Moab Restaurant Recommendations...- Mtbr.com
    Pedal Bike
    Nov 2005

Moab Restaurant Recommendations...

Any Moab "must visit" eating establishment recommendations?

Breakfast and Dinner would be appreciated! Thanks!

Isisrider

Moab diner is a must.

I have ate at quite a few of the eateries in town, and in my opionion you cannot beat the Moab Diner for food and prices. They have great breakfasts also and their green chile is the best. They also have great shakes. Pasta Jay's is the place to go for pasta. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

have fun,
    Isisrider

Group Hug Participant
    What's the BEER scene/selection like in Moab?
    Official Chocolate Fountain Spokesman

Tribe Member
    Bring your own beer....it is easier than trying to find the liquor store in town.

For breakfast, Smitty's Golden Spike is the best....great grub that fills you up for less then 6 bucks
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

Brass Nipples!
    For several trips to Moab, I have loved the food at the Moab Brewery. Last year it seemed OK, but not as good as I had remembered from previous years, maybe they had an off night. Eddie McStiffs Pizza has beeen good, but I haven't eaten there in a long time. For a cheap carbo load between rides at lunch, it's hard to beat a curry bowl at Teriyaki Stix.

There's pretty much one main drag with most of the restaurants on it over a couple of miles. Just take the time to cruise up and down when you get to town and you'll get an idea what's available. I've never had an "I'm never eating here again" moment, maybe others could list places to avoid if they know any.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

La Hacienda

La Hacienda is pretty good mexican. The Center Cafe is where you spend $100, but I don't know many (any?) mountain bikers who hang there! Moab Diner for breakfast. Golden Stake for steak. Isabella's has good pizza. Mondo Cafe has great coffee and good waffles(and free WiFi so you can post your Moab pictures here). Poplar Place has good pub food.

City Market salad bar.....seriously.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Breakfast at Moab Diner (very poor coffee, but good ice cream later in the day).

Coffee beforehand at Mondo.

Decent breakfast and coffee at Jailhouse.

Dinner at Pasta Jays (Wednesday night lasagna great).

Burgers a few miles south of town, on the left (east). Looks like a dump, but really good, and AYCE fries (thanks Dave at Slickrock Cycles for that tip).
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    0K these 2 are musts:
    Banditos.
    Next to Poison spider bikes and the Maverick store.
    Salmon tacos,and citrus pork tacos with mango salsa.Fantastic.I would drive there from SLC to eat those damn tacos!

Zax Wood Fired Pizza.
    Roll in and eat immediatly since you will be starving. Buffet pizza and salad bar.They will make whatever pizza you want and throw it up on the bar!! 8 bucks or so.Good pasta,etc too.

It's on a corner in the center of the strip and has a fireplace built into the corner of the building.Can't miss it.They are the only sports bar in town too.
    Santa Cruz Bronson 2 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Banditos Gone?

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    0K these 2 are musts:
    Banditos.
    Next to Poison spider bikes and the Maverick store.
    Salmon tacos,and citrus pork tacos with mango salsa.Fantastic.I would drive there from SLC to eat those damn tacos!

Zax Wood Fired Pizza.
    Roll in and eat immediatly since you will be starving. Buffet pizza and salad bar.They will make whatever pizza you want and throw it up on the bar!! 8 bucks or so.Good pasta,etc too.

It's on a corner in the center of the strip and has a fireplace built into the corner of the building.Can't miss it.They are the only sports bar in town too.
    Hey Krispy, is Banditos gone? Is that the place up at the north end of town by Slickrock Cycles-Poison Spider-Chile Pepper shops? The one that used to have the sign "There's No Can in our Mexican"?

That place was the best Mexican food anywhere I've tried in any state, but it appeared that Slickrock Cycle moved into that building -- or that we'd already been drinking too much tequila!

And Zacks rocks too. They'll fire up just about anything you ask for on the buffet. But I like to save that place for after a double ride day. Pig without guilt!
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Banditos=Gone

Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    Hey Krispy, is Banditos gone? Is that the place up at the north end of town by Slickrock Cycles-Poison Spider-Chile Pepper shops? The one that used to have the sign "There's No Can in our Mexican"?

That place was the best Mexican food anywhere I've tried in any state, but it appeared that Slickrock Cycle moved into that building -- or that we'd already been drinking too much tequila!

And Zacks rocks too. They'll fire up just about anything you ask for on the buffet. But I like to save that place for after a double ride day. Pig without guilt!
    Banditos is gone. And Zax is now $11 for the buffet.

mtbr member
    No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bummer,Banditos was one one of the best.
    Santa Cruz Bronson 2 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

I Just Ride....

Good job! Beer!

Quote Originally Posted by <sL4yEr>RuLz
    What's the BEER scene/selection like in Moab?
    Go to www.eddiemcstiffs.com and www.themoabbrewery.com and for good beer..
    Brian
    BEER ME!
    Artistic Mountain Bike Photography
    My MTBR Gallery
    "I Ride my bike, to Ride my bike...."
    From a Zen proverb

Pedal Bike
    Nov 2005

Visited a few...

My recent Moab restaurant observations and critiques...

First, Red Rock Bakery was closed. Rumor has it they didn't pay their rent and got locked out. That sucks because this was my favorite breakfast (egg/bagel) and lunch (sandwich) spot in Moab. Hopefully they'll get it re-opened soon. When they do, I highly recommend it despite their lack of occassional friendlyness...

Second, my breakfast at the Moab Diner was very mediocre. This place was extremely
    busy and the staff handled it well. However, my food was not completely cooked.

Fiesta Mexicana, 202 Main St., was very good. We hit it for a dinner. Strong margar's
    and good chips & salsa. Left happy and bloated...

In an effort to find another breakfast place, we headed south of town to Stagecoach Grill.
    Nice people, average breakfast and a cinder block building...

Cafe Mondo had a decent sandwich - slow service. Peace House showed promise despite 5 15 yr. olds working - Thai Wrap a little bland...

Finally, we ate dinner at the Slickrock Cafe. I'm not sure what this place is all about.
    Dated interior and scheme. Cheech, find a new job! Our order was shorted due to the kitchen being out of food, no replacement offered. Food was very average. Conclusion - nice ads, crummy business model.

Looking forward to trying a few others next time...

Nat
    mtbr member
    Does anyone remember the Ding How chinese restaurant? Part of their sign made up a wall of the Chile Pepper bike shop dressing room last time I was in there. Best baked leech I've ever eaten.

Is the Taco Bender still there or did it get deported?

Nat
    mtbr member
    I'm in Moab as I type this post. I HIGHLY recommend the Fiesta Mexicana restaurant for excellent Mexican food. We've gone there three times in 5 days.

mtbr member
    Is the Slick Rock Cafe still there?

Pedal Bike
    Nov 2005

Slickrock?

Still there.
    Better options exist.

mtbr member
    True, but that place is tradition. Obviously I have not been down there for a while.

mtbr member
    Moab Diner
    Eddie McStiffs
    Moab Brewery

...in no particular order :-)

Ryan H.

Apr 2006
    Is Fiesta Mexicana the same as Miguels? The address looks familiar but I think this place was closer to Center & Main. Good Mole and decent Rita's. This was a small place with a line forming as it was opening. I didn't try the big chain-looking mexican restaurant on South main, didn't need to after I found this place.

It's worth finding the liquor store to avoid the 3.2 beer and I liked the salad bar at City Market. Slick Rock cafe business and building is for sale so maybe a new owner can fix it. Moab Brewery was good and decent pizza at Zak's. Those were where my $ went.

BSG
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Best breakfast by far

Ecletica is by far the best place for breakfast. Good for lunch too. Nice outside seeting and great food. That breat is to die for. Moab dinner sucks, Jailhouse is ok.
    BSG

mtbr member

yup

Eddie Mcstiffs and the Brewery are my favorite for lunch and dinner. For breakfast I can't remember the name of the place but it's on the west side of the main drag and a huge sign saying BREAKFAST on it so it should be easy to find. My favorite beerlike substance in the area is at Eddie Mc stiffs too. (Jailhouse)

A late addition is a place I think is new (at least I've never seen it before) called the Broken Paddle West of Main on the first or second street after Slickrock bikes; real resturaunt a bit upscale compared to most Moab places in the nicest building I've been in in Moab. The prices are a little higher but it had the best beer this time (if you like apricot hef).
    Eddie Mcstiffs is for sale and is becoming one of those private clubs (join for $1) the stake Mojo is still very good but they aren't brewing there own beer anymore so the tasty if weak cream ale and hef aren't neerly as good any more.
    Last edited by slowrider; 10-17-2006 at 08:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Pasta Jay's has a great eggplant parm. Nothing like I had ever had!
    Wings are good @ Moab Brewery.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Along I-70

If you're travelling along I-70 stop at Ray's Tavern in Green River. Great burgers.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reno
    Is Fiesta Mexicana the same as Miguels?
    Miguel's? No conozco alguno Miguel's.

Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Miguel's? No conozco alguno Miguel's.

I wasn't sure so I googled it. Miguels is at 51 North Main and is a little hole in the wall among the tourist traps on the west side of Main.

Here is a link to their place. I def-rec.

http://www.miguelsbajagrill.com/

And here is a good list of restaurants in Moab with links.

http://www.moabhappenings.com/restaurants.htm

BSG
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I second rays

Yup if your on 70 near greenriver Rays rules
    BSG

mtbr member
    May 2006
    its been years since I have been to moab. last time I was there we ate at a brand new place called eddie mcstiffs( what year did that place open anyway?). and I still kick myself to this day, the bowling allley was for sale I should have done it.

Oct 2006

Upset overpriced margs

A couple of nights ago I went to Fiesta Mexicana in Moab and ordered "a margarita on the rocks with salt." When the bill came, I was charged $8.95. Asking for clarification, I was told that if you want a cheap marg, that's a special order. If you just ask for a margarita, you get an expensive one. There was no drink menu on the table and no way to know that they would do this. I have been drinking margaritas for twenty years and this is not standard practice. The food at Fiesta Mexicana was okay, but I am NOT going back. Other places in Moab will treat you more fairly.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I haven't had memorable food in Moab the last few visits... it has been merely "okay." But there are many places I haven't tried yet, I have mostly hit the Usual Suspects listed already.

But hey, at least that's not why we are there!

JMH

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmmhike
    A couple of nights ago I went to Fiesta Mexicana in Moab and ordered "a margarita on the rocks with salt." When the bill came, I was charged $8.95. Asking for clarification, I was told that if you want a cheap marg, that's a special order. If you just ask for a margarita, you get an expensive one. There was no drink menu on the table and no way to know that they would do this. I have been drinking margaritas for twenty years and this is not standard practice. The food at Fiesta Mexicana was okay, but I am NOT going back. Other places in Moab will treat you more fairly.
    How was the margarita?

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    How was the margarita?
    As weak as every other mixed drink in UT. I'd be pissed if someone charged me $9 for a drink that I knew only had 1 ounce of booze in it. Stupid UT booze laws.

B
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Don't Bother

Quote Originally Posted by kmmhike
    Don't bother with that place. La Hacienda or the Baja downtown for Mexican. I sure miss Banditos. There is room for another good Mexican restaurant in Moab.

Pedal Bike
    Nov 2005

Margarita

Ate at both Fiesta and Hacienda in the past two days...
    Still prefer Fiesta!

Eddie McStiffs is for sale. So is Slickrock.

The Peace Tree makes decent wraps. I prefer the Monticello location (better help).
    Try the peanut butter...

mtbr member
    Fiesta Mexicana: Great food. Don't expect great service though. If you do get good service consider it a bonus.

Eclectica: My new favorite breakfast spot. Pricier than Einsteins for bagel sandos but good, and the baked goods rock.

Jailhouse: beware of small portions. don't rely on it if you're doing a big ride that day.

Moab Brewery: decent beer, possibly the best non-mexican choice in town.

Banditos will be missed. much.

Anyone remember the Moab Deli? right next to Bone Daddy's. Holy Sh!t did that place suck.

mtbr member

New (to me)place in Moab

I didn't see it last year but the Broken Paddle is the nicest resturaunt in town as far as the place itself is concerned and the food and beer is among the best as well but you do pay a bit more than the brewery or Mc Stiffs. If you're Southbound on 191 take the first right (maybe the second???) and it's right around the corner but it's dinner only.

mtbr member
    For a good burger go to Milts. Its on 400 East (I think). Little locally owned buger place with good food.

Poplar Place has decent pizza-just make sure to ask them not to overcook the crust.

mtbr member
    go to isabellas pizzaria and get the "life is beautiful" pizza
    its epic..

Members who have read this thread: 0