mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Moab question, is TWE exposed at all? Difficulty compared to Sedona?

I might be heading out to Moab with a couple buddies, but will only have three days to ride. Idea is to do TWE or as much of it, Mag 7, and Hymasa/Pothole/Rockstar/Ahab loop. Probably squeeze in bartlett wash and slickrock practice loop in there somewhere if we're still feeling good and looking for something to do later in the day.

So I want to know if this is too ambitious given my groups ability level. We went to Sedona last year, hi line trail was great, though the sidehill exposure made one person in the group uncomfortable. We all walked the steep gully at the end. Too steep for us, I would want a full face on something like that. The rest of the trail though was awesome. We did the three hog trails, had to walk a few short but steep downhills but overall everyone had a good time and rode 95%. There were a couple of exposed sidehill bits but I don't remember anyone having an issue with it, perhaps because they weren't long and sustained.

So given that, would our choice of trails be ok? Does TWE/Porc Rim have exposed you fall you're ****ed trail? Is there a lot of really steep downhills like the end of high line that are more DH than XC? What about the Ahab/Rockstacker loop? And for Mag 7 I'm assuming we would want to skip Portal and take Poison Spider back to the road, even though everything I've read about Poison Spider is that it's long and sucks Everything I've read about Portal is that it's not only exposed but rocky/technical. One thing about hi-line was that the exposed parts were pretty smooth single track, hard to **** up.

Anyways, any advice would be great, trying to get a good idea without watching videos of everything and ruining it for myself

PS. Is gooseberry mesa out in hurricane more difficult than slickrock trail?

trail gnome
    I've ridden at Gooseberry, Sedona, and Moab.

Your experience on Hi-line sounds about the same as mine, so I expect you'll be fine on TWE.

Compared to Hi-line, I found TWE to be more technical on average and the exposure more epic, but usually the cliff edge was far enough away as to not pose much danger. We walked a few sections, but rode 95+% of it. My least favorite section was the descent from Burro Pass. Steep, loose rocky, sharp hairpin turns. You might want to skip that and ride from Hazard down or lower, unless you absolutely must do the whole thing.

I found Captain Ahab even more technical but with less cliff-side riding. There was one short section with some epic exposure and a warning sign that I walked, but I rode the rest. There are some large and sometimes narrow exposed rock ramps that are intimidating, but the exposure was more of the maim, rather than kill, variety.

We rode some of the Mag 7 trails, but we did it as a loop ride, starting with Bull Run, turning around at the end of Little Canyon to take the dirt road and Getaway trail back to the start. I found that ride less technical and less exposed than either TWE or Ahab. It was my favorite. Didn't have to pedal or brake much on the descent; just let the bike flow and take in the epic view.

Compared to Gooseberry, Slickrock is much more open, so it's easier to see where the trail is headed to next. The rock is very grippy, so if you have the fitness, you'll be surprised by what you are able to climb. There were two or three steep sustained climbs on Slickrock that I did not have the fitness to ride completely. I didn't make all the climbs on Gooseberry, but that was more due to being surprised after rounding a corner and choosing a bad line. Of the two, I liked Gooseberry more. Of the trails in Moab, Slickrock was one of my less favorite trails, but it is so distinctive and iconic you pretty much have to ride it at least once. p.s. the Practice Loop is about as difficult as the main loop; just a little shorter I think.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Thanks that was really helpful, and yes by exposure I mean hi line style where there's literally a foot on the side of the trail before the drop off. Anywhere even a simple fall like clipping handbars could end up real bad. If I had 6' between the cliff edge and the trail I wouldn't sweat it

We're going first week of November so burro seems highly unlikely, who knows maybe even hazard is equally unlikely?

Did you do any other trails? Are the three I picked good choices or is there something else you would recommend that's more fun/scenic?

How long did your mag 7 loop take? Any reason why you didn't go all the way to gold bar rim (which must be super scenic) before looping back? Or just do a one way all the way to poison spider with a shuttle?

A lot of people say skip slick rock and just do the practice loop because the novelty gets old. But then gooseberry mesa gets a lot of hype and it seems like it's similar style terrain/riding. Is gooseberry better because it has better scenery? Is it worth riding gooseberry on the way from Vegas if it means losing a potential 4th day in Moab?

I was also thinking of riding thunder mountain near Bryce but last time I was at Bryce Canyon was early November and there was snow..

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette View Post
    I've ridden at Gooseberry, Sedona, and Moab.

Your experience on Hi-line sounds about the same as mine, so I expect you'll be fine on TWE.

Compared to Hi-line, I found TWE to be more technical on average and the exposure more epic, but usually the cliff edge was far enough away as to not pose much danger. We walked a few sections, but rode 95+% of it. My least favorite section was the descent from Burro Pass. Steep, loose rocky, sharp hairpin turns. You might want to skip that and ride from Hazard down or lower, unless you absolutely must do the whole thing.

I found Captain Ahab even more technical but with less cliff-side riding. There was one short section with some epic exposure and a warning sign that I walked, but I rode the rest. There are some large and sometimes narrow exposed rock ramps that are intimidating, but the exposure was more of the maim, rather than kill, variety.

We rode some of the Mag 7 trails, but we did it as a loop ride, starting with Bull Run, turning around at the end of Little Canyon to take the dirt road and Getaway trail back to the start. I found that ride less technical and less exposed than either TWE or Ahab. It was my favorite. Didn't have to pedal or brake much on the descent; just let the bike flow and take in the epic view.

Compared to Gooseberry, Slickrock is much more open, so it's easier to see where the trail is headed to next. The rock is very grippy, so if you have the fitness, you'll be surprised by what you are able to climb. There were two or three steep sustained climbs on Slickrock that I did not have the fitness to ride completely. I didn't make all the climbs on Gooseberry, but that was more due to being surprised after rounding a corner and choosing a bad line. Of the two, I liked Gooseberry more. Of the trails in Moab, Slickrock was one of my less favorite trails, but it is so distinctive and iconic you pretty much have to ride it at least once. p.s. the Practice Loop is about as difficult as the main loop; just a little shorter I think.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just got back from Moab and six days of riding and tend to agree with all of what Ray said. A couple of additional points:
    We did TWE from Kokopelli on down and had a blast. 23 or so miles and the exposure is not something you will ride off of unless you really aren't paying attention. There are sections you will have to walk but very little - only two come to mind - one where it splits with an option to do Notch and then late in Porc when the trail makes a near U turn in a canyon. Both are short walks.

Ahab is a blast and mostly rideable but I suggest taking your time and looking at things and maybe riding them two or three times. Nothing is too bad if you know what's coming. Maybe one or two spots where I said I would just walk.

Mag7 - I think Ray is right on on his suggestion to do a loop and skip Gold Bar / Portal / Poison Spider. The climbs were not fun after Little Canyon (we had 95 degree heat) and I was surprised at how eroded the Portal downhill seemed compared to five years ago when I last saw it. Maybe I was just dehydrated and tired. Regardless, we went back up there later and rode Getaway and back up the road (Gemini Bridges Road). Not exactly fun but the best idea is that we decided to shuttle the trails up there. We all rode while one person met us at the bottom of Getaway (you could do this for Bull Run as well). It was a blast that had some pedaling but was mostly just pure fun.

I would skip Slickrock unless you really want to see it. We rode Klondike Bluffs and hit the northern side - climb Mega Steps (long but not too bad) and then did Alaska, Nome and Homer trails. We did two loops of this mixing in Alaska/Nome and Alaska/Homer. Highly recommended.

TWE and the full Mag7 are two big days if you do them back to back. While it looks like a lot of downhill on TWE there is a lot of work on the way down.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    FYI - our mag 7 took 4 hours of ride time and well over 5 hours total. We had some nasty heat that really slowed us down. That includes the ride back into town. Gold Bar is scenic and would be fun on it's own but is a chore after some tough climbs. The big question is whether you will be able to do your own shuttling. That really opens up some options.

mtbr member
    Is there a rockstar trail on amasa? If you mean rockstacker that will be far and away the highest potential consequence trail if you try to make all the the moves. Not fall to your death tupe stuff per say but lots of 7'-10' tecky awkward legdy type stuff. Plenty of exposure entering the portal, but most non expert riders will simply hop off & walk the 1 dangerous move. As mentioned above if I had a choice between completing all of TWE or Mag 7 it would be Mag 7 100%. Upper Porcupine/Kokopelli down is where TWE starts to get fun IMO.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

trail gnome
    Thanks that was really helpful, and yes by exposure I mean hi line style where there's literally a foot on the side of the trail before the drop off. Anywhere even a simple fall like clipping handbars could end up real bad. If I had 6' between the cliff edge and the trail I wouldn't sweat it
    My impression of the exposure of Hi-Line vs. TWE:

Hi-Line: edge is sometimes 1-2 feet away, but trail is smooth and sometimes there are trees/scrub/ledges to stop your fall if you ever were to go over.

TWE: On average, you are further away from the edge most of the time, so little risk of going over, but if you do, it's a long, long way down. There are some slickrock sections where you can ride as close to oblivion as you dare, or play it safe and stay away. Towards the end of the ride, there are some very exposed sections you might choose to walk.

Did you do any other trails? Are the three I picked good choices or is there something else you would recommend that's more fun/scenic?
    Mag 7 Loop, Klondike Area, TWE, and Captain Ahab, in order of preference and technical difficulty. All very scenic.

How long did your mag 7 loop take? Any reason why you didn't go all the way to gold bar rim (which must be super scenic) before looping back? Or just do a one way all the way to poison spider with a shuttle?
    Maybe 3-4 hours? We didn't do the shuttle, so we had to do a loop. IIRC, the trail gets harder and starts to climb after Little Canyon, so it seemed like the logical place to turn around. Getaway was a good way to return. So flowy and gradual that you hardly notice you are climbing, and more fun and scenic than taking the road.

A lot of people say skip slick rock and just do the practice loop because the novelty gets old. But then gooseberry mesa gets a lot of hype and it seems like it's similar style terrain/riding. Is gooseberry better because it has better scenery? Is it worth riding gooseberry on the way from Vegas if it means losing a potential 4th day in Moab?
    Slickrock is pretty wide open. There is very little growing up there. Gooseberry is very twisty, with lots of vegetation. It resembles UPS more than Slickrock. I found Slickrock to be more of a physical challenge and Gooseberry to be more of a technical one, so I prefer Gooseberry, but to each his own. One thing to consider: the road up to Gooseberry can be inaccessible sometimes; 4-wheel vehicle recommended.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Ya that was supposed to be rockstacker, autocorrect must have changed it. so maybe skip rockstacker and just do jacksons?

I'd really like to do all of mag 7 too. Is portal worth doing if we walk the exposed bits and steep switchbacks? Just to avoid poison spider? I don't want to walk half the trail but if I can ride 80-90% of I'm good with that.

Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Is there a rockstar trail on amasa? If you mean rockstacker that will be far and away the highest potential consequence trail if you try to make all the the moves. Not fall to your death tupe stuff per say but lots of 7'-10' tecky awkward legdy type stuff. Plenty of exposure entering the portal, but most non expert riders will simply hop off & walk the 1 dangerous move. As mentioned above if I had a choice between completing all of TWE or Mag 7 it would be Mag 7 100%. Upper Porcupine/Kokopelli down is where TWE starts to get fun IMO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette View Post
    Mag 7 Loop, Klondike Area, TWE, and Captain Ahab, in order of preference and technical difficulty. All very scenic
    Oh wow you preferred mag 7 and Klondike bluffs over TWE and ahab? I have to be honest Klondike wasn't even on my radar and I assumed TWE was the holy grail.

trail gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by marving View Post
    Oh wow you preferred mag 7 and Klondike bluffs over TWE and ahab? I have to be honest Klondike wasn't even on my radar and I assumed TWE was the holy grail.
    Just my personal preference. If you ask 10 other riders, you'll get 10 different answers. They are all great rides. You can't go wrong with any of them.

TWE is a truly epic trail. So much descending, and such a varied landscape from top to bottom. That sets it apart from the rest.
    Last edited by ray.vermette; 09-22-2017 at 08:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    good grief...just ride the trails you mentioned you'll be fine. if you feel like your going to die then get off your bike and walk.

-skip slick rock

-Given your time descend Ahab instead of Jacksons. Rockstacker has the most exposure.

-exit via Portal on mag 7...Poison Spider and Gemeni sucks hairy sand balls....Make sure you do the Blue Dot trail, and climb up NOT on the Jeep road. Check Trailforks.

Make sure to do the TWE from Burro pass...otherwise its like bangin with half your wingwang.

...dont worry, of all the trails you mentioned you'll probably only be scared 5% of the time...and that's good, lets you know you're alive.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Poison Spider is a sand trap with jeeps coming up at you the entire way. It is one of my least favorite trails I've ridden. I rode it once about 20 years ago and have never even considered riding it again. YMMV.

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dmar123 View Post
    good grief...just ride the trails you mentioned you'll be fine. if you feel like your going to die then get off your bike and walk.

-skip slick rock

-Given your time descend Ahab instead of Jacksons. Rockstacker has the most exposure.

-exit via Portal on mag 7...Poison Spider and Gemeni sucks hairy sand balls....Make sure you do the Blue Dot trail, and climb up NOT on the Jeep road. Check Trailforks.

Make sure to do the TWE from Burro pass...otherwise its like bangin with half your wingwang.

...dont worry, of all the trails you mentioned you'll probably only be scared 5% of the time...and that's good, lets you know you're alive.
    ^^^^^ this x100 ^^^^^

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Haha thanks, I'm game for anything, walking 5% would be great, that was my experience in Sedona, just don't want to get into something where I need to walk 25%, especially on a 20 mile route

Got it for mag 7, what's more fun/scenic arths/little canyon or getaway? I never see getaway mentioned in anyone's mag 7 posts but it seems to ride closer to the rim? And yes will definitely take blue dot along the high rim

For ahab what's a good route, up Hymasa to cliffhanger road to amasa to pothole arch then backtrack and go down lower ahab? Or skip amasa/pothole and do lower/upper Hymasa and lower/upper ahab?

And finally im not sure one of my buddies can do three big days back to back, which day should he miss.. Mag 7 or Hymasa/pothole/ahab?

Oh ya and one more question, if we can squeeze in a 4th day, should we do something like Klondike bluffs in Moab, or head to fruita for 18 road?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dmar123 View Post

-skip slick rock

mtbr member
    Haha thanks, I'm game for anything, walking 5% would be great, that was my experience in Sedona, just don't want to get into something where I need to walk 25%, especially on a 20 mile route

Got it for mag 7, what's more fun/scenic arths/little canyon or getaway? I never see getaway mentioned in anyone's mag 7 posts but it seems to ride closer to the rim? And yes will definitely take blue dot along the high rim

For ahab what's a good route, up Hymasa to cliffhanger road to amasa to pothole arch then backtrack and go down lower ahab? Or skip amasa/pothole and do lower/upper Hymasa and lower/upper ahab?

And finally im not sure one of my buddies can do three big days back to back, which day should he miss.. Mag 7 or Hymasa/pothole/ahab?

Oh ya and one more question, if we can squeeze in a 4th day, should we do something like Klondike bluffs in Moab, or head to fruita for 18 road?

Thanks!
    I recommend riding all of Ahab. Hymasa was put in to bypass the more difficult Cliffhanger-classic Amasa Back climb. I would actually recommend trying to do it. You'll walk a bit, but with some tries, you'll find that there are some sections you would swear are undoable, and end up able to do them anyway.

I'd skip Jackson and Rockstacker. Pothole is an excuse to ride out and back. The arch itself is nothing to write home about.

I like Bull Run, to Great Escape to Little Canyon to Arth's Corner to Getaway back to parking for a loop in the Mag 7 area.

I also like the Klondike Bluffs area.

I think Slickrock is worth doing, but if you have to skip something, I suppose it's as good as any.

I view TWE in it's entirety like Slickrock....worth doing once, then Hazard down. Hazard down can be done in the morning and Slickrock in the afternoon, if it's not too hot.

I would also skip Poison Spider.

Here is an index of all the trails:
    Moab Area Trails

At the end of your adventure, a ride report will help others as well. Often times, people will ask for advise and never come back with their impressions.

ride more.
    Nov 2004

Thanks!
    If you do 3 big days in Moab, a 4th chill day at 18 Road would probably be nice. 18 Road is smooth desert single track.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Thanks. But your mag 7 loops skips the rim? The big part of the appeal of riding in Moab for me is the scenery, that ability to ride near the edge of Mesa's, etc.. I have lots of great terrain at home in the trees where I can't see shit I want some epic views for once. Or are there plenty of views without having to do blue dot/gold bar rim/portal?

The time of year we're going, first week of nov, it seems riding hazard down is probably as good as we'll get, and it seems even that may require some good luck weather wise.

So for Hymasa/ahab if we do the pothole arch detour, is it a particularily fun ride or would it be more fun just lapping lower ahab a second time? Is the scenery of particular interest or do you only really get to see anything when you get to the arch? I don't care about seeing the actual arch I've seen lots hiking in arches np. But I love those sweeping views you get from island in the sky and dead horse point. I've just never had the chance to experience them riding before, have always hiked in Moab (kids). So I want to maximize awesome views

I plan on doing those 3 big rides, and then in the late afternoon putzing around Bartlett wash, slick rock practice loop and dead horse point on each of the 3 days.

And if we can add a 4th day it seems like Klondike bluffs area or 18 road in fruita would be a good choice?

Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    I recommend riding all of Ahab. Hymasa was put in to bypass the more difficult Cliffhanger-classic Amasa Back climb. I would actually recommend trying to do it. You'll walk a bit, but with some tries, you'll find that there are some sections you would swear are undoable, and end up able to do them anyway.

I'd skip Jackson and Rockstacker. Pothole is an excuse to ride out and back. The arch itself is nothing to write home about.

I like Bull Run, to Great Escape to Little Canyon to Arth's Corner to Getaway back to parking for a loop in the Mag 7 area.

I also like the Klondike Bluffs area.

I think Slickrock is worth doing, but if you have to skip something, I suppose it's as good as any.

I view TWE in it's entirety like Slickrock....worth doing once, then Hazard down. Hazard down can be done in the morning and Slickrock in the afternoon, if it's not too hot.

I would also skip Poison Spider.

Here is an index of all the trails:
    Moab Area Trails

At the end of your adventure, a ride report will help others as well. Often times, people will ask for advise and never come back with their impressions.

mtbr member
    The view to the northeast on the ride from Ahab to Pothole. Also the area around Navajo Rocks.
    You won't have to worry about the trees blocking your views in Moab!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moab question, is TWE exposed at all? Difficulty compared to Sedona?-amasa-back-resize.jpg  

Moab question, is TWE exposed at all? Difficulty compared to Sedona?-20170926_111202-resize.jpg  

Moab question, is TWE exposed at all? Difficulty compared to Sedona?-20170925_185732a-resize.jpg  

Last edited by MSU Alum; 09-28-2017 at 09:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Just curious, but what bikes are you taking to Moab? I've ridden my Tallboy on Moab 4 years running. On parts of TWE it's like bring a knife to a gunfight. Still loads of and I can ride most drops with the last 4-5 miles of Porcupine being the highlight. But you can't go full speed on some sections without bottoming your suspension or cratering your wheels.

Gooseberry is more technical than slickrock, slick rock has longer climbs. Slick rock is crowded but is a unique experience and worth doing once. Haven't done Mag 7 but have ridden poison spider and portal. Seems like you have an idea of what you want to ride.

I would personally skip 18 mile road in Fruita. The loops at the start of the Kokopelli are much better. Moore fun, Mary's, Mack Ridge, just a blast to explore.

Don't forget to save a few hours to drive through Arches, worth the trip if you are there. I'm headed out there in a few weeks and will be doing the White Rim in a day...hopefully.

Have a great trip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moab question, is TWE exposed at all? Difficulty compared to Sedona?-img_9020.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Does TWE/Porc Rim have exposed you fall you're ****ed trail?
    Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: OMFG yes.

If you don't like exposure.... maybe Moab isn't for you?

Mag 7: skip Portal/Poison Spider; either exit down Gemini Bridges back to town, or just do a loop riding back to your car up Getaway. Unless you're doing Portal Trail, there's no point in exiting that way.

mtbr member
    If you walked the janky backside drop in on Highline, you'll walk much of Portal, but I love Blue dot/Gold Bar single track. Awesome views and fun up and down tech with a few places close to the edge but with plenty of room to move away from it if you don't like the exposure. You'll get some scaled down cliff edge canyon views going down Bull Run, but not the epic Gold Bar Rim stuff.

I think if I couldn't ride Portal, I'd still rather walk it than ride out Poison Spider. Ugh.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moab question, is TWE exposed at all? Difficulty compared to Sedona?-moab-8.jpg  

Moab question, is TWE exposed at all? Difficulty compared to Sedona?-img_2100.jpg  

I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com