mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Moab the next couple of weeks?

Heading down to Moab in about a week and a half to do some riding. Probably not the ideal time, but it's all we could do with our work schedules. We're coming from -30 C temps, so anything above freezing will seem downright tropical. Any locals here could tell me what conditions are like right now? I realize higher elevation stuff will be no go, but am hoping to get some sort of plan worked out ahead of time. Thanks for any insight.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
    Heading down to Moab in about a week and a half to do some riding. Probably not the ideal time, but it's all we could do with our work schedules. We're coming from -30 C temps, so anything above freezing will seem downright tropical. Any locals here could tell me what conditions are like right now? I realize higher elevation stuff will be no go, but am hoping to get some sort of plan worked out ahead of time. Thanks for any insight.
    Unless a big storm rolls through, everything below 7,000ft or so should be good to go. Been warm-ish there for a while. And, a friend of mine lives in town and, judging by her IG posts, is doing quite a bit of riding.

So, most of the riding areas other than TWE or the stuff in the Abajos. Lower Porc is probably good to go.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks. We're so tired of fat biking and trainers that any dirt is going to be welcome. Just want to get some long days in.

mtbr member
    Rode with a Canadian guy today down here in St George eh (where it was 70 F). He was on a road trip from Fernie and had just left Moab yesterday eh and he said it was perfect up there as well eh....
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    This actually IS an ideal time! Plenty of riding available. We drove over Sunday and rode Navajo Rocks and when we finished at like 11:15 it was 53 degrees. No sign of snow anywhere. Even up in the La Sals looks bare. So I'd agree that you could ride at least as high as Porcupine, Mag7, etc....

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Beauty. Sounds just aboot perfect. Thanks eh!

Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Rode with a Canadian guy today down here in St George eh (where it was 70 F). He was on a road trip from Fernie and had just left Moab yesterday eh and he said it was perfect up there as well eh....

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Great, thanks. We’re thinking ride late morning till late afternoon and we’ll get plenty of trails in. Looks like we’ll have about 2.5 - 3 days.

Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    This actually IS an ideal time! Plenty of riding available. We drove over Sunday and rode Navajo Rocks and when we finished at like 11:15 it was 53 degrees. No sign of snow anywhere. Even up in the La Sals looks bare. So I'd agree that you could ride at least as high as Porcupine, Mag7, etc....

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    The local bike shops post trail info on Facebook. Or just call them.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.