Moab in November???- Mtbr.com

Jun 2004

Moab in November???

I was planning on heading out to Moab in October but do to circumstances beyond my control the trip keeps getting pushed out. Is it still worth going that late? I don't mind riding in the cold. Can anyone point out the rides I should do? I could probably spend 5 days there and want to make the most of them. How about cheap hotels?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Nov.

Search around, you'll see several threads about Moab in November.

Squalls can move through, but they generally don't last long. If you like 30-50F temps, the riding is great. They've had a lot of moisture lately and the sand is more rideable than usual.

I saw a motel by Chile Pepper this past weekend advertising $30 a night on their sign. The Halloween Bike Fest was this weekend and the hotels were not full. Unless you are going around Thanksgiving, I would just roll into town and negotiate. Pickup a copy of the 'Moab Happenings' at the City Market and start calling around. The motels should be pretty empty. They do usually fill up for Thanksgiving.

All the usual rides, other than those in the La Sals, should be rideable, unless a recent big snowstorm has gone through.

Quote Originally Posted by blockhead
    I was planning on heading out to Moab in October but do to circumstances beyond my control the trip keeps getting pushed out. Is it still worth going that late? I don't mind riding in the cold. Can anyone point out the rides I should do? I could probably spend 5 days there and want to make the most of them. How about cheap hotels?

Whatever

Sovereign Trail was perfect last weekend

Did Sovereign Trail last weekend (11/6) and it was perfect. Low to mid 60's and sunny.

Stayed at Inca Inn and it was $29/night. Gonzo and other hotels were also $29.

The Moab Folk Festival was that weekend, so the restaurants were a bit crowded, but we only had to wait 15 minutes at most anywhere. And the trails were not crowded at all. Only ran across two motorcycles the entire weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by blockhead
    I just got back from my first time in Moab. I too was concerned that I had left it too late in the year, but the weather was perfect while I was there. I heard it was cooler the previous week, but I don't know specifics.

As for accommodation, I found a place at a good rate on travelocity. It seems like the town is quite busy Fri/Sat evenings but is otherwise quiet, so this might influence whether you should book ahead or not. Or you could book ahead for the first night and then try to find a better deal once you're in town.

In terms of trails, 5 days will only be a tip of the iceberg. Slickrock and Porcupine Rim are probably mandatory, as they are the trails that put Moab on the map. I found most of the shops to be helpful and all had a comparable selection of maps & guidebooks. I would also recommend Acme shuttles.

SingleTrackSal

Another Option

I always head to Moab in November as the weather is usually accomodating and the crowds are minimal to non-existent. I've even hit it in December and found it to be great riding as well. The only limiting factor this late in the year is daylight, so keep an eye on the time as you don't want to be caught out on the rock after dark; it gets cold quickly.
    As for lodging, I always stay at the Redstone Inn, which is just east of the Chevy dealership down towards the east end of town. Real nice folks, can keep bikes in the rooms, and cheap.
    Here's a plus for early December. I think it's the first weekend of December the town puts on a nighttime holiday parade where Main Street goes dark and illuminated floats take center stage. You can throw some lights on your bike and join up with the contingent of local mountain bikers and ride in the parade.
    Enjoy!

Members who have read this thread: 0