Moab in November?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Moab in November?

Hi. Iím a semi recent Idaho transplant from Washington (school) and never been to Moab. Iím not heading to Washington during the thanksgiving holiday and was thinking what better way to spend it then biking? Anyways, Idaho is to frozen over at that time so the idea of Moab popped in my head. Is it do-able (weather and condition wise) to do it during the thanksgiving holiday?
    I checked some weather for the past year, and it snowed there last year. It looks like snow or rain could be a definite possibility and the weather wonít be the warmest. Just curious if the trails would be snowy, if we would get snow, how packed it would be, if people would be giving out free hot dogs, etc. Thanks.

mtbr member
    My husband and I usually head to a southern Utah destination (from nothern Utah) each Thanksgiving in hopes of warmer weather. This time of year can vary in Moab. Last year, were intending on going to Moab for Thanksgiving - car packed and all - however we bagged it in the end because we were sick. Our friends did go to Moab however.

It was down right cold in the teens and twenties at night - they camped at Sand Flats, quite chilly in the day low 40s I think? But I remember a big storm system coming in to. We had several inches of snow in northern Utah, and there was even a dusting of snow in Moab. They ended up spending a few days of their trip over in Wayne County, Capitol Reef NP area. Anyway, they said it was warmer over there at this time.

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/summary/climsmut.html

According to this site, November highs are 56.9 and lows are 28.1 in Moab. Even an average of 0.6 inches of snow fall.

But these friends I was mentioning are going to go down to Moab again this Thanksgiving.

So it could be a hit or miss. That's my $0.02. I'd say it's worth a try, but that's a long drive from Idaho. I'd keep a back up plan that's a little more south and/or west just in case maybe?
    Last edited by Shannon-UT; 10-15-2004 at 11:11 AM.