Moab Raod Rides?- Mtbr.com
    gears weigh too much

Moab Raod Rides?

I'm going to Moab for the Easter Jeep Safari and I always bring my mountain bike and hit the trails when I can. I am thinking about bringing my raod bike this year too. Are there any good road rides frim Moab? I could always ride along the river, but I am hoping there is something more interesting (hilly and curvy). Are there any good roads up the LaSalles?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The LaSalle loop is a great road ride. It's about 60 miles with some serious climbing, curves and spectacular views. You'll want to make sure the higher elevation portion is open this time of year and mind your speed in the corners on the downhill sections. There can be sand and gravel washed onto the road. Then there is the ride from Moab out to Potash and back. It's about 40 miles with little or no traffic once you make the turn off of the highway.

CJ

Bored Carp
    Ride up to Dead Horse Point, I really like that ride. Out and back, beautiful. Google maps will get you there from Moab.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    I rode Arches NP out and back and I liked that but I did it a few weeks ago to try to avoid as many drivers looking for arches and not bicycles.

gears weigh too much
    Quote Originally Posted by sdf1968
    I rode Arches NP out and back and I liked that but I did it a few weeks ago to try to avoid as many drivers looking for arches and not bicycles.
    I'd thought about that to but wasn't sure if i'd have to pay.
    Did they let you in free?

gears weigh too much
    Quote Originally Posted by Krenovian
    The LaSalle loop is a great road ride. It's about 60 miles with some serious climbing, curves and spectacular views. CJ
    What exactly is the la sal loop?
    What roads do you take?

gears weigh too much
    Quote Originally Posted by JackRabitt
    What exactly is the la sal loop?
    What roads do you take?
    Never mind, just fugured it out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Here is a link to a PDF map for the Moab Century which uses the La
    Salle Loop.
    http://skinnytireevents.com/images/s...Elevations.pdf

CJ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackRabitt
    I'd thought about that to but wasn't sure if i'd have to pay.
    Did they let you in free?
    I have an annual NP pass so I did not pay attention. The web site says $5 for bikes. Or you can try to hide along the side of a big camper and hope they don't see you as you enter.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    One of my favorite raod rides is from the Portal Trail back into town.

It's best done after you've done the Portal Trail proper without any knee/shin armor and with a pair of old Hayes HFX 9's that haven't been bled in a couple years. Seems the wind whipping through your wounds gives you that little bit of pep you can't find in an energy bar or warm can of Red Bull.

If you can take your new girlfriend/fiance'/wife who 'has an interest in mountain biking' along for that quick jaunt, it's a great way to bond and you'll have plenty to converse about. You can always substitute your new girlfriend/fiance'/wife with your 16 year old cousin visiting from Michigan who enjoys watching baseball and playing X-Box. Of course, don't forget your uncle in from Chicago who's recovering from hip surgery. You'll want to rent him a Trek hardtail (better pedaling efficiency on the road section) with an undersprung fork and 1.9 tires.

You'll want to stay away from the shoulder, simply because there isn't one, as you'll find the draft from the passing trucks towing rock crawlers almost pulls you back right into the Eddie McStiff's parking lot for chow.

I don't recommend the garlic pizza if you're sharing a room with anyone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    One of my favorite raod rides is from the Portal Trail back into town.

It's best done after you've done the Portal Trail proper without any knee/shin armor and with a pair of old Hayes HFX 9's that haven't been bled in a couple years. Seems the wind whipping through your wounds gives you that little bit of pep you can't find in an energy bar or warm can of Red Bull.

If you can take your new girlfriend/fiance'/wife who 'has an interest in mountain biking' along for that quick jaunt, it's a great way to bond and you'll have plenty to converse about. You can always substitute your new girlfriend/fiance'/wife with your 16 year old cousin visiting from Michigan who enjoys watching baseball and playing X-Box. Of course, don't forget your uncle in from Chicago who's recovering from hip surgery. You'll want to rent him a Trek hardtail (better pedaling efficiency on the road section) with an undersprung fork and 1.9 tires.

You'll want to stay away from the shoulder, simply because there isn't one, as you'll find the draft from the passing trucks towing rock crawlers almost pulls you back right into the Eddie McStiff's parking lot for chow.

I don't recommend the garlic pizza if you're sharing a room with anyone.
    Nice.

mtbr member
    Be careful of the narrow lanes as there isn't much room for error. If you are riding in a group, please ride single file and if there is a ridable shoulder (no rocks, holes, debris, etc) utilized that too. I am not against road riders, but I am very pro safety. There is a 3' law in Utah where the autos have to give cyclist that buffer, but it won't do you much good if you get hit.

I get even more irate at the dumb arse motorists that don't give the cyclist some respect.
    It's not an adventure until someone BLEEDS!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'll second the be careful advice, especially along the river above town. Much of the road here has no shoulder and this section of road sees a lot of traffic. I've had two close calls on my road bike, they were both in Moab and both during Jeep Safari week.

CJ

Members who have read this thread: 0