Thread: Moab questions

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Moab questions

Hey guys, I just got laid off and I'm planning a quick solo trip to Fruita and Moab to clear my head.

I have a Salsa Timberjack hardtail (tubeless) and I'm intermediate skill level. How difficult/dangerous are the Navaja Rocks Chaco Loop and Dead Horse Point Tour loops? Are they clear? Are they doable on a 27.5+ hardtail? Also, are the trails clearly marked or will I need to rely on GPS? Is there any good free/cheap camping in the area? I plan to leave on Thursday morning and be there by Saturday. Any other tips, good places to eat, mandatory sights to see, bikes shops, etc?

THANKS!!!

Your Best Friend
    You'll be just fine. The answers to all of your questions is Yes.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

Formerly of Kent
    Get the TrailForks app. Download the Utah map. Put phone on Airplane mode.

Pull it out if/when you need it, and give it 30s to pick up GPS signal.

The trails you plan to ride are fine on the bike named.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    I'd highly encourage you to ask the same question in this Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/mtnb...usiastsofutah/

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Lots of info on Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs including downloadable gpx maps for your smartphone. Also, any app that has Open Cycle Map such as Gaia GPS has the trails. Last fall I entered the ones that weren't on it and I think all trails are there now.

Of course YouTube.

All trails that I can think of are well signed now. Not sure about Poison Spider but don't bother with that one. They also have paint in the places you need it like crossing slick rock.

There is camping all over the area and not much demand this time of the year so plenty of sites should be available.

Moab has many nice restaurants plus the usual fast food places. Moab Brewery is cheap and good food. I like Pasta Jays too much, especially the raviolis in meat sauce. There are two grocery stores with delis. You won't stave to death there.

There are four main bike shops. My favorite is Moab Cyclery but also check out the others. I've had a couple of bad experiences at Poison Spider last year but for years before that they were very good also. You can buy trail maps for a couple of bucks in any bike shop and the purchase price helps to support trail crews. Those maps are also here Moab Mountain Biking Trails - Moab mountain bike trail information and maps..

To warm up to the riding there then go to the Moab Brand Trails north of town and ride Easy, Lazy, and North 40. For a bunch of slick rock ride Circle O. Not everyone likes that much slick rock.

I have a couple of favorite intermediate loops:

1) Park at the lower Navajo Rocks parking trailhead and ride up Highway 313 to the Horsethief trailhead, about 6 miles as I recall. I hate riding roads but this one has wide shoulders and vehicles are polite. Now descend the new Chisholm Trail to the Big Lonely Trail, then down Big Mesa and Ramblin. I never get tired of this ride.

2) Drive down Gemini Bridges Road from Highway 313 to the Arth's Corner trailhead. Usually the road is passable by any vehicle with more clearance than a Porsche but there are a couple of wash crossing that can make people nervous if they aren't used to such roads so just park above them instead of at Arth's. Climb Getaway and drop down Bull Run and Great Escape. Loop back to your vehicle on single track or up the road. This is part of the Magnificent 7 trails.

I ride there almost two months a year and still don't get around to riding all the trails. The selection is amazing! However, these suggestions will give you a good start. Have fun and let us know what you rode and how your road trip went!
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

mtbr member
    If you are still without a job March 10th, join me at the Moab Thaw. I am going to celebrate the end of my period of jobless-ness. Start my new one March 20th.

Event Schedule For The Moab Thaw Bike Event In Moab, UT

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'll be there this Thu-Sun. It has been a while since I rode in Moab. I'll pick up a book and map when I get to town. I'll probably do Amasa Back on Thur afternoon but may do an out-back since I'm not sure I want to tackle the really steep stuff on Captain Ahab.

If Porc Rim is dry all the way up (is it dry?) I'll do that shuttle on Fri. Say- maybe some new stuff called that Moab Brands trails system. Sun...a lazy breakfast and I'll head back to Denver. I just picked up a travel trailer so I'll be staying at Moab Valley RV resort and that is close to town.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Flyer, should be great there now. Porcupine Shuttle is dropping off riders at the top of Porky, not LPS or UPS yet. The rest should be ready.

If you don't want to do Ahab then consider Navajo Rocks, Klondike Bluffs, especially the north end, or on Mag 7 drop Bull Run, Great Escape and climb Getaway. I enjoy dropping Hymasa which is the climbing trail on Amasa now but lots of stopping for uphill riders.

I used to almost live at Moab Valley RV Resort but the new owners jacked up the prices a bunch.

I'm really enjoying parking at the bottom of Navajo Rocks and just riding Hwy 313 up to the Horsethief trailhead, then dropping the new Chisholm Trail to Big Lonely, then Big Mesa and down Ramblin! Mostly intermediate and a fantastic descent.

Have fun!
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks jmpreston! I'll take your advice and try the ones you mentioned, and hopefully Porch Rim too.

Been a long time since I went to Moab and a lot of these sound new to me. I do recall climbing and descending Amasa...do they not do that anymore? I realize you climb Hymasa and descend Ahab but what happened to the Amasa out and back?

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Porky is still Porky, nothing new there. Further up are the somewhat new LPS and UPS trails which I love. Really scary parts.

You can still climb or descend the old Jeep road on Amasa but it isn't popular anymore. Hymasa is very well designed and interesting to go up and down.

Almost no one does Sovereign or Poison Spider anymore. There are so many better single track trails now that aren't sand pits. There is something for everyone at Brand Trails, still called Bar M at times. Lazy, Easy, North 40, and Deadmans are all newer and very popular.

Navajo Rocks and Mag 7 of Hwy 313 are fantastic! Amazing scenery and great riding. Mostly intermediate with some fun technical challenges.

The late bloomer is the Klondike Bluffs area. We used to ride up the Jeep trail to the slick rock and screw around there. Now there is a rather massive single track system that varies from beginner to advanced. The North Klondike area is super popular now. Careful about the mud on the road in.

There are still riders on the Slick Rock Bike Trail of course, the parking lot is paved now with a bunch of toilets, but I haven't had time to ride it in years and I spend a couple of months there. Really, there are a LOT more trails than say a decade ago.

There is at least one new trail under construction now. Hopefully opens around the first of June. Location is a secret.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    There is at least one new trail under construction now. Hopefully opens around the first of June. Location is a secret.
    Why is the location of a new trail on public land a secret?

Shouldn't it have had a review period, comment, etc?

Death from Below.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Why is the location of a new trail on public land a secret?

Shouldn't it have had a review period, comment, etc?

Sure, it is public record with the BLM most likely. Still, they don't want us on it now.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    Sure, it is public record with the BLM most likely. Still, they don't want us on it now.
    Fair enough. I'm sure one could do some digging and find it. But, I'll respect their wishes until ready. Seems like the Moab BLM has a good relationship with the local community, and no reason to jeopardize that.

Death from Below.