses that shuttle there and you can hitch a ride on one of those. Have fun on the trip

Jul 2005
    There are buses and trucks with riders this time of year? Can you guys recommend a good shop or two near Moab for rentals and maps? Thanks a lot for helping me put this together, this is great help!

Andykiller

dude bro dude

Check out Slickrock Cycles. They have maps and are helpful there. They can also hook you up with the shuttle and might tell you about the good trails.

Members who have read this thread: 0