Moab photo opportunity locations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Moab photo opportunity locations

How do we find the attached locations in Moab? I understand one is on Mag 7/Gold bar & the other Upper Porcupine Singletrack
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moab photo opportunity locations-moabbombsept13-26-900x1200.jpg  

Moab photo opportunity locations-10365354_10203733280037636_7421922802745094246_o.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Didn't you just answer your own question? The top is Gold Bar and the bottom is Porcupine. Those spots are right on the trails.

Formerly of Kent
    How do you find them?

You look at a map, and find the locations on the map where you see all of the following three things: a trail, a cliff edge and a road nearby.

If you can't read a map, don't go to Moab.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Actually the local trails group does such an awesome job of signing and marking the trail, Moab is one of the places you can easily ride without a map, or a GPS, or the ability to use either.

If you ride Gold Bar Rim, or UPS, the locations are pretty obvious. Just ride the trail, and stop for pics when you get there.

e=mtb2
    @sunderland56 - nice to see a courteous reply

Formerly of Kent
    FWIW, there are plenty of poorly marked trails in the greater "Moab" area.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    They are pretty much right on the trail as others have said, but you do have to watch for those exact locations or they'd be easy to miss. I've ridden both of those trails probably 10 times and can't say that I noticed those spots..... but I don't stop much and I wasn't looking for them. Not hidden or secret though. Just watch when you're close to the rim and I'm sure you'll come across them. Remember to keep looking back.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    If you could list the trails and the issues here, I'll get the info to the guy who does the signs. Or send it to the Trail Mix facebook page, they're pretty responsive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post

LMAO. There didn't used to be *any* signs, that's why they sold maps.

Now there is a sign at *every* major road and trail intersection. Holy hell. If you can't navigate your way around Moab, I've got nothing. Climb to any high spot and find the LaSals. Look for landmarks like Monitor & Merrimack, Tombstone Rock, Priest and Nuns, Castle Valley, Fisher Towers, Arches NP, Moab Rim, the Abajos, the river. Look at your map. You don't have a map? Uh Oh.

You can probably find GPS waypoint files for every trail out there as well.

Moab ain't Disneyland yet, but its getting there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Not hidden or secret though. Just watch when you're close to the rim and I'm sure you'll come across them. Remember to keep looking back.
    The picture from the blue dot trail overlooking the highway is absolutely one that you may not even realize you are on a cantilever until you pass it and look back.
    Just feels like you are on a normal spot where the trail weaves out close to the cliff edge and then a little drop down off of it.
    Until you look back and see that you weren't just close to the edge, but on a cantilever.
    Last edited by billj121; 11-03-2017 at 10:15 AM.
    2016 Stumpy 29er

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    LMAO. There didn't used to be *any* signs, that's why they sold maps.

Now there is a sign at *every* major road and trail intersection. Holy hell. If you can't navigate your way around Moab, I've got nothing. Climb to any high spot and find the LaSals. Look for landmarks like Monitor & Merrimack, Tombstone Rock, Priest and Nuns, Castle Valley, Fisher Towers, Arches NP, Moab Rim, the Abajos, the river. Look at your map. You don't have a map? Uh Oh.

You can probably find GPS waypoint files for every trail out there as well.

Moab ain't Disneyland yet, but its getting there.
    You're preaching to the choir here. I can find my location in any mountain area with a compass and a map. Cross section, resection, etc.

It's the people who can't that we're talking about here.

That said, we have things like MTBProject that you can use without service in the hinterlands.
    Death from Below.

trail gnome
    Show of hands, who wants to whip a map and compass out of their camelback and triangulate their position every time they cross an intersection (which may or may not be on the map) versus just glancing at a sign and continuing your ride?

Who on here (active and retired military members excluded) even knows what magnetic declination is?

That intersection you are standing at, is it the one you want to turn right at, or is it a new or unofficial branch that isn't on your map?

The signs aren't for the locals and regulars and expert navigators. They're for the average joe that doesn't know how to operate a compass and doesn't know the area intimately and just wants to ride. And they are a hell of a lot cheaper to install than dispatching SAR all the time.
    Last edited by ray.vermette; 10-24-2017 at 03:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette View Post
    Show of hands, who wants to whip a map and compass out of their camelback and triangulate their position every time they cross an intersection (which may or may not be on the map) versus just glancing at a sign and continuing your ride?

Who on here (active and retired military members excluded) even knows what magnetic declination is?

That intersection you are standing at, is it the one you want to turn right at, or is it a new or unofficial branch that isn't on your map?

The signs aren't for the locals and regulars and expert navigators. They're for the average joe that doesn't know how to operate a compass and doesn't know the area intimately and just wants to ride. And they are a hell of a lot cheaper to install than dispatching SAR all the time.
    I know what magnetic declination is, and I was never in the military. My wife knows, and she was never in the military. My kids know what it is and they were never in the military.

Like I said, Moab isn't Disneyland, but every freaking trail out there is so worn at this point that if you get lost, you are simply not paying attention. If you go riding off into the Utah desert with no map, no GPS, and no clue of where you are going, and have some expectation that there will be a sign to tell you where to go, I suggest you *do not* ride anywhere *but* Moab.

Especially stay away from the Swell and the Maze.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    I know what magnetic declination is, and I was never in the military. My wife knows, and she was never in the military. My kids know what it is and they were never in the military.

Like I said, Moab isn't Disneyland, but every freaking trail out there is so worn at this point that if you get lost, you are simply not paying attention. If you go riding off into the Utah desert with no map, no GPS, and no clue of where you are going, and have some expectation that there will be a sign to tell you where to go, I suggest you *do not* ride anywhere *but* Moab.

Especially stay away from the Swell and the Maze.
    For purely selfish reasons, I hope no one goes to The Maze, ever.

Except me, that is.

Death from Below.

trail gnome
    @peakprowler: go to trailforks.com and look up the trails in question. On the map, under "Layers" make sure "Photos" is selected. Browse through the photos taken along cliff edges. If you find your photo ops, then you know the locations they were taken from. If that doesn't work, try the same approach using Google Earth.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette View Post
    @peakprowler: go to trailforks.com and look up the trails in question. On the map, under "Layers" make sure "Photos" is selected. Browse through the photos taken along cliff edges. If you find your photo ops, then you know the locations they were taken from. If that doesn't work, try the same approach using Google Earth.
    Or....... as a novel idea, since those photo op ledges exist in the thousands you could actually use your individual creativity and find somewhere no one else has published on the internet and not follow the herd......
    Not meant to be rude, just not a follower......

trail gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    Or....... as a novel idea, since those photo op ledges exist in the thousands you could actually use your individual creativity and find somewhere no one else has published on the internet and not follow the herd......
    If you don't want to be rude, try less sarcasm.

Billions of photos have been taken of the Tower of Pisa, the Taj Mahal, Machu Picchu, the Eiffel Tower, the Grand Canyon, and Arches NP. People know that and they just don't care. They still want to take "their" photo. Not everyone aspires to be Ansel Adams.

beater
    Magnetic declination isnít a military secret. Iíd guess the majority who can read topography (without the shaded relief crutch) understand it since itís a standard component of USGS quadrangles. Although with cheap and readily available GPS, thatís a shrinking population.

Years ago I used to print out multiple copies of topo maps from utahmountainbiking.com and Iíd end up handing out several per trip to confused people I found on the trail. Usually at Sovereign.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    Regardless of how many photos they're still rad spots. Especially for a first timer...heck I've been there many times & they still awe me. Using that logic avoid Moab all together.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    ha all this talk of topo maps in Moab is funny...just avoid the sand and you'll be ok