mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Moab in November?

Hey folks, I'm planning a 4-5 day Moab trip with some buddies and was wondering what trail conditions are typically like in early November. None of us have ever ridden in Moab so we'd like to hit all the classics if possible - we ride mostly in Squamish BC so at that time of year it'll be especially nice to get away from PNW sog. Cheers!
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Well, Discover Moab's website states that the average high in November is 56 degrees and the average low is 27 (13 & 3 celsius). 56 is perfect riding weather for my tastes and being from Canada, that's probably a virtual heat wave several months of the year. I expect some locals to come on here wit more detailed info as I'm sure it can snow in November at higher elevations which could effect your ability to ride The Whole Enchilada....the ultimate ride in Moab to many folks.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

Moderator Moderator
    The desert riding will be great, bring a couple layers for the start (and end, if you're out all day) of the ride.

The higher elevations might just barely still be rideable, or they might be snowed in. Depends on the season and the weather gods.

Camping will be cold but if you're used to that, you're fine. Tourist season will be winding down so hotels will be somewhat more reasonable.

I love Moab in November, personally. Go for it.

-Walt

Keep on Rockin...
    I was just about to post and ask...

When is roughly the latest one can plan to hit Moab and most likely be able to do TWE?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    I was just about to post and ask...

When is roughly the latest one can plan to hit Moab and most likely be able to do TWE?
    I've read and was told a few times while planning an October trip 2-3 years ago that anything after mid-October is risky.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    I generally ride Moab all or most of October and sometimes the first week of November for the past maybe 5 years. The upper trails of The Whole Enchilada will almost certainly be closed although I've heard that November riding is sometimes possible. Other than that, from my experience the weather is great! I haven't encountered freezing temps and only ride with my shorts and tees.

I had 20 years in Alaska, Russia, and worse yet, a year in Seattle. Add to that 3 years of skiing about 100 days a year. I hate cold and wet and I would be out of there fast. I've never left Moab in the fall due to cold or wet and sometimes I'm camping.

A lot quieter then in town and on the trails.

Of course the snow situation isn't consistent through the years. Three years ago they were riding the Tahoe Rim Trail in January. This year we hope it will be snow free by late July.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.