mtbr member

MOAB Planning: Hotel Pricing???

So I am trying to plan a MOAB trip in October. I purposely avoided the first week and the last week of the month since those weeks are Outerbike and the MTB Festival.

The two weeks in between, the rooms seem fairly high priced IMO. On average they are 150$ a night. Has this become the norm for Moab Hotel pricing? Or is there a major event I am not seeing that would cause rates to be higher in the Oct 9-21 range???

FWIW, this is what I was using as my event guide:

Moab 2017 Calendar of Events - Get up-to-date Moab event information from the official tourism website for Moab, Utah.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    The prices go down in November, winter rates.

mtbr member
    The rule of thumb I use is, when on standard time (early November-early March) hotel rooms are priced what one might expect for a non destination tourist spot. When on DST, even 150 a night seems cheap...and that's probably motel 6 or super 8 prices.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Hotel and motel prices have been climbing for years. During the spring and fall high seasons even the cabins in RV parks are above the usual Motel 6 prices, and you have to walk to the toilets and showers. Camping with toilets and showers is running over $40 at most places like KOA and RV parks now when they were recently $28.

I like the cabins at the Lazy Lizard Hostel. Real logs and $35. The whole place needs maintenance but it is rather clean and includes decent WiFi and a community kitchen. They are getting hard to get though.

The old highway motels are no longer cheap but you can try Inca Inn, Adventure Inn, or Silver Sage. Silver Sage would be my last choice.

I spend about 2 months a year riding the Moab area split between spring and fall and to do that I have to go cheap. I have a van so I'm going to start living out of that in a couple of weeks instead of camping or staying at cabins with toilets and showers. Lots of places, including the bike shops, have showers for $5. Campgrounds fill but there is primitive camping north of town and toilets near the highways at some overlooks and trailheads.

The best WiFi in town is at the Sweat Cravings Bakery.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    First week of November is the best kept secret. In October $150 does sound light. Lots of different places to stay. Would avoid ordinary hotels with some many alternatives. Check out purple sage, Moab Flats or Neighborhood Suites. All super bike friendly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amasaback View Post
    First week of November is the best kept secret. In October $150 does sound light. Lots of different places to stay. Would avoid ordinary hotels with some many alternatives. Check out purple sage, Moab Flats or Neighborhood Suites. All super bike friendly.
    My worry with November was the risk of snow and not being able to clear all of Enchilada. Is that first week reliable enough to plan around for someone traveling 1800 miles to get there?
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkerfiveo View Post
    My worry with November was the risk of snow and not being able to clear all of Enchilada. Is that first week reliable enough to plan around for someone traveling 1800 miles to get there?
    It will be until our President determines that Global Warming doesn't exist and our Winters go back to starting then.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    It will be until our President determines that Global Warming doesn't exist and our Winters go back to starting then.....
    Very insightful. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Hotel prices during busy periods in Moab are just stupid.

It is camping or nothing for me these days, between the beginning of March and the end of October.

We used to drive to Moab on a Thursday night, spend Thursday, Friday and Saturday in a hotel and leave on Sunday. Now we spend Thursday night in a hotel along I-70 in Colorado somewhere, and head to Moab early (get to Moab before 8 AM) Friday morning to snag a campsite for the rest of the weekend. If you get to Moab after about noon on Friday, you won't even find a campsite.

Bored Carp
    The Redstone Inn is decent and the rates are low. Very minimal in terms of amenities, but if you just need a place to sleep, it's good on a low budget. Adventure Inn is also fine.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    There is no guarantee of riding from Burro any time in October either. November is quite risky, though people were still riding off the top almost til Thanksgiving last fall.

Fortunately there is lots of other riding to be had if you can't get up high. Even starting from Hazard or Kokopelli you can ride Jimmy Keen rather than Kokopelli for some added value and likely new dirt, since most people seem to skip it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky View Post
    The Redstone Inn is decent and the rates are low. Very minimal in terms of amenities, but if you just need a place to sleep, it's good on a low budget. Adventure Inn is also fine.
    Of course "low" is relative. During high periods, even the Redstone and the Adventure Inn are over $100/night.

Coming from the Front Range, we started staying in Parachute, Rifle, or GJ on the way to/from Moab. If you are hotelling it, you can at least save a little that way. $50 for the Candlewood Suites in Parachute vs. $100-300 in Moab for the cheap places. Leave one of those places by 7, you are in Moab by 9 or 10. Same on the way back, why spend the night in Moab and then have to leave first thing the next morning to beat the I-70 traffic anyway? Check out the riding in Fruita/GJ/Rifle/Eagle on the way back and still miss the I-70 Sunday afternoon clusterfork.

mtbr member
    We're staying for a week. Not sure I want to drive 2 hours every morning and evening.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Another Option. Green River, Utah is about 52 miles from Moab. There are several motels there including motel chains. May be an option for lesser motel rates. The road between the two cities is good. Only downside is there are not as many amenities as Moab has.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    We're staying for a week. Not sure I want to drive 2 hours every morning and evening.
    I wasn't suggesting you stay in GJ or further east for the entire trip, but at the beginning and end of your trip, if you are driving from the east or flying into GJ or Denver, it makes sense to stay over that way rather than pay the Moab premium.

Just for grins, I just looked at hotels in Moab for this weekend, 3/10-3/12. Super 8 is only $114/night! Such a deal. For 3/24-25 Super 8 is $194/night. I stayed in downtown San Francisco for less than that last fall.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I did a solo trip to Vernal, Fruita, and Moab a few years ago and camped in my car for free, showered at rec centres/bike shop ($2), and had a blast. Toyota Matrix, the adventure machine.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I did a solo trip to Vernal, Fruita, and Moab a few years ago and camped in my car for free, showered at rec centres/bike shop ($2), and had a blast. Toyota Matrix, the adventure machine.
    This. I do the same with my Subaru.

But swap showers at Rec Center for a 3 gallon solar shower. Set it up in the morning, let the Plateau sunshine bombard it all day, and hang it from a tree on your free BLM land camp site. Preferably over sloping sandstone. Small towel/air dry. Good for two days if you have short hair and wash quickly.

I've been to "Moab" multiple times, but feel very little need to spend any time in town. Surprising amount of smog and light pollution there which ruin an otherwise stellar night sky.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I almost always camp in Moab too, but even dry BLM campsites are $15 a night unless you are at least 15 miles from town. If you do go up to the free areas, you must have a porta-potti or one of those poop sack things or you'll get a ticket that will make you wish you had stayed in a hotel.

Ain't no free ride any more. Even the spring has been dismantled so it takes about five minutes to fill a gallon jug. Oh, and a shower at the rec center is $5.00 now.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    I almost always camp in Moab too, but even dry BLM campsites are $15 a night unless you are at least 15 miles from town. If you do go up to the free areas, you must have a porta-potti or one of those poop sack things or you'll get a ticket that will make you wish you had stayed in a hotel.

Ain't no free ride any more. Even the spring has been dismantled so it takes about five minutes to fill a gallon jug. Oh, and a shower at the rec center is $5.00 now.
    I usually park just off 313 on the White Rim. I hide my car fairly well and don't camp in sight of any roads or trails. I guess being paranoid about break-ins has helped me avoid being seen entirely.

I camo net my car, move dead vegetation and sweep away tire tracks. I'm also the guy that turns off the car and does SLLS (stop, look, listen, smell) for a couple minutes before settling on a campsite. Know too many people that have been robbed.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Back to the original question... skip the hotels and rent a condo. It's cheaper and there's a good chance of it being very new and in excellent shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    How many of you will be going?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Back to the original question... skip the hotels and rent a condo. It's cheaper and there's a good chance of it being very new and in excellent shape.

Or just say screw it and book a tour. let them worry about getting your lodging for you. I think I just may have to do that this September in Crested Butte.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post

Hmmm, that's actually a pretty good idea. At the moment there are only 3 of us committed to go. I think we would need a few more to commit before trying to go that route.

Any condo recommendations?

mtbr member
    Hmmm, that's actually a pretty good idea. At the moment there are only 3 of us committed to go. I think we would need a few more to commit before trying to go that route.

Any condo recommendations?
    Moab Utah Lodging & Condos | Moab, Utah | Moab Condo Rentals
    Good place to start. I usually stay at the Cottonwoods. More people = better. That's why I was wondering how many of you there are.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Moab Utah Lodging & Condos | Moab, Utah | Moab Condo Rentals
    Good place to start. I usually stay at the Cottonwoods. More people = better. That's why I was wondering how many of you there are.
    Thanks, I searched through Air BNB yesterday. We currently only have 4 hard commits, but even with only 4 of us splitting a 4 bedroom condo it is still more affordable than 2 people splitting a hotel room for 6 days.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    <Moved to different thread>

mtbr member
    Booked our condo today. Theres 6 of us, so it came out to only 50$ a night! Cheaper than a roach motel and nicer than a suite! I'm stoked!

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/5070810

mtbr member
    Booked our condo today. Theres 6 of us, so it came out to only 50$ a night! Cheaper than a roach motel and nicer than a suite! I'm stoked!

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/5070810
    How funny. I stayed at that exact place (99% sure) a few years back. Nicer than a motel for sure! There's a hot tub available for the community it's in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyspoke View Post
    How funny. I stayed at that exact place (99% sure) a few years back. Nicer than a motel for sure! There's a hot tub available for the community it's in.
    Yep! They also claim the pool is open through October, so I am wondering if it is heated since it is getting cool out there in October.

mtbr member
    I think the pool was closed when we were there, which was about this time of year actually (early april). It was a nice place to stay for sure though!