Moab over Thanks Giving- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Moab over Thanks Giving

I am planning on heading out to Moab for Thanksgiving weekend.

Baring any unforeseen weather, what is typically rideable at this time? We were hoping to at least hit lower porc.

mtbr member
    We have our thanksgiving in October up here in Canada, but we also picked Moab over thanksgiving and it was well worth it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    What were you able to ride?

mtbr member
    we landed in denver than drove to grand junction.
    next morning we rode the ribbon trail and the holy cross trail.
    then we headed right for moab.
    next morning we did the amasa back.
    the following day we took the shuttle from chili pepper bike shop up and rode hazard, kokopelli, Lps,and porcupine.
    the rest of our group did the whole enchelada (probably miss spelled).
    they encountered some snow but we were okay.
    following day we rode slick rock.
    then we had a day of rest (beer).
    then on the way back to denver we stopped in fruita and did the horse theif bench trail.
    one of our best trips ever.
    Last edited by trailtrash; 11-08-2009 at 07:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Perfect; thanks. That would be amazing if the whole enchilada was ridable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I rode Kokapellli/UPS/LPS/Porcupine today.

Dry except 20 yards of mud up high. If it dosent snow between now and then, you should be good to go. Hazzard probabably has alot of mud

PS, The LaQuinta is real nice, they just upgraded their rooms. The bathroom has freaking hardwood in it. $89 a night.

mtbr member
    After last weeks storm...is UPS/LPS/Porcipine good to go for this Saturday? Heard Hazard was out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Bump

Just hoping to at least get lower porc in next Friday. There is no projected precipitation between now and then. Hoping it will be rideable.

Mtb Bum

In Moab now

Arrived this morning and will be here until the 29th. What I overheard the guy at the bike shop tell someone was "at the lowest access to Porcupine Rim, you'll still have 4 miles of snow. Try going up from the bottom." I didn't ask if that was upper or lower, but I'm assuming it was upper. I'm not that familiar with the upper section or the access points, but it's not that snowy.

All we did today was the Slickrock Loop. Haven't done that in something like 6 years. Nice, easy first day ride. A lot more motos on it than I remember, but they were all really cool. Guess I'll haul my KTM out here next time and do it myself.

On to bigger adventures here tomorrow. Will definitely be heading out to GJ and Fruita at some point as well.
    Support Lakes Basin and Downieville Trails:

mtbr member
    sounds fun. we wanted to head out there for TG too but chickened out because the weather looked like it was going to be about the same as here in ft collins. maybe next year. is the town very busy?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Weather looks like it will be great for thanksgiving! I think the topography lends itself to drying out faster than typical colorado riding as well.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenda...nav_undeclared

mtbr member
    In Moab over the Thanksgiving holiday? You may have to shift gears and re-discover the awesome desert riding that put us on the map. Porc Rim is not ideal in these colder months but Amasa Back, Slickrock Trail, Bartlett Wash, Seven Mile Rim, Sovereign and many other options are in perfect riding shape. In fact this is the BEST time of year to get out and off the beaten path.
    Marshall
    Owner Uranium Bicycles
    Moab, UT
    www.uraniumbicycles.com

Mtb Bum

Rode from Gemini Bridges today...

Can't recall all the names of the trails, but ended up following some blue dots we found along the top of the cliffs north of town. Fabulous fun!

We were trying get to Portal when we found the dots. For me, about 98% rideable, a few sections would have required more skills than I have, or at least some practice. Also cool because you have to earn that stuff. No easy way, or easy shuttle, up to those. Have to ride the tough stuff on bikes you can climb on.

We did pay a price because we missed the Portal cut off and ended up descending on Poison Spider. Would have been awesome on motos, but all the sand pits kinda suck on mtb's.

Off to Sovereign tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Rode Sovereign today--amazing! This is my first time riding in Moab despite ten years living in the southwest. What other rides are comparable to this one in terms of technical difficulty? I found Sovereign just about perfect. I didn't do any of the red-marked "extreme difficulty" sections, though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Start riding up porcupine rim from the river. It may not be open from the cattle gate for a suttle run but I bet you coudl get some good single track riding in before you hit snow. Technically a bit more difficult than sovereign but worth it.

mtbr member

heading to Moab, with wife and dog

couldn't find lodging for the pooch here in Pocatello, so we might be bring him along...perhaps we will put him up for our long ride day (fri.) at the vet in Moab.

need a dog friendly hotel recommendation and dog boarding reviews
    (we are overprotective pet parents)

appreciate the trail condition info - what is the best guidebook going now?

weather looks awesome...

Mtb Bum

Sovereign was awesome

We met up with some friends from Grand Junction and hit the trails. My first time on the new Salt Wash additions...very nice. We did hit the red extreme danger sections. I think they are just to keep the total kooks out of trouble, they aren't that bad.

Doing a side trip to GJ tomorrow, will be back for more Moab on Wednedsay.

Weather has been great by the way. Crisp and clear, but not too cold.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moab over Thanks Giving-pictures-006.jpg  

Moab over Thanks Giving-pictures-010.jpg  

Moab over Thanks Giving-pictures-011.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by IPA Rider
    couldn't find lodging for the pooch here in Pocatello, so we might be bring him along...perhaps we will put him up for our long ride day (fri.) at the vet in Moab.

need a dog friendly hotel recommendation and dog boarding reviews
    (we are overprotective pet parents)

[/U]
    weather looks awesome...
    I stayed at the LaQuinta with my wife, 6month old son, and dog 3 weeks ago. $80/night. Real nice. Behind it there's a little wooded path you can walk him on. Lots of other dog owners. Didn't charge any pet deposit. Across the street from the Moad Brewery.

I highly recommend it.

Stayed at the Moab Valley in one night before for the same price, plys $10 pet deposit. We moved to the laquinta the next night, that place was a dump.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Man, my spelling sucks.

mtbr member

sovereign

Quote Originally Posted by Erik
    We met up with some friends from Grand Junction and hit the trails. My first time on the new Salt Wash additions...very nice. We did hit the red extreme danger sections. I think they are just to keep the total kooks out of trouble, they aren't that bad.
    (got the pooch hooked up with lodging here at home, so we can have at it)

Say a bit more about the danger sections, as I don't have a feel for the ratings and descriptions (like 'advanced technical' and 'expert only' references on the utahmountainbiking.com website). We have local "double black diamond" trails my wife and I do on a regular basis and they are challenging but not scary.

I think we might warm up with the Brand Trails on the way into town (looking for a fun and scenic intro ride for my wife, who is intermediate, but a trooper), then do Sovereign the next day...but also considering Amasa and Poison Spider

Which is the least likely to have motorheads on it???
    Last edited by IPA Rider; 11-24-2009 at 09:19 AM.

Mtb Bum
    For Sovereign only, the extreme danger sections were mostly due to steepness of terrain. Three of us rode all of them, the other two of us rode parts. So it's not like you couldn't walk a section if you find it's too extreme.

There may be sections on other routes that really mean it when they say double black or extreme danger, or "walk your bike or die." So, just check it out before you totally commit yourself or a loved one.

We just descended Poison Spider and I can't imagine why anyone would climb that thing up from the road unless you're at least somewhat masochistic. Farther up, it's pretty cool. Portal might be a better choice, but heed the warning signs. You can connect over to Poison Spider from the end of Portal and descend if you want to see what it's all about. Get a map. Route finding can be somewhat challenging in places.

Amasa would be fine.

Picture Unrelated
    Amasa is less likely to have motors on it in my experience. Plus Poision Spider is not really fun. The only reason to do it is to get to Portal which, unless you're interested in a half dangerous half really difficult trail, you might as well skip as well. Don't get me wrong, I loved it once we got away from the cliff. Do Amasa, maybe Jackson's when you get up there (my fav Moab trail, but it is not for the faint of heart. Spends a lot of time skirting with serious exposure).

mtbr member

Post T-day debriefing

I could use some perspective on how the T-day weekend compares to the rest of the season, particularly in terms of traffic (people in town, bikes, motos).

We had a good time, despite some minor carnage of bikes and ourselves, and want to get a better sense of how our trip fits in the greater Moab context.

Spaced the camera...so no pix

banned
    I could use some perspective on how the T-day weekend compares to the rest of the season, particularly in terms of traffic (people in town, bikes, motos).

We had a good time, despite some minor carnage of bikes and ourselves, and want to get a better sense of how our trip fits in the greater Moab context.

A Gravity Dropper might reduce some of the carnage on the next trip.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004

Thanksgiving this past weekend was much quieter than earlier in the season. The fact that none of the shuttles were running Porcupine gives you a bit of a picture as to the difference in rider numbers.

The weather was perfect and that is also not always the case for Thanksgiving Weekend so there was still a good number of people out riding. (I passed 19 other riders on Porcupine on Friday afternoon for example).

mtbr member
    Thanksgiving is a little secret for those who are in the know. If the weather is cooperating it is the best riding of the year. But, you can get clobbered as those who were riding on Thanksgiving day learned in 09. There is a nice little buzz around the holiday, not too may people, but enough to show we are a bike town. Lots of people who own condos or 2nd homes are actually here with family.

This year feels like endless summer. We just have day after day of 50's with sun or part clouds.
    Marshall
    Owner Uranium Bicycles
    Moab, UT
    www.uraniumbicycles.com

mtbr member

T-day

funny, I bought a seatpost clamp at your place on T-day...glad you were open.

the weather was indeed great and the vibe in town was pretty nice.

personally, I like fewer people on the trails (particularly when they are on motorcycles)...and this after reading in a local rag that Sovereign was a 'trail less traveled,' providing relative 'solitude.' Super fun trail aside from the traffic. I guess I'll stick to riding in bum-fuk.

bacon! bacon! bacon!

personally, I like fewer people on the trails (particularly when they are on motorcycles)...and this after reading in a local rag that Sovereign was a 'trail less traveled,' providing relative 'solitude.' Super fun trail aside from the traffic. I guess I'll stick to riding in bum-fuk.
    Dang... we rode Sovereign a couple weeks earlier and ran into about 6 people total.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004

Sovereign has been a trade route for quite a while now and as it keeps getting maintained to remove obstacles and make it easier for the masses it's popularity will always be high. Salt Wash sections are still more remote feeling however (at least they were this past weekend, they also might well be more traveled in peak season times).

Trails like gold bar single track are still the ones to head to for a solitude feeling, particularly at this time of the year.

Members who have read this thread: 0